[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just purchased the φιλοkαλία

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
I just purchased the φιλοkαλία
>>
File: image.jpg (889KB, 1530x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
889KB, 1530x2048px
This is the first complete English translation (in history), only translated from the Greek into other languages like Russian
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
So this book is one of the most influential books in Orthodox Christendom, the only more influential book being the Bible
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1530x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1530x2048px
It is a collection of spiritual writings throughout history by the monks of Mt. Athos, much in the same way that the New Testament is a collection of spiritual writings by the original Councils of the Church
>>
Anons this is an update I just want to say that I think that these are indeed spiritual texts And that there is definitely something "Jesus" going on with them while I read them
>>
Cool, what's it saying?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Pretty good read for anyone...imo
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1530x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1530x2048px
>>
File: 1471427110602.png (209KB, 500x903px) Image search: [Google]
1471427110602.png
209KB, 500x903px
>>18044748
good for creating a jeesus tulpa> Mine walks around with a crown of thorns stuck in his head, wailing "Avenge me!" wtf, jeses, this t
>>
File: joseph the hesychast.jpg (19KB, 298x400px) Image search: [Google]
joseph the hesychast.jpg
19KB, 298x400px
I also purchased that same copy at a book store.
>>
>>18044748

Are these based on scripture, or are they a unique branch of Christianity?

When were they written?
>>
>>18047854
>Are these based on scripture, or are they a unique branch of Christianity?
They are just spiritual sayings and advice created by monks to help people that want to fight their sins and vices.
>When were they written?
In the 200's and 300's.
>>
>>18047854
>>18047864
Examples:
"Somebody asked Anthony, 'What shall I do in order to please God?' He replied, 'Do what I tell you, which is this: wherever you go, keep God in mind; whatever you do, follow the example of Holy Scripture; wherever you are, stay there and do not move away in a hurry. If you keep to these guide-lines, you will be saved.'"
"He (Evagrius) also said, 'A monk was told that his father had died. He said to the messenger, 'Do not blaspheme. My Father cannot die.'"
Abbot Pastor, "If someone does evil to you, you should do good to him, so that by your good work you may drive out his malice."
An Elder, "A man who keeps death before his eyes will at all times overcome his cowardliness."
Blessed Macarius said, "This is the truth, if a monk regards contempt as praise, poverty as riches, and hunger as a feast, he will never die."
"It happened that as Abba Arsenius was sitting in his cell that he was harassed by demons. His servants, on their return, stood outside his cell and heard him praying to God in these words, 'O God, do not leave me. I have done nothing good in your sight, but according to your goodness, let me now make a beginning of good.'"
>>
>>18047873

Sounds kind of like the Zen tradition of stories and saying of monks throughout the ages.

Excellent, anon. I am glad you raise yourself up this standard of learning.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.