[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The technological diversion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

File: operation-avalanche-3.jpg (339KB, 670x377px) Image search: [Google]
operation-avalanche-3.jpg
339KB, 670x377px
What's the point of technological advancement if light speed travel is required to get to other habitable worlds?

Humans can't travel at the speed of light and even if we could it would still take years in a cryo sleep tube to preserve our bodies until we got there.

Mars as you may well know is a dead planet and the only way you can live there is in a bubble or underground, We are probably a pretty long way away from being able to terraform it so i think it's more or less futile.

Now with all that i just stated above in mind, One can start to see technological advancement for what it actually is; A distraction. Something to keep us busy so we don't contemplate the futility of our situation.
>>
>>18211464
>What's the point of technological advancement if light speed travel is required to get to other habitable worlds?
Comfortable more stable society
>Humans can't travel at the speed of light and even if we could it would still take years in a cryo sleep tube to preserve our bodies until we got there.
Yes, but that's the present generation's problem, not the future's. Very selfish way of thinking. Plus raw propulsion is only one conceived method of space travel.
>Mars as you may well know is a dead planet and the only way you can live there is in a bubble or underground, We are probably a pretty long way away from being able to terraform it so i think it's more or less futile.
I actually agree that terraforming Mars for inhabiting is kind of brain dead. Though we could still terraform it to serve as a farm planet and use the resources collected and shipped by an automated system there.
>One can start to see technological advancement for what it actually is; A distraction.
Not really no, that's how you see it. Like I pointed above most likely as a result of your selfish perception that any advancement must directly benefit you.
If our ancestors had behaved and decided similarly to you they'd have abandoned the pursuit of global communication and you wouldn't have the opportunity to even post on /x/ and browse the internet for whatever you haven't cleared from your history.
>>
>>18211503
Which is the way it should have ended. You're the selfish one here buddy, I'm not living / suffering through this life just so your kids can live to see a dual sun sunrise. Brb gonna do another ritual to hinder stupid people from advancing beyond what they should :)
>>
File: GG10.jpg (96KB, 673x380px) Image search: [Google]
GG10.jpg
96KB, 673x380px
>>18211503
Only way i see us getting there is if we can figure out how to wormhole within the next 100 years but even at that time frame i don't think capitalism has another 100 years. And the current economic system is already incapable of acomidating the current population.

At some point population levels would have to be culled to prevent the entire world from turning into Brazil.

I just don't see it happening realistically.
>>
>>18211464
>even if we could it would still take years in a cryo sleep tube
this is a really common misconception about travel at close to light speed. You see there's an effect called time dilation when you travel really fast. So to the passengers in a spacecraft travelling at 99% the speed of light, it would only take 6 months to cross the galaxy - of course from the point of an observer on earth they would take 100's of thousands of years. But the need for cryostasis is wrong.
>>
>>18211464
we can comfortably house tens of billions of humans comfortably on earth if we get our shit together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqKQ94DtS54
watch this and then watch every other video in the series but for real don't fear technology you're only fucking with your great grandkids.
>>
>>18211774
Depends on the distance. It could take years even for the passengers depending on how many light years away the planet is.

Either way by the time you get there everyone back on your planet of origin is most likely long dead/exhausted their resources.

>>18211776
Literally no one is going to want to live like that.
>>
>>18211704
Wow you are an incredibly shallow and ignorant person
go live out in the woods with a stick
if you think thats as far we shouldhave advanced
>>
File: AC75-1086.gif (261KB, 1040x766px) Image search: [Google]
AC75-1086.gif
261KB, 1040x766px
>>18211464
You're assuming we need planets.
>>
>>18212335
This this this this this.

It's the only way to have our comfortable existence without raping nature.
>>
Because we'll eventually find a way to travel faster than light, or use wormholes or teleportation, or something...

But in saying that, i think we've been injected with ideas that facilitate technological advancement by an interdimensional race in order for them to covertly guide us into enslaving ourselves.
>>
>>18212335

Yeah
>>
>Because we'll eventually find a way to travel faster than light, or use wormholes or teleportation, or something...

We're running out of time for that.

>>18212736
But why though?
>>
>>18212335
Ahhh the brain-child that-thinks it would be Swell by being Reduced to an utter pixel.
>>
>>18212802
>running out of time

A global human extinction would be pretty difficult. I could see maybe a war knocking us back to a pre industrial revolution state. But with all the info we have available in libraries and our individual knowledge, we could probably be back to our current tech level in under a century (with an imparative to not repeat the mistakes we made).
>>
>>18212823
Aww come the fuck on. You're telling me a universe consisting of a single stream of binary information wouldn't be dank as fuck?
>>
We live in a simulation god Damnit
>>
>>18213435
And what do you think that means? Do we all live in a dusty black box in a rack of servers? The universe is fractal, my nigguh.
>>
If we start work now, maybe we'll have something by the time this planet is done for. Of course, that won't solve the problem of the heat death of the universe.
>>
We're building an infrastructure for the AI that's infected our civilization. Once we're finished, we're either borg or toast.
>>
>>18211464

Terraforming mars could be done in as little as 50 years and might take a 100-200 years. Fine enough by me.
>>
>>18213809
>50
>100
>200
did you just pull those figures out of your ass?
>>
>>18213584
That can't happen though. Think about causality, and quantum physics.
>>
>>18213852
I'm too drunk for this shit, nigga. Tell me what you're trying to say.
>>
>>18213714
AI is a small part of how strange the future could be. I'm all for the chemical enlightenment of biophysical reality.
>>
>>18211464
"I cannot have Star Trek so all is lost and nothing matters."

Back to Riddit with ye.
>>
>>18213714
This is actually insightful. Except it's not an AI, or even intelligent. It's a pattern of social and cultural habits. This creates an emergent system called "Global Society" which truly runs everything. The rich and powerful only feed it, they cannot and do not control it.

It's mindless so this whole system is sending us towards our doom with nobody at the wheel and no brakes.

Even though your interpretation isn't accurate, your perception of it is.

A global conspiracy of bad habits. There's an absurd dark comedy in that.
>>
>>18213995
ayup
>>
>>18213995
Kek too bad solar is cheaper than coal now.
And we can genetically modify foods and revive dead species.
Git smart nigger.
The worst you'll see is limited nuclear war or a 3rd world power grid outage.

Our parents may have fucked shit but were retards if we can't fix it with what we have now.
>>
>>18213868
You're always going to have ripples in spacetime, no matter how small. Assuming we keep searching for a smaller size scale (we tend to keep discovering smaller things), the "definition" of the ripples will always increase. Therefore, the universe can't die.
>>
>>18211749
Espero que vocĂȘ seja Br pra falar com toda essa autoridade anon.
>>
>>18213995
It's not random or by chance or human nature. It's an AI, and sociopaths/psychopaths are those who have been infected. The full story is far too complex to write here.
>>
>>18214362
Yes and the Great War was the war that ended all wars
>>
>>18214422
What did he mean by this???
>>
>>18214502
Ask a more specific question and I'll try to answer
>>
>>18214651
How do you know this?
>>
>>18214654
Lots of research, study, introspection over many years. I don't know for an indisputable fact that it's correct, but I'm just one of many who've been considering this.
>>
>>18214362
If you, like many here, develop a healthy pessimism, you'll see what I say is true. The trick is to emotionally detach from that pessimism and be skeptical of it as you should any belief or perception you have. Then that pessimism becomes liberating instead of life-destroying, and if parts of that worldview are false you just throw them away.

Unquestioning, emotionally invested optimism is a drug. Your preferred brand seems to be techno-optimism.
>>
>>18214669
Perhaps you are making creationistic assumptions instead of evolutionary ones? In a very literal sense: seeing a mind as being behind an evolutionary system (cultural evolution in this case.)
>>
>>18211464
>Humans can't travel at the speed of light and even if we could it would still take years in a cryo sleep tube to preserve our bodies until we got there.

Faster than light travel is indeed a possibility, due to the fact that we may discover new attributes about space that we are unaware of at this time.
>>
>>18214684
Creation and evolution have unfortunately become politicized, loaded terms. From the strict denotations of those words my thoughts ultimately encompass a bit of both... but from the modern political usage my thoughts fall into neither camp.
>>
>>18214704
I recommend doing further research into biological evolution and the evolutionary history of life (which I think are fascinating in themselves.)
>>
>>18214735
I have. Wasn't kidding when I said many years of study and research across the spectrum. I'm a curious type. And now I'm going to bed, I'll pop back on in the morning just in case anyanon wants to chat a bit.
>>
>>18214760
I am interested in your reasoning - not to try to tear it down to fuel my ego, but from a curiosity of it.
>>
>>18214784
Like I said I've been at this for awhile, it's more of a combination of life study and experience. Haven't had the urge to write anything in bite size format. I'm happy to talk specifics but am not going to embark on answers that would require book length responses. If that doesn't interest you it's okay.
>>
>>18211464
You are thinking about the human endeavour far too linearly. We as a species are in a transitory period of technological growth and evolution if you want to call it that. It is not we as we are now who will travel the stars.

It is highly likely we as humans will give birth to the machines similar to what is depicted in the matrix. Depending on the programming this could go several ways. It the early stages we may merge with machines and live as cyborgs. Organic intelligence is limited in that our bodies are not maintainable. The machines may eventually decide to leave earth and expand their influence but they may also not see any great benefit in doing so, they are machines after all, and could live comfortably in the barren wasteland that was once organic earth.

I think it is more likely the machines would continue their expansion and exploration and technological development until the point in which it collapses in on itself forming some sort of intelligent singularity like the end boss in the matrix. This machine would just simulate the entire universe fall in on itself and then you land up back here typing this post.
>>
>>18212335
This intrigues me. What is this?
>>
>>18215896
A type of hypothetical space station concept.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Neill_cylinder
>>
>>18213435
science is an abstraction of reality. It is only a tool like a shovel. Many people use science as a replacement for a religion. a world sim would be as complex as reality itself. the assumption of a sim would be pointless.
>>
>>18211464
>I did not read the other replies as I do not want to soil my opinion on this.
What you said is exactly the answer to your last statement. Our "leaders" whatever you may call them do not seem to give a shit about maintaining this planet and some(a lot) of people like getting distracted by researching better ways to implement stuff. Anyway are you saying that we should cease tech research? Why?
>I like going into the forest and learn old techniques and such.
>I am not talking solely about survival here.
Still...why should we cease the research? Let all the convenience kill the weak and let the strong live.
I realise you are not talking about going back to hunting and gathering but humanity does not seem to understand the concept of stagnating. Hence new tech all day errday.
As for terraforming...idk man it would only be logic to try that tech on our planet first. You know massive campaigns like: we will cease global warming...and shit. Anyway that won't solve shit because the planter will run out or resources eventually. They are already researching asteroid mining. I have no patience to go further with this...I said it already we will not stagnate, it is not in our nature.
>>
>>18215805
Yea but whats the point in being nothing more than a stepping stone for machines?
>>
File: ring.jpg (128KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
ring.jpg
128KB, 1600x900px
>>18215955
Orbitals best artificial earth
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.