[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your thoughts on gnosticism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: jpg.jpg (151KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
jpg.jpg
151KB, 500x667px
What are your thoughts on gnosticism?
>>
>>18239532
Cool
>>
>>18239532
Hilarious
>>
>>18239532
Kind of infuriates me, that this term isnt the opposite of agnosticism
>>
>>18239532
It's one of the first steps on the process of understanding man's relationship with God and the celestial bodies, but there is still progress to be made. Better to understand its philosophy alone than make it your religion.
>>
>>18239532
pretty incoherent set of early christian beliefs based on texts the early church fathers did not accept due to their dubious provenance.
>>
>>18241049
It was, originally. Agnosticism used to be a hard stance on the limits of human knowledge. It wasn't wishy-washy "Well gee, I don't know." It was "There are things that are IMPOSSIBLE to know, no matter how well we study. Humans CAN NOT know the full truth."

Gnosticism was the opposing view - that humans CAN learn the full truth. Rather heretical view, if you think about it. That humans can learn all the secrets of God.
>>
>>18239532
An ancient current of mysticism that cropped up in almost every major religion in some way, at some point. Dualistic (though sometimes with a Tao-like monad behind the duality), and often takes a dim view of the material world.

Some religions like Zoroastrianism and Mandaeism are entirely Gnostic in nature. Gnostic Christians represent my personal favourite interpretation of the two Testaments of the Christian Bible - that the angry, jealous craftsman God (demiurge) of the OT was the devil of the NT, and the loving, forgiving, "true" God from the NT, source of all energy, was was in fact the devil from the OT, either incarnate in or identical to the rebellious angel casted out by the tyrant.

One provocative piece of evidence: in the Latin Vulgate Bible, the word Lucifer, light-bearer, appears twice - once in each testament. In the Old, to refer to the angel who formerly held the heavenly office of "Satan" or accuser, perhaps something similar to a DA. In the New Testament, "Lucifer" referred to none other than Jesus Christ.
>>
>>18241752
Gnosticism as a term outdates agnosticism, and was so named because unlike mainstream sects who had a focus on the intermediary (the clergy and the very church itself), Gnostics practiced various disciplines designed to offer them direct insight into the nature of the Divine. They called this Gnosis, because it was knowledge gained first-hand.
>>
>>18239532
i think they should stop inventing terms for made up bullshit.
>>
>>18239532
It is luciferianism. It is trash.
>>
>>18239532
Why doesn't Sophia help us/
>>
>>18241763
Intredasting. I like you. Will you be my friend?
>>
>>18239532
Its literally something uniquely different for every person. Disagree and what you practice is not gnosticism.
>>
>>18242122
>luciferianism

"It" pre-dates that made up word.

You follow a religion that was shaped by mans political aspirations rather than anything divine.

Supreme arrogance and illusion are the fruits of your faith.
>>
>>18239532
gay
>>
I really enjoy the art/aesthetic the most, and as a Baptist I treat Gnostic tradition more as lore that is incredibly tricky to support than actual canon. I've been writing a fantasy using Gnostic/Kabbalistic concepts and imagery, think of it like Madoka Magica meets the Illuminati.
>>
>>18239532
Hmmmm... Interesting topic. I for one find gnostics retarded and need to get a life.
>>
>>18243803
>he said, smugly
Gnosticism is trash.
>>
Can someone tell me what Gnosticism actually is?
>>
>>18244533
I am not a practitioner of Gnostic tradition.

But as a Christian, what right do you have to offer such critique?

Being a fair and just person is something you should strive for.
>>
Can someone explain to me, who is Sophia ?
>>
>>18244589
>But as a Christian
>projecting

You have no idea what I believe, or even what it's called.
>>
>>18244569
>Can someone tell me what Gnosticism actually is?

Submitting to God, and the struggle people go through on their road to enlightenment.
>>
>>18244605
>You have no idea what I believe, or even what it's called.

Are you me? Because.
You probably have no idea what I believe, or what to call it.

So out with, what are you and what do you believe?
>>
what a dank thread
>>
>>18244620
>Submitting to God, and the struggle people go through on their road to enlightenment.

An echo of mankind's original faith and the goals thereof.

You have my deep respect. I have to admit the source of that echo is a confusing road. It is therefore difficult to blame you for choosing the clearer path.
>>
>>18244604
Sophia is Wisdom. The bridge to the knowledge required in escaping this prison.

As crazy as it sounds, I've actually heard her beckoning to me. I was young and the experience took place during a very chaotic time in my life. I knew nothing about Gnosticism at this point given my strictly Catholic upbringing, nor did I care.
>>
>>18241752

No, Gnosticism is a specific collection of Ancient religions just before Christianity.
>>
>>18239532
>What are your thoughts on gnosticism?
The purest form of luciferianism.
>>
>>18244698
hold up, are you talking about like animism when you mean the original faith of mankind? or something more esoteric.
>>
>>18239532

I'm reading The Gnostic Gospels by Elaine Pagels at the moment. It's really quite interesting if you're into more of the esoteric side of Christianity.
>>
>>18246054
This is an outdated scholarly opinion. There are no known pre-Christian records of Gnosticism.
>>
>>18239532
We've had a designated religion/philosophy/history board for 11 months now.
>>>/his/
>>
I'm the demiurge, hijacking this thread,AMA
>>
>>18248387
Somehow I do not see this discussion fitting among the other threads on /his/.

<shrug>
>>
>>18249696
what do you want?
>>
I'm writing my M.A. on gnosticism.

Will field questions.
>>
>>18243665

Because she ignorantly created the demiurge without the companionship of her male aeon counterpart. Plus she is remote from us and in a higher spiritual realm.

A gnostic says the invisible spirit sent Jesus to help us.
>>
>>18251090
Yes, Jesus really helped the Gnostic's, didn't he?
>>
>>18251090
Dude Jesus came to save us from the demiurge.

That's why he quoted him all the time and said "make sure you follow his commandments"
>>
>>18239532
gnon of your business.
>>
>>18251100

A gnostic would say that Jesus was only talking to gnostics as they are the only one with a 'divine spark'

Anyone born of Cain and Abel are from a sexual union between the demiurge and Eve.

Anyone born of Seth is a 'gnostic' as they are relfections of archetypal humans who live with the aeon Eleleth above the material world.
>>
>>18251112
What would those who base their entire belief system around "Jesus" say about Gnostic's?

What did those who base their entire belief system around "Jesus" do to Gnosticism wherever they encountered it?
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.