[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trivium, Quadrivium, & Jacob's Ladder

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1471942626637.jpg (97KB, 580x714px) Image search: [Google]
1471942626637.jpg
97KB, 580x714px
posted this in /lit/ thought you lot could help out

What do you think about the trivium & the quadrivium?

what's the fundamental pattern of this set? why is the linguistic trivium and the mathematical quadrivium structured as they are? Is there a continuation of this set to experiment with a more advanced or unique off-branch system of education? can you structure other subjects that are not currently contained therein in a similar way based on the same higher principles?

I just find the elegance of this incredible - quanta & qualia organized in a simple 7. It seems like there is a very powerful lesson in why this was a cardinal knowledge structure in the ancient world, and I wanted to see how it could be expanded or refined for personal study on subjects beyond it's manifest scope.

>also any thoughts on what exactly is the deeper meaning or significance of the connection between the 7 liberal arts & the jacob's ladder esoteric teaching in kabbalah, masonry, & classical thought?
>>
>>18086786
>What do you think about the trivium & the quadrivium?
They should be part of the essential education again. They cover literally everything. That's why we have them in Masonry.
>>
>>18087014
Would you say that the meta-structure of all knowledge has already been mapped out?
>>
Any kabbalists, or hermeticists want to chime in?

Any perspective on this would be great, this is bugging me
>>
>>18087014
>They cover literally everything
LMAO
M
A
O
>>
>>18087211
do tell.

Look you see what I'm getting at right
There has to be a supersystem that really does organize "everything" or at the very least can absorb all other subjects into it because the geometry of the classifying system is somehow based on the structure of knowledge
>>
>>18087100
All knowledge? No. But it could be possible. The seven are all knowledge reduced to core components.

>>18087211
Well they do. Your shitposting doesn't change that.
>>
>>18087222
You seem to think an argument demonstrating such a supersystem necessarily exists would then imply that it is in fact this specific one. Where does, say, computational chemistry fit into this framework? Functional analysis?

Moreover, does the set of all knowledge contain itself?
Hence, is this set well-defined?

>the geometry of the classifying system is somehow based on the structure of knowledge
This is a tautology.
>>
>>18087303
>Where does, say, computational chemistry fit into this framework?
Arithmatic and geometry. Duh.
>>
>>18087314
Only it doesn't.
>>
>>18087321
>Chemistry doesn't have objects in space or time
You might want to go back to school to actually do some book-lernin', boy.
>>
>>18087303
I suppose it would contain itself from the perspective of its most simple vantage point by depending on its transcendental axiom of absolute complete unity, the crown of the system (classically, I think its theology)

I see how that could be a tautology, but what I mean is that there seems to be a universal structure of truth & knowledge, which you can glimpse by seeing the generative principles of all systems, and the nature of coherency (grammar), etc. -- and mapping that onto its own containing taxonomy. It's self reflective, but not paradoxically self referential
>>
>>18087337
>objects in space or time
Oho, so you actually meant it's a type of astronomy, then?
>>
>>18087368
In a sense. Astronomy is better for general physics (objects in both space and time). Arithmatic is obviously anything involving numbers. Geometry = objects in space, and Music = Objects in time.
From those we really can derive all the sciences. The Trivium is also able to encompass all the arts (though often requiring the addition of the sciences for full comprehension).
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.