[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what happened in roanoke

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: skoo-y.png (226KB, 632x398px) Image search: [Google]
skoo-y.png
226KB, 632x398px
what happened in roanoke
>>
>>18288272
i was actually looking up theories a couple days ago but i cant find any interesting or paranormal ones if you know any id like to here them
>>
>>18288272
some natives killed them a few stayed alive and lived with them
>>
File: received_2143714385853795.gif (1MB, 498x372px) Image search: [Google]
received_2143714385853795.gif
1MB, 498x372px
Time travel.

In the future an angry native american descendant will go back and try to stop the colony because he/she thinks it will save her people from being slaughteted. Its a paradox though because he wouldnt exist without it happening so he goes back and moves them into another location maybe even another dimension.
>>
>>18288272
I always believed that nothing paranormal was associated with what happened in North Carolina. The natives came, killed male and took the women for sport. It was easier to allow a paranormal explanation to become a myth at the time than for the British to spread fear throughout the other Colonies that the native Americans could come and destroy you utterly. I also don't believe this is the only case when this happened. It is solely the only example that survived recorded history.
>>
>>18288272
They literally carved the name of the island they went.
>>
>>18288981
I came here to say this
>>
>>18288272
They moved in with the natives and they fucked.
>>
>>18288272
Stays in roanoke
>>
Raids most likely, combined with a harsh winter and the supply ships being late. No spoops.

It doesn't explain the food left out on tables bit though....
>>
>>18288981
>>18289169
>>18289172
>>18292414
this sounds the most logical

>>18292506
but what if they mated with bigfoot

crazy theory. bigfoot is an ancient family line of homosapiens with a disorder that causes thick body hair. they're also all naturally tall af and absolutely ripped. since their genes are so alpha and dominant, they pass on their genes by seducing humans and making a slightly smaller generation of bigfeet.
>>
>>18288272
Roanoak was the name of a nearby island inhabited by natives. Their shitty settlement couldn't make it through the winter so they went to go move in with them.

The carving was just to tell people where they fucked off to.
>>
>>18288395
This.
>>
As numerous others have said, they just went to the Croatoan place or whatever. It's amazing to me that people still try to make this a spoopy thing
>>
File: Croatoan-1.jpg (143KB, 765x403px) Image search: [Google]
Croatoan-1.jpg
143KB, 765x403px
They were like us until they discovered the soul
>>
>>18292997
Roanoke was the name of where THEY settled, you moron. What you're thinking of is Croatoan.
>>
>>18292773
>It doesn't explain the food left out on tables bit though....
Myth. What's actually the case is that there was no evidence of fighting.
>>
File: Croatoan-Roanoke old map.jpg (466KB, 648x1323px) Image search: [Google]
Croatoan-Roanoke old map.jpg
466KB, 648x1323px
Here's a few points.

1) John White, who you may know as the guy who found the colony abandoned in 1590, drew up a map of the area in 1585. That, the 'Virginea Pars Map', is pic related. If you look closely at the fork in the river, you'll see an irregular, roughly square area. This is a paper patch pasted over the original surface, which when viewed using proper equipment clearly reveals reveals that there is a fortress at the river's fork. (I'll post a picture of that in another post.) When and why the fort was censored from the map is as yet unknown.

2) Two years' worth of archaeological investigation have now taken place at the site of that fort. These archaeological investigations have recovered large quantities of a type of ceramic called Surrey-Hampshire Borderware.

For those of you who aren't archaeologists, the company that manufactured SHBW went out of business in 1624, meaning there were definitively Englishmen at that site sometime before 1624.

3) It's also a known fact that John White had also planned to move the colony 'at least 50 miles inland' when he returned, because there were no reliable sources of fresh water on Roanoke Island. It's not inconceivable that the colonists, having come to the same conclusions, might have taken the initiative to move the colony while he was away.

4) White returned to England in 1587. We know now from tree rings that the American East Coast suffered a record-breaking, crippling drought in the years of 1587-1589, exacerbating the Roanoke freshwater problem mentioned above. This could more than conceivably have driven the colonists further upriver in search of water and farmland.

While it's possible that some of the colonists might have travelled to Croatoan, the drought was severe enough that it crippled a number of First Nations communities up and down the coast, more than likely including the Croatoan. They simply wouldn't have had the resources to take in the entire colony, (continued in new post)
>>
>>18288272
I don't know, why don't you tell me a little about it?
>>
>>18295045
(Continued, with Roanoke fort gif)
...although the colonists may have left their own establishment not knowing this, hence the message that they were travelling to Croatoan.

5) One last point, albeit a minor one. The later Jamestown colony launched an expedition looking for the Roanoke colonists. They never made it even as far as the river's mouth, thanks to shaky relations with the native Americans in the area at the time, but their planned search route would have led them directly to the fort site.
>>
>>18292336
Kek
>>
>>18295045
Addendum, something that I missed:
>John White had also planned to move the colony 'at least 50 miles inland' when he returned
'50 miles' is White's own words, and the fort is exactly 49.32 nautical miles from the Roanoke colony site.
>>
Good ol fashioned evacuation. Where they went who knows. But it sounds like they all knew they were gonna leave and when the caravan started rolling everyone dropped what they were doing (including meals) and left with the pack.

My guess as to why? Probably drought and lack of food supplies
>>
>>18295075
This, The man in the big buckle hat said it was time to go. I always fantasied them going native but I'm sure the Indians wanted nothing to do with them once they got that second square fort up. It didn't become legend till later and once the flood gates opened with colonization, the small church town fort became a thing of the past.
>>
didnt injuns come and fuck their women and kill the men to prove that they werent "noble" savages?
>>
Well some people set up a thing there and then pulled an Amelia Erheart except without a plane like they just disappeared. No one really knows what happened to them.
>>
Probably just hauled ass. It's almost hard to imagine but a t the time communication was in its infancy. Sometimes if letters got fucked or a message didn't go through people just kinda vanished. Of they up and bailed it would have been hard to get a record of why they left or where they went.
>>
Everyone was gone and the name of a nearby indian tribe was carved into a tree, this doesn't take a genius to figure out

Imagine being the guy who carved that into the tree, ready to leave into the wilderness where you will almost certainly die

then in the future people start making up retarded stories about it instead
>>
>>18295045
>>18295062

You seem to know a lot about this. Would you be able to point me in the right direction RE: research/talk me through some stuff at some point?

I'm a screenwriter and I've been looking for a good "Early America" story for a period piece. This seems like fertile ground for some good ole artistic license.

Is there maybe a throwaway email you could use or something?
>>
File: 18!132118b .jpg (60KB, 503x547px) Image search: [Google]
18!132118b .jpg
60KB, 503x547px
>>
>>18295922
One of the subplots in House of Leaves is about Roanoke.
>>
>>18296090
I'll have to give it a read!
>>
They resettled in Ocracoke, possibly with natives.

/thread

P.S. I lived there for nearly 10 years :)
>>
Wasn't there some genetics study a few years back that pretty much settled they moved in and intermarried with a tribe that was named you know, fucking Croatoan?
>>
>>18288272
The colonists felt they were left for dead after 3 fucking years so they decided to integrate with the natives. Those who were racist or didn't want to renounce their Baptist faith were exiled and left to be kept prisoner, raped, or killed by less friendly natives. How hard is this shit to decipher people, really?
>>
American Horror Story got it 100% correct.
>>
>>18296253
There's literally zero evidence for that.
>>
It's called "going native" ... White people think they have a dominant culture so it doesn't make sense to them why someone would assimilate therefore spooks/propaganda.
>>
>>18295045
>>18295062
This is interesting and plausible, but I want to know more about the fort. Is it mentioned in other records? Has there been an attempt to find it?
>>
>>18298591
>Has there been an attempt to find it?
>>18295045
>2) Two years' worth of archaeological investigation have now taken place at the site of that fort.
What I mentioned in that post is basically all we know about the fort. The archaeological investigations I mentioned haven't found any evidence of actual fortifications (as in large stone or wood walls designed to secure the interior), but they did find massive amounts of European ceramics and other artifacts including (If I recall) clay pipes and a sword hilt.

You know what, here's a list of everything we know about the Fort.

1) European settlers definitively lived there at some point before 1624, because ceramics were found there that were no longer manufactured after that date.

2) European settlers probably lived there in some capacity around 1585, because that's the date that White marked it on his map.

3) At some point, for some reason, someone tried to censor it from White's map.

4) It's almost exactly 50 nautical miles from Roanoke, the same distance White wrote that he intended to move the Roanoke colony on his return.
>>
>>18298686
>>18295045
As an addendum, here's another handful of tidbits I found out about the colony.

1) Sir Walter Raleigh had intended to use it as a base for privateering operations against competing European settlements in the New World, and the Spanish had apparently discovered this and were actively attempting to destroy it during the latter half of the 1580s. The only mention of this in the official records is the discovery of structural remains on Roanoke in 1590, which the Spanish allegedly assumed was an outpost of a larger colony in Chesapeake Bay.

2) There's also evidence that the colony may have split up and gone in two entirely separate directions. An archaeological dig on Hatteras Island, formerly known as - wouldn't you know it - Croatoan, uncovered European artifacts dateable to the end of the 16th Century, including gunflints, coins, and a signet ring, the crest on which was traced to the Kendall family, who were known to have had members in Roanoke.

3) When John Smith and the Jamestown settlers arrived in 1607, they began asking nearby natives about the fate of the Roanoke colonists. Allegedly (Emphasis on allegedly), Chief Powhatan told him that the people of Roanoke had joined the Chesepian tribe of Chesapeake Bay, but had not survived the massacre of the Chesepians enacted by Powhatan himself sometime in 1606. Allegedly (again, emphasis) Powhatan himself had personally sought out and killed all of the Roanoke survivors, because of a prophecy that the Chesepians, guided by the white men, would destroy the Powhatan Confederacy. I say 'allegedly', because there is no archaeological evidence to support this event, and Smith's account of Powhatan's report contained a number of glaring inconsistencies with Native culture. It's generally believed today that Smith fabricated the account as an excuse to drive away Powhatan and his people.
>>
Bippity bumpity boo
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.