[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people feel the need to take psychedelic drugs to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 13

File: DMT-machine_elf.jpg (514KB, 541x556px) Image search: [Google]
DMT-machine_elf.jpg
514KB, 541x556px
Why do people feel the need to take psychedelic drugs to feel more spiritual?
>>
File: Alex_Grey_2013.jpg (453KB, 1524x2020px) Image search: [Google]
Alex_Grey_2013.jpg
453KB, 1524x2020px
>>18029312
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3uqBGTnUukg
>>
File: redro gondola.jpg (48KB, 604x403px) Image search: [Google]
redro gondola.jpg
48KB, 604x403px
>>18029312
They don't. It's just another excuse to get high.
>>
>>18029312
they're lazy and don't actually believe in metaphysics
they just like the high
>>
>>18029330
Yea, maybe for some. It is recreational for me, but shrooms are also a serious experience that I don't want to repeat so often. I do find the mushroom experience to be therapeutic. It really forces me to look at myself through a different lenses. I am forced to look at the bad and good. Facing the bad is beneficial because it helps you grow. Mushrooms just kind of slap a lot in your face and make you super aware of your own egotistical thinking. It's not just for fun. It can be used as a tool as well as recreationally
>>
>>18029391
And it's not that I need it, I just enjoy it. You don't really need a hammer to put a nail in a piece of wood, you could use a heavy rock, but tools are nice.
>>
File: mbuxhiw7Q71qzd7w7o2_1280.jpg (308KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mbuxhiw7Q71qzd7w7o2_1280.jpg
308KB, 1280x720px
>>18029312
Shortcuts are extremely tempting. Shamanism was the main form of spiritual practice throughout most of human history and it almost always involved drug use.

It's hard to make a concise argument over whether psychs are wrong or right when all you want is first hand paranormal spiritual experiences, it's up to each individual to decide.

Salvia is still legal in many states (I believe/hope) and if you breakthrough on it it's something to remember. But you have to ask yourself whether it's a real spiritual experience or not. Sure seems like it is...

>>18029324
Based Grey. He had a breakthrough experience on LSD during an orgy and claimed to have seen otherdimensional entities attaching themselves to the people involved and making them do things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv9e57qhFlg
>>
a lot of magical systems require you to be in an altered state of consciousness to really get into, drugs are a very easy way to make this happen instead of learning to meditate.
>>
>>18029762
why not both?
>>
File: 51MwUU9WqgL._SY355_[1].jpg (20KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
51MwUU9WqgL._SY355_[1].jpg
20KB, 355x355px
>>18029312
It can make you more artistic in a detailed fashion if you're into that, but machine elves don't really affect our daily lives. They affect you while you're in the moment of being high, even to the point where you can't even explain it to others when you come down. Deep meditation can actually improve your life, keep you on the straight and narrow. Drugs are just a temporary escape from reality. No scientific breakthroughs have ever occurred while someone was under the influence of psychedelics. A clear mind is the best mind.
>>
why do people cheat in video games and want to take shortcuts when walking a path?
>>
>>18029820
>No scientific breakthroughs have ever occurred while someone was under the influence of psychedelics.

And that is bullshit. Your post was good up to that point.
From the wording of your post I only need one example to make it false.
Here it is : Kary Mullis — LSD, polymerase chain reaction
>>
The weak willed.

see >>18029834
>>
>>18029834
For my friend it was different, it was not a shortcut. It was an initiation.
Nowadays she seeks these states without substances.
>>
I used to dex a couple of times per year.
I don't know if there was anything real to it but I had been put into some sort of weird summoning trance while on it.
I also had an alien, I couldn't see it but it was more of less just energy, take me through the cosmos.
It's the only drug I've ever used that always brings out spirits and other guides.
>>
>>18029312
True wisdom can only come from intense emotional and physical pain; it's just one of the ways people intentionally ruin their own lives.
>>
Why do people feel the need to go to church.
Don't they know God is within them?

Ban churches. Burn them down. Jail the recipients.
>>
>>18029312
>having feelings
Honestly, I stumbled across it.
>>
>>18029864
It's called psychosis, or schizophrenia, or both.
>>
Hey OP, Here's how drugs enlightened me :

Using drugs, I understood how we quickly forget that this is LITTERALY ''All in your head''.
Not just the Trip. But your everyday life, also!

Every single images you see through your eyes, every single sounds you ear, every smell, every taste you perceive, is really, all in your head. Your brain works as an (Electro-chemical) computer, with the GPU, the CPU, The ram, the HDD all integrated. eyes, ears, and other sensorial device are just relaying the data to our brain, which then create a virtual scene, in which you are submerged.

Doing drugs helped me understand the way my system works (BUT HEY KID, YOU NEED TO STOP, AT A GIVEN TIME)
You see, some alter the way nodes distributes packets. Ending up having your brain being pinged from many part of your body.
Or triggering some weird effects on some specifics devices. In small qts, you can try to bend your mind. I mean, try to influence the hue of your vision, the frequencies your ears focus on, and so on, and so on...

Again, I'm assuming you're a full grown adult that read and accepted the user Agreement.
So don't do drugs, kiddo.
>>
>>18029312
>>>/b/
>>>/ not/x/ /
>>
I donno about all the spiritual stuff but I've had all kinda memorable experiences (Good and bad) doing drugs when I was younger that I wouldn't have had if I didn't do drugs. Also they got me outta house without drugs and partying i probably woulda spent my teenage years sitting playing video games lol.
>>
File: frank-zappa[1].jpg (48KB, 300x440px) Image search: [Google]
frank-zappa[1].jpg
48KB, 300x440px
>>18029844
>dropped acid during the late 60's-early 70's
>thought he learned something profound
>typical of LSD users
>didn't discover PCR until 1983 long after being done experimenting with psychedelics

If he was still burnt out on LSD up until then his mind would be a fried mess and he never would have discovered anything of value
>>
>>18029312
Not everyone that is spiritual takes psychedelics. Not everyone that takes psychedelics is spiritual. Some people take psychedelics to see "cool shit" while still others simply use it as a way to "reconnect," either with themselves or with an "order" that they sense is inherent in existence.
Those people that consider themselves to be spiritual (or on a spiritual path) that take psychedelics do so for many reasons. I personally do not take psychedelics generally. Certainly not recreationally. But I view life as a spiritual path for everyone -- at least I do most of the time. But lately I feel stagnant, as if I have entrenched myself in the minutiae of physical existence to the point that I can't even meditate successfully anymore. I used to do it everyday. I think I would try psychedelics as maybe a refresher course in viewing life in a less physical, more focused way. Meditation can be done in conjunction with this. Taking psychedelics is only one thing that some spiritual people do.
>>
Why would you ever want to be out of control, ever?
Why open yourself up to becoming something that isn't you so abruptly?
>>
>>18029312
Hippies are the lowest scum on the earth and will do anything wrong and evil and believe delusions to justify it
>>
>>18029820
Pretty sure the guy who discovered DNA was under the influence of LSD
>>
>>18029312
It blocks a lot of vital senses. It helps to receive paranormal presences better, especially ghosts. Most of what people see on psychedelics isn't real though, and the practice is unhealthy.
>>
>>18030437
Literally said this a while ago.

Got called a Nazi.

gg
>>
>>18029312
Lack of psychological integrity or strength. Lack of skill, knowledge, or willpower to do it themselves.
>>
Acid seems to give both really profound and really delusional thoughts.
One ocuring theme among psychedelic users is that of aliens. I myself had an experience where I could sense some other really advanced race observing us, I could feel their presence but not see them, and why did it pop in to my mind I have no idea, because I was never really in to ufo.
>>
>>18029379
That's the most stupid shit. Nobody really enjoys the "high" from tripping. They enjoy the distorted experience of reality and the dismantlement of the self. There is no "ooooh this feels so good" with hallucinogens, just a lot of exciting "ooohh fuck". If we were seeking a "high" we would choose any other drug but hallucinogens.
>>
>>18029953
Why do u even care
>>
File: The+Third+Eye[1].jpg (20KB, 480x391px) Image search: [Google]
The+Third+Eye[1].jpg
20KB, 480x391px
>>18031406
I think the aliens, machine elves are the brain's way of making sense out of the nonsensical that occurs when you're tripping. It's like the Ganzfield effect or staring deep into the dark. Your brain's imagination begins to fill in the void of empty spaces with random images also reminiscent of pareidolia when you see images in clouds, etc.

The brain is like a computer, like Google image search. It sees something and automatically tries to connect it with something you know about or seen before even if you don't believe in it (aliens, monsters, etc.)

I think it also narrows down to when we dream. When we dream, the brain goes into survival mode and stays attentive while our bodies rest, to supply us with stories, images because the brain may feel it needs to keep us alive while we're sleeping when it really isn't necessary to dream at all.
>>
>>18031157
Also the unabomber
>>
File: 1445046418257.jpg (13KB, 255x190px) Image search: [Google]
1445046418257.jpg
13KB, 255x190px
>>18031534
Yes. But the sensory information you get when you think you see that you're sober is totally real, because... reasons. Or something.

Did I understand your point of view correctly?
>>
2 groups using psychedelics
>teenage losers to get high
>intelligent people to think outside the box and strip away ego
Psychedelics, when used properly, strip away your ego and let you see yourself as you are. This is why you see cases where someone goes from smoking a pack of cigarettes daily, or doing heroine, to quitting cold turkey after A SINGLE DOSE of psilocybin or DMT.
>>
Because they want to eat all the fruit and throw away the rind.
>>
>>18031586
Or you could try meditation.
It takes longer but there is no risk of permanent danage.
>>
>>18031649
Meditation can fuck you up just as bad as psychadelics bruh
>>
File: img011[1].gif (31KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
img011[1].gif
31KB, 800x600px
>>18031580
Reality supplies us with a more solid, stable, reliable environment. When mom and dad made us, we are made of them. We are processed like a computer very similar to them.

Humans and some animals, insects, crustaceans all see things differently. Some can see in the dark, some can see more colors than us, but without light or eyes these solid objects we're interacting with are just bumps in the dark.

What we do know is that there are different shades of objects because of how they interact with light.

We exist in a world of opposites, negative, positive and all shades in between. Light is energy. Darkness is the lack thereof. When two polar opposite objects are forced together, they will repel against each other. When they are the same or close to it, they tend to magnetize or follow each other, thus is the birth of intelligence or the universe itself.

The mystery is how could nothing collide into something and create some thing? Some thing would have to harness nothing on a level beyond both nothing and something. And that is why I think many humans believe in God. God is the force beyond our universe that Hadron collided nothing into something and created the universe, but the mystery remains. What is God and what is beyond nothing and something a.k.a. positive and negative?
>>
File: 1471035049149.png (36KB, 675x559px) Image search: [Google]
1471035049149.png
36KB, 675x559px
A lot have spiritual uses
>Peyote
>San Pedro cactus
>Weed

I think some cultures uses shrooms in a ritualistic manner too
>>
File: 1470970283751.jpg (507KB, 2156x680px) Image search: [Google]
1470970283751.jpg
507KB, 2156x680px
>>18031665
The ghost dance was used by Native Americans to protest the coming of whites. Before they danced they ate a couple buttons of peyote.

Peruvian shamans would take pilgrimages to collect the San Pedro.

Rastafarians are high AS FUCK 24/7.
>>
>>18030405
Lol. Some people have really bad control issues. Or have other bad behavioral problems. I don't think experiencing something that "isn't them" in an abrupt, if perhaps jarring, experience is not a bad thing. It is very telling that you think that it is.
>>
>>18031300
It's funny that someone that seems to think people that take psychedelics are beneath him speaks in such a condescending way. You sound incredibly immature.
If this isn't bait, it's fucked up that you can be so shitty and not only not see it, but speak with such condescension. You probably think you're really important and charismatic too, right?
>>
I don't have a problem with it, I just wish they'd shut up about it.
>>
>>18029312
Wales Valleys boyo here. Spent my teens on magic mushrooms. Still best drug I've ever tried. They open the doors of perception man ...or some shit like that.
>>
>>18031649
Do you really live your life this way? Are you really this scared of psychedelics?
Or do you really think that just because something "takes longer" it's more noble and pure and worth doing.
These are two options. Meditation and psychedelics. I would never tell anyone to consume psychedelics because it is necessary to evolve spiritually. No single path is right for every single person. Yet you seem to discount it entirely because you personally choose to meditate INSTEAD of take psychedelics. That's silly and honestly a little narrow-minded.
That being said, I don't think that consuming psychedelics all the time as THE ONLY WAY to keep on the proper spiritual path is correct either. Just as psychedelics cannot lead you to where you need to go every time, I think neither can meditation or prayer or reading the right texts or what have you.
There is a time and place for everything. You act so above psychedelics. Why?
>>
>>18031766
I don't think experiencing an abruptly jarring experience is a bad thing*

Sorry, my bad on the typo.
>>
>>18029312
Because it provides a different perspective on everything and diminishes the ego, which is probably the single biggest impediment to spiritual fulfillment
>>
>>18031534
That's pretty much my theory on psychedelics. The drugs make your brain look for information in your surroundings until it starts making stuff up. Since fractals are so common in nature, your brain starts to see a lot of them, same with movements and brighter colours. At a high enough dose your brain looks for so much information in stuff that you enter a sort of drugged out waking dream where your brain is just creating a reality for you (like a normal dream), and that's a breakthrough experience.

Now there are some interesting things psychologically going on too, and I think that drugs can be useful for introspection, but it's not like anything you see is real outside of your head.
>>
>>18029312
Not spiritual but it does help people get the bigger picture of the world and why things are like this. Psychedelics in general can cure certain mental illnesses or make it worse. Sometimes people need a reality check and gets a slap in the face when they do substances, others will fall into its hands and become addicted. I know friends of friends who are in mental institutions for having a bad experience and I know some that will quit substances from something like cigarettes to something as addictive as heroine after seeing their own reflection. I don't have much experience with psychedelics myself but to be honest, the first time I did LSD I was a miserable person that didn't understand why everything was so shitty and then once it kicked in, there is just this feeling of euphoria that tells you that everything is going to be fine. And trust me the one thing I noticed the most was that you become less materialistic when you do substances like this
>>
>>18031649
>It takes longer but there is no risk of permanent danage.
Please cite your sources of psychedelics causing permanent damage, or refrain from spouting misinformation.
>>
>>18029312
They don't know how to access those altered states of consciousness without drugs
>>
>>18032108
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogen_persisting_perception_disorder
Look up depersonalization and derealization also. There isn't a lot known about the long term affects of hallucinogens but they exist.
>>
>>18029312
because they've been conditioned to do so. power of suggestion, conformation bias blah blah blah. duh.

next thread.
>>
>>18032108
Unabomber was said to have become paranoid after being given LSD in MKUltra. Then again, while you could say paranoid, he was way ahead of his time in fearing the singularity which we will inevitably give birth to and which will destroy us.
>>
>>18029312

Weak minds need stuff like this to feel like their lives are worth something.
>>
yall forget that MKultra ran primarily on LSD

John Lilly made breakthroughs but also went crazy with ketamine
Alexander Shulgin is a renowned scientist that spent a good part of his career on an assortment of compounds
There were universities in the 50s or 60s (i forget) that took a bunch of scientists that were stumped on problems and gave them lsd and jazz records and they had many breakthroughs

just because a bunch of degenerates do drugs to escape their lives doesnt mean that brilliant minds can't improve upon their brilliance with carefully curated shifts in perception

ill be chillin in another dimension while most of u faggots are dying to make a pact w/ a demon or astral project
>>
For me, lsd is like a good mental and physical cleanse. Its like doing a virus scan for my mind. Its not so much spiritual as it is therapeutic. I know its sounds very cliché but last time I dosed I did some yoga for my back (I have a bad back) and i grew maybe an inch or 2 cuz my back straightened out.
>>
>>18033717
many shamans of other cultures believe in this as well. i was reading something about an ayahuasca shaman talking about it being a spiritual cleanse you should take after so many years and even if you cant find ayahuasca, mushrooms will work in its place (and i believe lsd-25, 1p-lsd, AL-LAD, etc, do as well)
>>
>>18029312

Because it opens you up to dimensions you literally did not know existed.

It's like...

You think you know, but until you've been there, you can't realize what you don't know.
>>
File: 1469596800345.jpg (59KB, 535x533px) Image search: [Google]
1469596800345.jpg
59KB, 535x533px
>>18029312
For me it was a shortcut, you don't retain nearly as much spiritual change if it doesn't come from within. if I am looking outside of myself for growth threw drugs then I don't learn or retain much of my experience, or feel as full filled by it. Use of dmt, nbome, and heaps of lsd opened me up. I went from an devout atheist to looking at things beyond that on a entirely different level. hallucinogens is a great place to start put not a great place to end up in my experience.

I find much more value in people I connect and talk to on a spiritual level, meditation. in reading various books like tao teh ching, stuff by alan watts, zen koans and etc. Having spiritual relationships overshadows everything else though, being connected/caring for others is my priority all else be damned.

It's a tool just like anything else, effectiveness and goal are entirely up to the user. For the addict it can be very dangerous and destructive tool. It also can be misused by anyone who hasn't be educated in safe use just like any tool or drug.

>>18029834
I agree, however life is not so black and white. there are cheaters who enjoy fucking around with the game, they find it enjoyable-breaking rules and acting outside of parameters is something most enjoy in some capacity.

>>18029897
Bad trips are a thing aswell, I spent a few million years in hell during my first trip, bad trip.

>>18032098
>quit substances from something like cigarettes to something as addictive as heroine after seeing their own reflection.

Lol that happened to me twice until I got hooked on tripping. Now I dont touch anything but god knows where I would be if I hadn't tripped.

I'll try anything twice.
>>
>>18033134
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0063972
>>
File: 1470635669721.jpg (246KB, 776x533px) Image search: [Google]
1470635669721.jpg
246KB, 776x533px
>>18033134
Lol have this. You just accept it, its not so troublesome (unless you decide it is, perception is everything)

mild psychosis from lack of sleep is exacerbated from heavy psyc use in my experience. If you abuse anything it has consequences.
>>
>>18029312

It's an excuse to party.
>>
>>18031658
How
>>
>>18031795
I'd say both psychedelics and meditation are a temporary solution. They both wear off and you need to do them again.
>>
What is acid like? I only use shrooms, but would be interested in other stuff too
>>
>>18035742
Like shroom on steroids. Definitely a stronger head space, you jump thoughts way more frequently and it's kinda hard to keep a straight line of thought. Visuals for me are more of a cubist style.
>>
>>18029379
try them then try a working. just do it, don't pussy around or find reasons not to.
>>
>>18029897
you've never had a difficult trip, have you
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.