[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are we not talking more about this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: ratan-600-560px.jpg (69KB, 560x367px) Image search: [Google]
ratan-600-560px.jpg
69KB, 560x367px
Seriously, /x/, maybe this is nothing to get excited about, it could just be a telescope picking up something too close to the lens to identify, but it could be something more.

With all our jawing about things that have NO EVIDENCE whatsoever, here's something with some sort of tangible evidence.

Let's talk about this. Pretty please.

http://www.seti.org/seti-institute/a-seti-signal
>>
It's not sexy enough for /x/ unfortunately. No wild claims about the nature of reality, no tulpas, no lerminarty.

As the article you cited says, even the discoverers doubt it's et.

Even if they did discover evidence of extra solar life, the announcement would probably be so low key that /x/ would miss it till it showed up on zergnet or somewhere similar.
>>
>zergnet
I don't know what that is; I'll have to give it a google search, but news being passed off in this low-key manner is exactly what I feel /x/ excels at. Picking up on the conspiracies being buried. In fact, that seems to be the only rational reason that /x/ still exists, aside from 18 year olds trying to act like 12 year olds trying to scare one another.
>>
Thought they just debunked that?
>>
>>18106901
You thought wrong.
>>
>>18106904
(ง︡'-'︠)ง
>>
>>18106910
Offer any shred of evidence that SETI "debunked" the reading, and I'll change my tune. Otherwise, you're a shit poster and I ignore you. I'm not seeing anything on the site or any news organizations to suggest that they "debunked" a legitimate reading.
>>
>>18106925
What is there to bebunk? Debunk what?
>>
>>18106932

"that."

>>18106901

I also heard that they did the thing at the place.
>>
>>18106932
The evidence presented.
>>
>>18106935
evidence for what exactly? Cant debunk pure data that has yet to be properly interpreted
>>
>>18106942
Okay. Identified as shit poster. Engaging ignore.
>>
>>18106944
what?
Why cant you answer my question?
You act like there is a clear consensus on the signals. tell me
>>
>>18106942
If this were /sci/ I'd agree with you. But on /x/ the point is to speculate on the arcane. So please, go back to /sci/.>>18106948
>>
>>18106949
(You)
>>
>>18106950
That's a pretty pathetic attempt.

Anyway, does anyone with brains have anything to say?
>>
>>18106949
>debunk [claim]
>>what claim?
>hurr, you are such a shitposter and at the same time make way too much sense for this ghost board

what?!
>>
>>18106954
I dunno. He says why don't we talk about this. Then you say it's debunked. Then he says, "where is it debunked?" and you offer nothing. I think your existence is pointless really.
>>
>>18106958
debunked what? I am asking simple questions. What is the implication? As far as I know, there is no clear consensus on the nature of the signal. So what the fuck is it that he wants debunked?
>>
>>18106960
You're a halfway amusing retard, but amusing nonetheless.

The implication is stated on the site listed. SETI, which is a trustworthy source. Some signal has come. The source does not say it is ET, as that's too sexy, but it's something we, by which I mean the adults, honey, not you, should discuss on /x/. There is no consensus. That's what makes it juicy. Now let's discuss. OP? Come on with it. Give us more thoughts to guide us. But, yes, let us discuss (again, not you, honey. Please understand that there is a reason for the adult table).
>>
>>18106963
Ok let's discuss.

It's aliums /thread
>>
It's too real to discuss anything fantastic about it. Like, one thread or even one post is enough.
>>
>>18106963
>condescending shitpost
I told you repeatedly that there is no consensus and that we just have the signal. Thanks for being a parrot.
Well, cool. So you agree, that there is nothing to debunk then. Glad you agree, you difficult cunt
>>
>>18106963
>But, yes, let us discuss
Please enlighten us. What is it you want to talk about if it isnt wether or not the signal has alien origin?
>>
It'd be cool if it was more wild like "YO WE LITERALLY HEARD AN ALIEN SCREAM FROM SPACE" or something but all we got is a very 'boring' frequency. Sure it probably is something crazy like actual intelligent life somewhere, but that might be all it is. Sometimes I wish life was like doctor who too
>>
So let's say there is intelligent life somewhere, maybe around the same as us when it comes to be technology. Could it be possible that they are evolved from a different species and not like an ape or whatever? (I honestly don't know what humans are supposed to evolve from but you get my meaning) Like, hypothetically could there be reptilians (not like david icke reptilians) on a planet somewhere? Like humans but look a little different
>>
>>18106974
I guess the humanoid body shape is very succesful and makes much sense from an efficiency and bio-mechanical point of view. Even of earth a lot of animals share features, that they developed indepently.
So there is no good reason to think something similar wouldnt be possible on a similar planet.
On the other hand, there are many ways for organisms to become a civilized and inteligent species. They could look like a race from Star Trek or like an amorphous blob with tentacles
>>
>>18106901
They themselves said that it is most likely nothing. Mostly retards here and """journalists""" that made it look like "Aliums CONFIRMED"
>>
>>18106885
This is the point parent is making. He is saying /x/ is so dumb it would have to wait till

> news about alien life completely take over tv
> after months of news they slowly starts fading from the attention spot as is now normal
> some low key forum makes a list of important events of the year: alien life discovered
> some regular /x/phile reads about it but since he is disconnected from reality misses months of news about it, never talks to anyone because he thinks friends are actually government agents or shit like that; mistakes it as the result of a conspiracy ("how else would I or anyone I know (he doesn't know anybody) not know about it")
> makes thread about low-IQ-virginity-guardian mandela effect about not remembering the event
> makes thread about how tulpa tells him about alien life
> makes thread about divination and tarot cards telling him about alien life
> makes thread about how alien life proves flat earth
> makes thread about how alien life conspiracy is really a cover for government-trying-to-collect-our-toenails conspiracy

I swear to god this is literally the only way this forsaken place can communicate
>>
>>18106980
One of the things that doesn't get looked at when hypothesizing life models, is that the human hands, and human feet co-evolved together. You can see this in monkeys, where their feet and hands are more similar. This has to do with the way the original elbow fish evolved. Each limb, used a copy of the same gene.

So, with humans what happened was that the same environment stimulus that made it preferable to have thick, sturdy feet, and strong legs, had to be present at the same time as the stimulus which caused our arms to shrink, and our hands to become delicate, eventually leading to the manipulation of tools. I'll say it again; our feet and legs became sturdy, with the same genes and due to the same environment stimuli which made it preferable to have thin, delicate arms and hands.

If the requirements for developing technology are:
- limbs
- with delicate tool manipulating extensions

Then the quickest most efficient way to get a terrestrial body that does that is to first create two pairs of limbs, so that it can be mobile on land, (and because genes always copy in pairs, especially with bilateral symmetry involved) and then to simultaneously harden the back limbs, while softening the forward limbs.

Sure, there's other models, maybe with extra limbs, or seafaring who only need two limbs (even one limb, I suppose). But in terms of terrestrial tool makers, humanoid is just about as basic as it can get, while still reaching the very simple requirement of forward limbs that are delicate enough to handle things without breaking them.

Gorillas for instance have hands as tough as your feet. Great for walking on, not so much for typing on keyboards.
>>
>>18107007
This is actually pretty hilariously accurate, although I think it applies to humanity in general. Replace a few keywords here and there. Tulpa <-> horoscope, and government agents <-> what the neighbors would think, and so on.
>>
File: 1420541030036.jpg (91KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
1420541030036.jpg
91KB, 640x400px
>>18107007
top kek
>>
>>18106854
Already debunked. Turned out it was a normal communications satellite.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/1113415702/alien-signal-debunked-090216/

>it could just be a telescope picking up something close to the lens to identify
>telescope
>lens

It's a radio signal. It's like you people don't even read the articles you claim are evidence of aliens.
>>
>>18106854
http://www.sciencealert.com/that-alien-signal-that-was-recently-detected-is-actually-just-a-terrestrial-disturbance
>>
>>18107420
>>18107422
That's just what they want you to think. Roswell was just a weather balloon too. Nothing to see here folks
>>
>>18107422
So it's an unregistered satellite. Now that's interesting too.

>>18107010
This brings to mind octopuses. What about sea life, developing intelligence in the water? Pretty interesting to play around with.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.