[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Most supernatural cases are not particularly supernatural

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

After years of being interested in the paranormal, I find my belief in it waning, especially when it comes to the topics concerning ghosts and spirits or religious matters.

For one, ghostly apparitions seem to be based on very arbitrary and convoluted rules. There are supposed reports of furniture being moved violently, of people being thrown around, but no one ever records this kind of thing: at most, you hear a creak or a some noise that could well be attributed to a floorboard or pipes. Why isn't the airspace at Ground Zero haunted, but some old house with a suicide can have the title of "most haunted"?

The only paranormal phenomena that I can find to be plausible is that of UFOs and extra-terrestrial encounters, because there really is some strange cases that have been documented by the military and civilian authorities. But ghosts and spirits? Not at all. Psychics and ESP? Every single case has been proved a fraud or is sketchy as fuck. Religious cases? Obvious cases of pious fraud or myth-making or natural causes being blown out of proportion by hysteria/belief.

Pic somewhat related, some Catholic clergy-man who used carbolic acid to fake stigmata, but who is still revered as a thaumaturgist.
>>
>>18003127

JIDF go away
>>
>>18003208
Why JIDF?
>>
>>18003245

The Jews are interested in keeping the supernatural a secret. Duh.
>>
You've just been looking at the wrong places.

Your looking at ghost investigations and superficial phenomenon like stigmata. That's all total crap.

The US or the west in general isn't really a great place to start since its culture is so new compared to the rest of the world. There are not many established practitioners or purveyors of supernatural abilities and such. And the legit ones will most likely be kept well hidden.

But if you go to older cultural areas such as India, China, South America, Africa, you'll find what you're searching for in abundance.
>>
>>18003259
I doubt there's anything to keep secret, though. Like I already said in the OP, the only supernatural cases I can even consider being plausible or actually mysterious are UFO cases, because there are actual incidents with authorities - civil and military - that lend credence to the idea of something mysterious. The Manises incident, the Cash-Landrum Case, the Phoenix Lights, you get the idea.

But then you look at cases involving ghosts and spirit entities. First, there's no actual case that has proper investigation into it that's not one by pumped up "ghost hunters". There's no video footage of actual activity occurring, despite reports of what one would term massive and explicit PK/poltergeist feats. Third, the rules seem completely arbitrary and convoluted and even culture-bound. Why do these spirit entities only appear at night, in most cases? Why are areas such as Ground Zero in New York not massively haunted, but the shithole where some old lady died is haunted and a "hub" for ghostly activity?

Religious cases are the weakest. Firstly, many involve stigmata, which itself is suspect, since stigmata only appeared in the 14th century with Francis of Assissi, and the common consensus is the Romans crucified by driving nails through the wrists, not palms. Other religious cases are just weak: extremely vague 'visions' that set themselves up for self-fulfillment or pareidolias.
>>
>>18003245
Don't play innocent with me you oven dodger
>>
What were you expecting OP? Most of the "supernatural" are either gross exaggerations, misinterpretation of events, or just downright frauds. Anything that can be empirically shown falls in the realm of science and outside the realm of the 'paranormal' by definition.

>>18003208
>>>/pol/.
>>
>>18003296
Fucking delusional.

>areas with lower educational standards and low levels of literacy happen to have more superstitious people who think every bird in the sky is a demon and every odd-shaped tree is a god!

Well gee, color me surprised, how'd you arrive to that conclusion?

>purveyors of supernatural abilities and such

I know every single case of reported psychic ability, and they're all fucking fake. As in, so fake they were found using strings or magnets or tampering with objects to achieve their effects.

>And the legit ones will most likely be kept well hidden.

Boring, stale meme.
>>
>>18003127

>Years of being interested
>Only reads stories
>Only looks in the US

Top fucking kek
>>
>>18003127
>Catholic clergy-man who used carbolic acid to fake stigmata
Source?
>>
>>18003782
>Only looks in the US

What exactly in my OP ever gave you the (incorrect) impression that I limited myself to researching cases in the U.S., and only there? I'm quite well versed in most paranormal cases all over the world, and I don't say that to flatter myself, I say that because, realistically, there aren't that many to begin with.

>>18003811
>Source?

From the research of a historian and author, Segio Luzzatto, who discovered correspondence in the church archives of a letter from Padre Pio to a nearby drugstore, where he - rather urgently - asked for carbolic acid.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/padre-pio-faked-his-stigmata-with-acid-397811.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/padre-pio-faked-his-stigmata-with-acid-397811.html
>>
>>18003811
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=2047151
>>
File: 1469639968112.jpg (30KB, 1280x720px)
1469639968112.jpg
30KB, 1280x720px
>>18003373
> china
> lower educational standards
Assblasted Amerifat: The Post
>>
>>18003899
>>18003955
>The pharmacist jumped to what Mr Luzzatto believes is the right conclusion. "My thought was that the carbolic acid could be used by Padre Pio to procure or further irritate wounds on his hands."
>Reports to the Pope, in Latin, accused the monk – who frequently scourged himself with a metal-tipped whip – of "copulating with women twice a week". The modernising Pope John XXIII was said to have authorised the bugging of his confessional to check on him.
No proofs.
>>
>>18004006
Oh sure, the more believable alternative was this guy was having authentic stigmata, right?
>>
File: Caracalla.jpg (313KB, 819x566px) Image search: [Google]
Caracalla.jpg
313KB, 819x566px
>>18003982
>"Although Shanghai and Hong Kong regularly perform highly in international assessments, Chinese education has both native and international detractors; common areas of criticism include... the gap in quality of education between students of rural and urban areas."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_China#Criticism

There are many parts of China - especially outside the urban areas - where education is subpar and deficient and funding is sorely lacking.
>>
>>18004030
> implying income inequality isn't a global, species-wide predicament
>>
>>18004020
For an unbeliever no proof is enough. Jesus performed miracles right in front of the Pharisees and they still didn't believe him.

On topic, I don't know whether the stigmata are real or not, but you have failed to provide evidence that he indeed used carbolic acid to forge them, and yet you assumed this to be true, saying
>Catholic clergy-man who used carbolic acid to fake stigmata
>>
>>18004047
There are reasonable grounds to conclude carbolic acid was used.

Pio was known for his sketchy behaviour, and Church doctors described him as psychotic and prone to lying and inventing fancies. The surviving correspondence from him asking for carbolic acid while demanding absolute secrecy is is also telling, and we know that carbolic acid would very much cause irritation and burns on the skin that would be consistent with the wounds on his hands. There are even testaments from when Pio was alive telling of how people hypothesized he was using some kind of acid to create his wounds, and how his hands even smelled like an acrid mixture of carbolic acid poorly masked by eau de cologne.

Main reason why it is probable it was not stigmata? Because stigmata only began to appear in the 14th century, with Francis of Assisi: there were almost 1,300 years when no one reported anything close to stigmata. Second, stigmata is always based on historical inaccuracies and artistic license: those victims of crucifixion were nailed at the wrists, not the palms of their hands.

>Jesus performed miracles right in front of the Pharisees and they still didn't believe him.

No he didn't.
>>
>>18004047
The story of the acid's been going around for a long time in Italy, growing out of eye-witness accounts in situ, from what I remember.
>>
>>18004069
Again no proof, just opinion and hearsay.

>No he didn't.
This again shows that you have no problem to make false assertions as if they were true.
>>
>>18004069
>Matthew 12:22-32King James Version (KJV)

22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.

23 And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?

24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.

25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.

28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
>>
>>18003127
well ain't you an edgy bastard, leave /x/ and never return, not because you are a skeptic, but because you are boring and rude about it
>>
>>18004106
>waahhh, don't you dare shatter my fantasies, they're all that keep me afloat!!!
>>
>>18004162
> browsing 4chan
You have no authority on matters of that sort, lad. The act of being here indicates that you're escaping something.
>>
>>18004095
But there is no proof of actual stigmata. Saying he did is hearsay.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.