[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Pyramid Texts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Unas_Pyramidentexte.jpg (3MB, 2777x2136px) Image search: [Google]
Unas_Pyramidentexte.jpg
3MB, 2777x2136px
The Pyramid Texts are a collection of magical writings intended for various pharoahs.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/egipto/pyramid_texts

My question is about the recurring "N." throughout the text - I haven't found an explanation for this, nor is it clear from context. Can someone familiar with this material shed some light, please? Thanks!
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuit
>Nut is an Egyptian sky goddess who leans over her husband/brother, Geb, the Earth God. She is usually depicted as a naked woman who is covered with stars. She represents the All, pure potentiality both as it flowers into the physical universe and as it resides beyond embodiment.
>>
>>17878941
That occurred to me too, but there are many explicit references to Nut/Nuit throughout the text, which all make sense in terms of commonly understood symbolism of Nuit.

The "N." in the translation linked seems to be a different reference. I'm still stumped.
>>
N. = Pepe II, a pharoah, apparently.

It's explained in the introduction.
>>
>>17878928
>My question is about the recurring "N." throughout the text - I haven't found an explanation for this, nor is it clear from context.
Did you check the introductory notes?

My memory's a bit fuzzy, but I assumed "N" referred to the name of the individual buried there.

The Pyramid Texts were basically printed funerary rites. If I'm not mistaken, "N" appears any time they're addressing the individual buried, praising them and wishing them luck among the gods.
>>
>>17879256
To clarify - the Pyramid Texts from a number of pyramids, so it covers multiple kings and queens. And "N" simply replaces that, to cover most occurrences, since there is repetition among them.
>>
Jesus Christ

>Auguste Mariette had the distinction, in the later part of his life, of being the modern discoverer of the inscribed pyramids at Saḳḳâreh,, but it was Maspero in 1880 working under Mariette's direction, who discovered the first set of Pyramid Texts. They were those inscribed on the walls of the sarcophagus chamber of the pyramid of Pepi I. Following that, he found texts in the pyramids of Unis of the Fifth Dynasty, as well as in the pyramids of Teti, Merenrē‘, and Pepi II, in addition to Pepi I, all of the Sixth Dynasty. This work of discovery of pyramid texts did not find a continuation until the years 1920 and 1936, when the Swiss Egyptologist, Jéquier, discovered texts in the pyramids of Oudjebten, Neit, and Apouit, queens of Pepi II, and in that of Ibi, an obscure king of the Seventh Dynasty, besides clearing that of Pepi II, whom Sethe records as N. (Neferkarē‘).

It's right fucking there for anybody who wants to read it.
>>
>>17879213
>Pepe
Stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it
I am sick of the memes
>>
>>17879285
>>17879265
Thanks, this is the answer I was missing.

Fascinating read, so far.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.