[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are potions real?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: cauldron.jpg (21KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
cauldron.jpg
21KB, 480x480px
Not in the sense of fantastical effects like in Harry Potter of course, but I have noticed that potions in Neopagan and new age books refer only to the preparation of oils, incenses and herbal teas. Is that the only thing to it or are there more serious magickal practices or ceremonies that involve the brewing of potions with unconventional ingredients?
>>
>>18039711
Beyond the traditional preparation of tryptamine and phenethylamine containing brews, I am unconvinced that the magic of potion preparation is anything other than wishful thinking and/or hysterical delusion.
>>
>>18039776
So the closest thing to serious potions are the ones that contain psychoactive ingredients?
>>
>>18039782
According to my own research and beliefs, yes, but I could be wrong.
>>
>>18039711
Yes. African shamans do potions containing all kinds of things: emulsified monkey fat, Ashes of animal parts, snake skin, etc. Also fantastical potions like in harry potter do exist they are just not common these days. I'm a witch and I'm still learning but I know this much for sure even though I've not experienced it personally.
>>
>>18039817
>Also fantastical potions like in harry potter do exist they are just not common these days.

Could you please elaborate more on this?
>>
>>18039823
Not really. You know like polyjuice potion and potions to make people fall madly in love or tell the truth despite themselves. Those exist. They are just very rare because people believe in them less, the plants needed to make them may have gone extinct, the mythological creatures needed to make them have gone extinct, OR because there are just less witches and magicians than there used to be who could do such drastic magic. Like what king/president these days has a court magician or a set person to tell them the signs of the heavens. Basically no one compared to 2000-4000 years ago. Sure presidents consult psychics all the time but not so much the staff to snake, men into animals, dream-hopping magicians.
>>
Buuump for cool potion stuff
>>
Uh, yes, they are very much real and still are. But in the modern day, scientists managed to isolate everything that made these potions work and they cut out all the inactive fillers. We call it "pharmaceuticals" these days.
>>
>>18040435
err u avit m8
>>
>>18040454
But i wanted to brew shit in a cauldron
>>
>>18039817
Do you have any idea how stupid you sound?
>>
>>18040470
Do you?
>>
>>18040464
You can still do that. You get the stuff with the active ingredients you need, put it in a pot with some boiling water and after 30 minutes BAM. One potion that's good for what ails you. Lots of people still do it this way. Apothecaries in China, for example.
>>
Yes. They're called "drugs."
>>
>>18040492
Yes, I have a clear idea of how stupid you sound. You sound very stupid, in fact.
>>
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ql44cvip6427z/Potioncraft
>>
of course potions still exist, both medicinal using herbalism and sympathetic magic types using charged intent and corresponding components.

Thats not even counting entheogens, stimulants or straight up hallucinogens.

Theres like 12 books in the library in /omg/ about it.
>>
>>18039817
>I'm a witch

I wish i stopped reading earlier.
>>
>>18040632
Where can I find recipes?
>>
>>18040645
What's sympathetic magic?
>>
>>18040654
google will literally give you the definition, you don't even need to click a link.
>>
>>18039891
>to make people fall madly in love or tell the truth despite themselves.

What is sodium pentothal and MDMA Alec
>>
>>18040661
Thank you
>>
>>18040652
idk. But it might benefit you to look into herbalism and medicinal plants for a start. Then move onto the weird animal parts that the Chinese also use.
>>
Has anyone ever tried brewing a Harry Potter potion?
>>
>>18040687
>>18040652
here, dumbfucks
>>18040642
>>
I wonder if there is an FBI for magical creatures like witches, werewolves and vampires. I would like to meet that community.
>>
>>18040676
that was actually super shitty of me. Sorry m8.

Sympathetic magic essentially states that due to an objects properties (any object really, anything from plants to coins to entire mountains) it has certain "sympathetic" magical correspondences.

A bright yellow flower that blooms in the height of the summer probably has solar correspondences, if its root grows in the shape of a liver, it may be thought to have medicinal properties for the liver.

A blue stone probably has either lunar or water correspondences.
etc. etc. etc.

Its a complicated and old old concept, and is fundamental to all modern magical practices even if most people have no idea why an herb or plant has certain magical correspondences.

Most of the time, on a demonstrable scientific level this is all obviously bullshit. There are exceptions though, eyebright, for instance, is an herb said to grant keener insight, and mental clarity as well as be used to treat diseases of the eye. The plant actually DOES contain chemical compounds which can help with eye diseases, but usually this is not the case scientifically.

It "works" (in my opinion) because our brains speak in metaphor, and our brains are the source of the placebo effect. If you can just believe that sugar pill is going to heal you, whether because told by a doctor, or told by tradition, there is a very good chance that it will.

Since sympathetic magic is based on intuition and many people will see the same correspondences in an object, it tends to have some predictable results and becomes tradition.
>>
>>18040693
It does exist and it is terribly racist. Frankensteins catch no breaks.
>>
>>18040675
Correct! The question was "What are irrelevant things to bring up when the topic is POTIONS that cause someone to fall madly in love or tell the truth?"
>>
>>18040642
>mediafire
2007 called and
>>
>>18040726
You're so funny, man.
>>
>>18040726
mediafire is still patrician tier filesharing.
>>
bumping for more potions
>>
Where can I get a good quality cauldron?
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.