[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Morphic Resonance thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: sheldrake.jpg (10KB, 220x256px) Image search: [Google]
sheldrake.jpg
10KB, 220x256px
Who else believes this guy? Anyone versed in his ideas? Can someone tell me how exactly would there be a morphgenic field?
>>
I've known at least one microbiologist who did. It's an interesting theory.

Have you seen, Trialogues at the Edge of the West? You'll see that Ralph Abraham also takes him seriously.
>>
>>17981963
>>17982042
https://youtu.be/vv2g3vyvxO4 trialouge with Terrence McKenna, Ralph abarham and Rupert Sheldrake.

I think Rupert's idea is based on genetic memory, but he believes that there is some form of consciousness involved in the memory and it extends beyond inheritance, more similar to jungian's concept of mass consciousness. Only Rupert believes that it's species related.

Some evidence for this is the hundredth monkey effect (supposedly debunked) and scientific discoveries being found by separate scientists without the sharing or communication of any data. I believe he has better examples of this also.

Other scientists will ates that genetic memory is just simply a necessity of evolution and the reason we developed brains was to better interact with the world because they can store and process a lot more information then genes.
>>
>>17981963
I think its how we develop instincts
>>
>>17982221
>I think Rupert's idea is based on genetic memory

It explains crystallization of proteins, too, so if there is anything to the idea, it is more than genetics.
>>
I like his ideas. Listen to his podcast with Joe Rogan where he gives a lot more good examples.

We can also thank Dr. Sheldrake for helping reveal that James Randi is a fraud, just like his million dollar challenge. When someone asked Randi about an experiment Rupert did about dogs knowing when their owners are coming home, Randi said, "we looked into that and there is nothing to it". So Rupert, being the earnest guy he is, inquired as to what research Randi and his foundation had done, not because Rupert was trying to defend himself, but because he was genuinely interested that someone else had looked into this and wanted to see what kind of data they had. No response from Randi. Radio silence. Until Rupert used some of his academic connections, and some of the people on the Randi foundation's board told Randi he must respond to Rupert. So Randi did respond, and said that they had not actually looked into this, that neither Randi nor anyone at his foundation had even watched the video showing Rupert's research, and that Randi's definition of "we looked into it" was that he had a friend who claimed he observed his own dog for a couple of weeks and didn't think his dog knew when he was coming home. So no one ever won the million dollar challenge, because it was rigged from the start. Next time you hear someone say psychic functioning or the paranormal doesn't exist because they would have taken Randi's challenge, you can know for certain that whoever said that doesn't know jack about whatever the topic is. There are plenty of other stories about Randi that are super sketchy. But Rupert is a really genuine guy. His ideas are controversial, and unfortunately science is a giant bureaucracy where everyone is worried about their pay checks way more than they are interested in researching anything controversial and discovering something new.
>>
Rupert also debated with the scoffer Richard Wiseman. The ironically named Wiseman ends up saying something to the effect of, psychic functioning has been proven to the same extent as all other accepted science, and that means we need to reexamine the standards of science. These are the fools who are most aggressively against Sheldrake. None of them have any scientific evidence against Sheldrake's work. They just commit fraud and say idiotic things to try and discredit him, and meanwhile Rupert seems just fine to entertain their discussions.
>>
>>17981963

His ideas are pretty useless to the average mind but once you've got a grasp of all the important basics of science and go down the physics route, his ideas support some other major scientific ideas.
>>
>>17983807
Such as...?
>>
>>17981963
I believe this is related to Entanglement theory
>>
>>17983764

Randi declined ever hearing about Chico Xavier (inspiration for the X-Men's "Charles Xavier" character), which at the time was the world's most famous psychic and had performed thousands upon thousands of seemingly impossible feats. Xavier still has a massive following in Brazil, and when he died someone recorded a weird light leaving his hospital window
>>
I like 999.
>>
Morphogenesis is fucking cool. There's a prof at my school who studies it with some crazy microscope that generates TB of data timelapsing zygotes moving around.
>>
Pseudoscience.
>>
>>17988895
if hes getting results from his studies that have a low p value or are above chance, how is it pseudoscience? It's no more pseudoscience then psychology is, as psychology has similarly designed studies.
>>
File: EN7QWUl.jpg (296KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
EN7QWUl.jpg
296KB, 1024x768px
>>17981963
Anyone played this? Oddly enough I'm playing right now and stumbled on this thread

This game talks a lot about this shit
>>
>>17982221
>hundredth monkey effect
What is this?
>>
>>17990361
Its just something about Bruce Willis eating spiders.
Really, you don't wanna know
>>
>>17990361
It was an observation made in the mid 1900s by some Japanese scientists who witnessed a certain tribe of monkeys on an island that started to wash their sweet potatoes, rather then eating them dirty. Supposedly after a certain threshold of monkeys (100) started to do this he witnessed other monkeys on another island, (completely separated from the first island) started to exhibit the same behaviour, pretty soon the majority of the monkeys followed suit.

So initially somehow two separate tribes exhibited the same behavior without any form of communication or interaction

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundredth_monkey_effect
>>
>>17982221
Dear god... start at 3:04:00 (3rd hour, 4th minute). Terrance Mckenna, whom I've heard of but never read or listened to, describes the folly of the next generation. He hits the cause of the degradation of the advancement of our species right on the head.

Ralph Abraham is a Calc professor who is asked what is wrong with the educational system. A heavy point he rests on is the creation of mathematical anxiety and avoidance imposed on the burgeoning youth by the educational system. The destruction of mathematical impowerment in youths.

McKenna steps in to clarify to the audience what Ralph is getting at.

"The great evil that has been allowed to flourish in the absence of mathematical understanding is relativism. What is relativism? That there is no difference between shit and shineola. That all ideas are some how operating on equal footing... We have been taught that political correctness demands that we treat all these things with equal weight. Because we have no mathematical ability, no logical ability, we do not know how to ask the questions that expose some positions as preposterous, trivial, and unworthy of repetition."

I agree. Pointing hard at relativism removes all hint of protection ones own ideals and thoughts are based on. It's scary. McKenna was a huge pot head and that itself invites many to criticize him but there in lies the mathematical logic of open discourse. This opens debate compared to the shutting down of debate that political correctness affords the foolish.
>>
Love this guy.Hugely underrated. He is completely right about science. Also read Prof Madeline Ennis rebuttals of his "amazing" debunking of her homeopathy trials. Guy is a crap of the highest order who is trying to punish bad mr religions for not letting him come out IMHO. Likewise card trick merchant and Wisemann pal Derp Brown.
>>
- Above post: Randi is the crap
>>
>>17991264
McKenna has his fair share of shining moments of prophecy like the one you mentioned. Great speaker
>>
>>17991264
>Ralph Abraham is a Calc professor

Nope. lrn2history!
>>
File: akane crying.png (251KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
akane crying.png
251KB, 512x384px
>>17988759
>>17990339
Saddest sudoku of my life.
>>
File: i dont even.png (2MB, 1079x1205px) Image search: [Google]
i dont even.png
2MB, 1079x1205px
>>17992173
>Ralph Abraham is not a Calc professor. Lrn2history lolololol

Why would you lie about this?

It took me two seconds to find out he's been a Professor of Mathematics and teaches Calc at Santa Cruz since 1968. Just like he says in the 3 hour talk I listened to.

He's written math textbooks.

>http://www.ralph-abraham.org/
>>
>>17982299
Praise Kek
>>
>>17992173
Autist.
>>
>>17993192
>Why would you lie about this?

Because you don't even know who Ralph is. He's one of the father's of modern chaos theory. That's what he's famous for, not calculus.
>>
>>17995321
>Ralph Abraham is a Calc professor
>hur dur nope
>.. yes he is here's his website. Why'd you lie?
>because he's more than just a Calc professor.

Oh! kek. You are joking ironically by demonstrating the same lack of logic that Abraham and Mckenna were talking about. I thought you were serious and missed the joke.
>>
>>17981963
>Morphic Resonance
die in real life please
>>
Look for his video where he completely blows Logical Positivism and "peer" reviewed scientism the fuck out

aeons from now this guy will have bronze statues erected in his memory
>>
>>17997138
>die
Wouldn't matter. Spirit goes back into the morphic field. Obviously.
>>
>>17997156
Is this the banned Ted talk, or something else?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.