[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pagan Gods and Myths - Are They Literal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 17

File: 1463764277447.jpg (125KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1463764277447.jpg
125KB, 612x612px
To the pagans on /x/ do you believe that your gods are beings who literally exist?

What about the myths associated with the cultures you draw inspiration from? For example, do Asatruar believe Yggdrassil is a literal axis mundi?

If you do believe they are literal, why do you?

If you don't believe they are literal, why are they not?
>>
Would like to know as well
>>
I believe they exist metaphysically, mainly.

So I wouldn't say I fit the category exactly.
>>
>>17949217
It all stems from belief. Perhaps at one time they were quite literal. As general consensus changed, so too did that world around us.When the world of man was young and our numbers were low, our individual impact on the world was greater, now such things are lost to the static of billions of humans.
Hope this answers your question.
>>
>>17949217
Religion is rarely ment to be taken literal, and those who do are the ones who miss the whole point of it the most
>>
File: coyote1.jpg (13KB, 160x142px) Image search: [Google]
coyote1.jpg
13KB, 160x142px
>>17949217
It's a teaching tool.

Does batman's city actually exist? Or is it a teaching tool about big cities that do exist?.

Does Freya( frau, woman) exist, or is she a type of person.

Some things are true, some things are story, some things are mnemonic devices.

Which is easier to remember?

A greedy person will destory the world if left unchecked by virtue?

Or a greedy person becomes a dragon gnawing upon yggdrasil until slain by a noble warrior?

As a kid, I would have listened to the dragon one, and I did, in fact, that's why I'm here, talking to you children about dragons and shit.

Dragons are a metaphor for the parts of us that we have in common with crocodiles.

Greed, lust, hunger, territoriality, all these things are present in crocodiles.

But altruism as we humans know it, is not.
Asking for help as we humans know it is NOT a crocodile trait. And the Gods, and Sigurd asked each other for help all throughout that saga.

So in a way it's literal, in a way it isn't.
Magick is literally impacting your mind, but in a way it isn't conjuring storms, it's conjuring stories about storms, which can be said to have even more impact to be honest.

Yggdrasil does exist, in a way that past present and future will always exist.

The fates of greek myth exist, in that we each live our own fates, and sometimes we get short threads, and die young.

Pagan myths exist to heal the spirit, and they were initially given out by storytellers as a medicine.

You have a gossipy clan? Tell a good story in which gossip is the character's undoing, and it will soothe your world.

The judeo-christian story is designed to keep the youngin's in line, and it certainly does that.

It's about stories, and healing.
Myths reinforce the virtues of humanity, and diminish the bad stuff of the time.
They can be based in truth, because imagination sometimes makes facts up for some reason.
>>
>>17951132
dude this reply was unironically the most wisdomful post in 2016 on /x.
>>
File: wolves pursuing sol and mani.jpg (136KB, 800x537px) Image search: [Google]
wolves pursuing sol and mani.jpg
136KB, 800x537px
>>17951132
I don't wholly disagree but there seems to be this trend of discrediting ancient religions as mere metaphor, from modern interpretations of the Bible to western ideas on eastern spirituality. I think people tend to forget before modern science and technology the world was a much more frightening place.
>storms overturn boats, destroy crops
>sudden blasts of white hot fire come down from the sky
>people fall ill and die inexplicably
>mountains spew fire and the earth shakes
The gods were very real to the old Pagans of Europe, because they saw their influence in every day life. The gods were a moral compass, but they were also the cause of natural phenomena and were appeased to influence the latter. You don't build monuments and make sacrifices to just stories.

The nature of the divine has been debated for centuries, and I think there were Pagans in both camps historically. Some probably believed the Æsir lived as physical beings in the far off realm of Asgard, while some (probably the more scholarly) may have postulated they were as powerful disembodied spirits exerting their influence over the mortal world. As a Pagan myself, practicing an amalgamation of Celtic/Germanic/Roman polytheism, I share the Roman Stoic belief that the gods are all distinct manifestations of the divine - separate in their own right, but ultimately springing from the same well from which all of creation has come. The gods exist metaphysically, but can manifest physically if needed.

Today, however, the lack of faith and destruction of the European Pagan religions may mean the gods cannot or will not manifest amongst us.
>>
>>17951230
>Today, however, the lack of faith and destruction of the European Pagan religions may mean the gods cannot or will not manifest amongst us.

Why exactly?
>>
>>17951230
this anon gets it
>>
>>17951230
Kek has been revived through meme magic, anon. Gods do not die as we humans do
>>
File: coyote ;).jpg (6KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
coyote ;).jpg
6KB, 100x100px
>>17951230
Dude, the gods are manifest RIGHT NOW.

You just gotta know their forms.

Cybele is within the heart of every peace loving stoner. (as cybele is a weed goddess. That's why she castrated Attis, so she'd have dank buds)

Thor is present in the blood of a family-herd goat. (as it takes a family for a goat herd)

Odin lives in the Yew(you) and in ascteticism.
He was invoked on hot days in a house that was also a live Yew tree. (which caused visions, and temporary blindness in one eye)

Frigg lives in lady's mantle which helps the sluts of the world. (treats hpv) And in the cannabis that is given by a girl to the man she "Loves/Lusts"

The gods manifest through their symbols.

The problem with pagans these days is simply one of irreverence to the natural forces and the direct manifestations.

But Athena's wisdom is assuredly in olive leaf extract, the wisdom of speech, cleanliness, and healing. (olive leaf cleans the teeth, cleans wounds, and can be applied to the forehead for her to jump out, like she did with Zeus.)

Athena's wisdom is in the olive oil, which does amazing things for health.

Athena's wisdom is in the pressed olives, that can feed your beasts, and fertilize the soil.

Athena's wisdom is in the shade of olive trees, so strongly that summoning her in anyplace else is a neopagan thing.

Why wouldn't the god's want their followers to use their gifts as part of ritual?

Summoning Bellonia(roman war goddess) involved cutting yourself, whilst drugged by belladonna.
Cutting yourself won't do it.
You need to cut yourself while under belladonna intoxication.

Bellonia wants you to remember that there are herbs that help you keep your blood inside.
And that she IS that blood-keeping force.

She wants you to know that bloodshed is needed, but should be kept minimal.
(belladonna is a vein tightening agent)

The Gods only appear when understood fully.
Look into their sacred plants, always.
>>
File: Dingo.jpg (6KB, 189x267px) Image search: [Google]
Dingo.jpg
6KB, 189x267px
>>17954587
Shiva is in Weed mixed with datura (shakti mixed with shiva) and also in Cows, in the sacred bull who with his "milk", makes the cow make milk, cheese, butter, and dung.
Shiva is in cow dung, and cow urine, as they are full of bacterial life energy.
Shiva is one side of the double-helix dna.
In a way he is in evolution as he know it, and bacteria are really strongly representative of it.

He's in ashes, that are representative of the final manifestation of a substance.

So to summon shiva, people sometimes smoke cannabis and datura, they smear themselves with ashes, they sing songs that have vibrations like a double helix, and they sometimes drink stuff that is made of the cow essences I mentioned before.

Gods give rituals to those that understand, so that more people can understand in time.

In shiva's rituals\, humility to the world becomes manifest as a "Side effect" and that is how shiva is, himself.

By imbibing the Sacraments of the gods, you become like the gods. And then you understand why.

"Take this cracker and wine" is a lost version of this art.
>>
>>17954627
So when I work in microbiology I burn bacteria into ashes. Can I summon shiva as I do so? And can you tell anything about Ma'at please?
>>
File: 1460007042939-1.jpg (25KB, 225x255px) Image search: [Google]
1460007042939-1.jpg
25KB, 225x255px
>>17949217
Highly relevant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9dTRdkSKgU
>>
File: doge.jpg (6KB, 126x188px) Image search: [Google]
doge.jpg
6KB, 126x188px
>>17956029
You'd need to be in the right mindstate too, you can see the process of Shiva unfolding, but you'd need to be ritualistic in your practice, and doing it faithfully at the right hours too. (need melatonin in your system)

Shiva is summoned with light from a ghee lamp, not whatever utensil is used to burn bacteria to ash. Shiva is also greeted after Ganesha, who is the essence of turmeric (an maoi)

Ma'at is about the final moments of death, and about the way to die in peace. She's about morality, and how it affects your mind.
Her rituals probably involved acacia trees, as they can be used to create cloth and "bread".

This post is able to teach you a lot, if you try it with devotion, not with dissection.

Gods can't be dissected for the same reason that rituals that fail to include the sacred substances fail.
Part of the substances are inside your brain/soul/heart/etc.

Part of any divinity is in the interaction.

Shiva is in the subdued senses, like how tropane alkaloids make you sorta numb, mentally.

In your microbiological practice, you aren't meditating, you're working.

You aren't vibrating with the theta waves outside of ritual(singing a mantra 108 times etc.), you vibrate with the wakefulness of alpha waves.

To meet Ma'at you gotta be a holy person.
You need to have that trust in your fellow, and trust in yourself, and that opens the channels within.

It's like how a thinking person's mind doesn't age in the same way as a dull person's mind.
Except this is a good person's mind.
Not a guilty person's mind.

Whatever guilt does, it makes you too heavy for the acacia to carry you over to paradise, and instead one faces scary shit of the ego(crocodiles again) when taking her sacrament. Or they worry for what they've done.

Ma'at is psychedellic psychological law.

The hindus have a saying.
Shiva without shakti is shava.
Shava means corpse, shakti means effort.

You gotta try, to meet the gods.
>>
File: 1373296292036.jpg (109KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1373296292036.jpg
109KB, 612x612px
>>17956115
It's weird, but it's literally stumbling on a untouchable force, so of course it is tricky.

Newton needed to sit under the apple tree, Shiva-worshippers gotta be hungry, tired, high, or what have you.

Ma'at worshippers gotta be good people.

Odin worshippers have to be effeminiate druggies.

Kings gotta be wealthy.

Gravity is discovered by sitting under a tree, so too is dharma.

This is why trees were cut down by the christians, as they are able to lead some people, at the right times, to a correct realization, and that is dangerous for societal controllers who haven't tried to understand anything other than tradition.

In essence, all science is born from ritual.
(Repeatable phenomena)

Magic is just like this, but not in a vaccum. But in the cultural context it came from, it was repeatable for sure.

Early shiva worshippers had cows, and so they woke up before sunrise, to milk them.
And so they all knew shiva in the rituals.
And shiva protected them by keeping fire and milk from being forgotten and lost.

Rituals are proto-scientific science, and cultural medicine, and they bind together people of a certain class, social standing, diet, and sometimes even blood type.

It's even visible today in the pumpkin pie that is eaten during the times of darkness and SAD (seasonal affective disorder) Pumpkin has substantial amounts of tryptophan, and that makes serotonin, which keeps the "Bad spirits" away.
>>
>>17956162
Thank you for your insights! Your posts read like the profound thoughts one has while in a deep meditation, when there are things in your mind that you've always known but are gone when the mind wakes up again.
>>
>>17956162
What about alcohol? Specifically beer. Or mead.
>>
>>17956057
> Muh aethiesm
> cant provem teh meh!
> physical miracles / manifestations of metaphysical beings dont work
The best way for Satan to conquer someone - is by convincing them he simply doesn't exist. Its like a Butcher convincing its stock that Meat factories arent real.
>>
File: ghosty.jpg (80KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
ghosty.jpg
80KB, 736x552px
>>17956311
Beer is a modern drink.
Ancient beer was NOTHING like the feminizing hops/rice brew of the modern day.

If you are interested in making ancient beer, there are recipes for Gruit beers, and you might be able to do something wonderful.

Mead was also vastly different, as the world had very different flowers and trees than the modern world.

There are many ancient parasitic plants, like ghost pipes and such, that have been wiped out with deforestation. (oddly enough these plants hate light)

These ancient plants were gathered as nectar by the bees and certainly affected the character of the honey.

I mean, if you have honey from a place that has been intentionally planted like the ancient world, then you could recreate the ancient mead, MAYBE.
But it's somethng that has sadly been lost more than likely, as bees will always stray, and pick up honey from wherever.
And the soil is more alkaline nowadays, and less shaded, more dandelions in the honey, less forests and bogs, more fields and roads.

Mead to the ancient world, was a very special drink, nowadays it is a drink.

Beer to the ancient world was a symbol of purity. As it didn't have hops to help with it's antibacterial qualities, it used purity.

The ancient person didn't just buy a bottled drink off a shelf, they bought it from the priestess, who designed it for the season, and used herbs of the season's gods and spirits to improve the health of the worshippers.

Just as the gods liked it when you cracked open a bear, and didn't like it if you just found a dead bear and gnawed on it, the same goes for drinks.

Learn how to brew. It'll help you connect to your ancient past.
>>
>>17956651
>Disregard this, I suck cocks
Excuse me if I find the worthless opinion of someone who can barely type incredulous... and cringeworthy.
>>
File: cover.jpg (120KB, 500x722px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
120KB, 500x722px
>>17949217

Y'all motherfuckers need Collin Cleary.
>>
File: 1469538983649.jpg (106KB, 900x585px) Image search: [Google]
1469538983649.jpg
106KB, 900x585px
>>17949217
Isn't paganism about magical forests, mountains, fields, trees, stones etc. ?
>>
I'm the Axis Mundi bitchniggas
>>
Not a pagan but I think that symbolism is used a lot to refer to something that is actually there. In our range of perception or otherwise. If the ancients knew things but had limited field of reference in terms of language then the idea that the Moon is an egg that had its yolk taken out cannot be taken literal. Same with the talking snake.
>>
>>17951132
teacher, how will I find you again?
>>
File: dhumdhumdhumavati.jpg (81KB, 593x600px) Image search: [Google]
dhumdhumdhumavati.jpg
81KB, 593x600px
>>17961960

the name of this picture @gmail if you wanna.
Don't try scamming me though, I'm too poor to eat 60% of the time.

You'll know it's me once you ask something.

I'll also be on /x/ whenever I am.
I don't make threads, I post in them though.
>>
>>17949217
The oldest pagan religion dates back 1.5million years, far into the last stone age. Google bear mythology, but this religion worshipped bears among things. I have greatly researched and through limited information put some pieces of the puzzles together.
They were called the in between ers, a cold truth between love and war. They greatly valued and revered death, so much they would seek out a glorious death in battle. Though they were beings of extreme peace, walking around offering free food, seeds, and teachings across the entire world. They would come across as naive and weak,just hoping they would come across an aggressor. Once attacked, they would declare full war, only fighting with their hands. They were renowned for their speed and grotesque fighting style, riping out eyes, biting necks, drenching themselves in the enemies blood. Their brutalness was limited to the battlefield only. They despised any form of prisoner taking, rape or torture. They knew the value of death, and would quickly end lives to limit suffering.
Aside from their fighting and peace spreading,they believed each soul had an animal spirit. The bear was the head of the totem, just like them, peaceful unless provoked. Many of their caves are still intact from North America to Europe and China, with bear skulls ordered in exact patterns.
All for now x/, on my mobile so hard to type.
>>
>>17959843
>Same with the talking snake.

Serpent, and same word is used for sorcerer/enchanter. Being later identified as the devil.

Quite literal.
>>
>>17962995
Thanks, good to know.
>>
>>17962995
Serpent and snake actually refer to worms. Which almost everyone on earth has.
>>
File: 1459002328471.jpg (54KB, 300x535px) Image search: [Google]
1459002328471.jpg
54KB, 300x535px
So on the topic of pagan/non-semitic deity worship, what does /x/ think about the rise of worship of the Egyptian deity Kek on this Chinese sketches imageboard?
>>
>>17963029
Old diety, last one to bring about chaos before destruction. Then God Himself, who else is excited?
>>
>>17963035
To me the coincidences between happenings and meme magic is interesting, especially with all the kek praise and new found worship, but to me it's alarming
>>
>>17963045
It's darkest before the dawn. All the books and prophecies have predicted this. I would rather it excel and go faster to get it over with. Just like a volcano destroys, it leaves behind the best soil for new growth.
>>
>>17963054
But is kek a benevolent or malevolent deity? From what I've read about him he is considered the light bringer in old Egyptian Mythos, but that can be translated in a number of ways
>>
>>17949217
>pagans
Unless there are Hindus floating about, Neo-pagans are Just wankers
>>
>>17963069
He is one of many. He is actually one of the four horsemen, so bad and good. Most don't understand God is both destruction and creation.
>>
>>17963076
Oh I believe he is both creation and destruction, but I can't believe that Kek would be considered an agent of the Lord simply due to the only mention of a frog deity is from Egyptian mythos, so there for I am having trouble finding the correlation between him and the Horsemen
>>
File: devi.jpg (116KB, 614x537px) Image search: [Google]
devi.jpg
116KB, 614x537px
>>17963071
Hindus are neopagans too, though. Unless they sacrifice horses in their weird bestiality ritual these days.

Theres nothing wrong with neopaganism if you do it for the right reasons. (like the scarcity of 30 year old white horses)

Kalli as we know her, is a neo-hindu invention.
The vedic culture called her Kal-ratri and that just meant "dark night" as in the night without the moon.
>>
>>17963080
Everything fits into the kingdom of God. God and bad, I personally believe animals come from humans, the lower your soul goes, the worse your animal becomes. Frogs are bringers of death, not life, so they play their purpose.
>>
File: ree.jpg (10KB, 186x176px) Image search: [Google]
ree.jpg
10KB, 186x176px
>>17963190
Frogs bring life ALL the time.
Get outta here, death cultist.

Tadpoles are totally life. They are squirmy, prolific life, from still-stagnant waters.
>>
>>17952322
The old gods were the annunaki as described by various people, thats why there are similarities to them all. The pagan gods were more based on local legends.

That being said they all exist on some level. Its incredibly complex how and why, but think of it like the spiritual equivalent of the internet cloud. If even one person thinks of it its in the cloud. Now, with practice you can connect to the cloud, and also manipulate it, or use its energy. If you connect to the local cloud you can do some interesting shit. Anyways i could go on forever, but ill leave it at that. Its too complex, and i dun feel like explaining it.
>>
>>17963268
Anything from still water is death. Mosquitoes, frogs, etc. Death breeds in stillness, a true rock is formed in a rushing river.
>>
>>17963344
Dub dubs, the truth.
>>
>>17963029
thinly veiled reptilian worship
>>
>>17963646
But frogs aren't reptiles, anon
>>
>>17962969
>>17962824

Would really like to read more on the topic form you two, if there's any way to do that.
>>
>>17963029
Personally I think the whole kek thing is memes and silliness, and a lot of people use scripts to get repeating digits as often as they happen. /pol/ where the kek stuff happens is a huge board with lots of traffic so it's not like digits are rare.

I just want to know if there's any community of old European Pagans that's not wiccafags or asatrularpers. I probably won't find that in the states
>>
>>17963670
>that's not wiccafags or asatrularpers

Only thing that comes to mind are the Romuva groups in the Baltics and elsewhere in E Europe
>>
>>17963663
I know. that's why I said thinly veiled. There's an old tradition where the gods forbade literal depiction and so the artists distorted their image massively. Snakes, dragons, fish and frogs are symbolic of reptilians.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.