[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok /x/ serious question I know salt allegedly deals with gots

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 17907.jpg (401KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
17907.jpg
401KB, 2560x1536px
Ok /x/ serious question I know salt allegedly deals with gots and demons, but why. What's so special about it. It's a stable compound albeit made of unstable elements but stable. Almost all animal cells use it and need it so why does it work on ghosts and shit.
>>
>>18310730
Its an electrolyte. Ghosts pride themselves on being so pale, so they avoid it
>>
Old pagan beliefs implied they cannot cross salt boundaries because it drew out their essence.
Also, saltwater is purifying. Perhaps it was used for the sick back then and believed to make the demons go out, whilst in reality it was only making a person healthier thanks to the saltwater having healing effects.
>>
>>18310730
Depends.
Salt is decidedly natural and necessary for the living, as you pointed out nearly all animals require it in some ammount. So, the unnatural and unliving could be reasoned to have an animosity towards it.
>>
>>18310730

I guess maybe it has to do with:

1) being symbolic of earth, the classic element most removed from etheric shit
2) being a "pure" or apparently so subtance
3) being amply used since ancient times to forestall decay and rotting, this makes it a "purifying" substance
4) regarded in ancient times as intrinsically valuable and used as currency

It's a valuable, pure and purifying form of earth, of course it's good against spirits, bad vibes and spooky shit.

And I'd say that the scientific facts you pointed out don't go against the grain of what I said. It's essential to life but toxic in excess quantities: hence it's *potent*, and again, earthly.

It's a stable and comparatively less toxic compound of two highly-reactive elements, this can be seen as a restrained inner strength, which kinda rolls well together with holiness and potency.
>>
>serious question
>gots and demons
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>18310770
Replace "why is" with "why is it believed" and you can read the question without tipping all over the board anon-kun
>>
>>18310771
based
>>
>>18310730

Cause that shit burns, and it'll kill you if you have too much of it.

Ghosts are already salty on account of being dead.
>>
>>18310730
For the same reason arsenic isn't toxic to aliens. Same reason gold burns skinwalkers. They're made of different stuff than we are.
>>
>>18310730
it's folklore it doesn't have to make any sense.

why would throwing it over your shoulder if you spill any keep you from having bad luck?

does knocking on wood have some kind of tangible quantum effect?
>>
>>18313050
Reffering back to
>>18310771
It's what's the reasoning or intuition behind it. Salt over shoulder I believed was meant to blind the imp of mischief that was poised to vex you once you spilled the salt. Knocking on wood was meant to dispel or appease wood sprites, as to prevent them from ruining whatever you had just mentioned.
>>
>>18310761
>Also, saltwater is purifying.
This. In addition salt was prized as a food preservative. If you don't know shit because you lived 2000 years ago, this preserving ability seems like magic.
>>
>>18310730
>unstable elements
are you actually fucking retarded?
>>
Think of it like this:
>Old-timey time with old-timey logic
>See food perishing
>Throw some salt on it
>See food lasting longer/not-perishing
>Salt must protect against negative entities
>>
>>18310730
Salt is what separates Nammu from Abzu.

The rest is self explanatory.
>>
>>18310767
Wow i learned something on /x/
Wtf.
>>
>>18313491

Sigh.

Not everybody can be a chemist, you know? OP probably meant reactive - as opposed to inert or noble, IIRC pure sodium fucking explodes on contact with water, and chlorine is freaking toxic and corrosive.
>>
>>18313581

Thanks, I wrote that post.

Glad to be of use, you're welcome :)
>>
>>18313595
They combine to form a substance much less reactive.
>>
>>18310730
>>
File: 1452131501021.jpg (199KB, 900x633px) Image search: [Google]
1452131501021.jpg
199KB, 900x633px
deamons are sulfur biased , salt eats sulfur.
>>
>>18310730

Gos is ectoplasms, salt is osmotism, when flying salt crash into the ectoplasmon, osmosis occurs and it hurts them bad.

Gos no like salt.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.