[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Florida School for Boys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: flo_3news0602_10828680_8col.jpg (47KB, 517x498px) Image search: [Google]
flo_3news0602_10828680_8col.jpg
47KB, 517x498px
Haven't seen a thread on /x/ about this place and I live near hear. Some dark shit went on there. They only closed the "school" down 5 years ago.

>The Florida School for Boys, also known as the Arthur G. Dozier School for Boys (AGDS), was a reform school operated by the state of Florida in the panhandle town of Marianna from January 1, 1900, to June 30, 2011.[1][2] For a time, it was the largest juvenile reform institution in the United States.[3] A second campus was opened in the town of Okeechobee in 1955. Throughout its 111-year history, the school gained a reputation for abuse, beatings, rapes, torture, and even murder of students by staff. Despite periodic investigations, changes of leadership, and promises to improve, the allegations of cruelty and abuse continued. Many of the allegations were confirmed by separate investigations by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement in 2010 and the Civil Rights Division of the United States Department of Justice in 2011.[4]
>>
>In 1903, an inspection reported that children at the school were commonly kept in leg irons.[5] A fire in a dormitory at the school in 1914 killed six inmates and two staff members.[6]

>A 13-year-old boy sent to the school in 1934 for "trespassing" died 38 days after arriving there.[7]

>In 1968, Florida Governor Claude Kirk said, after a visit to the school where he found overcrowding and poor conditions, that "somebody should have blown the whistle a long time ago."[8] At this time, the school housed 564 boys, some for offenses as minor as school truancy, running away from home, or "incorrigibility".[9] They ranged in age from ten to sixteen years old.[10] Officially, corporal punishment at the school was banned in August 1968.[11]
>>
>In 1982, an inspection revealed that boys at the school were "hogtied and kept in isolation for weeks at a time", and the ACLU filed a lawsuit over this and similar mistreatment. By this time, the school was housing 105 boys aged thirteen to twenty-one.[12][13] Lawsuits concerning the school led to federal control of Florida's juvenile justice system from 1987 onward.[14][15]

>In 1985, it emerged that young ex-inmates of the school, sentenced to jail terms for crimes committed while there, had subsequently been the victims of torture at the Jackson County jail.[16] The method of torture was for the prison guards to handcuff the teenagers and then hang them from the bars of their cells, sometimes for over an hour.[17] The guards stated that their superiors approved the practice and that it was routine.[18]

>In 1994, the school was placed under the management of the newly created Florida Department of Juvenile Justice, which operated the school until its closure in 2011.[1] By this time, the school had facilities to house 135 inmates, and many of the boys sent there had been convicted of rape or of committing "lewd acts on other children".[19]
>>
>In late 2009, the school failed its annual inspection. Amongst other problems, the inspection found that the school failed to deal properly with the large numbers of complaints from the boys held there, including allegations of continued mistreatment by the guards. State Representative Darryl Rouson said that the system was struggling to move on from a longstanding "culture of violence and abuse".[12]

>Following revelations from former inmates who had been incarcerated at the school in the 1950s and 1960s, who described themselves as "The White House Boys," the school was the subject of an extensive special report, For Their Own Good, published by the St. Petersburg Times in 2009.[22] Allegations focusing on the 1960s included claims that one room was used for whipping white boys and another for black boys. The whippings were carried out with a 3-foot-long belt made of leather and metal and were thorough enough that the recipients' underwear became embedded in their skin. One inmate said that the punishments were severe but justified; another claimed that he had seen a boy trapped in a running laundry dryer at the school and suspected the boy was killed.[23]

>One former inmate claimed that he was punished in the white house eleven times, receiving a total of over 250 lashes. Others alleged that they were whipped until they lost consciousness and that the punishments were made harsher for boys that cried.[8] Some former inmates also claimed that there was a "rape room" at the school where they were sexually abused.[24] The complainants said that some of the victims were as young as nine years old.[25]
>>
>The team used ground-penetrating radar and excavations to identify where bodies are buried. However, in order to determine if the cause of death was from injury, illness, or murder,[35] the bodies must be exhumed, which can be done only if a family member requests it.[34] By December 2012, the researchers indicated that there are at least 50 graves on the grounds and that a second cemetery is likely to exist.[7]

>Bones, teeth and artifacts from grave sites were sent to the University of North Texas Health Science Center for DNA testing. In January 2014, the University of South Florida announced that excavations have yielded remains of 55 bodies, almost twice the number official records say are there.[39][40]

Thoughts? Any old, creepy insane asylums, orphanages or reform schools near you? Institutions with lots of people no one cares about all in one place?
>>
>>18074887
Jesus any ghost sightings there?
Also have you been there before?
>I live in Florida so I'm interested in going now.
>>
File: 1470788805815.png (85KB, 388x218px) Image search: [Google]
1470788805815.png
85KB, 388x218px
Pretty neat. Never heard of it before but the type of thing I expect out of florida.
>>
>>18074933
>The Florida School for Boys
>gained a reputation for abuse, beatings, rapes, torture, and even murder of students by staff
>Many of the allegations were confirmed by separate investigations by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement in 2010 and the Civil Rights Division of the United States Department of Justice in 2011

>pretty neat
>>
>>18074920
Idk I've never actually seen it irl, I live about an hour away in Tallahasssee. Not sure how open to the public it is, i need to check out steet view near it when I get to a computer
>>
I live in panama city about 45 min away. Its not open to the public because its still being used as sort of a holding center. Theres still guards and staff there
>>
Thanks for posting OP, never heard of this place before

I don't have any similarly creepy places near me, but things like this (sanitariums, reform schools, nursing homes) scare the shit out of me
>>
>>18074872
>Many of the allegations were confirmed by separate investigations by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement in 2010 and the Civil Rights Division of the United States Department of Justice in 2011

>confirm allegations
>no further action taken
Why?
>>
This is actually a pretty common thing to happen in other countries, but I haven't heard of it happening here in the us before. Thanks for the story OP
>>
>>18074872
This still goes on, and the government pretty much turns a blind eye to it. Google Provo Canyon School (there's two; the one you want is the religious, private school) and Hezbollah House. There's also a growing trend of these 'schools' being moved offshore to avoid any potential future legal repercussions that may arise. The thing that most of these schools are not cheap, so it's essentially wealthier parents handing their children over to psychopaths to beat Jesus into them.
>>
Anyone else remember that juvenile hall that was shut down because of rape allegations and child abuse? I remember seeing a web page written by a former inmate that stated that they were forced to hike miles while carrying backpacks full of weights and other stuff.
>>
I remember reading about a historical female serial killer from like the Victorian era. Seems like she was Scottish or maybe Irish. She ran an orphanage, and is believed to have murdered hundreds, maybe we'll over a thousand infants and children. She convinced poor women to sell her their babies, promising to place them in wealthy homes. Seems like she was caught disposing of corpses in the Thames, and she was hanged for it, along with some accomplices. This sound familiar to anyone? I can't remember her name, or much detail about it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.