[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why am I me? Why was I not born a Pterodactyl in the Jurassic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10

File: 1461111302656.jpg (120KB, 1022x865px) Image search: [Google]
1461111302656.jpg
120KB, 1022x865px
Why am I me?

Why was I not born a Pterodactyl in the Jurassic Period 200 million years ago?

Why was I not born as a termite in the 15th century in Western Europe?

Why was I not born in another galaxy far away, on another planet capable of supporting conscious life?

Why am I not a jellyfish, RIGHT NOW, in the ocean?

Why am I alive right now? Shouldn't I-statistically speaking-be dead right now? How many lives have come before me? Trillions upon trillions upon trillions (if you take into account all life in the universe). So why right now? I should be long, long, long dead by now.

Why am I a male human being in the United States on Earth in what we call 2016? When I die will this random dream finally be over so I can rest like the trillions of insects that have come before me (and the millions that have died by the time you're done reading this post)?
>>
File: image.png (109KB, 400x270px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
109KB, 400x270px
>>17961534
Dude, you're still awake.
We already answered this for you over here >>>/sci/8229977

Let's see how it goes this time on /x/
>>
>>17961534
lol I dunno.
>>
>>17961534
Because time passes and life reproduces. It really is that simple.
>>
>>17961534
Because your parents had sex. Even without a body or form there you would be, but now instead of a photon bouncing between infinite mirrors you are neurons and chemical processes. You were probably the Pterodactyle, the termite, the jellyfish. It all depends on where you sustain the energy and focus of your attention. Humans have a resonance that keeps your attention near your body. I believe as we advance in evolutionary complexity our awareness is able to mold and form the physical and mental processes that make us living beings. Greater soul complexity will allow more conscious control of your energetic processes. Soon, perhaps within ten thousand years we will have control over the physical properties of matter, and our bodies formed wholly by our minds to be taken up or discarded at will like a vehicle.
>>
>>17961637
>time passes
>time
>passes

Ha, don't be dense, time is a system used to measure the rotation of one body around another. Time does not actually exist. What does is the flow of energy, hence why the speed of light is the fastest possible speed. Spacetime is a myth, and a really wide spred one at that. Without the flow of energy there would be no movement, or no 'aging' in anything, We would be like a photo
>>
>>17961534

I remember having this thought when I was 8, and trying to articulate it to my class. They looked at me like I was an idiot.
>>
File: malcolm12.jpg (13KB, 340x255px) Image search: [Google]
malcolm12.jpg
13KB, 340x255px
>>17961685
>>
File: NeoTheMatrix.jpg (22KB, 250x358px) Image search: [Google]
NeoTheMatrix.jpg
22KB, 250x358px
>>17961534
It's the matrix dummy.
>>
File: 1452496080606.jpg (40KB, 338x450px) Image search: [Google]
1452496080606.jpg
40KB, 338x450px
Holy shit this is gay.
>>
Survivorship bias?
>>
>>17961685
weather time is an illusion or not life still produces. your cells are life. you may not be here for a reason. but my reason is that.................................
>>
You are me living through your life, as i am you living through my life, at some base level we both come from the same place. So in some way you have been all those things.
>>
>>17961815
i like this
>>
There is a neat short story you might like. Here is the link:

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
>>
>>17961685
We'll find something faster than light.

Perhaps "time" as we call it is faster than light?
>>
>>17961838
Can you please elobarate on how 'time is faster than light'?
>>
>>17961838
Nothing IS father then light, if you see nothing as empty space then its always there before the light,every time. "Nothing" is a misconception, there is and forever will be "something"
>>
>>17961838
Light is not really effected by anything physical so it's speed is unparalleled. Only way to go faster is to increase the speed at which light can travel. Nothing can go faster than light within our universe, otherwise theoretically you would be catching up to the past.
>>17961849
Nothing has no speed as nothing can't have properties, speed is a property
>>
>>17961685
Isn't it more true to say that its the measurement of our perception of that process?

Its about how images are projected onto our retinas through light.

If we are moving at the same speed as light, away from the source, then we will never see another image projected onto our retinas. Essentially we would see "time" stopped.

In the same way, when we look at distant stars we see an older version of themselves as the light has taken so long to reach our eyes.
Essentially we are looking into the past in this way.

Is that true or am I smoking too much weed?
>>
>>17961929
The Big Bang itself expanded much faster than the speed of light. But this only means that "nothing can go faster than light." Since nothing is just empty space or vacuum, it can expand faster than light speed since no material object is breaking the light barrier.
>>
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/physicists-prove-time-travel-possible-by-sending-particles-light-into-past-1453839
>>
>>17961685
>fastest possible speed
it's don't
1. Rate of expansion of the Universe
2. Information sent via Quantum Entanglement
3. The Higgs-Boson Microatomic Particle (Tachyon)
4. Time, as measured in Planck Units (1 Universe per PU).
>>17961534
Its only your ability to think that hurts you so. Stop thinking, feel better.
>>
>>17961534
Maybe you were and that's the reason those specific examples popped into your head.
Or it doesn't matter, because nothing matters. Ever.
>>
>>17962020
Yes to your first point
And sort of for your second point. But reality is experienced at a different rate at differing speeds. Your right assuming that neither your flow or that of the light your traveling with is effected by a physical object traveling at them speeds. Shit gets pretty warped when your traveling that fast
>>17962078
I'm pretty skeptical on the big bang, I believe our universe is a singularity in another much larger one and so on and so forth.
But let's say we are the product of a massive explosion does that not go to say that the expansion started with light, then a shockwave then the repultion of all matter from a single point expanding into what can only be void, please explain how this can mean that viod/nothing/vacume can have a speed. It encompaces all therefore needs no movement
>>
>>17962108
Rate of expansion is an observational rate not a speed, since your bring quantem into the game, all things rely about an observational point meaning without observation there theoretically is no expansion. It is the rate at which the combined view of all life in the universe can comprehend more.
As for entanglement, the is no speed for there is no movement. Essentially two sides of the same coin meaning no distance between the two on a quantem level so exchange is instant
And I know fuck all about the other two, though I thought the higs boson was still purely theoretical
>>
>>17962160
No CERN has actually "seen" one (March 2013).
As far as planck time. 1 planck unit of time is the time it takes 1 photon to travel 1 planck length. Since time is subject to at least gravitational forces, it is possible for time to move faster than time (its also possible for light to become superluminable). Our modern knowledge of physics is slowly, but surely throwing out Einstein's General Relativity. Specifically with Special Relativity, which is breaking it's bonds with GR as we keep learning more. For basic types of physics and non-Subatomic particles GR is still king though.
Quantum Entanglement is either instantaneous or incredibly (unobservably) fast. We honestly don't know. Either way, 0 or equivalent to 0 is still less than 1, so QE is faster than light.
As far as Universal Expansion, I'm of the belief that the Universe is already infinite beyond our ability to observe it (not necessarily truly infinite, just far too large) therefore in my perspective Universal expansion is simply the rate at which we can observe information (which is still FTL because it has to move faster than the light carrying said information). So I'm more-or-less agreeing with you on this point.
>>
File: 1361897121821.jpg (19KB, 252x244px) Image search: [Google]
1361897121821.jpg
19KB, 252x244px
The dream is over when you become the dreamer.
>>
>>17961534
this is what i question myself all the time.
>>
>>17962838
4spooky2me
>>
>>17961534
Because it's not a part of the simulation. Better question are you a self realizes AI or an "lower bandwidth/cpu cycle "NPC"?
>>
>>17961534
Reincarnation explains this.
>>
>>17963059
Reincarnation isn't real.
>>
>>17961534
>>17961586
Be sure to ask /his/ after this thread
>>
>>17963059
What happens when more things are born then there are souls.
>>
>>17963081
Yep. Answer >>17963059 please.
>>
File: 1468179689731.gif (1MB, 381x281px) Image search: [Google]
1468179689731.gif
1MB, 381x281px
>>17961685
>don't be dense
What you just said is essentially "Time passes", do you realize that?
>>
>>17961817
well this can be applied to all living things cant it? then why not become a vegan? do you still like this?
>>
>>17961685
The measurement of time is man made. The intervals are man made. Not time itself. Without it everything would be happening all at once or be in a frozen state of not happening. I can't even comprehend what not time would even be.
>>
>>17963558
it would be peaceful
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2561x3400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2561x3400px
>>17963558
>The measurement of time is man made. The intervals are man made
What about Planck Time? Planck units are natural units based on the condition of the Universe when Gravity became separate force.
We theorized it. We use human terms and other human units to describe it, but Planck Time as a unit naturally occurs.
>>
>>17962233
Photons are a form of energy, so Planck time is directly measuring the flow of energy, only reinforcing my point that what er perceive as time, as in past present and future are but the flow of energy and not some fabric woven through space.
As I saind with quantem entanglement there is no movement between entangled particles within our universe so there for it has no speed just because something can literally cross the universe does not mean it has to travel that distance.
And as for your view of expansion, if it is only your observational field growing and not the entity your observing, how then can you say it is movement?
Also there a few quantem theories that go to say that movement within our universe is impossible altogether. Lots of branches of science contradict each other its quite funny really and people take science as an absolute truth as they once did god.
>>
>>17963166
If you knew any physics you would know that the most accepted theory is that time is a woven part of space, or spacetime.
I do understand I basically said time flows. But time isn't as I said above so why would I refer to it as time if it actually is not. A river would represent 'time' better than spacetime.
What you understand as time is past, present, and future right? None of that spacetime bull shit. The you understand time as the flow of energy and not a fabric, like it doesn't even make sense
>>
>>17961534
Because the thing you are is determined through your body, in which your brain contains your concsience
It really is that simple
>>
Someone has to be you, and no one could do it but you.
>>
>>17963081
You're the one who's assuming that's possible, not me.
>>
>>17961534

You are not the body. You are the atman(soul). You view things through your 5 senses but for once silence your mind and then your soul will become conscious and on that day your atman will become paramatman (god of vedic religion). You will become one with paramatman.
>>
>>17963081
Not that guy but I can answer this question from vedic perspective.

Atman(soul) is not finite. In vedic religion it is believed that our atman is a fragment of paramatman (super soul). Everything in this universe is a part of paramatman. Paramatman is infinite, it exists in everything(from humans to little dust particles) and it has no form. It is the energy behind energy(This is mentioned in upanishad) .It is the source of our soul.

So if we look at things through vedic religion then it is not possible for the organisms to outnumber the atman because the matter,energy and atman is a part of paramatman/parabrahman and the atman too is a part of paramatman.The atman instantly develops in a life form.
>>
>>17965852
What's to stop this from happening?
>>
>>17961534
Because you have to be something. I think you're making the mistake that somehow your form, and the time and place which it is in, is somehow much more special than something else. I'm not trying to be an edgelord, but if we're to look at things pragmatically, there's no real significance.
>>
File: 323054-87054-den.jpg (38KB, 486x640px) Image search: [Google]
323054-87054-den.jpg
38KB, 486x640px
>>17961534
You are you because of a chain of events that stretch back 14 billion years. Even before our star existed there was another star, much larger, which existed in its near vicinity with planets just like ours. Before that star there was probably another or maybe even a few that existed in its place.

You are you because of the constant cycle of universal recycling that goes on. The fact that you are on a planet that supports life and that you are conscious is of little consequence in the grand scheme of things. Your lifespan is 70-80 years if you are lucky.. that is nothing when compared to the age of the universe.

The thoughts that you have now are the same thoughts that lead me to become a pantheist, and not some hippie pantheist but a more solid non-spiritual pantheist. It is the only way that I can make sense of this universe.
>>
This thread is exactly what i needed after lurking on /r9k/
>>
>>17961534
If you were any of those other things then you wouldn't be a human being making a post in 2016.
>>
>>17961586

/pol/ will have a lot of fun with this too!
>>
>>17961534
obviously you are here just so you can ask these questions
>>
>>17961534
Why are you satisfied with a worldview that cannot answer these questions for you?
>>
>>17961809
nice contribution to the discussion you degenerate.
>>
>>17961586
/sci/ is right, but too dismissive in their explanations.

You are your body. You are you because of the way your body and your brain are. However, that doesn't mean that you are 'just' a bunch of chemicals reacting; it's actually quite marvellous. Somehow, a group of chemicals came together and became capable of perceiving a self; the self exists because a bunch of atoms believe that they are as one.

I don't know about you, but that's pretty amazing by my metric.
>>
>>17967207
>that doesn't mean that you are 'just' a bunch of chemicals reacting
But that's literally true, and all you did was reaffirm that with pleasant words.
>>
>>17961534
What makes you so sure of your precepts?

Why is any cell in your body itself? Why do you know and accept that you are made up of billions of unaware beings and can't grasp that you are on par in ignorance of the being you create?

Why do you think a time has ever existed outside of the now?

Why do you think in terms of odds? Ignorance.

These are your lots, your lives are your duties to the being that loves you. You have your roll

Fill them.
>>
>>17969363
With butter.
>>
you have already lived life as a termite and a jellyfish, you are at the final stage. you have been preparing for death this whole time
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.