[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I thought seeing as I watch a lot of television series/films,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 11

I thought seeing as I watch a lot of television series/films, I would start a thread to let you know about some of the best /x/ related TV shows and movies. None of the ones I will be discussing contain jump scares involving ghosts or things like that but they include plenty of the other themes that this board enjoys chatting about on a regular basis. I know we have these threads pretty often but I haven't seen the things I am about to suggest in them. I will also try to do decent descriptions/reviews. Feel free to add stuff or mention if you have seen any of these. I might point out particular stand out episodes of some of these series later if anyone is interested.
>>
File: images (12).jpg (23KB, 458x321px) Image search: [Google]
images (12).jpg
23KB, 458x321px
Wire in the Blood
(2002 BBC series)
Seeing as we had a pretty popular thread several weeks ago about serial killers (and one about the Hostel movies), I thought I would start with this one. It's based on a series of books that I have heard are pretty good. The main character is a forensic psychologist who helps the police catch serial killers due to his knowledge of the motivations of the dark side of the human psyche. I feel like you gain a lot of understanding about criminal psychology and disturbed minds from watching this series. A couple of the episodes are occult related too. Good suspense and really unnerving and scary.
>>
File: images (47).jpg (22KB, 463x318px) Image search: [Google]
images (47).jpg
22KB, 463x318px
Cleverman
(Current series)
Best thing on Aussie TV right now (in my opinion). Season 1 has just finished and only had 6 episodes but they are making another season. Civilisation has somehow recently encroached onto the territory of humanoid mythological hairy people and now they are treated like a subhuman underclass in a government run containment area called The Zone. They live in this ghetto with some of the poorer Aboriginal people of the city. There are other creatures that are more supernatural and more deadly. It's a modern take on the dreaming stories. The old Cleverman (kind of like a shaman) dies, and the new one is quite a reluctant hero. There is a whole science-fiction-merging-with-ancient-spirituality theme going on that is very pleasing.
>>
File: images (45).jpg (25KB, 518x284px) Image search: [Google]
images (45).jpg
25KB, 518x284px
>>17933815
>>
File: images (42).jpg (24KB, 468x291px) Image search: [Google]
images (42).jpg
24KB, 468x291px
Spooks
(2002-2011 BBC series)
This is by far my favourite television series. It's about post 9/11 MI5 agents. Lots of stuff about government cover ups and conspiracies. It's 10 seasons long but I think the quality is consistently great. So much action, suspense, excellent writing and great acting. Most episodes are edge-of-your-seat exciting and/or contain interesting and complex moral/ethical dilemmas. I highly recommend it.
>>
File: images (50).jpg (37KB, 298x494px) Image search: [Google]
images (50).jpg
37KB, 298x494px
WAX: Or the Discovery of Television Among the Bees
(1991 film)
Gotta warn you this one might not be to everyone's taste. If you look up "cyberpunk films" it's on nearly every list - because it was the first film on the internet in 1991 - which is why I ended up watching it (although it took me over 10 years to get around to it from when I first heard about it). It somehow manages to touch on: visions of the dead, weird insect telepathy, secret weapons being tested on an army base, Christian mysticism & iconography, a mention of possible demons, some sort of shamanic vision quest, time dilations, space/dimension travel, and a bunch of other bizarre shit. It has kind of an amateur feel to it because it's written, directed, acted and narrated by just one guy - but it is worth a watch as it is something of a historical oddity (if you watch it remember that no one else was doing this stuff in 1991 and now we have YouTube). Don't expect a conventional narrative. It's VERY trippy and dream-like, so if watching stuff while high is your thing, that could be fun. It's actually kind of wanky due to it being by just one dude, but it might seem profound on drugs.
>>
File: images (43).jpg (14KB, 495x297px) Image search: [Google]
images (43).jpg
14KB, 495x297px
John Dies at the End
(2012 film)
This one is quite an unexpected gem. It's clever for what it is, well paced and has some quite funny moments. Some of you may have seen it already? Anyway, I won't even try to describe it but it's paranormal as fuck and a fun, mind-bending romp even if it is a little silly.
>>
File: images (49).jpg (12KB, 357x200px) Image search: [Google]
images (49).jpg
12KB, 357x200px
Mysterious Skin
(2004 film)
Wasn't sure if this one was appropriate to mention. I think it is a good film (as in, tastefully done for the subject matter) but will be deeply unsettling for some people. One of the two main characters has memories of seeing a UFO, losing time and experiencing an alien abduction as a child and is trying to prove it, make sense of it or try to find someone who will believe him or help him understand what happened. The other one is dealing with very different memories of something that happened to him that same summer. Don't watch if you don't want to see a bunch of child sexual abuse.
>>
File: images (51).jpg (24KB, 523x281px) Image search: [Google]
images (51).jpg
24KB, 523x281px
Waking Life
(2001 film)
If you haven't seen this yet, watch it now. I'm sure it won't be everyone's cup of tea but this is one of my all time favourites. It's THE movie for anyone interested in lucid dreaming. It's Rotoscoped like A Scanner Darkly and my favourite monologue near the end talks about Philip K Dick.
>>
File: unnamed (2).jpg (41KB, 510x289px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (2).jpg
41KB, 510x289px
>>17933855
(Points for self-immolation scene)
>>
Okay, that's all for the moment. I'll check back in a couple hours.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.