[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on meditation.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 13

File: image.jpg (76KB, 320x408px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 320x408px
Redpill me on meditation.
>>
Google, "zazen".
>>
Fuck off with your /pol/ "redpill me on this" threads
>>
>>18256241
Truth is formless and motionless. Nothing but meditation is formless and motionless. Nothing but meditation leads to truth.
>>
The answer is always more meditation
>>
If you choose to meditate, focus on the natural procession of the breath. The breath is intrinsically related to the span of this lifetime. Whatever your object of meditation ends up being, maintain deliberate platitudinal focus.

Realize the inseparability of all that is momentarily being known.
>>
>>18256508
me gusta

There is a famous story of Jetsun Milarepa, one of the most famous Buddhist meditators. He attatined many powers, demonstrated them, gave no fucks and disappeared. It is said anyone who speaks his name will not be reborn in a lower birth for seven lifetimes. This might not be that relevant now but I'm sure it helped a lot of people.

Anyway, when he was sending off his pupil Gampopa, his final lesson to him-- he showed him his ass.

It was brutalized because he had meditated a lot. That is the secret. You just have to go for it.
>>
>>18256765

cont'd... I went for it and now I'm cool. At least I feel cooler. When you're cool, you don't give any fucks. It could happen to you.
>>
>>18256794

cont'd

You just gotta go for it man idk
>>
>>18256251
>>18256508

These. Now fuck off, what info did you expect to get from a thread rather than actually meditating?
>>
>>18256241
>>18256251

Anything less than "Zazen" is not meditation.

Now sit down and shut up.
>>
>>18256811

Encouragement.
>>
File: shunryu.jpg (19KB, 210x280px) Image search: [Google]
shunryu.jpg
19KB, 210x280px
>>18256834
Meditation is not this new age mumbo jumbo. Meditation is hard, it's uncomfortable, is not to feel good or happy with the universe. The pains of postures exist, the discomfort is intense, the mind is not empty. Meditation is not for everyone, and meditation, it is definitely not for addicted to physical or emotional comfort. Meditation is empty. It is for nothing.

The best advice is always, "meditate more" and "sit down and shut up."
>>
>>18256241
People get frustrated with life, and need a mental break. By sitting down, closing your eyes, and not caring about anything that's been going on for 30 minutes out of your day, it calms the mind and body.

Best of all, you can do this without actually formally meditating. No dumb chants or crossed legs or religious/hippie implications.

You can do it by just sitting down, taking a deep breath, and stop thinking.
>>
>>18256859

Milarepa anon here, this is correct. It blows. But oh how it does...

intoxicated/with the madness/I'm in love with/my sadness

And then you light up, you know what I mean?
>>
File: yogi.jpg (26KB, 295x478px) Image search: [Google]
yogi.jpg
26KB, 295x478px
Im reading this book about meditation, mainly beacuse i heard Steve Jobs recommend it.
Not that im a particularly a big fan of jobs, i was just curious and wanted to know a little bit more about meditation.
I'm like 2 thirds into it and so far it as been only a list of miracles performed by various yogis, quite dumb and boring. There was only a chapter about meditation itself and it didnt say that much..
Have any of you guys red it? Does it pick up? Why is this so hyped?
>>
>>18256765
What's a lower birth?
>>
>>18256886

Like as an animal or something, having a shitty time. Ghost, goblin or whatever. That's the idea. People of the time believed they could be reborn as animals and spirits et cetera. They sort of lived their lives without giving a shit imo. That's why I'm saying now, we are different.
>>
>>18256872
>You can do it by just sitting down, taking a deep breath, and stop thinking.

You never stop to think. This is dumb. You just stop thinking if you're dead. Meditation is not for that.

And the attitude, genius, is not "religious / hippie implications", through physical posture you help mental posture. In addition to having less pain when meditates for reasonable periods.
>>
>>18256241
It is worthless.
>>
>>18256765

psychic saints of any flavor are pretty much badass in one way or another.
>>
>>18256241
I insert hotdogs into myself every Friday because "CHAOS!"

It aligns muh chakras n shit.
>>
>>18256899

If I may. The concept of meditation is a lot like RAM on a computer. If you keep clicking on things all of the RAM space will be used up and the computer will run more slowly.

However if you pace yourself, the computer will not get overwhelmed and the stream of information may continue unhinged.
>>
>>18256926
Chaosists are the adolescence of Magicians. The guy ends up mentally retarded, just talk shit, he thinks it's smart .... but you suffer from cringe, pray for the guy to stop embarrassing himself.
They only will realize that spent time with shit, when they are old and are looking at a photo with a stuffed sausage in the ass and saying: "Hey, this is valid magick". Nope.
>>
>>18256859

I think perhaps you should consider that the people that post here derive their peace from a range of experiences.

That attitude may very well work for you.
Meditation, I concede, requires a considerable amount of focus, though it should be considered as a primary advent of focus and as a relief from difficulty.

If you find meditation hard, uncomfortable or difficult, continue in your advancement and discover otherwise.
>>
>>18256949
The only problem is that when you actively try to stop thinking, you're thinking about "stop thinking" and about the thoughts previously thought.

The meditative state is the state of "mindfulness", when you are fully present, but relaxed enough not to be reactive, but rather active.

In this process, you don't purge thoughts, you just don't serve them tea.
>>
It should be noted for the interested that meditation, such as the various methods employed in for example Buddhism, may be a basis or mere cornerstone for any number of perspectives along a spectrum encompassing faith and the non.
>>
>>18256985

There is no problem here. The mindset becomes easier to fall into with deliberation.

Reinforce your transient memories to guide you toward the present and formation will take place.

Another way of looking at this for alternate perspectives, is that if there is a fire within you, and you decide it prudent for the fire to be smaller, then do not fan the fire.

Simply breath and watch.
>>
You'll get the same benefit from meditation as a twenty minute nap.

It's only smells.
>>
>>18257018

Then why dance? Why play?

Meditation is supposed to be fun. If you find it abhorrent then please, partake in something worthwhile.
>>
File: susuki.jpg (286KB, 2264x2827px) Image search: [Google]
susuki.jpg
286KB, 2264x2827px
>>18256982
>If you find meditation hard, uncomfortable or difficult, continue in your advancement and discover otherwise.

What you said is the pinnacle of New Age Hello Kitty. Meditation is not what you or I want it to be. Meditation is what it is. It is objective. It was built by generations to be what it is.

Particularly I prefer to follow the teaching of my Sōtō-shū Roshi, who meditates over 50 years, and gave me the direct teaching, master to disciple.

And If you find meditation easy, comfortable or nondifficult, you really have to learn to meditate.
>>
>>18257018
>>18257026

My post is made in relevance to yours. I aim to curb the contrarian aspect.
>>
>>18257026
Nothing is worthwhile, because worthwhile is nothing. Only a word.

Its all the small lies that makes you believe the big lies, like justice, control or fair.
>>
>>18257029

It is possible for us to not agree.
>>
>>18257029

Non pursuit is pleasurable, though not desirable, can we agree on that at least in the realm of words?
>>
>>18257011
>Reinforce your transient memories to guide you toward the present and formation will take place.
>Another way of looking at this for alternate perspectives, is that if there is a fire within you, and you decide it prudent for the fire to be smaller, then do not fan the fire.
>Simply breath and watch.

Mumbo jumbo. Observe your thoughts. Do not interfere. Keep meditation posture. Do not move. If not sleep, it is meditation. Don't do anything beyond that. This is basic meditation.

There is no reason to complicate.
>>
>>18257029
Did your teacher also teach how to be a condescending prick on a paranormal image board?
>>
>>18256262
The correct response.
>>
>>18257041
Mu. Gasshō.
>>
File: fudo.jpg (117KB, 960x638px) Image search: [Google]
fudo.jpg
117KB, 960x638px
>>18257058
>Did your teacher also teach how to be a condescending prick on a paranormal image board

No. Now, sit down and shut up.
>>
File: 17DX3Xo.gif (968KB, 500x230px) Image search: [Google]
17DX3Xo.gif
968KB, 500x230px
Been meditating 20 minutes a day for a while now. I do it immediately after waking up and peeing. It was really hard at first. There were alot of things that prevented me from getting into it: back pain, aches, numb feet, itchiness, etc, etc.

Finally I just sat down and felt through them out until they were gone. Plenty of false starts where I just HAD to scratch that itch, HAD to preposition my feet, and on and on and on. But I set a timer and refused to budge until 20 min had passed.

A few days later, things were different. Those sensations came and went quicker over the 20 min.

Then came the good stuff.

Little by little, random thoughts and feelings rose up to the mind. Sometimes, they were things I know I brought to mind ("hm, need to do laundry by noon. Better get that done...") Sometimes they were thoughts and feelings that just came up for no reason. I felt a general frustration of "Why can I not shut my mind off???"

The more I meditated, the more intense the thoughts and feelings came at me. I made certain to RIDE them out without FEEDING them. If I felt particularly pissed off by a coworker, I'd feel it and let it wash over me without holding on to it and consciously making a revenge list, for example.

And that's the key. Let whatever wants to rise, RISE. Then ride it out and let it fade into nothingness. If you catch yourself holding on to a specific feeling, find your own way to "shoo" it away. Some people focus on their breath, some people chant some mantra (TM'ers), I personally envision myself dusting off my left shoulder and returning to just BEING.

After a few weeks, less and less stuff will rise to the top. The 20 minutes will suddenly WHOOSH by and you'll be like where the fuck did the time go??? And afterwards, there's this feeling of bliss that stays with you for the rest of the day.

I never thought this would happen, but I go to sleep EXCITED to meditate. It's fucking amazing.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
there´s really nothing to redpill about it, meditation has been a practice for all cultures and religions.you have to meditate a lot to get the meaning of it.when i was studying holistic health we had a meditation group, i have noticed that most newbies can´t focus, move a lot, clear their throats and would open their eyes after 5 minutes and give up cause it´s too painful. some gave up and never meditated again but those who stayed didn´t forget to breathe anymore at least. After years of doing it, I can directly go to a deep state instead of gradually going there. I can´t say anything else about it without making a fool out of myself, it is such a simple thing yet it´s life changing.
>>
File: 1-3.gif (911KB, 345x250px) Image search: [Google]
1-3.gif
911KB, 345x250px
>>18257029
>>18257058

Oh, and don't mind the assholes who meditate and give advice feeling like their doing you a favor. That just makes you wanna give up doesn't it?

Ignore them and keep seeking advice until you run across someone who's teachings are infectious.
>>
>>18257089
So follow my thinking from reading your post.

>Let whatever wants to rise, RISE
>lless and less stuff will rise to the top
>where the fuck did the time go

So what is the end goal of this, really? Is it...

>there's this feeling of bliss

Because if the end goal is to feel bliss, then I have to wonder how that fits into

>ride it out

Why is bliss determined to be of a higher value than say, you feeling mad at your co-worker? Why seek one (bliss) but run away from the other (anger).
>>
>>18257100
I do not think I'm doing a favor. I'm just objective with words. Meditation is not utilitarian. It's not about comfort. It's not about blessing. Meditation is about meditation.

Anything outside of that is self-delusion. That's the reason for my wrathful action. I do not want people mistake and take a path meaningless.

There is nothing harder and drier than meditation. But that does not make it any less wonderful.
>>
File: wannabe_monk_is_funny.gif (910KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
wannabe_monk_is_funny.gif
910KB, 500x282px
>>18257121

I read your words, but they're like full of words

I think you need to meditate less, dingus
>>
>>18257177
I can't.
>>
>>18257121
Is it really just a case of sitting still clearing the mind and trying to focus on your breathing and nothing else for extended periods?

I'm going to give this a serious shot. I need to, I think this will help me massively.

I have a lot of free time at the moment as well so what better time to start.
>>
File: 64404435.jpg (90KB, 393x342px) Image search: [Google]
64404435.jpg
90KB, 393x342px
>>18257121
u just got schooled by a tard LOL
>>
File: center.jpg (9KB, 350x144px) Image search: [Google]
center.jpg
9KB, 350x144px
>>18257177
Plus, i'm fine with real meditation. Undistorted and with concrete results. One that anyone can get to.

Gassho and bows to your roleplay.
>>
File: smoke.jpg (378KB, 1024x625px) Image search: [Google]
smoke.jpg
378KB, 1024x625px
>>18256834
There's no encouragement needed. Either he meditates, or he doesn't.

>>18256982
>If you find meditation hard, uncomfortable or difficult, continue in your advancement and discover otherwise.
I greatly disagree with that.

>>18257018
>You'll get the same benefit from meditation as a twenty minute nap.
No.

>>18257026
>Meditation is supposed to be fun.
No, it's not. It's not supposed to be un-fun, but it's definitely not "supposed" by anyone to be fun.

>>18257029
>And If you find meditation easy, comfortable or nondifficult, you really have to learn to meditate.
This guy is on to it.

>>18257050
>Mumbo jumbo. Observe your thoughts. Do not interfere. Keep meditation posture. Do not move. If not sleep, it is meditation. Don't do anything beyond that. This is basic meditation.
>There is no reason to complicate.
Good advice.

Find a local Zen Center. Meet people that have been practicing a long time. Listen to what they have to say. Practice zazen as often as possible. If it is not zazen, there is a good chance that what you are doing is very far removed from actual meditation. Be accountable to yourself.

"After nine years in China Bodhidharma wished to go home and
gathered his disciples about him to test their apperception.
Dofuku said: 'In my opinion truth is beyond affirmation or negation, for this is the way it moves.’
Bodhidharma replied: ‘You have my skin.’
The nun Soji said: ‘In my view, it is like Ananda’s sight of the Buddha-land – seen once and for ever.’
Bodhidharma answered: ‘You have my flesh.’
Dofuku said: ‘The four elements of light, airiness, fluidity, and solidity are empty (i.e. inclusive) and the five skandas are
No-things. In my opinion,
No-thing (i.e. spirit) is reality.’
Bodhidharma commented: 'You have my bones'
Finally Eka bowed before the master - and remained silent.
Bodhidharma said: 'you have my marrow.’"
>>
>>18257199
>>>18256982
>>If you find meditation hard, uncomfortable or difficult, continue in your advancement and discover otherwise.
>I greatly disagree with that.

I completely mis-read your original comment that I replied to, Flower Girl. I thought you implied that if meditation is difficult for you, to discontinue and seek otherwise. My mistake.
>>
File: 1200.jpg (80KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1200.jpg
80KB, 1200x675px
>>18257118

>>So what is the end goal of this, really? Is it...

Goal? Hm, I don't think there's a goal really. I just had a lot of shit on my mind weighing me down and I tried mediation and it felt good with other benefits

>>there's this feeling of bliss
>>Because if the end goal is to feel bliss, then I have to wonder how that fits into
>ride it out

I never saw riding it out as running away. lol, I'm feeling the entire emotion all the way through. What I ain't doing is telling it to go away and ignoring it so that I can focus on the nothingness. The nothingness and the sense of being is ALWAYS there, ya know? My problem was getting past the chatter that made me think meditating was impossible.
>>
>>18257182
Read Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki.

Google, "zazen".

Observe your thoughts. Do not interfere. Breath. Keep meditation posture. Do not move. If not sleep, it is meditation. Don't do anything beyond that. This is basic meditation.

Sorry, but I have to go. Do not give up. Gasshō.
>>
>>18256859
The truth without love is cruelty. No one benefits from being cut down like that.
>>
THIS THREAD IS ASIAN AS FUCK
>>
>>18257212
There is no lack of love here. You were only sensitive. Try reading this advice carefully, it is true.

The West is addicted to comfort. This discomfort is beneficial. Only discomfort, nothing more. The rest was built in your mind.
>>
>>18257254

It has been heavily considered. Choices have and will continue to be navigated.
>>
>>18257254

Being in discomfort is uncomfortable
>>
Read the book afterzen by van de watering for a good view of the reality of meditation and its ultimate failure as a means of coming to terms with human suffering and limitations.
>>
>>18257199 here,

>>18257209
This is all good advice. Dunno if I've replied to the same person multiple times. If so, good on you.
>>
>>18256241
it's just a good way to learn patience. there's literally nothing else to gain from sitting in one spot and thinking all day.
>>
>>18256241

I have practiced Zen meditation for 7 years, here's my 2c. I think it's going to be hard for you to find honest advice as a newbie, since most people here seem more adamant to advocate a certain method, parrot various fluffy quotes or discuss unrelated matters.

I'd suggest you to look into what kind of centers are active in your vicinity, and get real people to walk you through the practice. Regardless of which method you use, posture tends to be important, and it helps having a normal person to talk meditation with rather than a self-professed ascended master on 4chan.

With that said, there isn't much special about meditation. It's not like other areas of life where you strive towards goals and constantly judge things. It's a space where you take a break from doing all that, and return to very simple matters; sitting, breathing, noticing. You don't do it -for- some goal, you just do it.

Eventually this might open up a world of liberation from past worries. You might weep deeply or laugh from some deep insights about yourself. Even so, it's absolutely essential that you don't let these experiences go to your head, otherwise you're going to miss the point and start adding more bullshit into your life, like spiritual pride, getting stuck in the clouds, looking down on ordinary life. These kinds of experiences always pass and we have to return to ordinary life, and that's where meditation matters. Even after years of practice you keep returning to that simple fundament, just sitting, breathing, noticing. That will assimilate into your ordinary life and you'll see that the true spiritual practice is being present in the day to day boring stuff. It doesn't have to be anything else. You don't have to be anyone else.

It can be pretty difficult from time to time but it's very rewarding - lots of us simply can't live without it.
>>
>>18257331

Such deep desu.

Please enter me from behind.
>>
>>18257331
Yeah but are there any qts at these mediation centers?
>>
>>18257331
>advocate a certain method
>posture tends to be important
>it helps having a normal person to talk meditation with
>return to very simple matters; sitting, breathing, noticing
>it's absolutely essential that you don't let these experiences go to your head

>parrot various fluffy quotes
>You don't do it -for- some goal, you just do it.
>Eventually this might open up a world of liberation from past worries.
>You might weep deeply or laugh from some deep insights about yourself.
>you'll see that the true spiritual practice is being present in the day to day boring stuff

>You don't do it -for- some goal
>otherwise you're going to miss the point
>it's very rewarding
Sigh.
>>
>>18256449
replace both are instances of the word truth with any other word and it still rings true
>>
>>18256765
Milarepa didn't gain his supposed powers from soley meditating though. He also studied black magic.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.