[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /x/ think of pic related?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

File: Welcome_to_Night_Vale.gif (15KB, 252x252px) Image search: [Google]
Welcome_to_Night_Vale.gif
15KB, 252x252px
What does /x/ think of pic related?
>>
>>18105137
first 20ish episodes were bretty good tbqh but I dropped it after they started pandering too much to tumblr with all the gay romance. plus later on it just got "LOL SO RANDOM" instead of actually building up a spoopy town lore.
>>
Amusing lolsorandum humor at the beginning. Gets old fast. Never actually spooky.
>>
Valefag reporting in.

It's pretty good, OP. Has its ups and downs and it dragged for a bit in Year Two, but worth a try.

Anyone tried Alice Isn't Dead?
>>
I enjoyed it right up until it started pushing gay romance hardcore (in both nightvale and also Alice), as well as moronic lefty memes.

Basically what the others said. Went from entertaining stuff to listen to while driving to bullshit "xD random" crap and gayness. As always, lefties ruin absolutely everything.
>>
>"my boyfriend CARLOS told me! see how progressive i am? let me just get into an entire aside about my gay relationship to carlos even though it has nothing to do with the story I was telling..."
>>
the idea is good, the first chapter is great, but then it gets waaaay too reddit and tumblr for me... (and i'm not a /pol/tard at all but come on...)
>>
>>18105239
This, i'm all liberal and pro gay's and shit but the
>oohh i'm soo progressive please love me tumblr!!!
disgusting
>>
>>18105166
the dog park shit spooked me a little, i find the idea of a dog park interesting, it gets old inmediatly
>>
>>18105137

It's comfy.

Although, to be honest, I probably listened to the first 20-30 eps and haven't gone back in a while.
>>
After 30 episodes the romance plot gets pushed way too hard. Even for a traditional romance it comes up too much for what's supposed to be an occult-based comedy.

Mara Wilson's voice feels like it's having sex with my ears though.

It's a shame because it's a good setting and they did some nice world-building, but it's just ruined by the pandering.
>>
>>18105239
How was it pushed in Alice? Because there was a gay couple?
>>
>>18105137
pretty much what everyone else has said. they jumped the shark and became pretty formulaic. I appreciated the desert bluffs/corp arc though in the d=end if fell a bit flat everything ust kinds of works out in the end and that takes away any tension. everyone you like lives pretty much. ive listened to them all because I'm a podcast whore. The interestingness definitely waned and they got too gay with all the science man lolrandom bs. it feels like a slashfic after a while.

alice was much better. though I can feel them building the story and it will probably get crappy next season. I guess I wanted her to wander a bit more.
>>
>>18105426
This, a creepy small town shouldn't have half the population as special snowflake tumblr genders.
>>
>>18105137

I think they didn't push the gay romance that hard and you all are projecting your disgust in a bigger way than you think. I listened to the most of it not realizing it had any connection to a Tumblr fanbase and I didn't notice anything.

It does have it's ups and downs, but I have to agree it's a little spookier toward the beginning and that is what I actually enjoyed about it.
>>
>>18105152

This.
>>
>>18105137
The voice acting is fucking atrocious.
I mean, a deep voice is fine, sure, but to talk that stiltedly and weirdly is just awful to listen to.
It would be 20x better if he used a normal radio voice to describe all the creepy shit going on, give things a sense of banal horror.
The way he talks just seems like he's trying too hard to be creepy.
>>
>>18105137
I didn't like it
>>
>>18105206
Yeah, it's not bad, kinda scary. The plot doesn't really make sense, I wish it would work in a more episodic style. The loop through the town episode and the factory by the sea were my favorite examples of what I liked
>>
Year 1 is already complete. Don't bother with the rest of the years.
>>
>>18105137

Gets old real quick, first ~20 episodes were tight though.
>>
>>18107510
this echos my sentiments exactly
>>
>>18105137
It started out great, but it got too popular with tumblr that the staff made it too niche. The /x/ factor just ebbs away by Year 3 and became more like Alternate Reality Quirky Hipster Horror San Fransisco. The tumblr fandom is also fucking cancer.

>>18105206
Ex-Valefag here. Alice isn't Dead was... okay? Though Jasika sometimes acts pretty flat and monotonous in very emotional scenes, so it kinda ruins the immersion.

>>18105239
The Cecil and Carlos relationship was fine by Year 2 (because it was almost like they are a legit human couple at first) if they treat it like it has problems like everyone else later on. If they at least give us Carlos' PoV on the situation back in Year 1 it would be great, but doubt that.

Year 3 basically had a good idea challenging their relationship using outside factors as an attempt to tear them apart, but just ended up playing too safe because Cecil was being real thirsty and Carlos is accused for "abusing" Cecil by tumblr standards. And the reunion was just too clean and unsatisfying because the challenges built for them just tore itself down too easily.

And Carlos just became solely Cecil's boyfriend afterwards with not much of character and integrity. Like a Carlos arc would be nice please?

>>18106601
Was actually more pissed by their other Spin-off Podcast, Within the Wires. I was confident it will more or less not follow the formula of the previous podcasts by making it more like a relaxing horror but they had to put in another romantic subplot in there. Like gimme my horror, you dicks!
>>
>>18105239
>lefties ruin everything
I can almost smell the doritos
>>
>>18105137
Had a lot of potential. Interesting setting and characters, and a fairly novel format which was well-utilized.

I felt like the creators got too self-satisfied with their success and jumped the shark as a result. Over-pandering to the worst parts of the fanbase and being smug instead of actually telling a good story.

I also hated how they borrowed half of Lovecraft's lore while bitching about how he was an awful writer because of his personal views. It's fine to not like someone as a person, but if you're going to use their ideas you better acknowledge their storytelling and how it inspired you.
>>
File: eeee444.jpg (1MB, 5000x5000px)
eeee444.jpg
1MB, 5000x5000px
>>18105137
>Things that Ruined Night Vale:
>In your face Gay Romance
>Going from Legitimately strange setting to Adams Family: The Town
>Focusing on recurring characters when they weren't that interesting to begin with, Example: 5 Headed Dragon that only popped up once and the writer was compelled to keep bring back for utterly lolrandumb reasons
>Forced Celebrity Voicing that does nothing to help the story, and in fact, only helps destroy any feeling of being isolated.
>First Major story arc is literally a anime War Arc
>Even Worse, the First Major story arc is 'we gotta fight the evil company' story sold to us since the 1970's
>Gets compared to HP Lovecraft and the Writer gets his panties in a wad over the fact that a man from the 1900's is against gay people
>Did I mention gay people?
The last decent episode was a computer taking over the school, and that's stretching the definition of decent.
>>
>>18106601
This. Calm down you /pol/ virgins.
>>
>>18105137
ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD
>>
I like the gay romance. It's not pandering. It's just a normal thing that happens.
>>
>>18106601
Gayfag and former Valefag here. They absolutely pushed the gay romance down our throat. When Carlos was introduced as a love interest, I thought "Oh, cute! That's nice." Somewhere in the next 20 times it was brought up to the detriment of any of the content I was actually here for, it got really old.

Nightvale is Virtue Signaling: The Podcast. I dropped it like a bad habit when the spoopy fun was abandoned for stories about empowered, noticeably queer heroines smashing the patriarchy. Honestly couldn't tell you what it was that tipped the scales for me, but it just stopped being fun. Maybe I made the mistake of peeking at the fanbase? Don't really remember.

>Inb4 UR /pol/

You know, there IS a place between /pol/ and tumblr. Reasonable people do exist within that spectrum.
>>
File: 1328751285803.jpg (75KB, 500x440px)
1328751285803.jpg
75KB, 500x440px
Really loved the early days. Still listen to it, and went to one of the live shows, and it's still great, but definitely a different tone/feel to it.

I think they should have just kept it to Cecil narrating because the difference in skill between the voice actors is grating in a lot of cases, and giving voices to a lot of the characters took away their charm/mystery/spoopy. (Not to mention, a lot of those reoccurring characters are kinda shit - I'm looking at you Five-Headed Dragon)

Hearing everything from just Cecil's POV let's you infer things in so many ways. Definitely miss that creepy feeling.
>>
>>18105137
Dropped it when it became too gay, literally.
There was no need for it, it was awesome with just the creepy/weird shit.
>>
it was "creepy" and very comfy at first, now is just "lol so ramdom" tumblr-core fandom-tier writing and uff... just not my shit
>>
i hate /pol/ and all, but the PC bullshit and the "ohh look at me i'm so progressive" is killing hollywood, the music industry and basically every art form
>>
both me and my therapist listen to wtnv together and we laugh a lot and also enjoy the storytelling. its genuinely unsettling sometimes, other times, the writing has a lot of tones of existentialism. i would recommend it to anyone.

ps, the romance plot with carlos and cecil was fine. like, its a thing that happens. "pandering" more like, people can't accept when gay people are main characters and actually do things. the argument that its trying too hard to be progressive is also bullshit. gay people, like, exist.
>>
>>18112612

save it for your therapist, cake boy
>>
>>18105137
I used to find it pretty entertaining. It got old, though.

Also, I went to one of their live shows and the people there were disgusting, like, worse than furry convention tier people
>>
File: 136.gif (3MB, 400x225px)
136.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>18112612
>"You hate gays" strawman

Gayfag from >>18111196 here. I guarantee that's not why I stopped liking the show, though your post did touch on one of the reasons I did. Nightvale didn't need a "Main Character." We had Cecil as a narrator and window into the town with recurring characters we learned about second hand. That formula worked perfectly. It became fan fiction of itself.

Also, I think the only song on The Weather I liked was "Waiting For The Bus" or whatever it was called. Everything else I remember was garbage.
>>
>>18105817
Alice is a lesbo
>>
>>18111160
>tfw triggered by gay people existing
>sensitive lefties will never understand True Horror
>>
>>18112612
They pandered to the tumblr crowd, included an unneeded gay romance in there, and became a parody of themselves.
The first 20 or so episodes were the best, when it was without Carlos being the fixation of Cecil, just like what happened with the X Files and Mulder fixating on aliens and his sister all the time.
No problems with gays, hated this when it went to shit because of the writer's attempt to gain more listeners from fringe groups.
>>
>>18113211
>No problems with gays, hated this when it went to shit because of the writer's attempt to gain more listeners from fringe groups.

Exactly this. My sexuality has become free advertising.
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 640x783px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 640x783px
I like it. Or...liked? I haven't actually listened to an episode since I bought the book. I like the weather music, albeit tryhard-indie sometimes.
>>
>>18105137
I can't say anything that hasn't already been said.
It's entertaining at first but it gets old quickly.
>>
>>18113386
Yup. I'd rather have substance over political correctness any day.
>>
>>18105137
I like the purple. Also, im smoking purple as we speak. Thank you Purple.
>>
considering the show is degrading, what would podcast would /x/ recommend that is like nightvale without the problems people have already listed?
>>
>>18114615
The Black Tapes podcast. It reminds me of Kolchak, the Night Stalker.
>>
>>18114615
>>18114667
Tanis, The Black Tapes mostly unrelated [spoiler]so far[/spoiler] sister podcast is just as good or a little better, imho.

There's some other good ones, too. Limetown is short [spoiler]so far[/spoiler] and quite good, Lore is generally historical spoopyness and is well made.

Knifepoint is my current favorite. A new, unrelated story every episode. It ranges from good to fucking excellent.

No Sleep bears mentioning. When it's bad, it's pretty bad, sometimes embarrassingly so. But about one in four stories is pretty darn good, sometimes even great. I've kind of dropped it in favor of Knifepoint, but once I'm through the backlogs, I'll probably go back to it. YMMV
>>
>>18105137
So around which episode should I stop listening to it? I don't want to waste my time
>>
>>18105152
100%. They had something really unique and interesting but couldn't keep it that way. Shame. It really could've gotten dark and actually spooky, but then the pandering happened.
>>
>>18115028
Maybe to about episode 15 or so.
>>
>>18114785
Knifepoint has such an inconsistent release schedule. I love it but I just wish it would be a regular podcast.
>>
>>18115063
Knifepoint is actually on an indefinite hiatus right now and the author expresses a retirement from horror. Which sucks because the horror stuff he makes is pretty great. Though I understand his sentiments.
>>
Like everything that ends up gaining a big fandom, fan pandering happened.
>>
File: monkeyinsurgency.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
monkeyinsurgency.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>18106601
If you don't notice Tumblr flavor it's often because you spend too much time on Tumblr
>>
>>18106601
The gay part of the romance isn't what bothers me. The romance itself is what bothers me. It doesn't need to be there. The fact that it IS gay feels really superficial and shoehorned in.

How often do you hear community radio broadcasters talk about their boyfriends or girlfriends? It's completely unnecessary.

My point is, gay or not, it isn't well written, feels out of place and certainly feels like it's pandering.
>>
File: 1464248328313.gif (2MB, 255x173px)
1464248328313.gif
2MB, 255x173px
>Nightvale Tumblred so hard, it became it's own Fanfic
>>
>>18118670
kek
>>
>>18112612
fuck off faggot
>>
>>18109392
haha wow nice meme there kiddo
>>
>>18115028
It has it's moments all the way up to at least like episode 30. Even afterwards, The Woman From Italy, Numbers, and A Story About Them are enjoyable. But when the story arc gets to the Old Oak Doors live shows (episode 49) you'll realise how bloated and unnecessary it has become and you'll be longing for the earlier simpler episodes.
>>
>>18105137

I more of a Last podcast on the left kind of guy
>>
>>18116425
Wow, that fucking sucks. Back to No Sleep, I guess.
>>
>>18119840
That's exactly where I stopped, good call.
>>
>>18105206
Listened to Alice Isn't Dead. I would rather it be just a podcast of a truck driver experiencing paranormal things. I hate that they keep focusing on this stupid story and I LOATHED that ending. The moment they started doing this SCP shit with the thistle man I dropped it. I'll listen to the non story line episodes in the next season but I don't know if they are going to do that anymore.
>>
>>18105137
call me a Valefag all you like, but I still like it. They pushed the gay relationship thing far too hard,
but if you can get to about year 3, things get pretty ok again. some of the more recent
episodes (about 70-90) actually have a decently tense atmosphere, and have toned
down the Reddit pandering to acceptable levels (Carlos takes a much needed back seat.)

I can honestly say I'm looking forward to future episodes
>>
>>18109363
>That third part about the relationship and everything

The problem wasn't that it was poorly written. The problem was that nobody was listening this for some fucking tumblr gay romance drama. They were listening to it for a picture of a creepy, mad town.
>>
>>18122498
Actually, Mike Rugnetta, the host of PBS Idea Channel, stated he listens to Nightvale for the romance.
>>
>>18106601
Replace Carlos with Carlita and it's still the same thing. Too much romance bullshit.
>>
I stopped listening to it months ago when it became too much of a chore. It's not that I didn't have the time for it (I listen to -on average- about three hours worth of podcasts PER DAY, not including music), but it's because it just declined in its quality a lot. A lot of people here have noted how tumblrish it got, and they're right. And no, I had no idea that there was any huge tumblr following to it until shortly before I finally did cut the cord. I remember that I had Googled the show to see if there were any places dedicated to talking about it, and I was curious to see if other people had been getting sick of it; and that's how I found out that it was a tumblr darling (not that it had any effect on me since I was close to dropping the show anyway).

I didn't mind the gay relationship between Cecil and Carlos (not that I'm even pro-gay relationships [I just don't give a shit]), but it did get annoying after a while. The romance thing wasn't even the major part of why it went downhill for me. It just seemed to me as if they had no real solid direction, and I really dislike how they lost the dark aspects of the world. I liked that there were those episodes where the people from their rival town (I think it's called Desert Bluffs) were the hosts and they had that kind "Everything is okay haha relax haha happy happy" vibe that felt as if they were being forced to be that way - that was cool; I feel like it became a little overdone though; a little to relied upon to be "random" when they couldn't figure out where the show was supposed to go. It felt like when some shitty food gets re-branded... but this time it has bacon on it! It's an apology for a sub-par product.

I'm babbling and I could go on, but I'll sum it up as such: awesome concept and it was really interesting for about the first 15-25 episodes before it began to decline to what felt like listening to listen to other kids read book reports in front of the class when you were in elementary school.
>>
>>18105137
I don't think I ever got past around 30 eps, but up until I stopped listening it was preddy gr8. Want to get back into it.
>>
Still better than George Noory's Coast to Coast AM
>>
>>18106601
I was annoyed because I thought Carlos was superhuman level attractive and everyone was in love with him, then it turned out it was just Cecil. Bait and switch maybe but a lame one that led into a romance plot where it wasn't needed.
>>
>>18109392
not an argument
>>
>>18110107
not an argument
>>
I used to love this podcast. I still think "A story about you" was one of the best things I have ever heard. I also thought it was actually cool that the character being gay was just a small element of the show and that it wasn't the central core of the story necessarily.

When I saw the live show last year though, it was the single most cringeworthy thing I had ever seen. Suddenly the scientist guy is running around on stage in a pink boa being "FABULAAAAAS" and I walked out.

Tumblr is a cancer that should be destroyed.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.