[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Appalaichan Region

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

File: appalaichan.gif (13KB, 273x260px) Image search: [Google]
appalaichan.gif
13KB, 273x260px
How is this area spooky?

I see people in threads saying spooky stuff happens in the Appalaichans, but what is it?
Is there a certain area worse than the rest?
>>
It's know for having rural communities throughout the length of time humans have inhabited it. This has led to many localized superstitions and legends to flourish within the mountains which these people lived. I have hiked it in various places and have friends who have done the whole thing straight. Beautiful scenery with an ominous presence
>>
>>17986268
Nothing is spookier than Incest clans
>>
File: image.jpg (588KB, 1251x1900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
588KB, 1251x1900px
>>17986268
Hi anon, I used to work for a tv station in southern WV.

Pic related is my original story. It's true and stick to it to this day. Was about 8 years ago now.

This is why
>>
>>17986268

I live in Appalachia. Shits so cash.
>>
>>17986471
Wow great read, thanks for sharing
>>
I live in WV and went to Virginia a lot over the mountains

>well maintained roads over the mountains
but
>no cell phone reception
>the people you can ask for help are all retirees or mountain rednecks

I always pick a little bit of survival gear in case my car breaks down up there
>>
Well I don't want this to die so I'll just recap new shit:

Ken Gerhard was on Darkness Radio last week and claimed that two witnesses, one in North Georgia and another just outside Atlanta, claimed to have seen a terrasaur-like creature flying above Georgia earlier this year.

My favorite cryptids are thunderbirds and probably the most likely cryptid to exist. Atavism and all that.
>>
>>17986318
that deliverance shit really gives me the heebie jeebies
>>
>>17986586
There's actually a radio silent zone in the back end of WV. Pretty much all emissions are banned. People who think they're sensitive to RF congregate in little villages. Some of them are totally batshit.
>>
>>17986868

Meh. They're generally harmless. I live a few minutes from the start of banjo music country. People get unnerved by being around black people after all.

Anyways I'll keep it going.

If you want the scariest drive of your life, take the road to the top of Red Top Mountain at Lake Allatoona in Georgia. It's largely wilderness with a few designated campgrounds but it is pitch fucking black at night and nothing by woods all around.

And it's not like any other dark, secluded road at night. Those roads still get light from the moon and stars. But this road is covered by massive pines all around, forming a canopy impenetrable to light. It is the darkest spot outside of a cave I have ever been. Various sightings of Bigfoot in the area going back decades.

North Georgia has a lot of Bigfoot sightings, which is flanked from west to east with the Appalachians. It's creepy at night but gorgeous in the day.

Another creepy drive is Hwy 74 just east of Andrews, NC going towards Nantahala (which is absolutely beautiful). Basically you go from a 4 lane highway with a huge divider to a massive forest at the base of a mountain range that's heavily wooded. The highway shifts to 2 lanes right fucking between two massive rock patches and the start of the tree line. Almost like you're entering a forest gate.

Anyways, Im not going to give the run of the mill stories/legends (but they are great!) but my own personal knowledge. But if you want a good legend, here's my current fav:

The White Bluff Screamer

http://blufwatch.tripod.com/wblegends.html
>>
I've got a distant relative through marriage that was basically the devil back in the 10s or 20s. They said he was so wild and mean that even the Sheriff wouldn't go near him. I heard that one time he cut a little boy's dick off with a pair of scissors and the boy died. He raped and beat his daughters and oldest son, who was my cousin's grandfather. His youngest daughter gave birth to a baby that was his and after it was born he cut the umbilical cord loose with a jack knife and carried it off into the mountains on his horse. Eventually his oldest daughter fell in love with a man who was good to her. He was scared of the old man too. When he found out what the old man had been doing to the girl he shot him dead through a door in their house and he died there.

My great grandparents eventually had to move onto the land and farm tobacco there.

There's devils in the mountains. They make men mean.
>>
>>17986933
Also I'm originally from Marshall NC, near the border with Tennessee.
>>
>>17986933
Back when men were men and you weren't a slave to the law

Sounds like a cool relative
>>
>>17986953

wat
>>
>>17986268
Depends on where exactly you are in Appalachia
in the section I'm familiar with, Northern Shenandoah Valley, there were a few civil war battles fought there L, some plantations, typical shit where you would expect to see some shit, but when I lived there a guy I worked with told me that the bridge into Edinburg, VA is haunted
>>
>>17986471
I work at a independent owned and operated local TV station in Appalachia (eastern PA). Cool read, can def relate to how creepy the late shifts can be especially on a mountain in the woods.

We don't use walkie talkies, but my coworker got a bizarre voicemail with his own voice having a conversation he can't remember. Also a staticy message that kept repeating something that sounded like "brown brick driveway" over and over again, along with other garbled voices ones. He also sees shadowy figures pass by his office all the time, to the point where he's thought they were his subordinate coming back from lunch. When he goes and checks up on them there is no one in the office. This same thing has happened to me in his office before also. I was talking to him standing in his doorway and saw someone walk into Rick's office next door. After our convo I went to say hi to Rick and no one was in the office. This is probably one of the only bizarre things that has ever happened to me.

We're a pretty high powered station (we broadcast in about a 50 mile radius) and the tower is on site, so we always joke our fears away by saying our brains are being rotted by the radiowaves.

Also, we have at least 6 dishes on our roof and I've never seen one give out like you described (I've worked there 7 years). We even have an old one that hasn't been in use for over 10 years that hasn't given out.
>>
>>17986471
anything since?
>>
>>17987220
In nearly a decade coming here you're the only other anon I've ever met that works in TV.

While I worked there I had seen and heard other things. In fact I heard and saw a lot of things I couldn't explain in southern WV. In my post I specified that it was the only paranormal experience I ever had. I should have said it was the only direct encounter I ever had that I had an effect on, something that lasted, something that followed me and stuck with me, but I saw lots of things in southern WV growing up there.

>Also, we have at least 6 dishes on our roof and I've never seen one give out like you described

Never seen anything like it before or since. We had two ABC network receivers, A and B, main and backup. I'm an operator and not an engineer, I couldn't tell you jack about the mechanisms that make dishes move, but I can tell you that when they're not moving they're static. Our ABC A dish had two modes, "Lock" which was ABC controlled and "local" where we could move it to sweep snow out if need be. When I say it slipped out of lock it means that when we went to move it back to "lock" it was on manual. A switch had literally been flipped, it fell, and no motor caught it. My boss didn't know what to make of it. It was insane.
>>
I hiked the Georgia section. I don't believe in too much to do with evil hauntings or demons or anything, but there's some interesting history around here. Here's some interesting stuff for /x/ travelers and outdoorsy people, because I love to incorporate them together.

>Cryptid supposedly here called Tailypo, but that's an old story and it's pretty impossible something could be undiscovered in the GA section. Also when I google it, furries are into it for some reason, lel
>Blood Mountain is the highest point on the GA AT, near Slaughter Creek. The names come from a battle between Creek and Cherokee with Cherokee victory, I believe. It's also some of the most beautiful views, especially in fall or spring (but takes a hike to the top.)
>A romantic place to visit is Nacoochee Mound, which is basically the story of Romeo and Juliet for Indians. Supposedly, the daughter of a chief fell in love with the son of a clan that they were in conflict with. After some rough tides they killed themselves, and the tribes mourned, buried them in the mound and made peace.
>Fort Mountain State Park has some strange ruins on top of it of a stone wall, but nobody knows who put it there. Cherokee have a legend that says a strange pale race of short people who couldn't see during certain moon phases built it (literally "Moon-Eyed People"), and they figured out their weakness and wiped them out. The wall was used as a honeymoon spot for Cherokee after that point. Some settlers spread the rumor it was a pre-Columbian Welsh explorer who built it
>Rock Pile Road is supposedly cursed. A Cherokee witch discovered the fountain of youth, but was kidnapped by a warrior. She killed herself and was buried here. Indians and later travelers throw rocks on top of it to make a cairn, where it's very bad luck to take a stone, but good to leave one. When the road came through they wanted to demolish it but after several people died of accidents as they approached, they went around
>>
>>17989058
Also, I'm sure you have to deal with the spooky history of psychos who murder hikers. My family almost had to deal with that, found out only later.

>be 8 or 10 years old (time flies)
>camping at Blood Mountain Cabin Rentals
>go to the shop and central building where the owner and his wife and pets live
>talk a while, notice a drifter-looking dude in the corner
>hired him to do stuff like cleaning and painting
>enjoy our trip and leave

We found out a week after we got back home who he was

>he lured a woman back to his place because he saw she had a dog, said he was a dog person
>tortured her and then cut her head off
>he could've been right outside our cabin at night

The trail has a big history with hikers, so naturally if you're a psychotic killer, it'd be easy to cruise up and down, pick up hitchers and drifters, and nobody would be any the wiser, particularly if they tell you they're through-hikers and will take like 2 years to finish the whole thing.
>>
>>17989092

Bullshit.

You're speaking of the death of Meredith Emerson by Gary Hilton. Your story has a shit ton of inconsistencies that go against how that murder occurred.

Mainly that Hilton parked his van at the trailhead and literally waited for others to leave the area before kidnapping Emerson. He kept her alive for 72 hours. They didn't find her body for 6 days. Second, he was reported to be in the Dawson WMA up until the day of the attack, over an hour away. He wasn't chilling out at the reported "Blood Mountain Cabin Rentals".
>>
Spooby civil war ghosties
>>
>>17986586
virginias have terrible roads
>>
>>17989235
Nigga I was like 8 and I already have a shit memory, this is just what my parents told me.
>>
>>17989246
Not really, depends on where you are
>>
I lived in Southwestern Virginia for a few years. I didn't believe in ghosts before but by the time I left I definitely did. I've shared my experiences here before, but I'll keep this short unless someone asks for more details. I saw a giant fucking blue orb outside my bedroom window shortly after I got there. Disembodied footsteps around my apartment complex were common (I spent one summer there while everyone else had gone home. There was literally not one other person in the whole complex but I would hear footsteps and banging around all the time. When I went to investigate, nobody was ever there.) Last creepy thing I ever saw there was a strange green-colored cat thing with huge glowing yellow eyes in my apartment. I only saw it for a moment before it vanished (as in stopped being visible, not ran off somewhere).

Made good friends with a guy from West Virginia while I was there. Appalachian hoodoo is best hoodoo. He said it has something to do with there being a veil between worlds, and the veil needing energy from humans in order to be sustained. Where you have low population densities is therefore where the veil is thinnest. I think there's something to that.

Also, the locals believe in ghosts. Not in the fun "Oh man that's so scary teehee" way that most of us do, but they view paranormal activity as more of a natural phenomenon because it happens so often around there. It's just something that happens occasionally that they have to live with and they don't have particularly strong feelings about it. Sometimes it rains. Sometimes it's hot. Sometimes you have to put up with a ghost. Coming from the suburbs, it struck me as an odd way to look at it at first, but now that I've been there I realize how logical a defense mechanism from the constant weird shit it is.
>>
>>17989058
>Tailypo
Oh shit. I remember the teacher reading that story to the class when I was in kindergarten, really scared the fuck out of me.
>>
>>17986888
Whats RF?
>>
>>17989305
radio frequencies
>>
>>17989259

If you were 8 (this happened in 2008) the you're fucking underage. Consult the global rules newfag.
>>
>>17989310
Cheers, do people here believe supernatrual phenomena is as common to our planet/universe/reality as we are or is it more likely to be along the lines of, nd i quote >>17989276

>He said it has something to do with there being a veil between worlds, and the veil needing energy from humans in order to be sustained. Where you have low population densities is therefore where the veil is thinnest
>>
>>17989313
>he can remember the exact age he was when things happen

I have no concept of time and I'm 21. Just felt younger.
>>
>>17989276
Fellow Virginia here, where in southwest is this? I assume your complex was a dorm or student housing since you said that the entire complex was empty during the summer, is this correct?
>>
>>17989325
I believe the idea of lay-lines or something similar, just strong centers of energy or focus where strange things often occur.
>>
>>17989351
I was in Buchanan County, Lee County, and Wise County during that time. At the time, nearly every apartment in Buchanan County was rented by law or pharmacy students, so I was the only one in that building for the summer, yes.
>>
>>17989359
and do yoiu believe these stay uniform or do they search about?
>>
>>17989276
I lived in Henrico, VA for about 8 months, the shit I saw still blows my mind, if there was ever a haunted state, its VA.
>>
>>17989325
You pretty much hit it on the head, it's viewed as...not commonplace, but just something that happens. It's not exactly viewed as common, but it isn't UNcommon enough for it to be regarded as pure fantasy. It's like something that's still out of place, but it's something that you learn to coexist with and carry on in spite of. I'm not sure how to make it any clearer, so I hope it comes across. Most everyone there has either seen something themselves or has a credible relative or friend that has seen something. Most youngsters in the region strike out on their own in more urban areas because there's no prospects in rural Appalachia. The old people who stick around and have been there their whole lives are the ones who've seen the most shit, so it's mainly them who teach the younger folks not to freak out about it when and if it happens to them, just like old people teach young people anything else about life.
>>
>>17989367
>Wise County

Yeah I have heard about some shit out there
>>
>>17989377
what up RVAbro? Cfield here, I hear all kinds of crazy shit about shadow people and ghosts around the old Winterpock mines, what have you heard/dealt with in Henrico?
>>
>>17989395
I have one really fucking scary story that still makes me kind of goosebump up that I can tell if anyone wants.
I've seen everything from orbs to shadowpeople, hearing things running around the apartment building I lived in, weird sounds hiking at Belle Isle and in the mountains, I have never experienced that kind of shit outside of that god-forsaken state.
>>
>>17989374
I think they tend to stick to general areas, because some places just have a lot of strange things all through time, though again its not like I know anything for sure.

there's something about isolated wild areas though that always have strange things going on, like mountains or deep old growth forests.

we have to remember that all the plants in the forest are equally as alive as we are, and that they function on a completely different time scale than we do. a forest is a gigantic living mass where everything is infused with life, in some forests this life can have a lifespan in the centuries or millennia.
not even taking paranormal into account, I think we have a general lack of respect for non-animal life, even less for non-vertebrate life or non-mammalian. the study of plants along similar lines as we study animals and their mental processes is woefully underdeveloped, but what we have discovered is amazing. plants are not inanimate growths and are far more aware of their environments than we give them credit.

I think this is one reason why pagans had such respect for old trees
>>
>>17989374
That wasn't me, but if you're going to gethung up on the hoodoo, it supposedly works like this:

The veil is all-encompassing. It's essentially just an invisible barrier that separates the realm of the living from what I'll call the spirit realm for lack of a better term. Think of it like a curtain on a stage. Sometimes you can see it flutter from all of the people moving around behind it before they put on their performance. His theory was that energy from human beings sustained the veil, and that in areas of lower population, the veil was weaker and thus it was easier to get glimpses to the other side, or even to penetrate the veil altogether.

There were also times of the day and year when the veil was weaker than other times. Namely, 3:00 AM was when the veil was at its weakest on any given day, while 3:00 PM was when it was at its strongest. (I went through several months where I would wake up around 3:00 AM regularly out of a deep sleep with my heart feeling like it was going to pound through my chest. I once nearly went to the hospital because I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I didn't make the connection between that and what he said until long after I moved from there.) What had more of an effect was the time of year. The veil was at its thinnest on Halloween, and at its strongest on Walpurgisnacht. From Walpurgisnacht to Halloween it grew a little thinner each day. From Halloween to Walpurgisnacht it grew a little stronger. The time of year had a greater effect on the veil's properties than the time of day.
>>
>>17989414
I'm interested, tell it man
>>
>>17986471
do you think the ghost was referencing a christian heaven/hell?
>>
>>17989452
I had moved in with my gf at the time in Henrico, we were living in town houses that were in blocks of 3, spaced then another block of 3 and so on and so forth. Each "block" let out onto a common greens area that all of them backed up to, was the size of a few football fields that backed up into a stand of woods at the end of the property line. Also important was that each block of houses shared a crawl space, so it was empty storage underneath the houses.
My gf had a great hound dog that I took for walks every day, named Stella. One evening like 10 or 11pm I was walking her and had ended up near the woods at the end of our property. We heard weird noises/rustling from it and Stella started growling and getting her hackles raised, I figured it was a raccoon or squirrel so turned us around to go home. 1/2
>>
File: Appalachian-Mountains.jpg (273KB, 550x368px) Image search: [Google]
Appalachian-Mountains.jpg
273KB, 550x368px
>>17986268
i camp in central PA at minimum once a year
just typical spooky woods shit
some characters really give off the "hey nice skin maybe let me wear it a bit" vibe but im obviously still alive.
theyre just secluded weird as shit people
cant say much for anywhere else in the range though
>>
>>17989474
2/2
We're going back to the house and passing by the crawl space (which I forgot to mention is boarded up) to find it was suddenly sans board.
I thought it was weird, but figured they were doing repairs or something and just didn't tell us.
Suddenly the air starts getting much, much colder then it ought to be on a June night and I see Stella starting to do that real scary growl, pulling her lips back, snarling, looking like she has suddenly become a wild animal. By now I think its an animal and want to get away before we're attacked when I hear something coming from the crawlspace.
>sounds like a child pleading and begging
My hair is all standing up, my body doesn't even feel like its connected to me, hear something coming closer to us from the depths of the space.
Grab the dog and fucking haul ass back into my apartment, gibber out the story to gf, she doesn't believe me, sleep like shit that night and go to the front office the next day.
All the people look at me like I'm insane, I'm really fucking scared still 12 hours later, few days later its boarded up again. Never walk towards crawl space or woods ever again, I dunno if I've ever been so scared in my damn life.
>>
>>17986268
It isn't.
>>
>>17989328

>remember

Luckily the dates haven't changed like his memory. Great fucking point.
>>
>>17989420
nice to see some real conversation on x
>>
>>17989436
Who is he? also I can never quite believe that this ethereal supernatrual world would obey/coinicde with our calendars/times/dates or events like haloween etc unless it was tied to some sort of inherent Human psyche or consciousness that is more awakened at these times due to hysteria or whatever
>>
>>17986910
I hike red top all the time, never seen anything spooky
>>
>>17989386
>>17989386
Cool man I live in Scotland in a city so no cool happenings here and I think my lack of experiences is what makes me so intrigued in the whole subject, dont believe in ghosts per se but i do believe in the paranormal
>>
>>17986953
>cringe
>>
>>17989666

Drive up at night. It's awesome.
>>
>>17986268
I lived there till I was 8, and it wasn't that spoopy, just kinda foggy in the morning and had pretty shitty weather.
>>
>>17986471
WVVA or 59 News?
>>
This is kinda unrelated since it's on the west coast but it's said the walnut
creek area of California is said to be home to some terrifying creatures, including
the ones from native american lore.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.