[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/pagan/ general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

File: lammassickle.gif (13KB, 216x225px) Image search: [Google]
lammassickle.gif
13KB, 216x225px
Fellow pagans, it is Lughnasadh, also known as Lammas! The harvest has begun as we finish the final days of summer and prepare for the winter ahead. How are you celebrating?

I baked bread, the first piece of which I will leave as offering at my shrine. Tomorrow I think I'll attempt some sort of divination.
>>
File: Tricephale_Carnavalet.jpg (150KB, 480x808px) Image search: [Google]
Tricephale_Carnavalet.jpg
150KB, 480x808px
>>17978205
>Lughnasadh is mentioned in some of the earliest Irish literature and is believed to have polytheist origins. The festival itself is named after the god Lugh. It involved great gatherings that included religious ceremonies, ritual athletic contests (most notably the Tailteann Games), feasting, matchmaking and trading. There were also visits to holy wells. According to folklorist Máire MacNeill, evidence shows that the religious rites included an offering of the first of the corn, a feast of the new food and of bilberries, the sacrifice of a bull and a ritual dance-play. Much of this would have taken place on top of hills and mountains.

>Lughnasadh customs persisted widely until the 20th century, with the event being variously named 'Garland Sunday', 'Bilberry Sunday', 'Mountain Sunday' and 'Crom Dubh Sunday'. The custom of climbing hills and mountains at Lughnasadh has survived in some areas, although it has been re-cast as a Christian pilgrimage. The best known is the 'Reek Sunday' pilgrimage to the top of Croagh Patrick on the last Sunday in July. A number of fairs are also believed to be survivals of Lughnasadh, for example the Puck Fair. Since the later 20th century, Celtic neopagans have observed Lughnasadh, or something based on it, as a religious holiday. In some places, elements of the festival have been revived as a cultural event.
>>
>>17978205
are u virgin xdd
>>
>>17978205
Lammas/Lughnasadh is tomorrow.
>>
>>17978272
In recent years it's been moved to the closest sunday to the 1st. I'm going to celebrate from today until aug 2 (the new moon)
>>
>>17978205

um, ok question:

I was always told that the word "pagan" simply refers to any religion which worships more than a single god. you seem to be using it as an actual name for a particular religion. what's up with that?
>>
File: C_Pippin_01.jpg (30KB, 600x240px) Image search: [Google]
C_Pippin_01.jpg
30KB, 600x240px
>>17978205
>Lammas
Lembas?
>>
>>17979539
I assume it's because most European themed Neo Pagan religions celebrate some form of the above posted holiday, they all call themselves pagans, etc.
>>
>>17979539
Depends on the context. I'm referring to pre-Christian European polytheists, aka Greek, Roman, Baltic, Celtic, and Germanic polytheists. The word's been used and abused in many ways but it comes from rural people (from Latin pagus - small administrative district) and came to mean country bumpkins who stuck to the old religion and didn't convert to Christianity like the city folk
>>
bump
>>
Quick question for someone just starting to read about paganism, do the masculine and feminine have a preferred side? Like, is right more masculine or feminine than left? Or does it not matter at all?
>>
>>17981680
Doesn't really matter, that's a very new age kind of idea. It's ironic that when wiccans make a big deal about the masculine/feminine duality they take that idea from 19th century occultists, who got it from Christianity and Zoroastrians.

What I can say is that some things are delegated to the domain of women, and some things to the domain of men. Agriculture has always been personified as feminine while war for example is masculine.
>>
>>17978205
>How are you celebrating
The same way I celebrate all high holidays of the year, with sexual magick.
>>
>>17981822
Awesome, thanks friend
>>
itt neckbeard autistic manchildren
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.