[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Appalachian Folk Magic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: appmountains.jpg (8KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
appmountains.jpg
8KB, 300x168px
Does anyone have any good sources for Appalachian folk magic/granny magic? I seem to not be able to find any
>>
>>18236965

Yes.

Grab a dulcimer, a mason jar, a banjo string stained with the blood of a forsaken man, a lump of coal extracted by a coal miner who was crushed in a mine collapse, the tooth of a union boss, two spoons made of pure silver, a hick'ry switch and a spent 12-gauge round that killed a trespasser.

Put 'em all in a polk and head up yonder with your closest brother/sister on the night of a full moon. Follow the crik to an abandoned still that's been partially burned by a lawman. Make sure the worm is still there.

At the dawn of midnight, collect the crik water in the mason jar and place it in the center of the abandoned still. Crush the coal into a fine powder and funnel it into the crik water using the worm. Wait until the moon reaches its apex and add the banjo string. Burn the hick'ry switch in the center and break it in two. Place the burning ends into the crik water and stir five times. Then add the union boss' tooth and the 12-gauge shell. Make sure they enter the crik water AT THE EXACT SAME TIME. If the timing is off then it will not work.

Stir the entire mixture twenty five times. Now, light the other ends of the hick'ry switches that stick out of the top of the mason jars. Give your brother/sister the two silver spoons and pick up the dulcimer. Face East toward the valley and play the holy incantation of Copperhead Road on the dulcimer while the person on the spoons plays and calls out Steve Earle's name to the whippoorwills. When you hear the bobcat's snarl, you will know that the ritual has been completed. You have now made Blackwoods Backwood Moonshine. Consume the entire elixir with your brother/sister and remain in the woods overnight. At the break of dawn you will have successfully summoned an abomination of nature in your/your sister's belly. Please be careful with this spell. It is an 18 year curse.
>>
>>18236965
There never really was a time or place for that tradition to codify into a practice. It's a collection of various local superstitions that differ by area. There really isn't any sort of centralized belief system or knowledge base for you to study.

I can provide you any number of "folksy" books on herbs or native american lore, but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for anon.
>>
>>18237287
Any resources would be much appreciated. I am sure I can carve my own path using the works of others.
>>
>>18237287
>>18237535
This please
>>
>>18237535
>>18237564
https://mega.nz/#F!Z1syUQ6Y!fuyMXr-9G2TK6f-qGwUIUA
best I can be bothered to do on a saturday night
>>
>>18237271
Lost at copperhead road lol
>>
>>18236965
Appalachianfag checking in.

Fucking no, internet faggot. If you aren't from here you don't get to fuck around with what granny ladies used to do, foreigner.
>>
Another apppalacianfag here, go for it op.
>>
>>18238021
Not OP, but what if I'm from Louisville? Ain't shit for magic down here. Unless you count polluted rivers and people not being able to get home because of art shows and Derbies.
>>
>>18236965
It's actually called appalachian butt magic, it's some ornery stuff friend.
>>
>>18238155
Can confirm, you don't want any of that mountain anal.
>>
only magic up here in the apps is the magic of the pill trade

are you a poor inbred hick? get a pill connect and Become A Rich Man
>>
>>18237535
You might find something in >>18218974.
I know, hoodoo thread. Scroll down a bit.
>>
Castadena's teachings of San Juan is a snorefest
>>
>>18236965

Try Lucky Mojo.
>>
Listen to the mountains sing.
>>
>>18237271
I learned this bit of magic slightly differently...the tooth of a union boss must have be punched out by your daddy's own hand, and the mason jar must've previously held your granny's button collection. Other than that, I've got no quarrel with it. Also the curse engendered can last over 20 years if you've got a basement or comfortable garage.
>>
>>18238146

Okay I was drunk last night, let me try again without being so rude.

That folk magic is actually folk magic handed down by granny ladies since the Scotch-Irish were getting kicked out of one country or another in Europe. It's not just some thing that you get to use just because you live in or near the mountain range. It's got to be part of your blood, and you have to live an actual specific lifestyle to be a granny lady.

Also Louisville is a shit hole, I've driven through there many times on my way up north to Indiana.
>>
File: foxfire-books.jpg (247KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
foxfire-books.jpg
247KB, 1500x1125px
>>18236965
Have you tried the Foxfire Books? They're worth reading anyway. PDFs are out there.
>>
>>18236965

I recommend = 'Ozark Magic and Folklore" - doesn't have anything instructive, but is chock full of Ozark superstitions and stores.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/967817.Ozark_Magic_and_Folklore
>>
>>18239482
Yeah.
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=Foxfire+wigginton&open=0&res=25&view=simple&phrase=1&column=def
>>
>>18239108

I reckon them' some important details too. Appreciate ya.
>>
bump plz
>>
OP here, I appreciate the info from everyone. Feel free to dump more if ya got any.
>>
>>18240953
https://mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ
^^^Has some pretty detailed stuff, but I don't know about rootwork

Some might be related, though
>>
>>18236965
A better term is Native American mysticism.

Appalachia was densely populated by Natives; most if not all types of magic talked about in the area relates back to them.

My grandmother was Cherokee and had a lot of superstition that I have that people around me don't understand.

The first settlers were from Europe and extremely religious (that was their entire reason for coming here) so they didn't bring a strong faith in that type of worship and what they did bring they considered folklore/fantasy stories.
>>
>>18241007
>The first settlers were extremely religious so they didn't bring a strong faith
Makes sense
>>
Appalachian here. Live in Appalachia, heritage on both sides is Appalachian. Great grandfather was an Appalachian psychic.

There's not really "Appalachian magic." Many Appalachian people brought over superstitions from the old country that still carry over, but the only real "magic" is carried over from natives. What little there is here is mainly Christian-leaning-Hermetic, due to strong Christian influence, with some basic Shamanism mixed in, but nothing that took its own identity. You're better off to study those fields separately to get a feel for it. Only real interesting tidbit I can give you is psychics were called "Doctor" here for the longest time and regarded as both a prophet of god by some and as an agent of Satan by just as many. What magic there is was always linked back to Jesus however possible, at least officially, to try and avoid outrage.
>>
>>18237271
Oh god that was great

HA-YUCK
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 190x264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 190x264px
>>18236965

Reckon it's back the way y'all come from...
>>
File: n.jpg (7KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
n.jpg
7KB, 125x125px
>>18236965
>Appalachian Folk Magic
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.