[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anybody have a Revelation concerning the Gospel of Thomas?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (82KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 640x480px
Does anybody have a Revelation concerning the Gospel of Thomas?
>>
Read the apocryphon of John and have your life changed

It's from the Nag Hamadi library. They're texts found to have been written around 100AD and they catalog things from disciples that were never in the Bible. They talk about the true origin and purpose of the universe.
>>
If someone talks about a gnostic text and acts like it mentions secret information that wasn't allowed to be in the Bible, or that the text has more truth than what's in the canonical gospels I can tell right away they don't know about the history of gnosticism or what the gnostic gospels actually were.

Basically, gnosticism started when people started applying esoteric Hellenistic philosophy to Christianity. They ended up believing some very different things from mainstream Christians (like that the Bible describes two gods and the old testament one is evil, or that the material world is an evil creation meant to trick us and make us suffer) and started writing gospels to back up their claims. These always take the form of special knowledge revealed from Jesus to a certain person. The community that used the text could then point to the book and say that they has the right information and that everyone else just didn't know about this secret information. It's basically just an ancient version of trying to legitimize fanfiction.
>>
>>18054567
The gospel of Thomas never ceases to amaze even after having read it a bunch of times. Every time I read it I see something new, be it a parallel with some hermetic writing, Neoplatonism, Kabbalah! Buddhism, yoga, the tantras, the Upanishads... I don't feel like sharing it with /x/ though, I'm been disappointed before. It's a waste of energy to actually type something well researched and the next thing there comes a pothead spouting nonsense, and your post is lost in a pool of uninformed opinions, half-assed guesswork and unfunny meme answers. Nothing personal, but the level of this board is too low. Peace.
>>
>>18055008
ur mom is too low
>>
>>18054567
It's Biblical fan-fiction like the rest of the Pseudepigrapha, it just doesn't go full retard.
>>
Book of Enoch anyone?
>>
>>18058511
What about it? I've read it. I don't see why people consider it any less canon than the other books.
>>
>>18055008
I feel the same way, pearls before swine. Somethimes only one person takes what you say seriously and then asks a question that proves that they missed the entire point of your post.
>>
Any revelation must come to you otherwise it is useless.
>>
>>18055005
It's such a shame that your entire argument falls apart when you find out that gnosticism predates Christianity.
>>
jesus was kind of a douche at young age
>>
>>18060250
When did it start?
>>
>>18060797
Probably around 2-300bc. It came out of Judaism and Hellenism. It was distinctly different that christian gnosticism but it still revolved around obtaining gnosis. The Mandaeans are supposedly pre-christian, for example.
>>
>>18060278
Not on purpose. He has some accidents.
>>
>>18060852
So there is Gnosticism and Christian Gnosticism?
>>
>>18060920
I'm actually not 100% sure if pre-christian gnosticism can be called "gnosticism" proper, but the similarities and overlaps are enough for many to answer your question with "yes".
>>
>>18060953
Should they be called Gnostics, or would they be more accurately named, "those who found psilocybin first"?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.