[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /x/ think of Wicca?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: 1418625491657.png (169KB, 1094x836px) Image search: [Google]
1418625491657.png
169KB, 1094x836px
What does /x/ think of Wicca?
>>
A half-truth is often worse than an outright lie.
>>
It's a politically-correct cuck religion. Stay far far away.
>>
Wicca 101:
>A long time ago, western europeans practiced witchcraft and animism
>it was very popular
>they fucking murdered all of them even across to the new world
>european witchcraft traditions basically died
>enter Gardner
>We lost our traditions so Im going to take all these scraps and pieces and paste them together with shit from Aleister Crowley
>some shit about goddess and moon power
>10 billion books about this subject all of them with titles like "love spells and how to make shit in your kitchen" or "girls are awesome and holy, boys are stupid and smell"
>ten gorillion second and third wave feminists fall in love with the matriarchal viewpoint and goddess worship, and completely ignore the actual origins, and even gardners original work, opting for a 99% new age crystal atlantis belief structure that is completely divorced from any of the teachings or practices its supposedly based on.
>SO MOTE IT BE
>>
meme
>>
>>18282124
Please don't blame the Freemasons for this shit.
>>
File: tumblr_nd8ph4azHR1sk9rv8o1_500.jpg (113KB, 500x570px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nd8ph4azHR1sk9rv8o1_500.jpg
113KB, 500x570px
Modern male semi-wiccan here
I do practical/mind magic, and my background is eastern/asian mixed with world culture/faith
I DO NOT practice wicca per se, but I draw extremely heavily on it for inspiration.
If anything, I'm a kitchen-witch. Sup.

PIC RELATED: This is the most interesting/informative pic about witching that I found on the net, and it's similar to what I practice in theory and style :)

Ask me (nearly anything)
>>
>>18282138
>Freemasons
just another thing wicca stole from other practices and beliefs, the masons had it first.
>>
>>18282154
if youre not participating in wiccan sabbats, don't follow the rede and arent initiated, you're not wiccan.

Call yourself what you are, a witch. Or if you prefer, sorcerer, conjurer, wizard, warlock or whatever. If you're not practicing wicca with wiccans, you're not one.
>>
>>18282124
who started that god/goddess moon shit?
>>
>>18282090
>>18282124
>>18282133

These things
>>
>>18282204
more than a few people who all decided it sounded like a good idea when they found out that ancient animist and pagan western europeans had goddess figures in their pantheon. This was apparently some kind of a fucking revelation to these people, when in actuality every animist faith ever has had goddess figures. Instead of using goddess figures from an established and functioning tradition, they made up their own practices based on what scant information they had about European goddesses. Then they just co-opted all the female deities from other faiths and claimed them for themselves.
>>
>>18282157
I actually had no idea wiccans said it too.
>>
>>18282180
Fair enough. I never claimed to be a "Wiccan"
But I am a semi-wiccan, honorary by some groups I've worked with, practice it under tutelage, albeit not formally or recognised amongst other wiccans,
Im not hard-core every-sabbath gardinerian-or-otherwise type.
I have usually been treated by respect, and in turn, I acknowledge my wiccan roots, ideals and such, but I rarely refer to myself as a wiccan, unless it's to make implicit support or statement to another witch/wiccan.
So far, most wiccans don't mind that if I call myself "semi-wiccan" and I certainly don't think of myself as a full-fledged Wiccan
I believe in ancient witchcraft, spanning back many countries and ages.
>>
>>18282229
well, the more you learn!
I honestly had no intent of bringing the freemasons into this, if wicca was influenced or inspired by freemasonry at all, it was through theft and appropriation.

>>18282263
I was only so adamant about it because there are ten gorillion witchcraft, folk magic, and other traditions across the world with their own history, back stories, traditions, practices and techniques. Wicca seems to have gobbled up about 75% of them and labeled them all "wicca" to the point that people are practicing things from other traditions that they dont even KNOW are from those traditions.

I am not a stickler for dogma, by all means practice whatever witchcraft or magical techniques work for you. But for fucks sake, know where they come from. Dont practice a stregha egg cleansing or a hoodoo jar spell, or an invocation to Inana and call it "wicca"... it's erasing fucking thousands of years of history and if modern wiccans and neo-pagans arent careful, theyll kill more witches than the last 3000 years combined, simply through historical revisionism.
>>
>>18282229
Freemasons "CRAFT" = WitchCRAFT
>>
>>18282300
Fair enough. I think the history is mostly destroyed now anyway, time for a reboot and we reimagine, rebirth and recreate it all.
>>
>>18282300
Are you male or female? Coven? etc.
>>
>>18282301
you are ignorant.
Freemasonry is an initiatory western mystery order.
Wicca is a modern neo-pagan animist religion.
Witchcraft is a set of practices, usually unique to the individual practitioner.

"Not my religion" != "witchcraft"

>>18282304
the european history is heavily destroyed, but the stregha the curandero the roma, the seidr, the african diaspora, american hoodoo, baltic witchcraft, and even a great deal of cunning tradition was NOT destroyed, it survived, but it is BEING destroyed by the careless cultural and historical revisionism of people who cant be bothered to actually read about the things they supposedly believe in and respect.

Im not suggesting that we not keep writing new pages to the story and evolving, but maybe we should actually read the rest of the story before writing the new pages. Wicca is fine but they need a SHITLOAD more historians and people with some cultural respect for these traditions, and a lot less Silver Ravenwolf "teen magic to pass your exams" fluffy bullshit.

Fuck half the people I talk to think sage smudging is a "witchcraft" practice. There are still first nation peoples practicing this today, in our own goddamned backyard and were erasing the history as its occurring, and it needs to be protected, before even the people who practice this shit forget everything about it. Again.
>>
>>18282312
male, non-coven, solitary and eclectic. Hang out with church wiccans all day erryday and listen to their shit incessantly. My practice is probably 60% historical/anthropological and sociological research, 30% magical research
and 10% actual magic, on a good day.

Im just so belligerent about it because in one breath theyll mention the burning-times and how witchcraft was almost destroyed, and then talk about sage smudging, yoga, and new-age as being "wiccan". Theyre doing more damage than the crusades and the inquisition ever did.
>>
>>18282330
Freemasonry: Sacred Geometry, rites etc.
Craft = Witchcraft (loosely speaking)
The parallels between Masonry and Witchcraft are unignorable. They are basically wizards and have robes, staffs, altars etc. and Craft really is Witchcraft, just under a different name,

Sage smudging is a magical practice and one of the first witch-y acts that a person does.
It's inherently magical
MYSTICAL HERB + FIRE + INTENTION = CLEANLINESS
Next you're going to say meditation is not spiritual.

It's okay if some of the witching knowledge is lost.
Most of it wasn't very good anyway.
Not to say it isn't historically relevant or interesting.
Just culturally out-dated and meaningless in a modern world.
Sage-smudging is one of the better practices and habits of a witch. I have no idea why you think otherwise.
>>
>>18282355
>Freemasonry: Sacred Geometry, rites etc.
this is a laughable oversimplification and misunderstanding of the order.

>The parallels between Masonry and Witchcraft are unignorable
WHICH witchcraft? Modern wiccan witchcraft? European traditional craft? Yeah there may be some parallels. Baltic witchcraft? less so. Kemetic, or afro-carribean witchcraft? There are nearly no parallels, besides surface shit like:
>MYSTICAL HERB + FIRE + INTENTION = CLEANLINESS
Im not saying that burning sage for cleansing isn't a widely practiced thing, Im saying the specific act of doing so with a tied sage bundle, counter clockwise, in an abalone shell with a bird feather IS of a specific cultural background, and it's not gardnerian wicca. We shouldnt allow cultural uniqueness to be destroyed by casual indifference and ignorance.

>Next you're going to say meditation is not spiritual.
Why would I ever say that? I will say that most modern meditative techniques come from eastern traditions, ayurvedic, tantric, etc. not modern neo-paganism or wicca, and to ignore that is to erase thousands of years of history.

>It's okay if some of the witching knowledge is lost.
Yeah its totally awesome when we destroy human progress and knowledge.

>Not to say it isn't historically relevant or interesting.
Im not surprised you find this to be of only secondary significance

>Just culturally out-dated and meaningless in a modern world.
Well, let's just burn all the history books and ban all old religion, fuck learning from our mistakes or keeping a record right?

>Sage-smudging is one of the better practices and habits of a witch. I have no idea why you think otherwise.
No, energetic and spiritual cleansing is a good habit, this can be achieved by the ritual burning of sage, but the smudging ritual that's been adulterated and altered by neo-pagans has little connection to its native roots. Mimicking and plagiarizing from other cultural practices and labeling it "wicca" is very bad form.
>>
All schools of organized magic suffer dogmatism akin to the Cathars.
>>
>>18282412
I agree with much of what you say, and I'm impressed by the depth of your knowledge.

However, I do not agree that all forms are good forms.
We should remove the clutter and not-needed to make room for new techniques.
>>
>>18282330
>muh cultural appropriashun

Fuck off, SJW.
>>
File: 1477776823600.jpg (52KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1477776823600.jpg
52KB, 300x300px
>>18282412
Hello
I love you
Won't you get in my van
>>
>>18282424
Im glad that were agreeing on some things, Id rather find common ground..
>I do not agree that all forms are good forms.
This is subjective though and...
>We should remove the clutter and not-needed to make room for new techniques.
How do we even know if they're new if we dont keep proper track of the old? This process should be an individual effort, to remove that which doesnt work and add that which does. And all the while, it is my opinion, that we should not allow these traditions and culturally unique practices to get lost in a mire where we forget its origins. Again Im not advocating dogmatic adherence to outdated or ineffective methods, but I AM advocating a knowledge of their origins. We need to know where we came from to know where were going.

>>18282429
>SJW
fucking please, Im of the opinion that anyone should be able to practice anything, whites should practice afro-carribean traditions, native americans should practice vedic astrology, hindus should practice hoodoo, fucking whatever. Its human history, we should be exercising it regardless of race.

The appropriation Im talking about here is not of the cultural variety, it is of the "oh look at this cultural technique with 6000 years of history, I can totally slap this in a book aimed at teen readers and tell them I came up with it, theyll eat this shit up.". There is a difference between appropriation and appreciation, and that dividing line is knowledge and respect for it's origins and history. Anyone should be able to practice anything, but give credit where its due.
>>
>>18282471
I'm glad we agree.
Look, the truth is, magic is inventive.
Why be restricted by the technology or culture of a hundred years ago?
Nowadays we have electronics and information networks which make for much better magickal tools.

I concur that it wouldn't be very good if we lost our heritage, but the proliferation of information means the likelihood is low.
>>
>>18282085
Shit tier edgy teen bull crap. If you want to experience real magick, you won't find it in the same book seller where you bought your copy of Twilight.
>>
>>18282482
Oh Im totally in that boat with you, the opportunities for modern electronics and information networks is mindblowing, and its already started opening up huge new paradigms for magical techniques.

Again I am NOT advocating sticking to old, or outdated methods, but we need to know what those methods were, understand the rules, understand the principles of what has gone before, so that we use the current to its greatest effect. Theres no point reinventing the wheel, or saying we invented it, thats a waste of time and resource. We need to know who invented it, why, how it was practiced, and then develop new practices from the theory involved in the practice.

What so many are currently doing is taking old practices, lightly altering or diluting them, re-labeling them as "modern" and in the process, erasing the tradition from history. We can do better, we are better.

I understand your position that the chance for loss of heritage is low, but I disagree with it. I am concerned that the proliferation of information can actually speed up the loss of heritage simply through an infinite dilution.

Since information now spreads much faster (both accurate, inaccurate, well-meaning and ill-intended) it means that the old information can be "overwritten" much more quickly. We need people who are historians and culture-keepers, knowledge keepers.

Its ironic to me that "wicca" deriving from "wicce" means "wise one" and there is a tradition in all of these forms of folk magic, that it's practitioners are the keepers of tradition, the keepers of knowledge, the wise ones who remember the shit everyone else has forgotten...
Weve got to hold on to that whether we call ourselves witches, chaotes, sorcerors, cunning folk or whatever... historian is part of the job description.
>>
>>18282515
Cheers for the info and good points.
I will consider this in my meditations.
Blessed be.
>>
>>18282546
and to you, be well.
>>
File: A House Divided.png (759KB, 710x698px) Image search: [Google]
A House Divided.png
759KB, 710x698px
Relevant to the argument in this thread.
>>
File: 1476167491148-b.jpg (60KB, 516x602px) Image search: [Google]
1476167491148-b.jpg
60KB, 516x602px
>>18282471
" I can totally slap this in a book aimed at teen readers and tell them I came up with it, theyll eat this shit up."

thesis statement.

thank you Gardner fit making paganism almost sorta kinda mainstream. fuck you for letting your followers bastardize it. although a lot of the information that was regurgitated was not backed by internet research. the internet made everything easier.
>>
>>18282085
>What does /x/ think of Wicca?
The general consensus seems to be that while it can be a legit (made up but sincere) pagan faith, most people who call themselves Wiccans are fat Tumblr Feminists who are doing it for the wrong reasons.
>>
>>18282090
This anon knows.
>>
>>18282085
New-age tumblerina attention whoring
>>
>>18283898
>>
>>18282085
Harmless but dumb, if Wiccans could really do magic they wouldn't all be poor.
>>
>>18282124
Drop the Mic...

End the thread!
>>
>>18283898
this
>>
>>18282095
>politically-correct
Maybe in the 90's.

You realize that all those teen Wiccans who grew up watching The Craft and reading Silver Ravenwolf novels are in their thirties now? And, like every other religious group, Wiccans are starting to lose their patience with the PC crowd.

I'm not a Wiccan myself (Muslim), but I have some Wiccan friends. And they're all getting pretty sick and tired of SJW's interrupting their sacred festivals with screams of "racism!" and "cultural appropriation!"
>>
After reading this thread, I realize the main difference between Wiccans and Chaotes is that Wiccans make stuff up and claim that it's hundreds of years old, while Chaotes take stuff that's hundreds of years old and claim they invented it.
>>
They are breaking up now.
>>
>>18284139
Because rich people are rich because they've tapped into the divine mystic essence of the universe, and not because they're sociopaths who are good at exploiting man-made systems, right? :^)
>>
File: 1454074198086.jpg (53KB, 598x668px) Image search: [Google]
1454074198086.jpg
53KB, 598x668px
>>18282124
nail on the head
>>
>>18284206
>And, like every other religious group, Wiccans are starting to lose their patience with the PC crowd.
Wrong, Wicca is tied to third wave feminism. Go look at wiccan blogs on tumblr and videos on youtube - the majority is filled with the same feminist bullshit special snowflakes spew, and that's without going into the transginger otherkin wiccans.
Those grown "teen wiccans" are still millennials after all.

>I'm not a Wiccan myself (Muslim), but I have some Wiccan friends.
Oh, I get why you're being so stupid - you're just lying about things.
>>
>>18284247
>Tears of a Poorfag Who Blames Others for Not Succeeding in Life: the Post
Everything you don't like is Hitler, amirite?
>>
Everyone lies. My lie is better than other people are because it's made of lie detector tape. Thanks
>>
>>18284206
>they're all getting pretty sick and tired of SJW's interrupting their sacred festivals with screams of "racism!" and "cultural appropriation!"
Wicca is still a neutered PC-fest though. A lot of Wiccans have gotten redpilled and moved onto other religions like Asatru though. Conservative Wiccans don't tend to stay Wiccan.
>>
>Be normal Puritan girl
>Some slut calls you a witch
>Get hung
>200 years later
>Some fat chick calls you a witch
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.