[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/x/ vidya recomandation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 37

File: LPOutlastWB6_1280w.jpg (160KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
LPOutlastWB6_1280w.jpg
160KB, 1280x720px
What's the most horror game you know /x/. /v/ won't help. But i'm not into that zombie/gore theme, i'm more into the psychological horror. Gimme the best ones
>>
>>17991777
Try the Silent Hill series, especially 1 and 2. If you can get past the controls, the atmosphere is perfect.
>>
>>17991804
i think im going to do that right now, thanks for the suggestion
>>
Project zero/fatal frame
>>
I haven't played it in years, but I remember Condemned 2: Bloodshot being an incredibly satisfying psychological horror game.

A nearly Lovecraftian style descent into madness sort of thing as you keep peeling back the layers of the mystery of the story.

I have fond memories of its multiplayer mode too, even though it was kind of terrible.
>>
>>17991777
You'll have a hard time playing it these days but Eternal Darkness was 10/10 spooky shit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Darkness
>>
>>17991838
too bad it ain't for pc too
>>
>>17991851

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR2SNPMWYcQ
>>
File: INSIDE game.jpg (38KB, 914x514px) Image search: [Google]
INSIDE game.jpg
38KB, 914x514px
>>17991777

Game "INSIDE" is very good. I enjoyed it immensely.
>>
Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth was supposedly a pretty good game. 50% off on Steam right now as well, for $2.49.
>>
Try out penumbra/amnesia/outlast if you are into walking spooky corridors.
>>
Heart of Darkness is you're still a child at heart and like games like Flashback/Another World.
>>
There are no good ones because it's only jump scare startle you bullshit.

If you want good stuff that messes with your head read Lovecraft or go fuck yourself.
>>
Five Nights at Freddy's.
>>
>>17991777
Outlast, Amnesia, Layers of fear, SOMA, Condemned
>>
This may sound weird at first, but trust me.

Check out chulip for the ps2. It's *sort* of a kids game. It's really fucking weird and feels entirely off, and overall is a jOurney.

Other then that, the other posts in this thread are pretty good. Some other suggestions I got are the early resident evils, siren blood curse, fatal frame, the chzo mythos, and the condemned series are all pretty good.
>>
>>17993032
Soma made me sad
>>
Just bought Monstrum and I'm really enjoying it so far. It doesn't have a lot of complexity to it, but for a small little horror game I think it's pretty great. Don't buy it at full price though. I think it's on sale on Steam right now.
>>
Pathologic.
>>
The way I played Fallout 3 was pretty spooky the way I played it. I also thought dark corners of the earth was creepy
>>
Adventure in Humongous Cave, the baroque, text interface and lonely environs (especially the Chapel) make this one really unsettling and foreboding.
>>
>>17993624
and how was that
>>
File: Black_&_White_2_Coverart.png (141KB, 256x363px) Image search: [Google]
Black_&_White_2_Coverart.png
141KB, 256x363px
>playing at 3 am
>hear someone whisper my name
It was my spoopies experience.
>>
>>17991975
THIS

ALL OTHER "SCARY GAMES" ARE FUCKING SHIT. THIS ONE OP. IT WILL GIVE YOU NIGHTMARES.

>>17992121
yes they are all garbage except call of cthulhu
>>
>>17994948
New Call of Cthulhu and new Resident evil both look promising.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4QqxDXnhSM
>>
>>17991777
>recomandation
Jesus Christ, man
>>
File: image.jpg (310KB, 948x560px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
310KB, 948x560px
>>
File: soma.jpg (732KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
soma.jpg
732KB, 1920x1080px
Few off the top of my head

>Soma

Very good game. Claustrophobic with a real air of psychological menace and a great memorable story. Doesnt rely of jumpscares but rather an underlying oppressive atmosphere in a dark and horrible world.

>Bloodborne
Lovecraftesque souls game set in a gothic world resembling victorian england with a story focusing on corruption and addiction to the blood (AIDS) causing a great civilisation to descend into bestial barbarism. Scary in the fact that you have to fight hard to stay alive and the beasts and ayys look pretty horrific.
The redpill on bloodborne is that the entire thing is a coma patients fever dream.

>Dark Souls 1-3
Spooky undeads in a medieval world of gothic death. Again its scares come from trying to stay alive in a hostile world.
Dark Souls redpill is that the entire series is a death dream - the protagonist is actually dead and trapped in a kind of hellish purgatory, unable to properly die until the cycle is broken and the protagonist can move on from the world in between worlds.

>Fatal Frame
Classic jap survival horror where you take photos of ghosts with an antique camera. The frights come from making you feel vulnerable to the spooky ghosts stalking you.

>Dead Space series
Nice visceral sci-fi horror in the mold of event horizon. Good for jumpscares and gore.

Honorabu mentions goto
>outlast
>silent hill
>resident evil
>ecstatica
>forbidden siren
>clocktower
>system shock
>alone in the dark
>darkseed 1 & 2
>psy-ops - the mindgate conspiracy
>FEAR
>Condemned - criminal origins
>Amnesia the dark descent
>penumbra
>rule of rose
>clive barkers undying
>nightmare creatures
>parasite eve
>>
>>17995427

The only thing scary about that game is how cancerous the fanbase is.
>>
>>17991777
Seriously, newfag, use the catalog.

>>17987984
>>17987984
>>17987984
>>
File: Ld_banner2.jpg (51KB, 600x358px) Image search: [Google]
Ld_banner2.jpg
51KB, 600x358px
>>17994948

The only nightmares Dark Corners gave me was from the terribly clunky controls and laughable voice acting.

Plus, after you escape Innsmouth, the game becomes a terrible shooter. It's trash overall, although the escape from Innsmouth scene is enough to justify a $3 purchase.

Anyway, most of my suggestions have already been said, but I found The Last Door to be the best Cthulhu game I've played. Granted, the graphics are horrible Atari-tier and the game itself is easy (probably the easiest adventure game ever), but it does a great job of creating atmosphere and the story is intriguing.

Doesn't justify a $10 purchase, I got it for free in a bundle but I'd highly recommend pirating the gog version.
>>
File: esther.jpg (22KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
esther.jpg
22KB, 460x215px
>>
>>17995459
I hope it feels good to hate everything.
>>
Some people might disagree with this, but I've always found Yume Nikki very unsettling. Maybe it's because of how lonely and devoid of life many of the environments are, or how strange the imagery is. Some parts of the game are light and almost whimsy, but for the most part it's very anxious and sombre.
>>
Lethe.
>>
>>17991909
babby's first visual storytelling
>>
>>17995797
I played it too and sorry to make you sad anon but it was a really good game. kek
>>
The walking dead game
Its not horror really, but is strong on psychological part, because of the difficult/moral choices you have to make, all in all it made me depressed,
Very good game.
>>
>>17995827
I can tell this is going to get hate but I really liked this game. Not horror but still /x/ related and very very good.
>>
I'm currently playing Alien Isolation, knowing that the Alien is out there stalking me is really fucking my head.
>>
>>17991777
This thread already exists >>17987984
>>
File: Harvester_cover.jpg (22KB, 300x380px) Image search: [Google]
Harvester_cover.jpg
22KB, 300x380px
>>17991777
Harvester
>>
sad satan
>>
>>17995448
the first one was pretty good
>>
>>17998097
The only horror game anyone needs.
>>
File: D30PDLD.jpg (14KB, 343x343px) Image search: [Google]
D30PDLD.jpg
14KB, 343x343px
>>17991777
>mfw Outlast 2 soon
>>
>>17998097
the best game ever made.
>>
File: Half-Life_2_cover.jpg (67KB, 300x428px) Image search: [Google]
Half-Life_2_cover.jpg
67KB, 300x428px
I recko the half life games constitute as horror games,lots of disturbing body horror in them
>>
>>17995459
I read it as The Last Doot
>>
>>17991777
Neverending Nightmares. It's on Steam, very replayable due to the many different paths.
>>
>>17998725
I recently played through half life 2 again, and it's a lot more morbid than I remembered.
>>
>>17991777
I thought the F.E.A.R franchise was absolutely fucked and I loved the gratuitous dismemberment. The old Area 51 game on PS2 with duchovney narration was good too. And that game is stout man like 80+ boards. It took a few weeks of gameplay to beat it
>>
>>17995446
Don't play Dead Space 3 though, it became Mass Effect with some crafting, jump scares and space stuff basically
>>
File: DS3_Alien_Ruins.jpg (233KB, 1060x595px) Image search: [Google]
DS3_Alien_Ruins.jpg
233KB, 1060x595px
>>18000692
Yeah it wasnt as good as the first two. The level at the end where you are going through the dead ayylium city where those huge statues and mummified ayys are was pretty good and atmospheric through. Its the one part of that game that stuck in my memory.

>>17998097

Fuck me that takes me back.
>>
The Cat Lady and Downfall Redux. Ignore the graphics, the atmosphere and story are amazing.
>>
>>17991831
>To deliver massive damages, you'll have to look at the ghost as close as possible in first-person.

GENIUS
>>
File: 1470340155197.jpg (17KB, 326x272px) Image search: [Google]
1470340155197.jpg
17KB, 326x272px
The dead space series fucked me up pretty bad, imagine the worst religions on earth combine and form one that requires you to not only give them all of your money as tribute, but also have full access to you and your entire family, but these guys don't want you to turn gay, have your wife fuck a black man and then fuck your children, no, they want you to basically let yourself be brutally murdered by a zombie with sharp blades for arms and then let a ray-thing insert his spiky penis inside your skull just so you can become another one of those zombies. For "convergence", their version of heaven.

You at first think it's yet another thinly veiled critique at jews/muslims, but in space (what with all the cultural diversity in the series, you get chinks and pablos with names like john smith and the like), and then it turns out that it's not the unitologists the ones who wainbrash people for profit, IT'S THE ENTIRE HUMAN RACE WHO IS BEING BRAINWASHED, by who you ask? A super ancient alien who collapses society from within until humanity is so fucked that he just has to haul ass there and feed on the planet, only smart people and crazy people don't get affected by the hallucinations, but there are so few of them and they can do nothing against the entire human race and an eldritch deity.

You play as an engineer named Isaac Clarke who lost his gf in a spaceship named the ishimura, in the 3 games you play as him this guy gets shat on so hard by the universe that at the end he gives up his sanity, both gfs, his life, EVERYTHING, just so he can destroy the markers and even kill one of those gods to save the planet.

Then at the very end of it you learn that there are hundreds of those deities, and that earth is fucked anyway, because this kind of shit already happened but with other alien races.

At this point the only plot Dead Space 4 could have is having humanity get their shit together and build gundams with swords to eviscerate the shit out of planet-sized cthulus.
>>
>>18002019
>At this point the only plot Dead Space 4 could have is having humanity get their shit together and build gundams with swords to eviscerate the shit out of planet-sized cthulus.

That is just too optimistic, you're giving Visceral Games too much credit. They will undoubtedly fucked the story (and Isaac) even further.
>>
>>18002045
I want to habeeb

As long as they don't kill him in the intro of 4 I'm okay with them killing Isaac, he deserves to rest after all the shit he went through, he's almost 60 years old by dead space 3 and even if he kills all the aliens he's a criminal on par with a millions osamas back in earth, and he's literally too old for this shit anyway.
>>
>>17991777
Clive Barker's Undying. It has action too, but the story is pretty good.

You're a WW1 veteran with paranormal powers, and a friend you owe your life to calls you into his mansion because of shit going down thanks to a ritual he and his brothers did on some ancient stones when they were children
>>
>>18001992
ghosts aren't really that scary. jump scares might scare you if you're easily spooked
>>
File: xenomorph.jpg (6KB, 198x254px) Image search: [Google]
xenomorph.jpg
6KB, 198x254px
>alien isolation
I loved the atmosphere in the game.
Crafting system is nice.
The AI for the alien is great.
>>
File: 4.jpg (40KB, 533x400px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
40KB, 533x400px
the Siren series, fucking terrifying
>>
>>18000343
>the noises the headcrabs make when you set them on fire
>barnacles
>Ravenholm
>that one headcrab in the airboat level
>considering what the humans who get turned into stalkers are experiencing
>The G-Man song that plays on the TV's

and all the while Gordon never says antyhing liek wtf hes seen and done so many horrifying things
>>
>>18002142
>>
>>18000343
Fucking ravenholm man, on my first playthrough i quit after 3 minutes of ravenholm and then i dident play for a week
>>
File: neenp2030.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
neenp2030.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlY5DQ58wfs
>>
>>18002142
While the gameplay and difficulty spikes make playing it through properly a real chore, no game has ever matched Siren's brilliant, oppressive atmosphere. The level and music design is second to none.
>>
File: le smug Gigers.jpg (203KB, 1158x1096px) Image search: [Google]
le smug Gigers.jpg
203KB, 1158x1096px
>>18002185
>iamamassivepussy.jpeg
>>
>>17995446
FEAR has this crunchy type of violence that you don't normally see anymore in FPS games. To be honest Monolith have nailed the crunchy, visceral violence that Dead Space was going for. I also really fucking miss Psy-ops The Mind Gate conspiracy. Even if it gets shut down, I'd love to see a fan remake or sequel somehow.
>>
File: 2436940-outlast.jpg (34KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
2436940-outlast.jpg
34KB, 960x960px
Outlast.
Super physiological and super duper creepy dude
>>
>>18003227
Nothing but jump scares. Over rated trash just like five nights at freddies.
>>
>>18003251
Do not even equate it to that trash
>>
>>17995827
>>17997070
I thought I was the only one who liked it.
>>
Metro 2033- metro last light that or maybe S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Depending on the situation you walk into at night or underground.
>>
>>17995827
"""game"""

still worth to check out
>>
>>18003308
Outlast is trash.
>>
>>18003227
>>18003251
>>18003308
>>18003489
So what is it now? Could anyone tell me if it is a decent game or not? like, with actual reasons?
>>
>>18002084
Got a snake peek at a friend's house and it was pretty rad. I have fond memories of me running to an air vent, stopping suddenly, and looking down at the tail through my chest before being dragged into the aliens mouth
>>
DarkEye if you can figure out how to run it
>>
>>18002084
>The AI for the alien is great.
wtf? that goofy motherfucker totally broke the game for me
>>
>>18003530
>snake peek
>>
File: doggo.jpg (304KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
doggo.jpg
304KB, 1536x2048px
>>18003556
kek
>>
>>18003499
It's good so is the expansion.
>>
>>18003540
Oooh fuck yes. I havent played that game since I was like 8. That shit was cool.
>>
>>18003499
It's... alright? Last act feels very very very very very bad and the big reveal is pretty shit. But there are a few moments that I found very disturbing, in a good spoopy way
>>
>>18003600
>>18003694
alright, thanks mates. will at least try it out
>>
STALKER with the right mods.

I'm surprised nobody mentionned it, you're out there trying to fight against Poltergeists, mindflayers and the like with some guns and grenades.
>>
File: Gatekeeper_(Chattur'gha).jpg (43KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Gatekeeper_(Chattur'gha).jpg
43KB, 500x375px
>>17991870
>Pargon, Pargon, Bankorok, Pargon, Santak, Pargon, Ulyaoth, Pargon, Pargon
>>
>>17995446
no Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem in your honorable mentions?

Resident Evil meets Lovecraft. With much better controls. Great game and if you have a GC or an older Wii with GC ports try to find it.
>>
This sounds silly compared to some of the other (very good!) horror games on this thread, but the early access game Stranded Deep managed to freak me the fuck out at points.

There's no supernatural stuff, no scifi or murderers, just... the ocean. THE OCEAN, man. It's very well-rendered and beautifully made, which only makes the feeling of helplessness and vulnerability of the open water more intense.
>>
>>18004008
Dolphin 5.0 was released not long ago, for those that don't have a GC/Wii
>>18004118
Check out Subnautica
>>
>>18003541
>playing on easy
>>
File: name_uhh_spr.png (77KB, 666x240px) Image search: [Google]
name_uhh_spr.png
77KB, 666x240px
>>17991777

The Game Formerly Known as Spooky's House of Jump Scares is pretty good.
>>
>>18003556
Kekwin
>>
>>18003914

>>18003338
>>
>>18004302
has nothing to do with this. and i was playing on hard btw
>>
>>18005075
It has everything to do with it. And you're lying.
>>
>>18005120
>no no no
It has nothing to do with it and I played it on hard, faggot. It is besides the point, because the problems with the AI are pretty much the same on every difficulty. It gets predictable and makes silly choices. The Alien moves silly and its whole behavior is borderline cartoonish. After the first couple of contacts, I saw this more and more and it broke the game for me, because the Alien wasnt scary anymore, it was goofy
>>
>>18005140
It was goofy and predictable because you were playing the game on easy, you lying faggot
>>
File: sayanouta.jpg (555KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
sayanouta.jpg
555KB, 1366x768px
Kind of surprised none of y'all have said Song of Saya yet. Very creepy, gory, scary in a way I can't quite lay my finger on. It's a visual novel and I'm pretty sure you could find a free download somewhere with a little bit of digging. Highly recommend.
>>
I'm not sure if anyone has said layers of fear for the Xbox one? I finished it within a week. It's really jumpy and creepy. You might enjoy it. I'm playing the walking dead at the moment. It's meh... Kinda getting board with it though.
>>
>>18005159
that doesnt even make sense. So they made the AI and the animation cycle shitty on purpose? Stop shilling this game. it is overrated as fuck
>>
>>18005159
>I cant believe someone played open the door simulator on """""hard"""""
>>
>>18005286
Yeah, the AI was significantly different between difficulty modes. That's why I know you're lying.
>>
>>18005329
It was shitty in all difficulties and you keep ignoring that this is besides the point, since the problem wasnt the difficulty. But hey, everybody with a different opinion than you must be lying. You are a true /x/tard
>>
Fallout 3
>>
>>18005338
It's not an opinion that the AI behavior was vastly different between difficulty modes, it's a fact.

You're trolling.
>>
>>18005350
Never claimed that there arent differences between the AI behavior in different difficulty modes. And yes, it is in fact better in hard mode. But the Alien was generally unconvincing as a scary monster for me. After a time you could predict how it would move and behave. You could also tell apart the fake sounds in the environment and on the motion tracker (designed for a cheap scare) from the sounds actually coming from the alien. It was also always "find x to open door y". Aside from the superb atmosphere and well captured movie aesthetics this game had no outstanding qualities
>>
Surprised nobody has mentioned it, but Among the Sleep. It's spooky, got a nice story, and it's tension scary not "ooga boots" scary. Kind of sad, too.
>>
idk if this is here already but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmOixS92CTM
>>
>>18005240
Mt friend did the official translation of this game. It's pretty good.

10/10 taste anon-kun
>>
>>18005348
Yeah it's scary. Scary how bethesda could fuck up fallout this badly
>>
File: kek.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
kek.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>18005881
Oh boy. 4 is also quite the nightmare
>>
>>18002222

Agree, the only scary thing is when you fuck up and get swarmed by zombies.
Back then it was scarier from time to time.
The real terror came from the fast Zombies tho. To this day i get an uneasy feeling when they jumpscare your shit outta nowhere after that screech

Fuck i wish there would be another half life game out soon
>>
>>17995446
>Bloodbone...(AIDS)
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>17994851
way he played it
>>
>>17995603
>Posters are quite literally saying they hate every scary game except Dark Corners
>Explains why it's an overrated experience
I doubt he was the one who hated everything in this scenerio
>>
>>18005376
Glad someone pays attention to the fucking game instead of being distracted by shiny aesthetics.

They really made it seem like the AI was gonna study you and be really unpredictable, but like you, after the first few contacts, you started seeing the flaws in it's design, like you said with the animation cycle.

Overall not too shabby, but not the scary AI skynet "cheating-bitch" chesswiz people are making it out to be.
>>
>>18003227
>>18003499

Feed me... FEED ME...
>>
>>18002185
>play demo when it comes out
>be 12 or so
>come from playing half life and watching bullets go through bodies
>find a dead body in ravenholm
>"haha, how crazy would it be if..."
>shoot body
>it twitched from the impact and gets a bullet wound
>feel sick for a week after
>>
>>18005881
>>18006341
You cliches probably over romance the belushi era
>>
>>18002204
The Siren games are so underrated. It and Fatal Frame are definitely my favourite horror series.
>>
>>18007489
wow, what a meaningless reply
>>
>>18007489
take your meds son
>>
>>18005075
Ur a lyin nigger
>>
>>18008035
>>18005313
>>
>>17991838
Condemned 2 was fucking shit are you retarded? Horrible. One of the worst I've played. 1st was good.
>>
File: 1466225686961.jpg (54KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
1466225686961.jpg
54KB, 400x399px
>>17992112
My nigger
>>
>>17991838
Definitely both of the condemns
>>
File: 1464292772536.jpg (218KB, 756x972px) Image search: [Google]
1464292772536.jpg
218KB, 756x972px
>>17991851
This.

Hell it's hard to even find a let's play that's not full of autistic jabbering
>>
>>18007977
>>18007933
>Hey guys, Bill Murray and Dan Akyroyd is funny!
>>
>>17991777
This just reminded me Outlast 2 has been delayed to Q1 2017.

Fuck :/
>>
>>18001923
DS3 was pretty as fuck though and the attention to detail was fucking insane.

They ruined it with the shitty co op where multiple chapters are locked from solo players so you don't get the full plot.
>>
>>18002084
I'm gonna buy that in the Halloween sale. I keep meaning to.
>>18002142
Blood Curse on PS3.

Shat bricks.
>>
>>18007471
That scene gave me major flashbacks to my first homicide case back in 1999.
Not something that I wanted to remember in all honesty.
>>
File: manhunt.jpg (298KB, 600x601px) Image search: [Google]
manhunt.jpg
298KB, 600x601px
>>17991777
Manhunt, if you like stealth. It is pretty gory, but it's also quiet unnerving the first time through. You'll frequently find yourself hiding in the shadows afraid to move. You really will feel like you are being hunted. It's a very atmospheric game.

One interesting aspect of the game is that you start out very weak. You can't hope to go toe to toe with the hunters. You don't get any stronger as it progresses, and they don't get any easier. What happens is that you, the player, get good at stalking and killing them.
>>
>>18005675
overhyped trash riding on bioshock's (yes bioshock, not system shock) aesthetic spark. has pretty much nothing going for it other than the quirky setting. maybe it'll have something going for it when they actually add some content, and even then I'd only recommend it at a discount.
>>
>>18009978
Bought this a while back on steam, unfortunately it's a little bugged, even with the fan patch. the ai of some NPCs doesn't work, and luring people with sound as a mechanic is completely broken.

still a pretty great game, like playing a snuff film.
>>
File: pgabsf.jpg (61KB, 670x503px) Image search: [Google]
pgabsf.jpg
61KB, 670x503px
>>17991777
youtube search the gotthard tunnel in switzerland.
>>
>>18010004
nvm...I'm such an old fag that I thought vidya was the way you kids said video. fuck me

â–²
▲▲
>>
>>18005240
I tried playing it and I couldn't stand the art. It looked like complete ass.
>>
File: reaggearg.jpg (358KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
reaggearg.jpg
358KB, 1600x1200px
>>17991827
Silent Hill for psychological horror, Fatal Frame for raw spooks.

>>17991851
I find this game vastly overrated. Can anyone explain to me why this is so good? All anyone ever talks about is the mindfucks, which are cool, but beyond that I found it to be a pretty basic time traveling hack n' slash.

>>17991975
Pretty fun game, it's got some cool mechanics. Though I played it before I read Lovecraft's work so I'm curious if I would have liked it as much as I did. The PC port is horrible though.

>>17992101
Penumbra is a great puzzle focus (dat radio puzzle), Amnesia is raw brick-shitting, and Soma has the best story (I'd be hesitant to call it horror though).

>>17993032
I really hope Layers was fixed for the alpha release. The beta had horrible pacing and got very, very predictable. Condemned is great - the best word I can use to describe it is "dirty".

>>17995427
Good for some jump scares.

>>17995827
I wouldn't call it "psychological", I'd call it "emotional". Better than the comics or show.

>>17997216
It was good for the first 1/2 - 2/3. The rest was a repetitive trudge that pretty much ruined it.

>>18002142
Sightjacking was neat, but I didn't like the missions nor the stealth focus (which is weird, because that's a good fit for horror). I found it frustrating rather than scary.
>will you open the door
Yes.
>will you get in the car
...Yes?
>will you use the key
YES.
>will you drive the car
FOR FUCKS SAKES YES.
>>
>>18003227
Spooky and short - it gets to the point. It usually doesn't bog itself down with hiding in a locker waiting for the baddie to go away, and it moves at a pretty fast pace. The ending is phoned in, but I dug it.

>>18005470
A good number of very creepy moments. I remember it as much for its charm as for its scares. The teddy bear is great.
>dat ending ;_;

>>18009386
First half was badass, the second half was stupid.

>>18009978
Not really horror, closer to snuff. Maybe it was cool for its time for shock value, but not worth your time.

Games not mentioned that I saw:
>Which (freeware)
>Candles (freeware)
>Exmortis (flash)
>Metro 2033
>Lone Survivor
>Paranormal

And finally, for a non-horror game that might do the trick
>DEFCON
>>
>>17991777
Eternal Darkness and Alone in the Dark (original one and The New Nightmare, skip everything else) if you like lovecraftian stuff

Silent Hill 1-3 for a very solid horror experience and pyschological/symbolic stufff

Resident Evil remake and RE0, they're excellent old school horror. The rest of RE is alright too, just be warned anything onwards from 5 can be considered a different series.

Ib is very spooky and not too well known, the graphics are old school and the gameplay is rather simple but I really enjoyed it.
>>
>>17994931
That shit was worse than any horror game I've ever played.
>>
>>18009904
Woah. Share?
>>
>ctrl+f
>psychological horror
>no mass effect
>no assassin's creed
>>
>>18010650
You have good taste, Anon.
>>
>>18009815
cuck
>>
>>18010952
those arent horror games. and everybody alreday knows them
>>
>>18000692
3 was the best, its not about the jump scares, its about the overarching story of issac fighting these eldritch horrors. And how helpless they all are to do anything
>>
File: beast.jpg (369KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
beast.jpg
369KB, 1200x675px
>>18007241
Learn2subtext anon
.Have you not played it through?

The whole storyline is an AIDS metaphor. The residents of Yarnham became addicted to blood transfusions for the purpose of intoxication (degeneracy) and in turn became corrupted by a bloodborne virus, the product of which was a regression into a bestial state followed by death. By the time they noticed its spread, the residents of Yarnham tried to contain and purge the corruption but it was too late as it had already spread among the majority of the populace thanks to them consuming the tainted blood.
The really important part to note however is at the beginning of the game, the protagonist is seen having a blood transfusion. As the needle slips into his arm and he loses conciousness and slips into a fevered coma dream. It is implied that the whole game is merely the coma dream of the protagonist and this is visible in several places
>the world refered to as both the "hunters dream" and the "hunters nightmare"
> the constant allusions to blood, sickness and blood transfusion throughout;
> the large, unseen without insight, spider-like antities that are named 'aymgdalas' - which is the part of the brain that references threat.
>the atrophied and sick looking nature of the enemy design. Also bloody stained bandages on fucking everything.
>The "it was all a dream" ending where if you willingly let Gehrman decapitate you (therefor relinquishing the control you had over the nightmare all along) you actually wake up in a sun filled non-corrupted yarnham.

It all makes for a rich tapestry but there is a clear subtextual AIDS metaphor - the name of the game in its self - "bloodborne" (ie a bloodborne virus) should be clue enough.
>>
>>18010625
>Not really horror, closer to snuff. Maybe it was cool for its time for shock value, but not worth your time.

Have you ever actually played it? There's more to it than shock value. It's a challenging and intense game, and it's very effective at immersing you into it's world. It's definitely psychological horror. The executions are brutal, and to a lot of people I guess they would be shocking, but you get desensitized to it, because there's only so many times you can watch the same three animations (three for each melee weapon) before it wears off.

I'm usually someone who likes my games to have a story. Manhunt's is minimal, and it's one time where I think minimal is perfect. Anything more would have just gotten in the way.

On the other hand, the voice acting was awesome. After I beat it the first time, I found myself just hanging out in the shadows sometimes just to hear all the different hunter dialogue. It's actually quiet hilarious, particularly the Smileys and Innocentz.
>>
>>18011913
wow... you're reaching
>>
>>17995446
Pathologic would fit in your criteria quite well
>>
>>17995827
I couldn't get into it, found it mainly to be a bit tedious and dull.
>>
The first Dead Space.
>>
>>18013295
give me your analysis then
>>
>>17993469
Seconding this one
If you find the right shit in it, Chulip is freaky af, especially cuz of the games overall attempt at 'lightheartedness' is broken with all sorts of offputting little shit
>>
>>17995446
soma best game
>>
>>18011069
>taking the bait this hard
>>
File: 1406186919302.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1406186919302.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>18012171
I played the first 1/2 to 2/3 of Manhunt a few years ago and I got bored of it. I found it to be overly simplistic once I got used to the (admittedly brutal) kills. It felt like a more bare-bones Hitman, though more grimey - and if I want a grimey game, I'll play Condemned.
To be fair, I played it long after it came out, so maybe that reduced its impact somewhat.
>>
>>18002084
This. The entire game has you on the edge of your seat.
>>
>>18016499
>i was only pretending to be retarded
>>
> Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
(install the Mirkwood Guide patch though because it doesn't function at all on newer systems)
> Amnesia: The Dark Descent
> Penumbra: Overture (first game in series)
> Penumbra: Black Plague (second game in series)
> SOMA
> Outlast
> Layers of Fear
> Doorways: All Chapters collection
Thread posts: 167
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.