[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meditation techniques

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: images (1).jpg (2KB, 77x90px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
2KB, 77x90px
I'm getting sick of sitting there trying to focus on my breathing, I just get lost in my thoughts and urge to move, anybody know any other effective ways to meditate? I primarily want to get rid of my anxiety and destroy my ego.
>>
>>18043686
>I primarily want to get rid of my anxiety and destroy my ego.

I found your problem.
>>
>>18043702
Is it having a goal?
>>
File: 8783647_orig.jpg (102KB, 961x720px) Image search: [Google]
8783647_orig.jpg
102KB, 961x720px
>>18043718
The Buddha devoted his life to teaching others about the peace and comfort he felt, even though they were consistently rude and oppressive towards him

Now why do you think he did that?

>inb4 youre too busy trying to do nothing to respond to my post with a rational thought
>>
>>18043686
Before you can progress any further you must first learn to quiet your mind
>>
>>18043739
Because he didn't care how they acted? I'm sorry for the dumb answer, it's a hard question to answer.
>>
>>18043686
candle meditation (stare at a candle)
sound meditation (hold that internal noise that resembles tinnitus in mind)
chakra and truck tons of kundalini meditations (like silver cord, awakening the base etc.)

>destroy my ego
why? that's like the shittiest of the reasons to meditate - remember focus and meditation are like a circle whatever you put as the goal to move towards (or if you're retarded whatever you're trying to run away) you'll return to it

so if you're sitting and meditating on ego-death, you'll go nowhere and achieve nothing, and probably spend a considerable time thinking about your ego as that is the subject of the meditation
>>
>>18043749
Something I have been struggling to do since the first time I started meditating which was a couple of months ago.
>>
>>18043764
If the question made you uncomfortable then why did you reply?
>>
>>18043769
I guess I could try those techniques, I thought that destroying my ego would make me feel like a new person, which probably sounds stupid.
>>
File: 1470017558401.jpg (347KB, 1332x752px) Image search: [Google]
1470017558401.jpg
347KB, 1332x752px
>>18043788
You ever heard of a soul before anon?
>>
>>18043775
I wanted to answer your question.
>>
>>18043771
All you can do is practice. Focus on your stomach as your breathing and don't fight incoming thoughts just let them pass and you will eventually regain the ability to silence your mind at will.
As with everything practice practice practice
>>
>>18043795
>soul before anon
No what is that?
>>
>>18043798
You're right, I just doubt my practice every now and then which makes me much less motivated to meditate.
>>
>>18043802
Souls are both a life force which flows through all things, and are the source of life itself,
as well as unique individuals who live out unique lives as we all do

The soul is you, and sex is the act of transposing your soul into another, and vice versa

an idol is a vessel for souls, but lo, how can a golden bowl compare to a beautiful woman?
>>
listen to one of them theta wave things while your meditating, the first few times you do that you can get a good buzz off it.
>>
>>18043815
I don't really know, how do they compare?
>>
>>18043808
There is an old Greek proverb about a hero named Hercules, who harbored the souls of great beings within his body. They offered him great strength, but at the price of his own sanctity.
He was tormented at all times by strange and disquieting emotions, fears which would cripple him, an anger which made his body ache for days and days, lusts he could not understand, and so on

What some might call demonic possession today, was the source of Hercules strength, but also the source of all his suffering
>>
>>18043865
Interesting. What exactly do you mean by this? That thoughts are a source of strength and a source of suffering?
>>
>>18043686
Stretches, arms, legs, face, muscles, etc.
Then
20min of sitting silently repeating a 2 syllable word made up or not ending with ing (etc bloom-ing, 4chan-ing, etc-ing), in your mind at a moderate pace without thinking. If thoughts do appear slowly go back to your word concentration.

Do this 20min 2x a day for 3 months. If it does nothing for you after 3 months then you probably have physical problems as well, and should seek medical help. Maybe intestinal troubles or chemical problems.
>>
focusing on your breathing isn't enough, it won't create the single pointed cocentration that is meditation, where you sit in between the states sleeping and waking focused.

first make sure your sitting posture is perfect, and breathe from your belly(get good at diaphragmatic breathing), make sure that its relaxed and effortless, once that's established where you
don't feel uncomfy and your breathing is serene and loose and chest is not moving, remember to breathe through the nose only. then you establish breath awareness in the nostrils, you focus on that for
awhile, then you incorporate a mantra, google: soo-hum - you breathe in and out with this mantra with a focus on the breath in the nostrils silently. with this in place, in about 30 minutes, you'll fall into glimpses
of real meditation, maybe 10 seconds or so, yes, real meditation is very hard to attain, but with constant practice, you'll be able to maintain it for slightly longer periods of time. meditation isn't about watching your
thoughts in a detached way, it's about attaining a very hard to explain kind of focus while in a very deep relaxed state, very deep.
>>
>>18043956
Interesting I will try tonight.
>>
>>18043934
Doing stretches is probably exactly what I needed to do before sitting for a long period of time.
>>
Thanks for the replies everyone, you have been very helpful.
>>
>>18043895
Seems like a fine lesson for today
>>
for me it's easier to stop thinking if I stare at the ceiling
>>
>>18044069
I'm guessing you don't sit cross legged when staring at the ceiling?
>>
>>18044055
Thanks for the insight.
>>
>>18043686
tai chi is meditation while moving, plus breath and energy work like you would while sitting.

If you look hard, you can find people who can do all the cool internal work things so it's effective as a martial art (which it is, it's just not obvious), people like Mark Rasmus, David Mizner, and Richard Clear. Not only intrinsic work, but energy work as well. Qigong in movement (martial arts is a testing ground for that) is real and lots of fun.
>>
>I just get lost in my thoughts and urge to move

this is precisely what you're trying to overcome, at least in the initial stages. this is like if a weightlifter said "I'm getting sick of trying to lift weights, it just tires out my muscles"
>>
>>18043788
>I thought that destroying my ego would make me feel like a new person, which probably sounds stupid.

sounds like you just need a new perspective on your own life instead of something as far out there as ego-death
sure you'll feel like a new person for a moment and then your ego will return (ego-death doesn't permanently destroy anything iirc, if only in the moment - it would be very troublesome if it did)
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.