[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

contingency plan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10

Is it not troublesome to people with half a brain that we have no way off this rock in the event of an extinction level event? That the elites/world leaders are the only ones getting off this rock in that scenario?

The media distracts the masses with politics, social justice, surface level/identity issues, religion, etc, yet we do nothing to ensure our own personal survivals. It's high time people concerned actually start working to get off this planet
>>
File: 1449693457381.jpg (341KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1449693457381.jpg
341KB, 1920x1080px
>>18149455
Much more likely that we would burrow inside the earth locust style.

Bunkers exist all over the place. In my town there's a pretty deep cave/tunnel system that was used during the blitz. Speaking from one of the most bombed towns in WW2 these tunnels are pretty safe. Extinction event would probably still decimate anyone here, granted, but it's better than nothing, plus I'm on the coast so the tide is more of a problem than any largescale nuclear/natural crisis that would be localized elsewhere.

I would agree that a worldwide failsafe would be a good idea. The best I can think of is Mars, and that is being worked on, though the first manned missions have been pushed back over and over.
>>
>>18149470
chances are the answers are outside the solar system. I feel that the effort should be to sustain in space itself, whether it be colonies or some other relatively long term survival method for long journeys

I'd personally rather brave the unknown rather than entrench further in this planet myself. I'd also imagine there could be potential events that would even render bunkers useless-a collision from a large objects for example, or planet destroying catastrophe. Plus, it's not bound for our lifetimes but eventually the sun will engulf the planet, and even before that there have been extinction events we don't even know the precise details of
>>
>>18149470
>Image

Ah, I fondly remember the great /k/lankening
>>
>>18149455
Read Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.
>>
In the event of a true worldwide extinction event, 95%+ of humanity will probably die. The vast majority of us just aren't prepared to handle it and the rest don't have true sustainable strategies. In the end the survivors will either be the wealthy or the lucky and we'll have another genetic bottleneck to deal with.
>>
File: future evolution.jpg (35KB, 260x330px) Image search: [Google]
future evolution.jpg
35KB, 260x330px
>>18149542
The majority dying is not everyone dying. This book makes a very good case that barring a planet-killer, humans are at this point extinction-proof. We're too numerous, too spread out, too adaptable.

I recommend it - it's a slightly brighter view of the future than most "humanity will be wiped out and other creatures will dominate" books of this nature, although it is rather pessimistic on our ability to colonize space.
>>
>>18149455
I'll just welcome the sweet embrace of death. I just hope that I am one of the lucky ones who die instantly.
>>
>>18149553
A sci-fi book's ideas are fine but only time will tell. There's too much that depends on circumstance to predict what will happen.
>>
>>18149553
>extinction-proof
BS, where at the point in our population and density where rats begin to fight and refuse to mats. Some ethnic groups are doomed, two of which are keystone races which when they go the rest of humanity will follow shortly as they have no one to leech off of.
>>
>>18149560
Yeah me too. Quit focusing on underground bunkers and start distributing "quit pills" for when ELE hits.
>>
>>18149577
>tfw Japan is nosediving
They need to get their act together
>>
>>18149542
my point is I'd rather be part of that 5%

>>18149560
for some reason I have an urge to survive a cataclysm even tho I hate life and find it rather annoying and pointless. Something about surviving everyone else dying out seems attractive
>>
File: global food vs pop.png (84KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
global food vs pop.png
84KB, 500x250px
>>18149575
Futurology is not science fiction. The point of the book is to show that EVEN IF some of these events happen, it is unlikely to wipe out the human race. It bases it's ideas on (the) current trends and facts. It is MUCH better than
>In the event of a true worldwide extinction event, 95%+ of humanity will probably die.
Which doesn't even make sense because a "true" extinction event means by definition that 100% of humanity will die.

>>18149577
>where at the point
Well, no. We've been having this tolled by doomsayers since Malthus and before. Humans have always been able to keep food production in pace with population growth on a global average.

And even if we don't
>the point in our population and density where rats begin to fight and refuse to mats
This is a natural process to reduce population back to sustainable levels. Overcrowded rabbits will even absorb fetuses back into their bodies. Humans turn into gays and neets when there is no ability to expand.

>two of which are keystone races which when they go the rest of humanity will follow shortly as they have no one to leech off of.
>/pol/ plz lv
But even if civilization collapses, that is not the end of humanity.
>>
>>18149639
>for some reason I have an urge to survive a cataclysm even tho I hate life
That's literally basic survival instinct
>>
>>18149648
>futurology isn't science fiction
Oh boy here we go
>>
>>18149650
>basic survival instinct
What about those who do not possess same?
>>
File: 1395098896783.jpg (409KB, 724x886px) Image search: [Google]
1395098896783.jpg
409KB, 724x886px
>>18149679
>hear gunshots outside of house, don't hit deck, don't move at all, it's like worrying about huge asteroids or planets with tho system hitting us, why worry about what you can't change
>worry about browser history being public
>worry about talking to women in pubic as just a hello
Why can't I be normal?
>>
>>18149455
Even if we left Earth, where the hell would we go? Mars? Even if we could make life work there (and that's a big if), that won't save us from stuff that would destroy the whole solar system.

The fact is that we're stuck here because the technology just isn't there. We're not going anywhere without FTL.

>>18149595
That has a lot to do with Japanese men increasingly rejecting the ridiculous expectations of male gender roles, which is something that's also happening in other first world countries. Current trends will continue unless our societies start treating men better.
In any case, I'm not sure there's much point to surviving an extinction event anyway. With no electricity, Internet, or video games, I'd rather just be dead.
>>
>>18150111
If you want to die Just because you got no Internet, maybe reevaluate your life choices.
Maybe i am te First to bite it, but i will Not Go Down without a Fight when i only get half a Chance to.
>>
>>18149455
Yes, but there are too many with less then half a braun around.
I guess the Second a viable propulsion Methode ist found, we as a species experience a new rush into the unknown, Just as some hundreds of years ago the colonization of the u.s.
And, since there is some massive squeeze to be get, Big Corp will Push for it. EM Drive, anyone ?
>>
>>18150111
>that won't save us from stuff that would destroy the whole solar system.
Every planet will fail and falter eventually, but a whole solar system being taken out in a reasonably close timeframe can only really happen if the sun starts to fail on us, but by that point humanity will most probably have been killed off some other way.

>We're not going anywhere without FTL
The solar system is our best bet, and we don't need FTL to do that. Expansion of the galaxy and other star systems would require FTL or negative mass etc. so yeah, that's probably off of the table, but If earth is fucked because of our influence or say, a random meteor then we CAN still go to mars, and as stated above the chances of the whole solar system being in jeopardy is so minute it shouldn't really be taken into account.
>>
>>18150598
>Just as some hundreds of years ago the colonization of the u.s.
If you think that was a big unknown you probably don't know enough about history to draw such a comparison. I get what you mean, it's just a little weak.
>>
We shouldn't be scared of an event that destroys us all, I mean c'mon, we were gonna die eventually, at least we can go out in a ball of glory or in a last stance fight against a never ending horde of zombies, shit even just plain ol' toxic gas is more exciting than old age.
>>
>>18150630
Fear is natural. While many will stand defiant, none of us really want to leave this life.
>>
>>18150630
And space is more exciting than any of those, plus we can potentially survive in space(w the help of equipment but in space nonetheless)
>>
File: tumblr_n58iigbcWC1qzsq0xo1_400.gif (997KB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n58iigbcWC1qzsq0xo1_400.gif
997KB, 380x285px
>>18150111
>>18150599
>>
>>18149455
Why shouldn't everyone but the "elite" die? If you want to survive you should git gud.
>>
>>18149455
Naw, I already buried some supplies in an abandoned mine system. I'll be good.
>>
I dont much care. when i die im going to the place thats the best.
>>
>>18149455
The amount of resources and energy it would take to transport and colonize billions of people on Mars or anywhere else in our solar system is so fantastic that it is well, fantasy.

Even an Earth after a theromonuclear war and the worst case climate change disaster would be hugely more habitable than Mars.

You're an idiot who is just going "Hurr just have smarty pants peopull figure out stuff" without having a shred of an idea of what you are talking about. Take a vow of silence for the rest of your life to spare humanity from your stupidity.
>>
>>18149455
I've got a couple of plans myself, I guess I'll see if they pan out.
>>
>>18149455
Very unlikely.

We will probably die in this planet, including the elites.

Perharps we could even colonize some of the other planets in our galaxy, but no more than that.
>>
>>18149577
Fucking stormweenie with your dumb ass cotractions an arbitrary notions of race. There are black scientists and mathematicians too you know there are latino engineers and surgeons . Muy asian higher iq muy caucasian iq tests there is more to life than anime ya faggot.
>>
>>18149505
>I'd personally rather brave the unknown rather than entrench further in this planet myself
You wouldnt have resources enough
>>
>>18150931
The fact that you can't even write a coherent sentence completely undermines whatever the fuck you're trying to say. You're brown, aren't you?
>>
>>18150931
WE WUZ SCIENTISTS!!! AND SHIIIEEEETTTT!!!!

I'm not particularly racist myself, but every time I see this argument I cry. Sure, there are exceptions there will always be exceptions. But what's their average in the US? How many do indeed take jobs relating to those specific fields?

I could say on average nearly all NFL players will be black, you'll say that's racist but it's fucking true. You're opinion is shit, and so is your shitty emotional bias.
>>
>>18150952
Fix'd

Your opinion is shit
>>
>>18150965
LOL
>>
>>18149455
>extinction level even

But that won't be allowed. How would the elites survive then? There will be enough humans left.
>>
>>18150111
>With no electricity, Internet, or video games, I'd rather just be dead
Rebuilding from absolutely nothing, so much so that there is no longer a grid to get off of, would be more exciting than any video game or any site that ever existed. It'd be literally a life and death situation 24/7 until some infrastructure is rebuilt.

I wouldn't cash out. Building my own cabin and shit sounds like hard work, but also exciting.
>>
File: uHRmE8IW_400x400.jpg (16KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
uHRmE8IW_400x400.jpg
16KB, 400x400px
>>18150982
You mistake how much control the elites have, or how smart they are. Ultimately they are subject to the same retarded cultural forces we all are - they only difference is that they make money off of feeding the beast.

All shall be toasty and roastie, my ghostie.
>>
>>18150965
WUZ
>>
File: th (2).jpg (10KB, 300x188px) Image search: [Google]
th (2).jpg
10KB, 300x188px
>>18150965
>>18151051
>>
>>18151051
KANGZ
>>
>>18150952
Race doesn't correlate with intelligence. If that's what your implying you're racist trash.
>>
>>18151072
Sheeeit
>>
File: 1473434596585.png (3MB, 1090x1074px) Image search: [Google]
1473434596585.png
3MB, 1090x1074px
>>18150999
Kek has spoken.
>>
>>18149455
It's not like we are less likely to die on another rock, anyway.

The 3 most likely apocalipse scenarios are solar explosion, big crush and ginormous meteors. All of these would fuck up every other planet on this solar system, be either by burning itself to death alongside earth or fuck it's gravity to hell. And every option outside our solar system is difficult as shit to get, it's not like you can mix coke with mentos and fuck off to andromeda.
>>
>>18151298
Then what does it correlate with? Why do certain races tend to gravitate more towards science labs than football fields?

I already know what you're going to say anyways. But, I guess I can hear you out.
>>
Okay say the elite get off the planet. What makes you think they have a higher chance of survival? Yeah they might be able to grow some veggies in a shuttle, but what about water? Longterm shelter? You think they know how to operate equipment like that? Even if they don't starve and are shielded from radiation poisoning, the sheer length of time in isolation will drive them crazy.

The most likely solution as someone else said is to go underground if possible, but honestly if the moon like...exploded tomorrow, elite or not people are not going to survive.
>>
>>18150601
Lol, Trust me, i do know my history. I think it is Not _ thst_ mich a difference. Die the average colonist have more then a rough idea what would Happen ? No. Did the governments of that time have a netter undetstanding of the real Situation then esa / NASA / private Corp will have from , lets say, any Body in our Solar System? No.
Eben the Motivation will be comparabel. Corporate strife for Profit , be it fur Trade or unregulated r&d are stable Parameters. Personal search for a different social Situation, to escape unemployment, religious freedom, nothing changes. Only the garments Change, the people stay the Same.

In other news : fuck autocorrect.
>>
>off the planet

The only thing leaving this planet's atmosphere is my sides whenever somebody says this like its a viable option.

The world elite have enough tech, resources and power to survive any level of societal collapse. the US army has nuclear bunkers stocked to support isolated regiments for 50 years without contact with the outside world.

we're not stupid enough to actually destroy this world with nukes.
>>
>>18149455
How do you know we don't have a way off? Maybe you and I don't, but if the secret space war is real, They do.
>>
It's retards like in here why we're getting nowhere. You dumb fucks are talking about race, justifying the elites, and trying to shoot holes in something that is pretty much inevitable. We're going to be able to be space faring, hell we'd be there if it wasn't for shit like religion, surface level identity arguments, politics, etc. But keep being fine knowing you'll fry on earth and the politicians, world leaders and kikes will be clinking wine glasses in safety over your ashes
>>
File: 1462245715461.jpg (704KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1462245715461.jpg
704KB, 1920x1040px
>>18152154
See, this anon gets it.

If the elites have a way off this rock to escape some catastrophe, god bless 'em. Hope the mini meteorites don't get you. Or the radiation. Or the bitter cold.

I myself am a tradesman. I'm a master mechanic that dabbles in anything pertaining to machinery, machining, and building (and all that entails). I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and make what I need.

tl;dr take up a hobby, learn how to use your brain and hands to build something. if shtf then go into survival mode and do whatever you have to to ensure yours and your family's survival.

We're humans, we think. we solve problems, we adapt easily. I think we could rebuild society just like they did thousands of years ago.

Fear nothing, believe in yourself.
>>
>>18152154
>religion, surface level identity arguments, politics, etc
Those exact traits are what led Europe to its incredible technological leaps, military experience, and expansionist drive which allowed those countries to essentially take over the world.

Faggot atheist libs really need to read history before they spout nonsense.
>>
>>18154581
>implying Europe taking over the world was a good thing

I bet you hate immigrants too. Do you realize that immigrants from poor countries wouldn't be a problem if Europe didn't "settle" them? We wouldn't have America shitting on the world if we just left America to the natives. God you white supremacists are tards.
>>
>>18152154
>we'd be there if it wasn't for shit like religion
A monk discovered genetics.

A priest came up with the Big Bang theory.

The conflict thesis is nonsense.
>>
>>18149455
The though of all the world leaders that know nothing of agriculture or manufacturing, establishing a colony all by them selves when all they used to do is manage people is ludicrous. More like and ark thing like from 2012 movie.(havn't watched it myself so i hope i'm right)
>>
>>18154715
Please kill yourself
>>
>>18152154
>hell we'd be there if it wasn't for shit like religion, surface level identity arguments, politics, etc
most of those things got us where we are today.

>le without religion we'd be a type II civilization by now
meme needs to end
>>
>>18151298
Yes, it does. It is racist. But it's also true and accurate, and anyone who denies it is running off the basis of emotion and is unfit to lead.

Brownies pls go
>>
>>18152154
people clinking wine glasses are the only ones who deserve to live anyway

>boohoo space isn't good unless we can take all the niggers and farmer chinks too

maybe if you weren't nigger level yourself you wouldn't be upset about this
>>
>>18154581
Actually it's what held Europe back, without the church and religious influence science would have prevailed and advanced instead of being threatened to burn at the stake. Same goes for the Islamic world and any regressive dogmatic faith. But keep romanticizing the idea that christian europe was the greatest achievement of mankind and keep making excuses for desert faiths

>>18154858
Shill kike detected

It's really sad how cancerous the alt right has made 4chan and trolling in general. This place used to be great, hell even summerfags were better than these alt right losers
>>
>>18154820
Thank you for proving my theory.
>>
>>18155011
You actually believe this don't you? That's funny.

There never would have been Natural Philosophers without the church, and there never would have been a Sir Francis Bacon, the Puritan.

Science wouldn't exist without the efforts of the church.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.