[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meditation General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8

File: illuminati-pyramid.jpg (92KB, 600x609px) Image search: [Google]
illuminati-pyramid.jpg
92KB, 600x609px
>Clicks catalog
>Hotkey find "meditation"
>0 results
Top Kek.
Also: Meditation General.
If this board doesn't prove to be unbearably toxic, I will renew this every time it becomes archived and hopefully it becomes an essential. How can anybody here even pretend to be spiritual without meditation of a regular basis? Without exercising metacognition, your thoughts are most likely restricted to existing somewhere in the spectrum of business related thinking and accidental thinking. One must expand their consciousness to thinking outside the box.
>>
>>17988491
Any good guides or books on the topic?
>>
File: 1467320509836.jpg (338KB, 1883x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1467320509836.jpg
338KB, 1883x1024px
>>17988492
Yeah, I read a few back in the day.
>The posture of Meditation
>The yogi science of Breathing
>Dhammapada
First is far more technical. Second is a bit into the psuedoscience genre. Had a few more reads but not entirely to recollection.
>>
File: 1467320275588.jpg (76KB, 549x669px) Image search: [Google]
1467320275588.jpg
76KB, 549x669px
I am not entirely convinced that anybody can draft a self-driven spiritual claim without mediation. If one does not actually posses the attention span, or patience to know the benefits of meditation, then they are most likely ACCIDENTAL THINKERS. Ironically, these people would benefit the greatest from meditation and are the least likely to practice it. The benefits are rooted in concrete science and known to be what we should all add to our lives. On a psuedoscientific notion, many cultures (specifically Eastern) have meditation as the core for spiritual vitality.
>>
File: image.jpg (114KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114KB, 640x640px
mega library form occultism & magick general has some books on meditation
https://mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ
>>
Meditation isn't the main target, it's just tool on a journey to enlightenment.
>>
>>17988491
not your average /x/er

I've been trying to meditate recently, to only moderate success. I probably am an absolute accidental thinker -- I often describe inspiring thoughts as traveling lightning bolts that I happen to be standing inbetween at the time. I have a problem with both focus and memory, so it's an uphill battle for me.

Been able to experience two near out of body experiences, but they happened more than 10 years ago now and I haven't been able to duplicate the results yet.

Best place to START for someone as troubled but interested in meditation as me? I can't dive into those meaty books until I learn the fundamentals, I feel.
>>
>>17988562
>Best place to START for someone as troubled but interested in meditation as me?

Google, "zazen".
>>
>>17988496

The yogi science is a great book.

Every time I don't feel ok

>Deep cleaning breath

And the negative just wash away.
>>
>>17988500

Becose is the key.

The real you is the silent attention that is behind worlds, the spark of God.
It will only shine if you become clear as water.
Mindfulness meditation is key
Love is the way.
>>
What am I expected to see/experience when practising meditation? I've been trying it recently, but I see nothing and feel only some sort of relaxation, does that mean I'm doing it wrong?
>>
>>17988496
>yogi science of breath
I highly suggest this as well. It's a super quick and easy reef, it also ties the physiological and spiritual aspects of meditation together really well IMO.
>>
>>17988635
Read**
>>
>>17988628

It becomes increasingly intensive with constant practice.
At the beginning you will feel relaxed and if you keep your attention on it meanwhile non tinking it will become more and more intense.

For results do at least 20 min daily and increase it from there if you feel you like it.
>>
>>17988628
No that means you are doing it right. Keep at it.
>>
SHIT THAT HELPS (erm that ive found subjectively)

-burping, releases the air in your stomach, if you are sitting in an unfamiliar pose, you have probably not adjusted your muscles to form a breathing pathway for this new unfamiliar pose.
burping helps temporarily create a breathing channel and ive found i can establish new poses/yoga better the second i just burp.
basically if you find yourself in physical discomfort while attempting meditation, try burping.

-ok so your eyes are a sphere that fits into the skulls eye socket hole. there are small bulbs under the helm of the eye socket, just feel around above your eyelid/closer to your nose. check pic for reference.
press on these points. they are commonly neglected points that can offer instantaneous release.

-you spend all day talking, and then you go to sit and you continue to talk in your mind. instead, take a temporary vow of silence, then when someone tries to talk to talk to you, write you have taken a vow of silence. theyll be like ok whatever. THEN IMMEDIATELY go meditate. this is how you approach the loud thoughts in your mind. it is an exact similar to how you should respond to thoughts. you (assuming you subscribe to western culture) are not used to shutting up in conversation, so how could you do it in practice? you feel obligated to continue the conversation because it is the polite thing to do and then you do it in meditation.
>>
File: afgafdsg.png (16KB, 692x592px) Image search: [Google]
afgafdsg.png
16KB, 692x592px
>>17988746
>>
I don't often sit down to do some traditional meditation but it feels like I always do anyway.

Is being mindful the same as meditating? It's clear that meditation feels different, but is it okay to just practice mindfulness instead of meditating everyday?
>>
>>17988491
what is accidental thinking? i suspect it's more than just thinking by accident.
>>
>>17988746
>-you spend all day talking, and then you go to sit and you continue to talk in your mind.

I don't talk all day, but I have a very talkative mind. So far the only thing I'm able to do is the "OH WELL, PEACE" trick, but there are sometimes that I still cannot get my head to shut the fuck up.

Also I've been doing this with my eyes closed, to block out stimuli, but in the zazen thing they have their eyes half closed? Is that a necessary requirement?

I also have a severe leg injury that prevents me from sitting crosslegged... I hope that is something I can bypass as well.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Right now I just sit in a chair, outside, at night and can achieve a peaceful mind for maybe 10 to 20 minute bursts.

VERY rarely can I go longer, but once I was outside for almost 40 minutes in the same position. It was pretty magical.
>>
>>17990083
>I don't talk all day, but I have a very talkative mind. So far the only thing I'm able to do is the "OH WELL, PEACE" trick, but there are sometimes that I still cannot get my head to shut the fuck up.

look up vipassana
>>
Mindful bump
>>
How often should one meditate in a day?

Is there such a thing as overmeditation, much like there is such a thing as oversleeping?

Do YOU PERSONALLY create your happy zen place, or do you strive for absolute nothingness?
>>
>>17988491
Thanks for restarting this anon, I started the last mediation general thread but it didn't really take off. Good luck and
>Bump
>>
trouble concentrating?
mentally repeat a mantra!
depressed or anxious?
confused or scatter-brained?
it's really quite nice.
t. prabhupada
>>
my tibetan friends all recommend multiple short sessions rather than fewer long sessions. it's better to do it five or ten or more times a day for a minute or two at a time than it is to try and make yourself sit still for half an hour or more. as for mindfulness, just watch your breath. it really is pretty easy.
>>
>>17992511
Really? Ten one minute sessions? How can anything be accomplished by this?

>>17992500
examples of mantra please

>>17992493
what have you achieved through meditation personally?
>>
>>17992602
The ability to recenter myself and clear away a kind of depression I sometimes get when I feel like everything I'm doing is a waste of time. It's helped me be psychologically healthier and deal with emotion more calmly. Meditation general is as much a learning tool for me as anyone, I'm definitely no expert. I just wanted to find more people interested in it.
>>
>>17992813
that sounds wonderful

I hope I can reach that level for myself, honestly. I am aware that what's good for the goose etc etc... But it would be nice to be able to master my headgame and counter depression.

One of my other motivations for meditation is to assist with my creativity (drawing and writing mostly). I get massive bolts of inspiration, wild untamed imagination; being able to wrangle it and perhaps summon forth a bolt on command would do wonders for my craft.

Cheers, mate.
>>
>just dont think bro haha
Right. Most of the world isnt braindead like you lot seem to be
>>
>>17988491
Ever since I started, meditating I mean, the number 23 has been popping up a lot, that mean anything? Sometimes the events are unfortunate and other times I just happen to check the time at **:23. The day that meant most was that I had a very scary feeling about the 23rd last month and that's when the dnc files leaked. Thoughts?
>>
>>17988628

People who tell you to look for particular results or experiences are full of shit. You shouldn't be looking to experience anything at all. In meditation we put that kind of thinking aside. It's not a problem if you are distracted or confused, it doesn't mean you are a bad meditator, nor is it a great matter if you feel light or a sense of oneness or start seeing Buddhas or whatever. One thing you learn after practicing meditation for a long time is that no matter what you go through, no matter how special or troubling, it passes. That in itself is a great relief, and allows us to enter life and meditation without expectations, without being hooked by particular sensations or impressions. This way is the one space where we are allowed to be free and at ease.
>>
>>17988835

Mindfulness in daily life is sustained by sitting meditation practice, it's like the branches of a tree being supported by the root. You take your experiences of daily life to the cushion so that you can better deal with them. Otherwise it tends to devolve into meandering intellectual nonsense.
>>
It's OK to think while you meditate, probably inevitable, just don't get lost in thought. What helps me is the realization that by the time I get around to consciously thinking about something, I've already finished the thought in my subconscious mind.
>>
>>17988609
Hey man, where you in a thread about this anon that lost his negative feelings just by wishing it?
If so, did you save the steps? thanks man
>>
>>17995739

Sorry I didn't screen cap
But I remember
He made a ritual way to do so
If I recall good he charge 2 objects to link his energy to it , for several days, by prayer, focusing and meditation.
Them he trow the one charge whit negative energies.
Anon in rituals you can and should make it meaningful for you.
>>
>>17988491
I used to meditate until I started having hallucinations.

First time it happened I heard a harmonic almost reverberating female voice say 'no repair'.
Second time I thought God was in my presence.
Third time I saw images.

Since meditation is a wholly subjective and personal experience for everyone I can't even ask or look up what the hell such things mean.

Anyways though.
>>17988492
http://selfdefinition.org/zen/Philip-Kapleau-Three-Pillars-of-Zen.pdf

Best book I've ever found on meditation, it helped me stay at it, but I stopped anyway from the weird occurrences. I don't feel like losing my mind because I begun hearing things that weren't there because I decided sitting still breathing and doing and thinking and being nothing was worthwhile.

It's not for everyone.
>>
>>17997117

I had hallucinations for a while early on in my Zen meditation practice. I would see faces in the wall i sat facing. My Zen teacher gave me some helpful advice, namely that it was just another mental occurence, nothing to pay any mind to or be unsettled by. We also discovered that my posture was incorrect which lead to strain, imbalance and bad oxygenation. Once corrected, they disappeared.

The three pillars of Zen is a good primer on Zen buddhism but a mediocre meditation guide. Too much empenlightenment talk. Something like The Art Of Just Sitting is much more helpful.
>>
>>17998413
*too much emphasis on the Rinzai way of stressing enlightenment to happen
>>
>>17988500
>If one does not actually posses the attention span, or patience to know the benefits of meditation, then they are most likely ACCIDENTAL THINKERS. Ironically, these people would benefit the greatest from meditation
can you expand on that?
>>
>>17993019
It's just one of many tests that come depending on how far you wanna go down the path. Its just your higher self giving you an opportunity to realize that not everything in life is at it seems and you should try to think more outside of the box. Take that as you will.
>>
>>17990083
You don't need to sit crosslegged to meditate. You can try walking meditation or sitting (on the chair) meditation, too.
>>
Heavy duty system coming through. Unless you're REALLY ready for cleaning up psychological gunk from your works, don't start with it. It can be quite overwhelming and unpleasant at times.
>>
File: undouing.jpg (201KB, 930x1440px) Image search: [Google]
undouing.jpg
201KB, 930x1440px
>>18001749

Forgot pic. I was, of course, referrring to Hyatt's system
>>
File: 450719197.jpg (39KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
450719197.jpg
39KB, 640x360px
I have been meditating for a couple months now. Usually when I meditate I don't really see anything, not even colors. But now I'm starting see really deep colors, green, purple, blue.
But the most interesting thing is, I started to see visions, and my vision is upside down. Or like I'm looking world as a reflection on a surface of water. Always it starts with human shadows/figures walking, in the upper right corner of my vision. People walking upside down. Then I see trees or clouds, sky etc.

It happens when I'm really deep, almost entering a dream. Usually I feel somehow exhausted when it happens, want to stop meditating and just sleep. Can anyone relate?
>>
>>18001785

>Can anyone relate?

Yes, i can. This is described by Krishnananda in his "Yoga of Meditation" (which is a good book) as process of consciousness pressing against various subtler samsaric and shaktik (natural) energies, or something along the lines.

Don't worry and keep meditating, it's really just mind trying out different things. It's not too keen on being tamed and can play many, many different tricks on you.
>>
>>17992488
>How often should one meditate in a day?
>Is there such a thing as overmeditation

This. Been wondering myself as I just renewed a daily practice two weeks ago.

I work out alot and love physical exercise, but there is only so much strain the body can be put under and eventually you have to take a day off.

Is the same to be said of the mind?
>>
>>17988562

Just sit in a comfortable position, begin with relaxing your body. Scan your body mentally, notice any parts of it that are tight and see if you can do anything to relax them. Spend some time looking at your body and you will be surprised how tight you may hold yourself.

Once your body is opened and relaxed, you can bring your attention to your breathing. Dont TRY to breath, just let yourself breath involuntarily, uncontrolled, and watch it. When you find yourself breathing in, mentally say "In" or "nam" for the duration of the in breath. When you find yourself breathing out, mentally say "out" or "sat" for the duration of the outbreath.

And thats about it. Just focus on your breathing. Try to 'live' in that moment and space of breath. There is much more there than you can now realize.

Your mind of course will generate many thoughts through the course of this. You will wonder about how long you have been meditating, thinking about what you will do when you are done, you may recall events that have transpired during the day or think of what will happen tommorrow. All of these are inevitable, and unavoidable. Do not try to force the mind to quiet itself. Intsead, simply do not feed any of these thoughts with attention. Be a still mountain, with these thoughts being clouds that simply pass you by. You will be still and centered, and the thoughts will continue going until they are gone.

Also, regarding to your out of body experience, do not try to generate this or any other spectacular event. You are not meditating to any end. There is no reward at play here. There is only the breath.
>>
File: 85c.jpg (29KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
85c.jpg
29KB, 500x500px
>bro just sit and breathe haha
>>
>>17993019
Jim Carrey posts on /x/?
>>
>>17992488
>>18001843
>Such thing as overmeditation

Yeah there is. Meditation has diminishing returns. If you force your meditation practice, then it is not really meditation anymore. You'll just be creating strain and holding it for an extended period of time.

You won't be able to let go into a state of samadhi.

It's the same as exercising too much and eventually injuring yourself. You're no longer exercising for health. Your exercising for results. That is a product of anxiety. And anxiety can't become meditation.

A few minutes of sincere sitting is better than hours of forceful sitting.

>Do YOU PERSONALLY create your happy zen place

There is no personally creating any space. This is where you don't do anything. Because doing is action and action is karma. The point of meditation is to pause. Not stop action, but step outside of it for moments at a time to experience what is beyond action.

Beyond action is beyond karma, that is your "zen place". But it's not a place you go to or a place you have to create. Zen is what already is, but you're just to busy with karma to see it. Meditation is about seeing that Zen is already the case here and now.
>>
How long do I have to meditate before I REALLY begin to feel the effects in my daily life? I know it probably differs from person to person but whats like an average?

A guru I watch on youtube said after 40 days of daily practice you will definitely be changed.
>>
>>18005311

If you're meditating for some "effects", never.

>A guru I watch on youtube

top kek
>>
>>18002917

>I'm so lazy and/or addicted to distractions instead of trying and practicing i'll just shitpost like it's something only pre-selected people can do

classic
>>
>>17993019
I get the same thing with 27, its been everywhere for years and its past the point of being a coincidence
>>
>>18005311
The first time you meditate you've already changed. Sure you might not achieve jhana or anything fancy, but who gives a fuck, you don't need to achieve anything fancy.
>>
Does anyone here do zhan zhuang?
I personally really like it, even though it may be harder to get into deep meditative states this way, I've still had some really good experiences.
>>
I use meditation to release muscle tension after a bodyweight workout and I've never had any of that voodoo mind shit happen. What are you litteral niggers on about.
>>
>>18005356
SAME POSTER AS BEFORE

I WAS BORN ON THE 27th

do do do de do do do do do do
(X files theme)

Seriously though that's fucking nuts, I would also say 27 but I felt as thought it was biased, 27 is two up from 25 and 23 two down. and both are three away from the nearest 0. Hmmmmmm. 2+3= 5, 2+5 = 7. Damn, this is gonna suck me in for a while

ALL HAIL THE 23, 25, 27 enigma!!
>>
>>18005311
Why not try it and see?

There is no average. Nobody can tell you anything about your own experience. Meditation is about your own subjective experience. You find out what's there to find.
>>
>>17988491
You should name this general /med/ of something buddy
>>
>>17998977
Alright, so, consider me 100% convinced, is there a limit? Also what exactly am I dealing with cause so far I've been sitting and turning my brain off and discovering truths and shit. All my chakras are aligned, and I finally almost had an out of body experience today. Any tips? Help?
>>
>>17988491
You sound so fucking pretentious.

fuck yourself and your slut of a mother with a blunted machete

meditate on that you insipid cunt
>>
>>17998413
>>17998415
Enlightenment IS the goal of meditation. Those who meditate to fight depression or to clear their head for a few minutes a day are probably wasting their time.
>>
>>17992984
You're ignorant as fuck
>>
>>17998529
Not him, but regular meditation practice quickly leads to being able to filter out and quiet the chaotic mind chatter that takes up our brainpower and instead focus it on intentionally directed thought. People who have a natural predisposition for heavy thought, the kind that are generally labeled "geniuses," would greatly benefit from meditation practice because of how much they're already capable of without it, but due to the western world's intellectualism culture dismissing meditation as hokum and woo-woo, they're unlikely to give it a fair shot.

I remember not too long ago there was a lot of hype about "Geniux" pills and people like Stephen Hawking were endorsing them and calling them revolutionary, but the effects they were so astounded by were the same kind of results I got after a week of practicing meditation when I first started.
>>
>>18010337
Eventual goal? Without a doubt. Only possible goal or benefit? Absolutely not.
>>
>>17988562
The more techniques, the more is between you and the meditative state you are looking for. Just observe the breath, the more you do of this the less there is of everything else. Have fun loving the now.
>>
>>17988628
Nothing is found by meditating, so if you enjoy the nothing meditation is the way. Have fun in the now.
>>
>>17990083
Hi. As long as you have the intent to force out the unpeaceful mental formations you will have an ongoing fight with them, and that does not sound like a peaceful mind even if you win that battle

It is your "monkeybrain" that keeps talking, just give it the simple job of observing your breath and you are left alone to enjoy the now.

I would suggest not focusing on where to look, how to sit and for how long.
>>
>>17988491
>How can anybody here even pretend to be spiritual without meditation of a regular basis?
Nobody here is spiritual we just come here for the spooks
>>
Don't you die on me
>>
>>18012246
spooks turned spiritual to me.
>>
>>18014328
H
>>
Ive been meditating for about 2 weeks straight now since deciding to straighten my life out. Ive slowly increased the meditation time each sit from 10 minutes to now about 26 minutes. Its definitely become a lot easier for me to get relaxed, and I dont think about the time as much so long as my body is comfortable.

I just try to focus on the breath and nothing else, and when I notice my mind wandering I gently bring the attention back to my breathing.

One weird thing that happens is every once in a while when I find myself really in the moment and in tune with my breathing, I feel a short, maybe second-long sensation, like a shot of energy that travels from my butt all the way up my spine. It honeslty kinda feels like an orgasm, but spread throughout my body instead of just in my dick. Has anyone else experienced this before? Is it kundalini?
>>
>>18001852
Pretty much this
>>
>>18014638
Stop fooling yourself, you're baiting for the reply, "Yes, it's kundalini".
You cannot expect this to happen in a long time, and unfortunately the idea of it will hinder your spiritual progress. Let it go, brother.
>>
>>18014638
No, this sensation comes from relaxing the muscles in your crotch area. You'll find that tensing the muscles rids you of the sensation.
>>
>>18010337

Enlightenment is not a matter of achieving a goal

Meditation should be done for its own sake
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.