[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Southern Creatures...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: paul-bearer.jpg (30KB, 603x384px) Image search: [Google]
paul-bearer.jpg
30KB, 603x384px
Hey /x/, I've been having a hard time trying to find a list of mythical creatures of the american south.
I mean, there's plenty of sites on the skunk ape, the Rougarou, and other larger creatures; but, I'm looking for things similar to the jackalope or a chupacabra. Voodoo inspired is a plus, but not necessary.
whether you post creatures, stories or steer me to the right websites, much appreciated.
thanks in advance, /x/!
>>
bumping for anything
>>
bumpity-bump-bump
>>
I am also interested. Just satin
>>
bumping for interest
>>
check chiloe's rich mythology. This is an island on the southern part of Chile, and has very interesting creatures and tales.
>>
>>17924675
>chiloe's rich mythology
thanks, anon! checking out now.
>>
MY UNDERTAKER WILL DESTROY HIM AT SUMMER SLAM
>>
File: EthelCorn.jpg (58KB, 350x332px) Image search: [Google]
EthelCorn.jpg
58KB, 350x332px
>>17924620
Read the Foxfire series of books for Southern Appalachian lore in general. I think it's vol 8 that has a section dedicated to supernatural stories in particular. The entire series is wonderful, and much of the information would be dead today were it not for the magazine/books effort to preserve it.
>>
>>17924729
thanks so much! all of this so far has been great. much appreciated.
>>
>>17924692
kek that guy died for realz. heart attack. wresslers sure live healthy lifestyles and shit.
>>
My state, SC, has our own Lizard Man. Swamps can be spooky places...
>>
>>17924620
Argentina has a few: Haunted buildings seem to be the most common, specially around the cities, but there is also a few well known ghost stories like "El Futre" and weird creatures, like "Nahuelito" Bariloche's local version of Nessy.
>>
Generations of Abbeville children have listened wide-eyed to their parents tell the story of Huggin' Molly. They have hurried home on nights lit only by the moon's glow, certain they saw something in the shadows, afraid she would be around the next corner. Legend says, if she happens upon you, she chases you down, gives you a huge hug and screams in your ear.

It's a ghost though, not a cryptid.
>>
The creepiest thing in Appalachian Mountains is me :)
>>
>>17925952
I'll have to introduce you to my mother-in-law's neighbours, then.

>>17924620
Re: Southern Creatures - there's these ones that come to mind for the Southern USA:
1) The Lake Worth Monster AKA Texas Goat Man.
2) The Ozark Howler.
3) The Pope Lick Monster (another Goat Man).
4) The Fouke Monster. Check out the Legend of Boggy Creek, it's a documentary type thing on it.
>>
I saw a skin walker type thing in florida... want to hear??
>>
Rawhead & Bloodybones. My grandfather used to tell me stories about him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Bones
>>
>>17926058
The Legend of Boggy Creek wasn't a serious movie. In fact it's kind of what inspired the Blair Witch Project which means that it is from the bowels of hell and Charles Pierce should be killed slowly for inspiring such useless shit. Or just mercilessly mocked if you wanna be a pussy about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8vLjlme390
>>
GA here, we don't really talk about it much, when I lived with my grandpa back in the day, his Indian buddy Nashoba told us about lots of shit and taught us how to ward off and even fight the bad medicine that could hurt us or our farm. Not much use in just talking, it's hard enough keeping the shit under wraps from the damned people here, because all the bible thumper would scream demon or Satan and try to pray it away or lock you up for believing in fairy tales, despite your animals getting obliterated by a fucking duali
>>
>>17924620
I'm from North Carolina and we have some weird stuff around here if you're interested.
>>
>>17925425
Oh hell yeah, chief. Same here above you. Easy to get lost in swamp, things look so similar after a while, no to mention having to circumnavigate particularly treacherous areas throwing you off course.
>>17929856
We got the ghost light on the railroad tracks around my part.

OP, have you heard of Wampus Cats?
>>
Well there's a headless man who rides throughout Texas with his detached head bouncing around in his lap. I guess it's just a ghost but I wanted to feel helpful.
>>
>>17924620
If you want to count West Virginia as southern (I sure do) it's home to the Mothman.
>>
>>17924620
The oklahoma octopus
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.