[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meditation help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: luke.png (681KB, 540x533px) Image search: [Google]
luke.png
681KB, 540x533px
Hey /x/, I've been meditating off and on for several years now, but I've noticed that the particular type of meditation I do, which is general mind clearing and awareness, doesn't really cut it for me anymore. It feels as though I can do something more with meditation.

Can anyone familiar with another school of meditation point in the direction of something that might allow me to gain personal insight or make positive changes? Perhaps something like an active meditation rather than passive awareness.
>>
Chant the Hare Krsna mahamantra:

Hare Krsna Hare Krsna
Krsna Krsna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama
Rama Rama Hare Hare

This mantra can be chanted anytime under any circumstance and is the most potent form of meditation in the universe.
>>
>>17945410

I assume there's a reason for it being the most potent?
>>
>>17945428
Yes, Lord Krsna (The Supreme Personality of Godhead) has imbued the mantra with his own essence and potency. In other words, when one chants he associates directly with God in sound form. The mantra was popularize 500 years ago by Lord Chaitanya, Krsna himself in the mood of a devotee.
>>
Don't do any foolish mantra chanting. It's a waste of time.

If you truly want to meditate, then focus on the natural flow of your breath coming in and out of your nostrils.
>>
>>17945447
While pranayama might offer some calmness and respite, it will not awaken Love of Godhead or any real spiritual sentiments for that matter.
>>
>>17945428
It's a cult.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Society_for_Krishna_Consciousness

>>17945404
Find a reliable yoga practitioner, or look into the martial arts. Even Tai Chi can be a positive form of active meditation.
>>
>>17945404
Cognitive behavioral therapy. Look it up.
>>
>>17945450
Vaishnavism is an ancient and legitimate tradition that spans for thousands of years.
>>
>>17945465
That doesn't change the fact that it is literally the textbook definition of a cult.
>>
Title: Clarifying the Natural State: A Principal Guidance Manual for Mahamudra
Author(s): Dakpo Tashi Namgyal, Erik Pema Kunsang, Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche

http://bookfi.net/dl/1491341/2f3179

If you're serious, start here for some basics. Realize that the deper type of meditation you ask for is concerned with liberation from Samsara (i.e. the perpetual cycle of ignorance, suffering & rebirth). Yes, it also includes methods which may relax the mind, but in actual practice, it is a method for facing and overcoming painful difficulties until there are none left. This means the intended practitioner for these teachings are those who are willing to discipline themselves and do whatever it takes to purify their mind. I'm sure you can imagine the type of journey this involves; suffice to say its not exactly of the pleasant sort.

I'd also like to add that I'm not affiliated with or shilling any one system, lineage, or tradition. My personal interests strictly lie in understanding the fundamental processes of traditional meditative practice throughout history. Whether it be Vajrayana, Thai Forest, Chan Buddhism, Yoga, Tantra, Vedanta, etc; my approach has always been to note the similarities in the various approaches to nondual realization, and more importantly, to practice them with full sincerity.
>>
Once I reached that point of wanting to take things further I started incorporating asana and pranayama before meditation. Asana done properly should be a form of active meditation. Pranayama is a very potent practice that can make profound changes to the way your nervous system functions in its ability to conduct ecstatic energy. Adding both these practices also resulted in much deeper meditation.
>>
How do I get into meditation? I've read that it's good for concentration, dunno if I had ADHD, but it's pretty hard to me to concentrate in doing something for more than 30 min.

I want to discipline myself, and thought this could help, also to make me feel calm.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>17945746
Read
>>17945410
>>
>>17945410
how is it pronounced anon? i am american btw
>>
File: 1458701190707.jpg (2MB, 2398x3543px) Image search: [Google]
1458701190707.jpg
2MB, 2398x3543px
>>17945450
its is most definitely not a cult. nothing is asked in return, no money no suicides. nothing evil, only raising your existence to the level of divine. why are you so ignorant to automatically dismiss such an ancient spiritual practice? who turned you against it? even to think of it logically..if a religion actively seeks to find god (unlike Christianity and others) through meditation, and has been doing so for literally thousands of years, then the god they speak of IS the true god. for example, would you believe a chef who has studied at the best schools and devoted his life to cooking to make the tastiest dish..or a person who only watches cooking shows and such.
>>
File: Labrynth.jpg (578KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Labrynth.jpg
578KB, 2048x1536px
>>17945404
>I've noticed that the particular type of meditation I do, which is general mind clearing and awareness, doesn't really cut it for me anymore.
Then you're not doing it right.
>>17945450
>martial arts
This works too. I also recall stuff about people walking through labyrinths for meditation, as well.
>>17945746
I was diagnosed as a kid, and I know what you mean about the difficulty concentrating. The trick I found is not to concentrate at all.

I've described my brain before like a room of TVs, all on different channels. So what I do is, rather than pushing it all out, let it all chatter at once, and don't focus on anything. Like white noise. The same works for everything around you: let it all go about its business. Just relax, sit, and let it wash over you. If you can concentrate on something, try focusing on your breathing. I don't suppose it matters if you try and breathe a certain way (in the nose, out the mouth) or if you just want to observe it.

I don't think there really is a right or wrong way to meditate. Just so long as you can clear your head, even for a few short moments. Even focusing on washing dishes can work. That whole "being in the moment" thing. Though with ADHD that's really just being hyperfocused, isn't it...?
>>
>>17945532
>Title: Clarifying the Natural State: A Principal Guidance Manual for Mahamudra

Pranayama is breath control, right? I was wondering if the rhythmic breathing I found in an occult book is based off it or part of it.

It's basically mediate as usual, count your heart beat til you can count it without feleing it, breath in and out to the count of 4.

Then start counting to 8 with the same beat. 1-2-3-4 expand your gut while breathing in, 5-6 expand your chest breathing in, 7-8 lift your chest breathing in.

Then breathing out 1-6 relax your chest, 7-8 push gut in to release any air.

I've been curious where it originally comes from as it triggers a pretty good trance.
>>
>>17945842
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpv742NDF7w
>>
>>17945866
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cult

This word does not imply evil, nor does it imply tithing.

Education and temperance are essential to esoteric understanding.
>>
>>17945937
ok so what is your point though? that hinduism is just a fraud? you are misguided my friend.
>>
>>17945924
is it better to sing or or does it matter?
>>
>>17945966
Chanting to oneself and keeping track on beads is called Japa, while chanting in song form is called kirtan. Generally a serious devotee will chant a perscribed number of roundsdaily (one round being 108 repetitions), though a beginner can chant depending on his preference as both are potent.
>>
>>17945977
hm i see thank you. seems difficult to keep track of number of chants while chanting. lol
>>
>>17945990
This is why we chant on Tulsi beads (for every repetition of the full mantra, you move your finger over one piece of wood until you reach the main bead again). A serious devotee aspiring for initiation should chant at least 16 rounds.
>>
File: Tulsi.jpg (21KB, 350x261px) Image search: [Google]
Tulsi.jpg
21KB, 350x261px
>>17945995
>>
>>17945404
Thumo is an interesting meditation, i'm slack to find a link or explain in depth but basically it is a form of meditation to control body temp
>>
>>17945963
My point is that there are multiple methods to achieve the same end, and they are all valid. Monotheistic belief to the exclusion of outside opinion is self-defeating.

I don't understand why you are taking this so personally. Every denomination of belief is a cult.

There is only One Light, simultaneously around, within, and beyond us.
>>
>>17946013
Tummo sorry not thumo
>>
>>17946051
>My point is that there are multiple methods to achieve the same end, and they are all valid.

Different methods lead to different results. As the Bhagavad Gita states, devotional service is the only way in which one can know God. There is no other way than harinam.
>>
>>17946068
Funny, my book says the same thing.

Good luck!
>>
>>17945842
Listen to my sweet Lord by the beatles
>>
>>17945909
Yea, that's a form of pranayama sometimes called the Full Yogic Breath.
>>
>>17945404

Google, "zazen".
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.