[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any horror stories that involve people fighting back competently?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: 1 (7).jpg (61KB, 564x567px) Image search: [Google]
1 (7).jpg
61KB, 564x567px
Any horror stories that involve people fighting back competently?
>>
Basically the entirety of the comic book series Hellblazer.
>>
>involve people fighting back competently?
>horror

The thing is, I enjoy happy endings, the "good guys" winning, and "feel goods" as much as the next person.

But true horror (I feel) doesn't involve happy emotions, like "triumph".

Death, despair, loneliness, insanity, perversion, etc. etc.
>>
>>18079966
You should read Hellblazer. Amazing comic. Horror ELEMENTS are present throughout, but only some arcs are truly horror in the sense you're talking about. It shows the highs and lows of human experience, all without flinching, and is my favorite comic book series of all time. The main character even aged in real time over the 20+ years it ran.
>>
>>18079966
I guess you could call them thrillers then?
>>
>>18079924
I like when good guys fight back competently but the monsters/paranormal never really become pussies and could always take someone out next. I like that better.
>>
>>18079924
Real Life, for the most part.
>>
>>18079924

>horror
>fighting back

You're doing it wrong. You don't fight in horror. It just ends up as action schlock.

Horror means helplessness.
>>
>>18079966
Like Lovecraft stuff?
>>
I understand WHY people get angry at people in horror stories not acting "competently" but it bothers me that those people don't understand that it wouldn't make sense to be able to think rationally if you're scared out of your mind. Fear makes people do stupid things, and it seems impossible for some viewers to empathize with that fact.
>>
>>18080238
it's just odd that noone tries anything
>>
>>18080254
What do you mean?
>>
>>18080186
Actually, the horror genre is not only that but there are more elements like, being witness to something so horrifying that you cannot escape the fact that it happened, then there are other things that can influence it like fear of some unknown element that turns up not only you cannot fight against it (helplessness like you mentioned,)
but other aspects like the environment and cause of an incident (like a pandemonium or a catastrophe.) You can for example competently escape such horrifying things because horror is the fact that you're pretty scared, but then it becomes an action horror and you know how those tend to be cheesy in movies and other media.
>>
>>18080258
i mean that flight or fight clicks in and it always seems to be flight in horror stories
>>
>>18079924
Yeah. Anything that has the tag ´Survival Horror´ and ´Action Horror´.
>>
>>18080274
Amneisa: The Dark Descent is described as survival horror though and that protagonist is a pussy.
I don't care if it works, I just want the option to fight back.It's scarier to have something you can try to fight but it doesn't work than something you simply can't fight because the game says so.
>>
>>18080348
The first Penumbra has weapons, but they took it away on the later games. But you can still kill the monsters by throwing objects at them. Amnesia is made by the same people too. But you can see how clunky it was with the combat.
With weapon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EDgrK6Ozxk
Without weapon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq-1UUe15tM
>>
i would like a movie/creepypasta/book/smoke signals about a group of military vets who go out camping together once in a while who end up fighting a windigo or something more supernatural. I'd watch it. Even if its a Scifi original shitpiece.
>>
File: tim.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
tim.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>18080348
sounds like you were scared not being able to fight back
>>
File: dead_space_03.jpg (126KB, 680x431px) Image search: [Google]
dead_space_03.jpg
126KB, 680x431px
>>18080348
>>18080371
The main reason why I don't really like the no fighting thing is that it has to be replaced by hiding, and the thing with hiding/avoiding is that you never "run out" of it like you do with ammo. Something like Dead Space for example was scary for me because I had to always worry about having enough ammo and health to get through the next encounter. With hiding and running though you're always prepared to deal with the enemies, even if you don't have to fight them.
>>
>>18079924
horror stories that involve people fighting back competently aren't horror stories, you are thinking of urban fantasy probably, which normally involves fantasy monsters (vampires, werewolves, daemons, cathuluesk horrors) in the modern day and age, if this sounds like what you are looking for, I recommend the Dresden Files, which is in a mystery noir series set in urban fantasy, starts a little slow though
>>
>>18080409
Predator?
>>
File: slawomir_maniak_09.jpg (103KB, 680x450px) Image search: [Google]
slawomir_maniak_09.jpg
103KB, 680x450px
>>18080583
>horror stories that involve people fighting back competently aren't horror stories

Not at all, Lovecraft even has several stories where the protagonists manage to survive and defeat the threat. All of the monsters are killed off at the end of "The Lurking Fear," and the protagonist in "Call of Cthulhu" survives the events of the story and even temporarily destroys Cthulhu's body. Horror would be too predictable if the threat was always unbeatable.
>>
>>18080348
Silent Hill 2
>>
>>18079924
Not necessarily horror or competent, but the Kelly-Hopkinsville Encounter is always a goodie
>>
>>18080656
>temporarily destroys Cthulhu's body
couldn't we just nuke it till it was gone?
if so Cthulhu is boned
>>
>>18080223
Lovecraft did have a few examples of successful fighting back, like Call of Cthulhu and Dunwich Horror. It's just that all victories in his tales are hollow; temporary postponements of the inevitable, which actually adds to the horror in a way.
>>
Just like people are saying horror doesn't really have competent people fighting back but one movie that I like that is similar to that genre is You're Next. It's set up like a typical slasher film but the main girl can actually handle shit. It's not too scary but it's a pretty fun movie to watch.
>>
the thing 1982
>>
>>18079966

dubs namefaggot fuck off
>>
>>18079924
berserk... kind of?
>>
Day of the Triffids sort of ends with people getting their act together.
>>
>>18079966
Of course, there's the effective tactic of showing the protagonists winning, feeling triumph, and then snatching it away. The zombies get back up, or the monster they worked so hard to kill turns out to be just one of dozens.

>>18080186
It depends on the balance. You can fight back and still feel mostly helpless. Survival horror lets you shoot the zombies, but there are more zombies than you have bullets.

Nothing says "you're fucked" quite like an empty pistol.

>>18080371
I object when games don't let you do things that your character reasonably ought to be able to. It's bad design. I shouldn't be blocked by a barrier I can see over.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.