[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Terror is...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 10

File: 88562315.jpg (28KB, 540x353px) Image search: [Google]
88562315.jpg
28KB, 540x353px
I just came up with a new game. It's simple: Define terror. Terror as in terror vs horror.

Stephen King should start us off, then I'll bump with a couple of my own:

Terror, when you come home and notice everything you own had been taken away and replaced by an exact substitute.
>>
Terror is sleeping with company, then waking up in the middle of the night and realizing that you can't hear anyone around you breathing or shifting.
>>
Terror, when you wake up to the house alarm going off, and find the front door ajar. You turn it off and there's nothing but silence, and after a thorough search it seems nothing is missing. Still you realize there's been no indication of whether the intruder ever left, and you can't shake the feeling that there's some place you've forgotten to look.
>>
I always saw terror as more of an immediate threat to your life, while horror is a slow creeping dread.
A gun pointed at your head is terror. The sounds of something creeping up behind you in the dark is horror.
>>
>>17940293
I always thought that terror occurs on a mass scale rather than an individual, personal level.
>>
Horror is smoking crack so gud it feels like it'll give you a heart attack. Terror is realizing you ran out of crack which gives you a heart attack
>>
>>17940293
Terror is feeling you've done something which exposes you to everyone as an outsider, but you cant think what. No one will mention it again, you will never remember what you did or how to avoid it in future, but things between you and the people/world won't be the same. You'll forever feel like you're somehow different but you can't tell why. Maybe all those people are different to you, and they know it, but you don't.
>>
Terror is turning the same light off twice.
>>
>>17940349
That's just aspergers.
>>
Terror is agonizing ambiguity. It's all about ambiguity folks.
>>
>>17940371
So what's terrorism?
>>
>>17940377
the perpetual threat of agonizing ambguity i guess

the possibility and the randomness of pain
>>
>>17940377
Well, we are talking about terror in the sense of apprehension, fear, anxiety, unease, creepiness.

But in a sense terrorism is about deliberately rousing these feelings in other people ... for political gain. And that's not really /x/ related. Context. We're talking about terror akin to psychological horror.
>>
>>17940396
Surely a word means what it means regardless of context.
>>
If I entered my house and found one of the water taps running I'd probably have a heart attack.
>>
>>17940397
You are really smart
you ask a question then answer it yourself thus not caring what the people responded to your question
classic :)
>>
Don't know much about terror, but I do know about night terrors.
I have a fun story involving one night terror.
>be me, living with gf
>sleep
>vague dream, but terrible sense of dread, squirming and screaming in my sleep
>gf tries to wake me
>I almost choke her unconcious
>she cries
>I feel like shit
>>
>>17940720
Calm your butthurt, fella. I'm just confused about this transforming word.
>>
>>17940742
>poetry
Did you know there are contexts where words don't have to be taken literally?
>>
>>17940748
Something as serious as terrorism doesn't strike me as the place to be injecting poetry.
>>
>>17940756
Terrorism turns out to be one of those contexts where the word loses all literal meaning. See: Japan.
>>
>>17940758
What's the literal meaning of Japan?
>>
>>17940293
I see terror as being certain that something terrible, whatever it is, is already happening or is unavoideable and will happen.
Certainty.

Horror on the other hand, is the fear of what may happen, not knowing if that horrible thing is happening, fearing that something may occur.
Uncertainty.

While experiencing horror is unpleasant, experiencing real terror will destroy you. Since there is no turning back anymore from that point of certainty that that terrible thing will occur/is occuring.
>>
I read a cool quote somewhere that went something like "Fear is the abscence of understanding. Horror is the act of understanding perfectly"
>>
>>17940302
Awful
>>
I never understood this.

Terrific: Positive
(Terror?)

Horrific: Negative
(Horror?)
>>
>>17940764
>the literal meaning of Japan
I dunno man. But if you ever figure it out, let me know.
>>
>>17940312
That's backwards, Terror is the creeping dread, horror is the immediate fear.
>>
>>17940742
Are you literally so much of a retard that you can't comprehend a word having more than one meaning? I hope for your sake english isn't your first language because if it is you're a fucking embarrassment.
>>
>>17940806
awful (awe-ful?) and awesome, being filled with awe but in opposite magnitudes
>>
>>17941444
wtf fearsome isn't just some fear it's a lot of fear
>>
Terror: The ominous feeling of uncertainty that you get when you leave your front door and have no idea where you are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEikGKDVsCc
>>
Terror is the realization that, through your fault or not, you or others have been rendered vulnerable, and though you have done all you can, you are ultimately powerless to prevent whatever misfortune occurs next.

Terror is awareness. It is anticipation of what will stem from your failures to be enough to prevent it.

You have done all you can, and all you have accomplished is making yourself painfully aware that there is no stopping what comes next.

I'd say horror is experienced during the misfortune, or as one witnessing it.
But terror is pervasive and elusive.
>>
File: 1469160610326.jpg (82KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1469160610326.jpg
82KB, 900x675px
>>17943277
So basically if you're scared of dying you're doomed to a shit life?
>>
>>17940723
H O T
O
T
>>
Terror is having a brief, fleeting realization that you are not who you think you are.
>>
Terror is start hearing all the dogs in the area going nuts and a minute later realize that your spoiled in-house cat isn´t anywhere in the house
>>
Terror is holding a weapon at the ready as you hear something come up the stairs when you live alone.
The amount of unknowns makes your mind go wild.
Could it be a friend who decided to stop by? A cop? A burglar? Some sort of creature?
But the footsteps are getting closer, it's do or die.
>>
>>17940326
....Bush did 9/11.
>>
Terror is fear of the known; fear of the gun to your head.
Horror is fear of the unknown; fear of the what is in the shadows.
Dread goes along with both. It is knowing that something at some moment could strike.
>>
>>17940293
Terror is seeing a thread with a shit ton of spooky potential slowly wither and die.
>>
>>17940293
Terror is when you realize the mcrib is only going to be here until tomorrow.

Horror is when you realize you don't have any money to go get one until tomorrow.
>>
Terror is being visited by the police and being told that they've been monitoring all your internet activity for the past five years.
>>
Terror is what an Indian feels when presented with a toilet.
>>
File: 1468936598476.jpg (14KB, 255x233px) Image search: [Google]
1468936598476.jpg
14KB, 255x233px
>>17946290
>>
File: a17.jpg (58KB, 500x277px) Image search: [Google]
a17.jpg
58KB, 500x277px
>>17946299
>>
>>17940768
This is a pretty good understanding of the difference. Many of these anons have been confusing either for dread, which involves a measure of anticipation of one or the other.

For what it's worth, I would define horror as unfamiliar shapes and sounds in the dark. A bare, windowless, concrete room wherein a camera points at an empty lawn chair with freshly cut duct tape around the arms and legs, with gluts of blood pooling in the seat and dripping to the floor. Horror is the smell coming from the next room and the hum of swarming flies.
To me, terror is being the one in that chair just before it happens. Terror is the overwhelming fear and shock that you feel at the bottom of your belly when you realize there’s nothing you can do to stop it, and which rather than abating, lingers and rises into your chest. When in a dream you witness something so disturbing that you cannot cry out when you try.
>>
File: tumblr_o2ekclQCge1rg590io9_500.png (105KB, 500x356px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2ekclQCge1rg590io9_500.png
105KB, 500x356px
>>17940293
When the only light on is at the top of the stairs, with all lights off behind you, and you force yourself to slowly walk up.

When your back is turned to the woods at night after walking to them and you hear a stick break behind you.
>>
>>17940293
Terror, when you are in the can an go reach for the toilet paper and find a cockroach there and then it flies to your face.
>>
>>17940293
Terror is hearing the pop sound of a condom breaking while fucking a hooker
>>
Terror is hearing footsteps in your home and realizing you left the front door unlocked.
>>
Terror is when you think you are going somewhere alone,but realize you are being followed
>>
Terror is doing something nobody's ever done, but knowing the protocol by heart regardless.
>>
Terror is when you live alone and see the front door slowly open.
>>
>>17940349
Fug that spooked me
>>
>>17940349
>what it's actually like to be clinically psychopathic
>>
>>17940293
Terror, the realization that everything you sense around you is filtered through the window of your mind, and you will never be able to know for certain what is real and what may lurk in the dark corners and inner workings of our universe because our feeble forms are too impotent to ever begin to grasp at the endless void of existence.
>>
Terror is finding a lump that you never noticed before.
>>
terror is smelling a slightly acrid, smoky smell and then looking down to see yourself spontaneously combusting from the toes upward. for one brief moment, you go, "geez, so that's how it looks." then you go, "but why me? what caused this?" then you panic and try to stand, but you're already ash up to your knees...
>>
>>17940349
That's being an alcoholic and blacking out constantly
>>
>>17949957
Too true
>>
>>17940293
>Terror, when you come home and notice everything you own had been taken away and replaced by an exact substitute.

This actually would t bother me as long as everything still works

I don't get attached to items
>>
>>17948222
Terror is seeing that image, and whilst scanning the figure in your head, thinking it's moving, watching for the slightest twitch for minutes after thinking you saw one.

True relief is when you realize it's a .png.
>>
>>17940293
>Terror, when you come home and notice everything you own had been taken away and replaced by an exact substitute.

What the fuck is that supposed to mean? How would you know and why would you care?
>>
>>17950770
niggas just being pretentious
>>
>>17943707
Who cares, fuck cats anyways
>>
>>17950770
I guess it implies the terror comes from the fact that it would be almost impossible to know yet for some reason you do anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>17940293

Terror is looking up at the sky on a clear night and watching the stars disappear one by one before your very eyes.
>>
Terror is a T error.
>>
>>17940293
terror is realizing that you fucked up and unlike a game you can't recover from a save
>>
>>17940293

you mean you come home and everything is exactly the same? how the fuck would you even notice that
>>
Horror is the ringing of an alarm bell in your mind, when you realize something is not right (in a spoopy way).
Terror is when your own helplessness against something strikes fear in your heart.
>>
>>17950958

You got to really think about the situation, play it out. You go to an uneventful day of work and come home to your same old house. Keys on the hook, coat in the closet and time to unwind the day on the couch when something seems off. Everything feels different somehow, you can't place it exactly but time and closer examination it starts to come together. Someone or something has been in your home while away and for some reason replaced all your stuff with the same shitty stuff, but different. They did a really good job too, couch has got your groove, the password on your laptop is the same and even the rug has a stain on it from that party a while back. But there is enough off to make it click that this is not YOUR stuff.

Your stuff is gone, someone took it and for reasons unknown is deceiving you with this other stuff. Or maybe you are not home at all and this is some cunning trap or a prank or ..or something. Maybe you don't got it all together and this is the start of a mental breakdown and everything is fine and you are not. Your mind races for an answer but where do you even start? Talk to a neighbor? A friend? Call the cops? Maybe they are in on it or perhaps they will think you're off your rocker.

It is a foreign situation with no clear outcome that forces you to deal with its weirdness. You wouldn't just shrug your shoulders and go meh whatever, what is on t.v.. Shit ain't right on a fundamental level at that point.
>>
>>17951167
>Shit ain't right on a fundamental level at that point.

This is what King was getting at. The feeling that absolutely everything is wrong but there is not a single thing to point out as "wrong." You can't get help because you can't explain what's wrong. You can't fix it because there's nothing "wrong" to fix by changing.
>>
>>17951167
Hmm in this hypothetical it sounds more like i would be schizo then anything els

>They did a really good job too, couch has got your groove, the password on your laptop is the same and even the rug has a stain on it from that party a while back.

like seriously if everything was the same how would i notice it was new? its the same fucking shit!
>>
File: 2963432a.jpg (35KB, 252x395px) Image search: [Google]
2963432a.jpg
35KB, 252x395px
>>17952065
>it feels off
Humans have amazing senses, you'd be surprised.
>>
>>17952089
how could something seam of if literally everything was the same EVEN THE FUCKING STAIN ON YOUR CARPET
>>
File: Subhumans-cover-rough.jpg (54KB, 400x374px) Image search: [Google]
Subhumans-cover-rough.jpg
54KB, 400x374px
>>17952103
>smell
>the way the floorboards move under your feet
>slight discoloration

shall I go on?
>>
>>17952113

then they aren't exact... I'm all for spooky shit, but Stephen King took a lot of heat for that line when he first said it. It doesn't make any sense and sounds like your average /x/ autist would say.
>>
>>17952113
HAHAH SO THEY FUCKING REPLACED THE FLOOR BOARDS AND WAS ABLE TO CHANGE THE SMELL OF YOUR HOME

what if i have a concret floor? and what they ran around and febrezed the shit out of my house or what?

dude its fucking stupid and no where near terrifying

but yes please do go on
>>
File: 1449782032782.png (16KB, 746x982px) Image search: [Google]
1449782032782.png
16KB, 746x982px
>>17952123
you must be very fun at parties...
>>
>>17950813
i fkd ur mum fag
>>
>>17940293
Terror is waking up and looking at a set of eyes from across the room. There's that fleeting moment where you have to decide whether or not it's the cat.
Then you realize you don't own a pet.
>>
>>17951167
This guy gets it. Starting this thread was worth it because of this post.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (42KB, 280x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
42KB, 280x200px
Terror is watching your cat stick its tongue out at you, not in the usual way, but in a meaningful way, as if mocking you, like they know something that you don't.
>>
>>
>>17955665
10/10/thread
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.