[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Open Seas General - /osg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 23

File: 234098324908.jpg (183KB, 1500x893px) Image search: [Google]
234098324908.jpg
183KB, 1500x893px
Share stories from diving, boating, swimming, or anything out in the ocean on the open seas, or even out in a lake or river. Water, really.
>>
anon from other thread checking in.
Basically I left it off with alot of the older guys swore up and down about mermaids and sirens etc etc. I never have directly seen anything with a tail but here is one of my stories.

>Be Commerical Diver
>Be 7:30 hours into 8 hr shift
>Feel tap from behind me.
>Turn around
>see figure in same suit as I (normal we all wear same suit)
>Talk over radio, hello.
>No answer
>dats strange.
>Figure has the bluest eyes I have ever seen.Like crystals
>Cant make out face although it looks like a woman
>Gestures at my umbilical which is super close to being super fucking knotted around some steel.
> I wave and gesture thanks.
>they just go on their way into the abyss.
>Try to radio crew again about shit radio
>Says we had you the entire time
>u wot m8?
>Ask who the other diver is down here
>Nobody down there anon...everyone has been up for nearly 30 minutes..just waiting on u
>WTF
>I go up and explain story
>Older dudes swear it was a mermaid
>>
>>18099504
Wow, damn, thanks for sharing. I think I would've retrospectively pissed myself. Which part of the world did this happen in?
>>
>>18099550
The part where it was underneath water . I would tell you but am sorta contractually obligated not to really let anyone know. Its not even a spooky thing just a competition thing. I have a few more I just have to shower first.
>>
Would love to hear more!
>>
>>18099600
Here I will leave you one before I go.

>Be me
>Walking around ship
>Be night out
>Its absolutely amazing to be outside in the middle of nowhere, with just the light of the moon.
>Look off into distance
>See something
>Cant quite make it out
>Ask cap if radar sees it
>says nope but he sees something too.
>We both concluded it looked like a ship
>Tried a spotlight...too far
>Tried air horn/ speaker.
>HELLO, Anyone out there? You guys having trouble.
>Loud clanks echo
>Its not Morse..just banging.
>Ask for moorse
>More banging still no moorse code though.
>We try to keep distance in case its a trap
>The banging stops and now we hear what sounds like a full crew going into battle stations which is weird because its a 100-200 foot boat at most...but we are at a distance and this could have just be echos...
>We finally get close enough to shine light.
>Just a lost boat, probably found its way there because a rope snapped.
>Upon closer inspection it looks ages old.
>Paint is basically stripped , holes everywhere...I dated it maybe to the 1900s.
>Whats crazy is the anchor was down..but it coulda been cuz rust.
>We try air horn again
>No answer.
>We try to radio nearest port.
>fuzz on the radio...we got through they said they would come check it out.
>By the time we got back .. ship was gone.
>>
>>18099663
Spoopy.
>>
>>18099663
they should put the boat into to the ship, you know, for science and things not disappear in thin air like in the movies leaving everyone clueless. The sea this a tricky place.
>>
File: dive_by_kate_fox-d8w03dz.jpg (95KB, 1280x772px) Image search: [Google]
dive_by_kate_fox-d8w03dz.jpg
95KB, 1280x772px
>>18099504
>>18099663
Thanks for posting anon, those are awesome! I'll definitely hope for more!
>>
more green text stories plz
>>
File: 960.jpg (59KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
59KB, 960x540px
Bump
>>
Diver anon here. I'm surprised nobody else had any stories? Is I the only one who experienced the spooky seas?
>>
My dad used to tell me stories about "the woman of the water". He said only her hand was out of the river or lake or whatever the body of water was. He said of someone grabed her hand, she would pull them down and drown them.
>>
>>18102408
I love the seas, but I almost never get to go out on them. Stuck on land with no spooky stories. Thanks for sharing yours, though, I love it
>>
>>18102652
I have a few more. Its pretty nasty outside so perfect story weather.
>>
File: 3452534.png (111KB, 732x419px) Image search: [Google]
3452534.png
111KB, 732x419px
>>18102687
If you're up to typing them up I'd love to read them . Just screencapped your earlier ones
>>
File: 3452535.png (153KB, 1008x541px) Image search: [Google]
3452535.png
153KB, 1008x541px
>>18102694
>>
Any specific kinda stories you wanna hear. I'm having a hard time picking one and don't wanna type up something bleh. You guys feeling suspense , downright spooky, or unexplained.
>>
>>18102713
This one >>18099504
was my favorite of the two. That sort of weird unexplained stuff, especially potentially related to folklore, is great.
>>
Alright I think this one would do the trick. I think you will enjoy it for obvious reasons.

>Be me
>Be in H.S
>Swimming at dusk
>Go a little (way) to far from shore.
>By now I have lost all track of time
>Having way to much fun
>Loose my bearing
>Tread water for a bit
>Trying to make a good decision.
>Looking around in a 360 motion
>Eventually two small circular florescent lights flicker in the distance.
>They are super tight, and basically perfect circles.
>Thinking to myself about how much I screwed up swimming this far at such a dumb hour.
>I follow the lights.
>Eventually It leads me to shore.
>I can see the lights a bit clearly.
>swim some more
>get onto shore
>Lights are gone.
>It was a wall on a nearby house type thing.
>Figure it was the moon reflecting on a small latch.
>>
>>18102756
Huh, that's weird as shit. No lights on the house?
>>
>>18102759
nope..But here is the creepy part. Refer to the other post..im sure it will make sense.
>>
>>18099504
How deep were you?

'Cause I'm calling nitrogen narcosis on this one.
>>
>>18102713
They all sound great, would love to hear anything.
>>
>>18103538
bamp because this, moar stories!
>>
More stories, doesn't matter if its just one person with lots of stories just keep going. No one minds.
>>
>>18099426
My friend and i have been going to our local lake a few times a month since February this year or so, Figure we enjoy the little things, Sit there, eat, drink, smoke, And talk alot, Numerous people have been suffocated by "Sand that pulls you in" ( im dutch sorry)

We hear alot of occasional laughter, Playing children heard, Suddenly little fresh footsteps around us ( a bit of a sandy area)
Seeing people walk by with weird faces ( deformed) and walking very stiffly

my friend says one person looked "bloated" as in somebody who has been dead for quite some time, Other then the occasional drug deal on the parking lot 20 meter behind us,Nobody vists the lake, Hardly during the day in the summer aswell!!!! pretty fucking strange if you ask me.

Lake Berkedonk in "De Rijpelberg" Helmond Netherlands
>>
>>18104011
Sorry for the sand that pulls you in part, Many people mistake the big sand dunes ( where a fence has been placed) as a playground, the sand is really white,

People in the 90`s have suffocated there, People died from bee stings ( :( )
Rape was also not weird there, Gang activity aswell, So im not suprised its a bit "Vague" over there
>>
>>18099426
BAMP for more stories!
>>
>>18102408
Well i love the ocean, amatuer speary/freediver. Been beaching since a lil one bout.... 22 years ish. Only once
>We be out on a boat with friends.
>me be 9ish
>boat ran outa fuel kek
>w8ing for owners m8 to run some out
>a few people swearing they can hear someone calling for help and splashing around a way off
>night so cant see shit
>rest of us cant hear shit
>all stay put and eventually it apparently stopped
>to this day some of em say there was someone drowing the others say nothing was making any noise
Police received no reports of missing peoples around the area.
But thats it really.
Well one other scare
Oh had a pod of dolphins come within touching dostance when bodyboarding.
Saw the first one in the wave, fin first and nearly shat myself before i realised what it was.
Now i know theyd rape me anyway eh?
>>
>>18102756
Dude, it was an angel.
>>
>>18104011
Holy shit !
>>
>>18104011
That's pretty intense, thanks for sharing
>>
Where do the merfolk mostly live? North Atlantic?
>>
>>18104422
Thanks and your welcome ! i keep this tab open, Open bodies of water fascinate me ! i was looking for the word quicksand !
>>
File: snorkeler.jpg (12KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
snorkeler.jpg
12KB, 250x188px
>Be me, mid-20s, sleeping at home (Florida Keys)
>Phone rings, frantic call from my friend Jim.
>"Get your mask and snorkel and get down here as soon as you can--emergency!"
>Jim was active guy, but blind as a bat without his coke-bottle-thick glasses.
>Earlier that morning he had tipped over his Hobie Cat and lost his new state-of-the-art bifocals in the water.
>His charter business was slow that summer and his wife had laid out 2 weeks pay for the new specs.
>"If we don't find those glasses, she'll scratch my eyes out!"
>We sail back to where the boat had tipped.
>He said it was near a sandy patch about 100 feet offshore.
>We snorkeled back and forth, in a grid pattern for about an hour.
>Sponges, fish, an occasional conch shell. But no glasses.
>Jim swims farther out--"They must be out here somewhere!"
>I keep looking where we were for a little longer before moving out.
TBC
>>
>>18104641
>See a pile of debris on the bottom and swim down for closer look.
>Find two bent welding rods on the bottom and bring them up.
>Remember reading that they could be used like divining rods to find things.
>It was in a book called "Henry Gross and his Dowsing Rod."
>Grab them by the short ends and swim in circle with the idea that they would indicated direction to swim to find glasses.
>Remember our preacher said this is some kind of necromancy, therefore bad.
>Superstitious nonsense, not to be messed with.
>Just then the rods crossed in front of me.
>Meanwhile Jim is shouting "Out here! Out here!"
>"OK, OK! Just a sec!"
>Decide to swim forward with the rods for just a little way.
>They cross again. I look down.
>Bingo! The glasses were right below me.
>I swim down and scoop them up.
>By now Jim is bellowing, "You're wasting your time! Come out here!"
>I drop the rods and hold the glasses up. "I got 'em!"
>He never did believe me, when I told him how I found them.
>But it was true.
>>
>>18104641
Dowsing

My grandfather showed me this when i was little. He was an engineer and his job was to erect emergency bridges for the railroad.
He used dowsing to find water and electrical pipies when they werent where they were supposed to be on his maps.

But the thing that really got him, he stressed this to me
>How do they know what you're looking for??
>>
>>18104670
>>18104694
Strange! I'm going to have to try this dowsing rod thing
>>
>>18104694
It's simple really. Everything is energy. Even the thoughts we are thinking.
>>
File: Dowsing20Rods2017671.jpg (51KB, 500x268px) Image search: [Google]
Dowsing20Rods2017671.jpg
51KB, 500x268px
>>18104694
>How do they know what you're looking for??
I always thought that it's a way of tapping into your unconscious mind.
Like you already have some kind of intuitive knowledge of where something is (or is likely to be found).
But I still have to ask myself:
>What the heck were these rods doing in that pile of debris 100' offshore?
>>
>>18104694
My great-grandfather did this. He found the place to drill the wells on his own land. That was the way you did it back then.

It's a real thing, though I don't think everyone can do it. Everyone could probably get better with practice, but some people just have the knack. My G-Grandfather did, that's for sure.
>>
>>18104011
>"Sand that pulls you in"

Quicksand?
>>
>>18105074
Yup, Found the word earlier.
>>
File: HenryGross.jpg (20KB, 200x298px) Image search: [Google]
HenryGross.jpg
20KB, 200x298px
>>18104670
>>
File: dindu_nuffin.png (1008KB, 617x634px) Image search: [Google]
dindu_nuffin.png
1008KB, 617x634px
>>18104694
>>18104757
>>18104970
>>18104999
This is awesome, I thought my grandfather and I were the only ones that could do this.

He taught me how to find wells, septics, and pipes on property using 2 bent coat hangers.

He showed me, and he found a pipe straight away.

Then he told me to do it, "Just hold them loosely and trust your instincts." was the only thing he said. I had found the septic using this method.

Been using it ever since, always get puzzled looks from other contractors. It's pretty damn awesome to tell them something is there, then they send their equipment out and prove I'm right.

The really weird part is that my dad can't do it. Tried it multiple times, but no dice.

So I'm inclined to believe that certain people that have really keen intuition can do it since my grandfather and I are 2 very intuitive individuals (him not so much anymore, 93 and alzheimers). I'm glad to find out there are others with this ability. It gives me hope for the human race...
>>
>>18105136
This guy's fame came from his friendship with author Kenneth Roberts, and the fact that he (supposedly) found the first fresh water wells in Bermuda.
>>
>>18099426
More Open Seas
>So a friend of mine was a retired commercial diver.
>Retired because slight case of bends.
>(Apparently if you spend a lot of time u/w (underwater), the standard dive tables don’t apply.
>There’s still a slight buildup of nitrogen that damages bone marrow after a while.
>So he told me.) But I digress.
>Anyway he still liked to dive for fun.
>And found it relaxing to go out to the Gulf Stream in his small Boston Whaler by himself.
>Into 300-400 ft. of clear blue water.
>He’d drop an anchor—it wouldn’t hit bottom, the anchor had maybe just 200 feet or so of line.
>It hung straight down, he’d put on his dive gear and dive down to maybe 60 feet, not so deep he’d use up all his air.
>And then he’d just hang out and relax in the deep blue. Floating, meditating, grooving.
>He found it really calming.
>One day he looked down and saw what he thought was a tiny fish.
>Then he realized it was a tiger shark, way, way down.
>He slowly began to work his way back up the anchor line.
>Looking down all the time. The shark was swimming up, getting bigger and bigger.
>He kept up his steady ascent, not wanting to cause ripples that would attract the shark.
>There’s a nerve along their sides that picks up underwater vibrations.
>He kept looking down as he climbed the line. >He was almost to the boat.
>The shark quickly swam up, and put its nose right at the EXACT spot on the line where he had been, 60 feet below.
>The shark had homed in on the motion, maybe the bubbles he made when he was hanging out at 60 feet.
>He grabbed the gunwale of the Whaler and pulled himself in, even though he was still wearing a tank and a weight belt.
>He never talked much about going out there and doing the same thing again.
>But I’m sure he did. He was a nice guy but crazy for sure.
>>
File: deeps.jpg (16KB, 288x191px) Image search: [Google]
deeps.jpg
16KB, 288x191px
>>18105338
Pic related, sort of....
>>
>>18104740
You can dowse my rod
>>
I am a Certified Yacht Master and I used to deliver boats up and down the south African coastline.

> Be on a delivery with this old skipper I know
> Be morning shift from 1:00 to 4:00
> Tired as fuck and it's pitch black out, was a really nice night since no clouds, ice cold and no wind so we were using the motor to chugg along
> Get up to stretch my legs and have a walk around the boat to check if everything is in order (always do this)
> Got to the top point of the boat and looked over the ocean that was almost glass like and took a long gaze at the sky.
> Fucking massive splash not close but close enough to hear it and scare the shot out of me
> Shine my torch at the origin of splash after shutting a brick and breath out slowly assuming it was a whale or some kind of sea creature
> blackish object I couldn't really make out the size or whatever shoot up out the ocean into the sky reletively close to me, Naturally I scream and fall on my ass not taking my off this thing.
> Weird kind of what I would describe as a vibration coursing through the air followed by a strange ringing and then it zipped away into the darkness where my eyes couldn't follow.
> Proceed to spend rest of my shift chain smoking my ciggs contemplating what the fuck I had just witnessed.
>>
>>18102760
That gave me serious fucking chills.
>>
>>18106647

Also one more.

I sincerely apologise for any spelling mistakes.

Same year, Different boat, Different crew, Different heading.

> Night shift with Thinus (This Big Afrikaaans Surfer who was my first mate at the time)
>I was at the helm
> Weather was shit, Clear night soy but it was rather windy and the ocean was choppy.
> In the distance two lights red in colour and very bright shot up past the horizon raced towards us and then hovered high above us in the space of 5 seconds while I watched
> I opened my mouth to swear in both amazement and fear when the lights zipped a distance away into the sky and then stopped again, At this point I though I was going mad so I asked Thinus of he could see what he was looking at.
> Point out the two red lights and say "Nou Kyk daar" (Afrikaaans for now look there)
> A very long time passes while he watches and the red lights don't move, Just as I though he was going to look away and call me a dumbass the Fucking things zip from left to right 180 degrees at least from where we originally was so I had to cran my neck behind me and then the zipped back to in front of us again
> they then got very very bright almost lighting the whole sky and then with no sound or anything they zipped up into the sky until they vanished from our sight.
> We were quiet for a long time and he never talked about it again and shied away from the subject when ever I brought it up later.

>
>>
>>18106707
Maybe it's part of an Afrikaans legend or something and that's why he doesn't want to talk about it.
>>
>>18106733

I am Afrikaaans as well and Thinus did not believe in 'Silly things' I highly doubt he would believe legends and stuff.
>>
>>18106759
Afrikaner here. I've seen zippy lights in the night sky as well man.
>>
File: dive_2 142.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
dive_2 142.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
Not really very spoopy but I'll contribute a small something

>recreational diving off Zanzibar
>yes very nice actually, thanks for asking
>checking out a reef full of massive potato groupers
>suddenly a wild remora
>cute little fella, starts trying to attach himself to My wetsuit
>don't really want him stuck to me
>start to kick at him a bit with my flippers
>dive buddy laughing at me through his regulator as I flail about a bit
>see a shadow flip past right at the edge of my vis, something pretty big
>suddenly remember remora don't really travel alone
>they usually attach themselves to bigger things, things that are attracted to wounded things
>things that are flailing the water
>like me
>shadow flicks back
>divebuddy sees it and nopes up about 15m with no deco, and he's one cautious mofo
>That's it, nobody got et, but we may have both set a record for jumping up the side of a dhow with full tanks and fins.

Probably just a friendly turtle, but definitely the spookiest thing that's happened to me underwater. Never felt more aware that it's really not my environment and how powerless I am there. And I've been unconscious underwater which is no picnic. But it's a doodle compared to hungry sharks who might gobble you up.
>>
File: 1435322535781.jpg (34KB, 376x302px) Image search: [Google]
1435322535781.jpg
34KB, 376x302px
bumperino, nice stories in here
>>
Not really related but does anyone know the name of that book about researchers who go to the Arctic (I think) and end up being hunted by this creature that's like a polar bear buy has a really long neck. There's also a mute girl from a tribe involved.
>>
>>18105338
Damn, that would definitely put me on edge. Fuck sharks. They're cool, but nope.

>>18102756
That's weird, but >>18102760
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I think I missed it..?

>>18106647
>>18106707
Government or alien craft? Weird as hell, I'd shit myself.

>>18106843
Yeah, definitely a jumpy situation haha
>>
Alright guys this is one of the wierdest things that has happened to me in a while, so glad to share

>Sleeping over my friend D's house
>We decide to go for a walk at about 1am
>Walking around, decide to walk by the reservoir
>We get to the reservoir, start looking out at its beauty
>I notice a HUGE pale figure swimming 50 feet away from us
>I did not believe my eyes, so I waited for D to say something
>He turns to me and goes "Dude what the fuck is that??"
>I say "D, what does that look like to you...?"
>He says it looks like an alligator, same thing I was thinking
>We watch it swim in a circle for a while then swim away

It was at least 8 feet long and pale white. We both remember it vividly. This is in Nashua, NH... There is nothing that size thats indigenous. Now I'm even more terrified and interested in the ocean/lakes,
>>
>>18107506
That's creepy as hell. Definitely no native gators in NH... maybe an albino alligator, or some cryptid
>>
>>18107450
The Terror, by Dan Simmons
>>
>>18108075
Thanks so much senpai
>>
>>18107463
The creepy part is in diver dude first story he was saved by someone/something with bright blue eyes. The lights were like the eyes etc etc.
>>
Diver anon here, im glad to see that this thread is picking up.
>>
>Be 7 or 8
>Go on whale watching tour with family in Cape May NJ
>On crowded, tiny ass little boat
>Ocean is choppy as fuck
>Person steering the boat decides it would be a great idea to go alongside the ferry that takes people from Delaware to NJ
>Boat almost capsizes due to getting caught in the wake of the ferry
Been deathly afraid of being on the open ocean ever since
>>
I got two

>be me, around 11
>get invited to a friend's uncles house
>on the shore of a lake, they go swimming all the time
>i live in the middle of town, barely leave house unless with friend (was only one)
>obviously agree
>get there, eat food, we go swimming
>cold water, hot day, aww yisss
>spend loads of time in there
>all the while some vines/seaweed things tangling my feet & legs
>easy to kick off, so i ignore it
>spend the most time in the water and take the least amount of breaks (I really fucking love water)
>get too tired and actually get stuck on the vines
>call over my friend, tell him i'm stuck on something
>confused look, but pulls me a little bit
>feel the vine get tense, then snap and fall back into the water
>say thanks, go to shore to get a drink

>later on
>friend asks what i was even stuck on
>tell him the vines
>confused look again
>'what vines?'
>'explain to him what happened
>we go out where i was, put on goggles and look undewater (this was actually really stupid, the water was probably murky and dirty as shit)
>lake seemed about 50 or so feet deep
>no plants anywhere
>im a little spooked, friend thinks it was probably just some plants or some kinda wire from the river that flowed in, they get random trash and stuff like that all the time through there
>agree that that makes sense
I didn't remember/think about until later that if it was just some floating stuff or plants or whatever, then how did I get stuck on it, and why did it have to snap to move away from?
Idk though.

I got another one from the same lake, continue?
>>
>>18108652
I structured this a little dumbly, I should say that that was just one story, I shouldn't have put the line break in.
>>
>>18108376
Oh, damn, yeah. That is spooky. I misread it as "part" not "post", thanks anon.
>>
>>18108506
kek
>>
>>18108652
What state do you live in?
>>
>>18108669
Illinois, why do you ask?
>>
>>18108652
Weird, definitely alarming when you get caught like that. Second story?
>>
>>18108677

>few months later
>get invited again
>by this time, me and the friend were drifting apart (which ultimately happened, we don't talk anymore), almost say no
>being my only friend, my mom convinces me to go to "reconnect"
>ultimately agree
>goes pretty much the same as last time (minus grabby things, thankfully)
>day ends, we head back up to the house
>all fall asleep
>end up making up startled, like when you hear a loud noise
>try to listen, there's nothing
>lay back down
>can't sleep now, just don't feel tired
>no clocks to tell the time
>didn't bring anything to do
>was gonna wake friend up too, decided to just let him sleep
>decide to go swimming for a bit, it wasn't far
>walk right up to the water
>suddenly feel really nauseous all of the sudden then it's gone, like when you stand up too fast
>start walking back to house, probably ate something bad
>then there was smell
>like a weird mixture of tobacco and sweat
>assume some deer or something died
>notice that it's still there when I get to the door, and that i'm trailing something
>feel really stupid, assume i stepped in shit
>wasn't wearing shoes, go to clean it off in the water
>smell gets worse
>finally realize the water WAS the smell
>crouch down, rub hand in water
> feels thick & sleek, like oil
>noticeable film of it on top of the water
>sticks to hand aswell
>still smells
>can't do anything in the dark, but i get a bucket for sand (what are they even called? sand castle buckets?)
>scoop up water & drainoff the oil and use it to clean myself
>get an idea
>scoop up black stuff, place it away from house
>go back to sleep, plan to ask his uncle in the morning since he had lived there for years
>wake up at time to leave, they let me sleep in
>almost leave, remember the bucket and everything
Part 1/2, didn't pretype
Sorry if it sounds kinda far fetchted, but it's all true
>>
File: the lake thing map.png (23KB, 1184x651px) Image search: [Google]
the lake thing map.png
23KB, 1184x651px
>>18108767
Part 2/2
>go to get bucket
>been knocked over (from some animal or something i guess)
>some dead bugs around, probably attracted by smell (which i think was mostly gone at that point, or i just didn't recall it being there)
>only about an inch of it left inside
>bring it to his uncle and ask while we were loading stuff into the car
>doesn't say anything about it really, but tells me he doesn't know i should just pour it out
>at this point, i didn't really care about it, just wanted to go home
>try to pour it out on the ground
>he practically yells at me to stop, grabs the bucket and walks over to the water
>empties it and drops the bucket
>comes back and keeps packing like nothing happened
>little weirded out, don't bring it up again
>go home
>never invited back to see anything else weird
That's it really. Maybe it's less exciting or weird than I thought, but I just can't help but think it's a little strange, I guess.
Anyone have any idea though, if it was something, of what (either of them) could have been?
Might have been more stuff from the river, but I don't get how it could just flow in that much and not be an issue with the fish or even the plants and trees that DO live around there.

Never did get that bucket back btw.
>>
>>18099663
>By the time we got back .. ship was gone.
then who was phone?
>>
bump for more stories
>>
>>18099567
>Can't tell you hurr durr because reasons
>Anonymous message board

The way you people lie is astonishing
>>
I got one.
>Couple of years back my friend Steve sailed with his father down the Pacific coast of Mexico.
>It was enough to convince himself that he was another Joshua Slocum (q. vid.)
>A summer later back in Florida he became part owner of a 23-foot sloop.
>At his job he had to lay off a man (let’s call him Jonah) and felt bad about it.
>He invited Jonah over for a drink just to show there are no hard feelings.
>After a few drinks, although it was late, Steve says, “Let’s go for a sail!”
>Somewhere, about 3 miles out, the boat slows down.
>A line from a lobster trap had wrapped around the rudder.
>Steve wraps another line around his waist and dives into the murky water to unwrap the trap line.
>Just as he got the trap line off, he feels the “safety line” also slip away, and the boat shoots forward.
>He shouted to Jonah to head the boat into the wind to stop it.
>Who know how humans will act in times of emergency?
>Some stay cool and act without thinking. Others freeze up like a deer in the headlights.
>Jonah froze up and the boat sailed off into the night.
Oh God, Thy sea is so great and my ship is so small! --Anon.
>It’s safe to say that there was a lot of shouting and cursing.
>As the vague outline of the sails moved away in the darkness, Steve thought he could hear the words “I don’t know how! I don’t know how!”
>>
File: stevesboat.jpg (29KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
stevesboat.jpg
29KB, 240x320px
>>18110547

Next part—
>The boat is now completely out of sight.
>Can Jonah be so inept (he did have to be laid off after all) that he didn’t think to move the tiller one way or the other?
>Or was it more to do with the darker recesses of the human heart?
>Was some sort of retributive justice the source of this most grievous omission?
>Steve now faces a dilemma—to swim after the disappearing sailboat, thereby depleting his already waning energy?
>Or to make for shore in the blackness of the waves.
>He could just make out the intermittent flash of a distant beacon at Key West International Airport.
>He decides to swim for shore.
>The occasional splash of a large fish or a breaking wave made him even more of his predicament.
>” Maybe it’s just a school of tarpon” he thinks.
>” But then aren’t they followed by hammerheads? Especially at night…”
>Somewhere during his three-hour swim, exhausted, he takes off his shorts in an attempt to ease his drag through the water.
>They fall to the bottom.
More to come...
>>
>>18110683
>At dawn he drags himself up on the beach, naked like a castaway in a movie.
>Down the beach a startled swimmer offers him a small towel.
>Steve hobbles to a seawall to rest and to figure out his next move.
>But a passing police car screeches to a halt.
>Someone had seen him come out of the water, maybe the swimmer, and called the cops.
>Steve tries to explain. The cop puts the cuffs on him and puts him in the car.
>” Plenty of cases like this. They get drunk, and end up on the beach buck naked in the morning.”
>On the way to the jail, the cop calls into dispatch.
>” Yeah, there was a report of a man overboard.”
>The Coast Guard still had a boat and helicopter out searching.
>This starts an exchange of phone calls.
>The cop dropped Steve near his house.
>Somehow he got back out to the boat.
>Jonah was still on board.
>Apparently after a while he had found Steve’s cell phone on board.
>He used it to call his girlfriend(!) and told he what happened.
>Turns out she had brains and called 911 to report the incident.
>Jonah took a bus back to Iowa the next day and was never heard from again.
>>
>>18105175
>Your grandfather knew where the pipe was before showing you his trick
>>
>>18099426
Not particularly interesting, but I have a cottage on a lake and there is this massive rock that looks like a turtle, maybe 14 feet wide. There are no other large rocks visible in the lake (even in the shallows) and it's in a section of the lake that should be around 10 feet deep. Weirdest part is that there are bubbles that sometimes come up from where the head should be. We show it off to people sometimes as an interesting oddity, but I seriously do wonder how it got there or if we have some sort of sleeping prehistoric turtle in our lake.
>>
diver anon here. Enjoying the stories. Ill drop one more.

>Be headed to job
>sea is pretty calm
>chilling on the deck enjoying a cigar with some of the crew
>All of our radios start to go bananas
>We turn em off, still making noises
>Cap bangs on window and looks at us and waves hand.
>We wave back
>it appears he is having the same issues
>He steps outside and asks, "you guys getting this"
>we got yea showing him our radios.
>Sounds like low beeps a bunch of fuzz but the crazy part is everyone hearing talking in the back.
>Its not English.
>We head to bridge
>All the radio equipment is going bonkers
>lights are flickering on and off.
>radar is showing so many readings that the entire screen is covered.
>everything goes dark.
>Radios cut
>its pitch black now
>ship starts to rumble
>huge white light from outside window accompanied by a loud bang and a whoosh
>lights turn back on, radios are normal as is the rest of the equipment.

at first I thought it was some kind of ship failure , then lightening or some sorta nature but shit...nobody really had any clue. We eventually went to port to get it looked at but they said everything was fine. Even the engineer was at a loss, he spend 12 hours going at the ship with a magnifying glass and concluded that everything was In working order.
>>
>>18108652
You know what I immediately thought of? Hair. Long flowing corpse hair.
>>
File: bleb.jpg (17KB, 301x326px) Image search: [Google]
bleb.jpg
17KB, 301x326px
>>18111166
Oh, that sure is reassuring
>>
>tfw I recorded footage of a cryptid in the waters of a North Carolina beach in 2001
>a large orange mass that kept floating and submerging into the water
To this day I have no idea what it was but I need to find a way to transfer it from VHS to digital so I can upload it.
>>
>>18111826
Could you just (for now) record it with a phone and upload it to youtube to at least show us?
>>
>>18111832
This. It's OK if it's shit quality for now, I'd like to at least get an idea. Sounds pretty cool.
>>
File: 1471021142294.jpg (15KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1471021142294.jpg
15KB, 200x200px
>be me
>be 13 some number of years ago
>be snorkeling off of cape cod on my friends boat
>having a jolly good time
>70 foot finback whale (currently the second largest animal on earth, after the blue whale which it is a close relative of) pulls up RIGHT FUCKING NEXT TO ME
>piss myself and scream bloody murder back to the boat
>whale makes weird super loud "chirping noise"
>what the fuck.jpg
>>
>>18107764

Sturgeon? Those can reach 12ft or more.
>>
>>18108582
Underrated
>>
>>18113433
Good'n
>>
File: lionfish.jpg (2MB, 3321x2491px) Image search: [Google]
lionfish.jpg
2MB, 3321x2491px
>>18099426
>be me, age 12ish
>on vacation in Cuba with parents and uncle
>decide to go to a secluded empty beach to go snorkelling
>as we're swimming we see this beautiful fish
>we get really close to it and i notice it's a lionfish
>remember that lionfish are highly toxic causing nausea, headaches, extreme pain, and sometimes death
>my uncle and dad want to go and literally touch the spines
>i swim away from it as my family tries to pull me to touch it
>manage to convince them to stop getting closer to it
>they joke about it and say that i was being a pussy and should have touched it

It's not like I likely saved their lives or anything, but I probably saved them a lot of suffering.
>>
File: finish the job.png (98KB, 1149x729px) Image search: [Google]
finish the job.png
98KB, 1149x729px
Always a fun one. apologies for fucked screencap
>>
Bibbitty bamp for more stories
>>
>>18115011
I think the saddest part about this story is that forgot the birthday boy
>>
File: 1243908.gif (484KB, 500x278px) Image search: [Google]
1243908.gif
484KB, 500x278px
>>
>>18099504
why did you leave you down there alone? From what I remember of diving that's a big no no
>>
>>18104179
>>
>>18110526
He probably works for a treasure salvage company. When 96m is on the line they really can't disclose their locations.
>>
>>18110937
Pics

>>18114994
Your family was asking for a Darwin Award. 12 year old you was smarter than them. Dwell on that for a while.
>>
>>18110937
Have you tried poking it with a stick?
>>
File: mmhmm.gif (637KB, 400x560px) Image search: [Google]
mmhmm.gif
637KB, 400x560px
>>18121774
>>
>>18110937
There's a spring underneath it, you dipshit. Or some slowly disintegrating/collapsing limestone. It is most certainly not a "sleeping prehistoric turtle in your lake," you dolt.
>>
>>18113437
This is a really good guess
>>
>>18099426
Warning- Not Paranormal at all- just interesting

I work with a guy doing carpentry stuff, I`m a young guy and he`s an old guy. I`m fishing buddies with him so we are tight, I`ve also worked on the road with him so we trust each other. In his younger years- he`s born and raised Canadian like me- he went to the west coast and got all his diving tickets. He went south past Cuba and lived the life we all dream of. Anyway, he`s seen a lot of wild oceanic shit. One thing he never saw with his own eyes was a whale shark, though. He ran a tourist diving company down there for years, and he knew all the guys who did around him. He said, in ten years of tour diving, he came close to seeing a whale shark in the flesh two times. And he missed it. Now just imagine how life-changing it would be to see a whale shark in the water with you, something we know exists.. Now imagine you are in the water with something massive, something we don`t know exists..
>>
>>18121900
Yeah, no response.

>>18122662
I'm kind of joking you know, I don't really think it's a turtle, it just looks eerily like one.
>>
>>18121805
I'll try and get some pics next time I'm there.
>>
>>18121215
Because the story is bullshit like everything on /x/.
>>
>>18105175
It makes me lose faith in human race that people still believes in downsing. You know why it is called dowsing? Because you have to have downsyndrome to believe it.
>>
Does anyone have any more ship / boat stories? Love those.
>>
>Be Commerical Diver
>Walking around ship
>Swimming at dusk
>w8ing for owners m8 to run some out
>Earlier that morning he had tipped over his Hobie Cat and lost his new state-of-the-art bifocals in the water.
>Remember our preacher said this is some kind of necromancy, therefore bad.
>And found it relaxing to go out to the Gulf Stream in his small Boston Whaler by himself.
> blackish object I couldn't really make out the size or whatever shoot up out the ocean into the sky reletively close to me, Naturally I scream and fall on my ass not taking my off this thing.
> We were quiet for a long time and he never talked about it again and shied away from the subject when ever I brought it up later.
>suddenly remember remora don't really travel alone
>We watch it swim in a circle for a while then swim away
>Boat almost capsizes due to getting caught in the wake of the ferry
>cold water, hot day, aww yisss
>all fall asleep
>he practically yells at me to stop, grabs the bucket and walks over to the water
>Just as he got the trap line off, he feels the “safety line” also slip away, and the boat shoots forward.
>” But then aren’t they followed by hammerheads? Especially at night…”
>The cop dropped Steve near his house.
>We head to bridge
>what the fuck.jpg
>manage to convince them to stop getting closer to it
>>
>>18129065
KEK
>>
>>18129065
Quit shitting these out in every thread, you're not clever.
>>
i am so scared of the sea. Just looking at the pictures of whales and tall waves make me shiver. Is this normal or should I seek professional help?
>>
>>18130143
Anyone?
>>
>>18110547
>>18110683
>>18110686
Cool this kinda reads like an old EC comic, like Shock Suspense Stories or something.
>>
>>18130143
>>18130158
You are a pussy
>>
mines not too spooky. any divers out there ever get that primal feeling your being stalked?

>be college student
>invited to go spearing with family friends in the bahamas on their big ole boat.
>spend first day after boating from florida talking to the locals
>looking for the monster hogs(fish)
>end up talking to some ole fisherman missing a bunch of fingers supposedly from a bullshark
>says its mating season so theyre more aggressive than usual
>shiieet im ancy, never been spearing before
>next morning we boat out to first spot
>fucking 30 miles offshore
>its a sunken freighter, water was 30-50ft??
>herewego.jpg
>im the last to get in the water, and already a lil behind the other 5 with us

they were all experienced divers and didnt have much trouble in nabbing fish. i kinda stayed out of the way since id never done shit like this before. watched em spear some shit and swimming em back to the boat which was cool, but due to the current and our boat being anchored, we all were pretty spread out. i really think we stayed too long in the same spot. fuck man im ranting

>i ended up being way to far from everyone else/boat
>swear i see something fucking huge but figure im paranoid
>start to get this really fuckin bad, gut feeling, say fuck it and head to the boat
>whole time i feel like im being watched or some shit
we made it back and of course it wasnt til after that i learned about the 12 ft bullshark that hangs around there. i was kinda pissed to cuz a god damn newb 100 ft from another diver at one point, and didnt know wtf i was doing. still had fun tho

sry i am bad writer
>>
>>18130158
Here.
>>18130393
>>
>>18099426
>diving helium mix over the void probably 4 grand deep, hanging out on long line (shark bait dive) md was 160 no deco incur.
>buddy signal for ascent, ok.
>looking down, wow, feeling pretty good, euphoric, ppO2 is good though (no symptoms of 02tox, hypox, or hypcap)
>it's so dark blue, and very quiet, sun is starting to set, i don't want to go up (i hate diving btw).
>signal buddy, tap his fin. Plug in brick. "Hey man I need a minute", "whut". Unplug brick. Slow wave.
>so quiet until I see the dark blue, starts to sound like wind through pine needles (I have had tinnitus before and after this dive, it's always ringing. never this crystal clear wind through pine needles sound). I want to be there.
>I can see the dark blue now like a lensatic horizon.
>sit in water column, part of me wants to never move again, part of me wants to scream.
>feels like forever probably 30 seconds, inner voice decided on middle ground, "good bye".
>The wind sound is gone in a flash.
>Head back to buddy, plug in ots, "anon, wtf", "had to piss" (lie), even with depth change, still no deco incur.
>later I hear about space dementia. Hear its fake though. Possible physiological or neurological changes causes symptoms.
>I track all my dive shit explicitly. Don't want holes in bones.
>excellent health.
>talk to an sme on the side, confirms pine needles sound. Concerned.jpg.
>decide on lar v only dives
>>
>>18099663
How come the radar didn't pick it up, being 100-200 foot? It picks up small wooden vessels and yachts typical at a distance of 5 nm. Talking from experience, naval officer here.
>>
>>18099567
>>18099504
Confirmed fake story only a lying teenager would think anyone cares about what's posted on this board
>>
>>18102756
Reminds me a lot of something that happened to me when I was younger. Might start a thread later to discuss this using your green text so keep an eye out.
>be me
>19
>upper peninsula Michigan
>walking through some random really dense woods with my friends circa 2010
>normal routine was to just walk off the trail around 3pm and make sure we were back on the trail by sun down
>get lost one time trying to find the trail
>sun sets
>dark as FUCK
>trying to use our phones for light, way out of service range
>getting desperate
>see two lights moving alongside us, one blue orb and one red orb
>first thought is paranormal, these lights just look fucking weird
>call out to them
>"hey! We're lost! If you can point us back to the trail that'd be great!"
>lights stop moving alongside us and start moving back the way we came
>"HELLOOO!"
>still no response
>friends don't want to follow the lights
>"if you guys seriously think those lights were super natural you're naive as fuck, it had to be people"
>peer pressure my friends into going the direction the lights went off in, at this point we couldn't see them anymore
>an hour of hiking later we pop out of the woods maybe 30 meters from where we parked

Even though I made the statement about it definitely not being super natural something felt really weird about that night. Never really talked about the lights with them again, I think we were all just grateful we got out of there. We never really told anyone about it and we've literally never gone back.
>>
>>18118796
>>18115011
I know. That's completely fucked up.
>>
From one of the dive instructors where I did my course;

>be diving large wreck
>don't know specifics other than North Sea, typically low visibility
>exploring inside of large wreck
>entered through hole in the hull, follow safety line with buddy following
>through first room, into second room, there are corridors off of this room (at weird angles, ship is on its side) but safety line ends here meaning its unsafe to go further
>time to go out and explore another entrance
>buddy turns around first and starts to swim off following safety line
>buddy kicks up silt ahead of me
>pea soup
>0 visibility
>panic
>lose safety line
>panic more
>can't find safety line
>ultimate panic
>try to guess way out
>swim in wrong direction
>lost
>can't see
>guess this is it then
>time to die lost in a shipwreck
>gradually calm down and begin to accept death
>'sit' down
>turn off torch
>awaiting death in the blackness
>life wasted, opportunities missed
>5-10 mournful minutes pass,
>...
>eyes are adjusted to dark
>silt beginning to settle
>begin to make slight glimmer of light
>not dying today motherfuckers
>swim toward light
>fucking salvation
>praise Poseidon
>>
File: t3_4v7n7b.jpg (69KB, 634x597px) Image search: [Google]
t3_4v7n7b.jpg
69KB, 634x597px
>>
>>18099567
Damn, you almost had me.
>>
>>18121215
>>18121215
Its definitely not unheard of. In this particular case we had some hotshot new hire that thought he worked hard enough that day as he was going to surface when he really should have been helping.
Thread posts: 131
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.