[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is Evil? How would you define it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 11

File: eew.jpg (50KB, 400x201px) Image search: [Google]
eew.jpg
50KB, 400x201px
What is Evil? How would you define it?
>>
Personally, I would define it as anything unnaturally tempting.
>>
knowingly and consciously attributing to the unhappiness of a person or a group of persons to a considerable extent.
>>
Something against the common good.
>>
>>18236493
i was like what the fuck then i was like whoa...
>>
File: Luca_fallen_angels.jpg (4MB, 2825x4259px) Image search: [Google]
Luca_fallen_angels.jpg
4MB, 2825x4259px
>>18236445

Every culture and religion has different norms that define morality, but the one constant is the encouragement of empathy and cooperation for social cohesion. I'd define evil as the concept of operating with complete selfishness, to the exclusion of all others.
>>
>>18236445
Evil is something that makes more people unhapy that it makes hapy
>>
>>18236445
Something that goes against all your morals and what you define as good and just.

There is no definition of evil.
Its subjective.
>>
>>18236547
So killing a baby isn't evil? You're one of those faggots that say shit like "morality isn't real" huh?
>>
>>18236553
Not that anon, but that's not what he is saying. He may think killing a baby is evil, and so do you, and so do I and so even perhaps 100% of the people you ask. That doesn't make it independent from subjectivity.

Something that is subjective is not that it is "not real", just that it is something that does not exist by itself for it is a relationship we develop about things. There is no evil if there is no one to call it evil. It varies, from person to person, culture to culture, it may also be equal at some points, but it's still part of a relationship people make. Just like when there is a consensus about somehting doesn't mean it is a natural god-sent truth, just that there is a consensus at this moment.
>>
>>18236553
What about parents that have abortions because they can't take care of a baby with down syndrome? Are they evil?

What if a psychopath gets the biggest endorphine and adrenaline rush in his life from killing babies, a feeling of true bliss that they cant get anywhere else.. they will not think that they are evil.

What if a baby grows up to be a serial killer later, if a time traveller already knew this, is it evil to kill a baby?

Animals kill their and other babies often
Yet, we don't place these moral constraints on them. Why?

Some might argue it is better for all life on earth and beyond for all human kind to become extinct, because of our eternal drive to destroy. This would mean killing all babies. Is this evil?

What about all the babies in hiroshima and nagasaki? Was it evil to kill all of them? Was it for a greater good? This justifies killing babies? So killing babies is all right, not evil, just as long as it serves....

Morality is a social construct. Everyone will deny this in their infinite virtue. We know.

But yet, for social cohesion this is very important. So if it makes anyone feel better, the harder you try to deny evil does not exist, the better it is for our social cohesion.
>>
>>18236594
Sharp edges there m8
>>
>>18236594
>What about parents that have abortions because they can't take care of a baby with down syndrome? Are they evil?
Maybe they should have recognized the responsibility of sex instead of overvaluing the pleasure.
>>
File: jack-shephard-b.jpg (21KB, 372x500px) Image search: [Google]
jack-shephard-b.jpg
21KB, 372x500px
>>18236594

Not the guy you are addressing, but the guy who defined evil as basically being a selfish prick.

For some reason I'm able to recognize morality as a social construct, understand that its application only stretches as far as your identified social group/culture/nation, and I still think it's virtuous and kind of amazing.

We humans are intelligent, resourceful, and introspective. But we're soft and not well equipped physically as far as predators go. It's brilliant to me that in our evolution, we recognized it's better and safer to live together.
And morality, ethics, law, and religion all sprung forth to encourage it.

In short: live together, die alone.
>>
>>18236445
>What is Evil? How would you define it?
An unauthorized dopamine and/or norepinephrine reuptake inhibition that occurs in zones three through six.
>>
>>18236740
PFF. Don't expect people to learn that. Ever. Sex is just for kicks, oops I shit out another human being teehee.
>>
>>18236445

You could write a 100,000 word book on this question, easy. I'll try a likely non-comprehensive answer that someone in this thread will undoubtedly point out is insufficient.

Evil is the desire or execution of an act by a thinking human that knowingly and intentionally brings harm or suffering onto another human or cherished creature without justifiable purpose, either directly or indirectly.
>>
>>18236740
Now this is fucking EDGY
>>
>>18236445
OP w the wild at heart screenshit
>>
nigga look at the word nigga like how the fuck is cyber bullying real hahaha nigga just walk away from the computer hahahaha nigga like just close your eyes hahahaha
>>
File: hi4g8bfu2ah6v4m.jpg (177KB, 1000x572px)
hi4g8bfu2ah6v4m.jpg
177KB, 1000x572px
>>18236445

WMD, biological, chemical, nerve, nuclear.

Hiroshima was about 13kT, biggest now is about 80Mt, about 5000 times bigger.

pic related, hiroshima photo manipulation.

Please note: This is NOT an Anti-US post it is an Anti-Nuke post.
>>
Shooting someone in the back of the head is not evil.

Shooting someone in the front of the head is.
>>
>>18236445
>Anonymous 10/15/16(Sat)19:12:35 No.18236445▶>>18236510 >>18236517 >>18236547 >>18236763 >>18236783 >>18236818 >>18237185
hillary clinton
>>
>>18237196
george milton detected
>>
>>18236445
Evil is spoiled good.
>>
>>18236445
The definition of evil is what you see it as
>>
File: hc7c3jfu2ah8f6s.jpg (92KB, 1600x669px) Image search: [Google]
hc7c3jfu2ah8f6s.jpg
92KB, 1600x669px
>>18237207
/pol/ not welcome here cuntwipe
>>
>>18236594
ok.. wtf is your obsession with babies?
>>
Evil is ignorance of the Law of karma and nothing more, to me.
>>
i feel like evil is ignorance
but then again, morality is subjective so you cant really define evil imo
>>
>>18236740
Not any of the previous anons but you're attacking the wrong argument at this point.
>Maybe they should have recognized the responsibility of sex instead of overvaluing the pleasure.
This has nothing to do with whether the couple in question believes their action to be evil or not. I feel like the previous anon's point was that they may not feel like their decision is evil at all even though it is 'killing a baby'. This would prove the point that it is still subjective.
>>
evil is something which has the greatest amount of negative outcomes
>>
>>18236445
Evil is a complete and total lack of empathy.
whether it is for human life
animal life or their respective well being.
same with nature and beauty.
>>
>>18236445

one side of morality
>>
>>18236445

(((ATM fees)))
>>
File: image.jpg (46KB, 273x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 273x200px
>>
>>18236445
The absence of good. Study philosophy.
>>
Free will doesnt exist so neither does moral evil. Evil is an unconscious force that cant be reasoned with or even be blamed for its heinous act like a hurricane or tsunami or a deranged psychopath. There's no argument to be made against this evil, it just exists and you have no recourse against it.
>>
beans are evil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpYOyezyAY
>>
>>18236445
there is no evil, only morality. we can view the same interaction and i could believe it was good, and you can believe it was evil but all it was was action and reaction.
to define something it must have physical properties and evil just does not. it is a fabricated construct of classification and has no substance and therefore is undefinable
>>
I think most would agree this:

Evil is the intentional, willful act of hurting another person in any way -- physically or emotionally.

But my question to you: how can it be evil if the person committing the act may not even think it is evil? Why are we the judges by which we set the golden line between good and evil. Where is that line, anyway? Is there even one?

What of psychopaths, in other words? They do not feel remorse nor do they think their actions are bad. Some take enjoyment out of hurting others, but most just do it without thinking. So, why would they be evil? Sure, you could say "it's because us non-psychopaths decided it was." Which then makes evil a social construct, whether we like that or not.
>>
>>18236445
It's an attempt to experience love. We were all once into oneness, now that we're individual we want to experience oneness again by interacting with people. Love is an exchange of energy, unevolved souls are afraid of giving so they only want to take energy. You can actually take one's energy by making him having negative emotions toward you.
>>
>>18236506
Like corn syrup.
>>
Evil is blame of suffering.
If you stop blaming for suffering you'll see evil is a role you choose to cast.
Or at least that's my thoughts.
>>
Wanton, irreparable damage or destruction and the desire to commit such acts.
>>
>>18236445
>Fuck you, Elmo Blatch
>>
Giving someone a wet willy with icewater.
>>
>ITT millennial morality on parade.
>>
>>18236445
opposite of good
>>
Every villain is lemons
>>
File: ebolachan.jpg (39KB, 480x548px) Image search: [Google]
ebolachan.jpg
39KB, 480x548px
>>18236445
I would classify evil as anything which intentionally harms a conscious being. The intent aspect of it is most important. Accidental harm or unconscious action/events cannot be evil.
>>
>>18236740
They're not overvaluing the pleasure. Sex has tons of benefits despite the risk of pregnancy. Pair bonding, increased immunity, de-stressing, for examples. It's retarded to think that sex is only procreative.
>>
>>18236445
Everyone has their own definition of evil. Are you asking for my definition?

To me, evil is anybody who's willing to inflict actual harm on me in order to benefit themselves.
>>
>>18236553
Does killing a baby go against your morals and what you define as good and just?

If so, then it's evil. If not, then it's not evil.
>>
Utter will against gain
>>
>>18236740
Ignore all the anons saying it's about love, or even pleasure. Desire for sex is instinctual. Remember your dick getting hard suddenly when you were becoming a teenager? Remember your first 21st dream? Its literally biological. You can't ask people to turn off one instinct any more than another, like thirst. With that being said, remember that condoms break, vasectomies don't always take, and even the pill is not 100% effective.
So you're saying firstly that people should just "turn off" biological drives, which can't be done intentionally, only happens when there is Some kind of health problem. And also that even if people were totally responsible and took precautions to prevent an unwanted pregnancy, they're "evil" for not wanting a responsibility they never tried to have? Thats fucking stupid.
>>
>>18244543
Wet dream*
On my phone
>>
>>18243797
her nipple is way too big for her tit
>>
>>18242498
unfortunately not many on this board will notice you. seems like you're aware of the 2 paths at least. There will always be a duality with service towards self and service towards others. They are 2 sides of the same path which as you stated is in one-ness with all
>>
File: hitlerreincarnate.jpg (78KB, 858x536px) Image search: [Google]
hitlerreincarnate.jpg
78KB, 858x536px
this
>>
>>18244543
Theoretically, in a fantasy world where i can't die what would happen if I cut out all my sex organs and glands?

Would I still have a sex drive?
>>
>>18237526
You're so delusional, it's not /pol/, it's a concern that every person should have. She is truly one of the most corrupt, remorseless, and sociopathic people to ever find their way into a powerful position.
>>
>>18236445
Not gud
>>
>>18236445

http://youtu.be/sH5kNcAxtKs
>>
>>18244791
lmaoooooo upvoted!!!!!!!

>supports Israel
>literally Hitler
wew
>>
>>18236445
Absent of compassion, remorse, and utterly self-serving.
>>
Intentional infliction of unnecessary suffering to a living creature. Of course, these leaves open the definition to change as there are always discussions to be had as to what one would consider to be necessary.
>>
lack of empathy, two wrongs make a right, war mongering with no intention of being in danger yourself, people who believe that sex is just for procreation
>>
>>18236493

>/thread
>>
>>18237207
Autism
>>
>>18236445
Evil is the total absence of empathy.
It is therefore very close to psychopathology, although psychopathology is not a choice, while evil is a choice.
Such a total lack of empathy makes one operate in total disregard of the Golden Rule ("Do unto others as you would have them do unto you")
and therefore, cause suffering with no care for the fact that one would not enjoy the same suffering.
Such absence of empathy for other living beings is only possible when one has strayed very far from the light, due to very negative experiences... but there has to be the element of choice:
without it, one is not evil but simply crazy; evil is not crazy, evil chooses to be evil.
>>
>>18236547
Hurting someone while knowing that it hurts and that you would not like someone to do that to you is objectively evil.

If you know and still do it and at the same time you would not like someone to do that to you, you are evil. No doubt.
>>
>>18245249
That's what they said about Obama. That's what they said about Bill. That's what they said about Kennedy.
>>
>>18237185
Total war is a means to an end. Often times we save more lives in the long run than we lose to these "evil" weapons.
>>
>>18246573
I've come to look at psychopathy as the psychological label that's been hung on evil. I understand that there are certain factors, both hereditary and environmental that can create psychopaths, but understanding all that we do about the brain, isn't it possible to turn oneself into a psychopath by actively choosing evil?

In short, if you've chosen to be an evil person, doesn't your brain eventually come to reflect those conscious choices?
>>
>>18236493
How do you decide if something tempting is unnaturally so?
>>
>>18246980
Something whose appearance does not match their intention.

A delicious looking hamburger that wants will give you heart disease, a woman who is ugly on the inside wearing tons of makeup that wants marry men just to steal their cash, a con man wearing an expensive and flashy suit so that he looks honest, etc..shit is everywhere if you really look.

now look at the flip side at a strawberry for instance, it looks delicious and it is good for you, that's a match.
>>
>>18236445
Evil is what takes you farther way from God, good is what moves you closer to him.
>>
people who create facebook memes
>>
Doing Evil for the sake of being evil.
>>
>>18242130
Truth
>>
Is evil something you are or something you do?
>>
File: 111191918111.jpg (34KB, 408x286px) Image search: [Google]
111191918111.jpg
34KB, 408x286px
>>18236498
>person
>skinning a dog alive isn't evil?
>>
>>18247230
dogs are persons -__-
>>
Causing severe suffering and death for no reason justifiable to the common good. Evil is sometimes necessary to avoid a result that would lead to even more evil. This logic is heavily used and abused to justify evil actions, but that is what I believe to be absolute evil.
>>
The absence of good. Everything destructive naturally leads towards this absence, no matter how abstract an absence it may be.
>>
>>18247230
how can dogs suffer if they aren't real?
>>
>>18236547
Nailed it.
>>
>>18236568
Double nailed it.
>>
>>18244790
Two is such a restrictive number. Three is better. Dualities lead to dumbshits.
>>
>>18247377
It doesn't, though. You just choose to believe what you've been fed because you take comfort in the fact that by doing that you can appear intelligent and refined without actually having to do any research.
>>
File: vxfnJn9.gif (2MB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
vxfnJn9.gif
2MB, 400x400px
>>18245249
>truly one of the most corrupt, remorseless, and sociopathic people to ever find their way into a powerful position

That totally in no way describes the other guy at all.
>>
Evil is related to the Good.
What is the Good? The Good is The Truth, The Evil is the alteration of Truth.
Sometimes it's hard to distinguish The Good from The Evil, to the point that many persons thinks that Good and Evil are just specular, two faces of the same medal, but it isn't so.
The Good is The Truth, and The Truth can be unpleasant sometimes, this is why many people mistake it for The Evil, but The Good is always true, so it's always Righteous; on the other hand, The Evil always born from the alteration of Truth, sometimes it can appears pleasant, and this is why many people mistake it for The Good, but The Evil, even if appears pleasant, is always a Lie.
At this point one must choose which one wants to follow, and this is the dilemma of the Free Will.
>>
File: 1465933503511.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1465933503511.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
>>18247382
One actually killed people.
The other said mean things.

:(((((( Hillshills get out
>>
>>18247382
>corrupt
Because he's a businessman, amirite?
>remorseless
Because we don't live in an oversensitive society of disingenuous apologists, amirite?
>sociopathic
Because you needed more things to say and who cares if you're using it as a synonym to sociopathic, amirite?
>>
>>18247306

Ah that was so deep it made me shed manly tears.
>>
>>18236445
Someone of sound mental health willing to commit extreme wrongs against people and society while being fully concious of the fact .........maybe evil is more of a fantasy morals change over time wrong and right are determined by what our current society is comfortable with somtimes backed by though most times morals are influenced by how people feel about somthing
>>
>>18247237
Dogs are most certainly not poisonous.
>>
>>18247224
Something you do. Thoughts can't be evil because they cause no harm. Harm comes from harmful actions.
>>
>>18247005
/thread
>>
Evil is the opposite of good. Without evil there is no good, just like without dark there is no light. In some absolute sense, if good is the highest standard of morality, then evil is the lowest standard. In a more relative sense, if good is the self, then evil is the other.

But there is always the contrast - you can't have one without the other, and you can never try and “remove” evil by continuously moving the goalposts. It will always be there, both giving rise to good and becoming good, as good gives rise to evil and becomes evil.

If you truly want to understand, you must also understand good; and each cannot be understood independently.
>>
its relative good is what you like evil is what you dont
>>
doing stuff that harm people
>>
>>18247382
Hillary is way more like Hitler than Trump is.
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.