[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Childhood Rituals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

I was a fearful child. I think most childen are.

Imagination was different back then. It was an active part of reality. If I thought hard enough about something I could usually see a shadow of that thing on a noisy surface, like a carpeted wall or even in the visual noise I saw when I closed my eyes. Imagination made things real enough to act on. I once had a panic attack because I thought the house was going to burn down after conjuring a vivid image of a sailor man engulfed by flames in the hallway leading to my room. I ran out in the garden and refused to go inside for a long time.

Fear was different back then. The terrors were at the same time unreal and way too real. On some level I knew it was bullshit but on another level it was just so real, so imminent. The sailor man would bring fire to our house.

The sheer power that imagination has on a child's mind is enough to make the threat of those terrors unbearable. And you're just a child, so there's not much you can do, you would be helpless against them if they were to materialize.

So we made rituals. Big and small, simple and elaborate, to keep the terrors from materializing. Doesn't matter as long as they gave us some sense of control.

A classic example is checking under the bed for the monster before going to sleep. Maybe a particular parent had to do it.

So I invite you to share your rituals from when you were a child that protected you from the terrors, if you can remember them.
>>
Sorry for the weird grammar. I'm tired.

I remember I used to have a ritual where I casually made my mother (or grandmother if I slept over at her place) tell me "good night" before going to bed. It had to be "good night", not "nighty nighty", not "sleep tight", but "good night".

I couldn't just straight up tell them why it had to be that way, and if I told them "good night" and they responded with something different I repeated "good night" until I got the same back.

The reason for this, of course, was because if my mother or grandmother told me "good night", that meant that they had an obligation to make sure that I had a good night, and so I was safe from them murdering me in my sleep.
>>
>>17967559
Fapping furiously worked wonders for me.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.