[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

instantaneous annihilation vs continuity of consciousness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: hoon.jpg (74KB, 200x290px) Image search: [Google]
hoon.jpg
74KB, 200x290px
most scientists of today, it seems, believe and propagate what i will call the theory of "instantaneous annihilation": that we are just the product of evolution, that consciousness is produced by the physical brain, that when the brain dies at death, the individual is instantaneously annihilated forever.

perhaps this view is fairly new in the western world, which was dominated by christianity for long, but it is just an old theory in the east. 2500 years ago, when the historical buddha lived, there were plenty of influential teachers who propagated the exact same theory and it had the exact same effect on their way of life, namely, encouraging indulgence in pleasures here and now. after all, if you believe that birth is the beginning, death is the end, and there is no continuity from life to life, then why not simply maximize one's pleasures before the inevitable annihilation implicit in death?

furthermore, the scientists like to say or imply that it's merely "wishful thinking" to think otherwise, as if all religions are just resting on a pathetic, naive hope of eternal individuality, the survival of a personal soul that is born once, dies once, but lives on forever more elsewhere, whether in heaven or hell.

now, perhaps that is true for the monotheistic religions, that they are resting on a naive hope of perpetual personality extending beyond death into eternity, but it is quite the opposite for ancient buddhism.

let me explain: the theory of rebirth (that is, repeated births and deaths, not "rebirth" as in "spiritual rebirth" or "born again" etc) was NOT used to give hope but rather to inspire dread and terror at the prospect of living yet another life of suffering, forced to undergo all the same types of experiences, struggling to survive, meeting with the horror of life again and again.

cont
>>
now, from the perspective of these ancient buddhist and jain ascetics, for whom life was, ultimately speaking, deeply marred by suffering, due to the impermanence of all things, the inevitable wearing down, decay, death, and disappearance of all we hold near and dear, the only "wishful thinkers" were the materialists who assumed death to be instantaneous annihilation, because they assumed that no matter how they lived, no matter what they did, they were simply obliterated by death, thus rendering all such things as spiritual discipline meaningless and pointless, elevating nihilistic hedonism to the supreme position.

to these ancient ascetics, the realistic way of thinking was the theory of rebirth, the cycle of births and deaths within samsara, and the idea of attaining liberation therefrom by uprooting all craving for pleasure and continued existence, aspiring to the great and final extinction of nirvana.

suppose that the scientific theory is true; well, do we really need to know it? if it's automatic annihilation, what does it matter how we lived, what we believed, except that our beliefs may preclude us from the hedonistic indulgences embraced by scientific nihilists? we gain nothing from believing in instantaneous annihilation. on the other hand, if we side with the theory of rebirth, we gain a far reaching outlook into the future, realizing that if we do not do something soon, we will be automatically recycled, reborn, and remain trapped within life, which is suffering. we gain a view to attaining liberation and freedom, we perceive a way, outlined by the buddhas, for attaining nirvana via a strict life of discipline and wisdom.
>>
scientists like richard dawkins love to debate christians, love to refute their naive doctrines, but shy away from even approaching the perspective of ancient jains and buddhists. could it be that they would not know how to approach the debate, since it is not wishful thinking on the part of buddhists, but realistic thinking, and that it exposes the materialistic bias as being wishful thinking all along? would a scientist like richard dawkins, apparently in love with the mysteries of science, prefer to be reborn and live again, rather than attain the extinction he assumes is instantaneous with his death?
>>
>be me
>be born
>advanced child speech and life in general is easy
>didthisb4.jpeg
>have depression because humans suck and I don't belong
>waiting for meat sack of me to die so I can go to next meat sack/ or new place
I just believe there is more and if I do get instantly annihilated I won't be made about it cuz I won't exist
>>
>>17889593
>most scientists of today
source
>>
>>17889695
Lol basically this. Its inherent to us to want to live as long as possible to continue our species onward so we want to believe that we'll live forever, even after we die, which is actually an insane thing to believe as there is absolutely no evidence to suggest such a thing.

The only way to take this to prove that you're a mentally healthy individual is that it is unknowable, and if we are 'instantly annihilated' its whatever because we won't exist to care about it.

tl;dr what comes after death is unknowable so fuck shit up while you're alive
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.