[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /x/, what makes gas masks one of the most terrifying things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

So /x/, what makes gas masks one of the most terrifying things a person can wear?
>>
>>18093067
Wrong, but close.
>Plague Doctor mask
>>
>>18093067
Not being able to see the face I suppose, also usually worn with dark or weird clothing to make it look creepier. Also the actual gas mask looks sick imo
>>
pretty sure it's the same reason people find clowns scary. We as a species rely on seeing a person's face in order to read them, both consciously and subconsciously. The mask hides the face making them an unknown, and humanity's biggest fear is the unknown.
>>
File: SCS_Guitar_Loner.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
SCS_Guitar_Loner.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>18093067
Gas masks are friendly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRRGYEFZF4A
>>
>>18093067
Asbestos and chromium in the filters
>>
Pretty sure it is because I own one.

I run a different kind of labratory, but mine is the same one as on the show "Breaking Bad"...
>>
File: 1469069864457.jpg (32KB, 288x339px) Image search: [Google]
1469069864457.jpg
32KB, 288x339px
Except they're not scary anymore - because they're so fucking cliche at this point.

>tfw when you own like 6 gas masks
>tfw when you will never need them
>tfw when you wasted money
>tfw when you might wear it once in 8 years but thats it

fuck
>>
>>18093129
this
>>
>>18093194
Ah nuu cheeki breeki
>>
It's because the lenses look like a predator with full-dilation crazy eyes focused on you. Dilated pupils and the appearance of focus on prey are terrifying to every animal except those with no predation. Not apex predators, animals who were never preyed on as a species.
>>
>>18093274
I think it's the opposite, the lenses are more unfocused, they're so large and dark that it's more all-encompassing so you can't tell whether they're focused on you.
>>
>>18093067
Masks are terrifying because they depersonalize whoever's wearing them.

That is to say they become more of a "creature" to the mind since they lack, misrepresent, or are otherwise entirely absent of most of the social cues we look for in nonverbal communication.
>>
>>18093279
Disagree. Total black eyes harkens insensate viciousness like a shark or a worked up mountain lion. Angle of eye is the difference between predator and prey; prey have wide set eyes for vigilance and predators have forward focus. To see both eyes aimed at you makes it creepy. Eye contact is a very powerful thing, as is where the eye is set on the horiz. Axis on the face.
>>
>>18093067
what the other anons said, but all that stuff attached to the mask distorts the silhoutte of the head into something mechanical, unorganic and alien
>>
>>18093067
what the other anons said, but all that stuff attached to the mask distorts the silhoutte of the head into something mechanical, unorganic and alien.

also the general association of the function of the gas mask. if you see someone wearing one around you, you can be sure there is a reason why you should also wear one.
>>
>>18093625
>>18093633
how the fuck did this happen
>>
File: walt.jpg (286KB, 1024x575px) Image search: [Google]
walt.jpg
286KB, 1024x575px
>>18093216
>tfw when
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.