[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i dont get slender man

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9

File: 150220_wn_muir0_16x9_992.jpg (32KB, 992x558px) Image search: [Google]
150220_wn_muir0_16x9_992.jpg
32KB, 992x558px
Hi /x/. I don't normally come here but I've been watching some ARG and youtube series stuff and there's something I gotta say.

I don't get Slender Man. I don't understand what makes him scary. As far as every single recent horror icon goes, Slender Man evokes like a 0 on the fear factor for me. And I consider myself and easily scared guy, I don't play modern horror games cuz I get scared really easily. Shit man, fucking Dead Space was too spooky for me at the time.

For me it's the suit. The suit just ruins anything scary about the character. Like, where did he get the suit? From which tailor? Does he keep anything in the pockets? What happens if he gets it dirty? Does he take it to the dry cleaner? If he comes to touch my goodies does he try to do it discretely so I don't stain the suit? If he's an alien or ghost or ancient cosmic horror then still where did he get the suit? When I see him in Marble Hornets or whatever it still looks tacky as fuck. I can get spooked by someone in ghost makeup or a rubber monster suit but any Slender Man costume looks like someone in a shitty fake business suit with a sock on his head.

I dunno much about design theory or whatever, but the business suit humanizes Slender Man too much for me to be scared. Regardless of what context in whatever media, I just get lots of questions about why he's wearing a suit. Fuck, if I was lost in the woods at night and saw Slender Man I'd just be overcome with the desire to smear shit on his suit just to piss him off. I can't even think of him as some incomprehensible horror, I think of him as a "him" because of his shitty suit and sense of fashion.

So guys, are people actually scared of Slender Man just in general? Do people actually think he works as a horror icon or is this just a big meme or something? Like if everyone decided to pretend Dat Boi was some really scary thing and push it as a joke. What am I missing?
>>
>>17845882
you're about 5 years too late for the "slenderman is scary" meme, lady
>>
>>17845898
I never found him scary back then, and it just bothered me slightly this whole time. So I decided to look up the whole Marble Hornets and related stuff and... I still don't get it. Like, was he ever scary? Was he supposed to be or was he just like a cult hero for indie horror?
>>
>>17845882
You're kind of autistically overanalyzing what's supposed to be an urban legend type character.

Couldn't really pin down what makes him scary, but he scared the fuck out of my little brother when he was 10 so I guess you're just a bit late to the party.
>>
>>17845903
>Was he supposed to be
Yeah. It's just something you're not getting, I guess.

He's a stalker. He appears randomly, and the more afraid of him you are, the more likely he'll show up. The suit kind of comes in with that. He's not just some spooky monster, he's a disturbingly tall, faceless man, dressed up in human clothing. He's supposed to be humanized, and the uncanny valley of him having no face and an unnaturally proportioned body adds to the spook value.
>>
Slender Man was so cool when it first started appearing. To steal a quote describing 'It Follows', it felt "like an urban legend you've known your whole life."

There was just something so simple and spooky about him to me, that it made it... I won't say believable, but sort of 'real'. Like the wendigo, or the boogeyman - it felt like a spooky story that parents had been telling their kids for generations.

Anyone still have the screencap of the original fake wiki page that was set up way back when? The one detailing all the 'sightings' throughout history?
>>
>>17845882
>is this just a big meme or something?
Kind of. People aren't pretending to be afraid, it's just that most of the people scared aren't horror fans and don't know better. And then they think it's the best thing ever and show all their friends. Big things always work like that.

It was never all that big here, although we did have regular Marble Hornets threads. But that's not surprising, we're used to corny movie monsters and ARGs and memes. Slender Man is about as scary as Freddie Krueger, and for about the same reasons.
>>
>>17845882

it's as scary as the grifter, scp, fnaf, and everything else along the lines

in other words, it's just a meme

it's not even urban real life - tier horror myth like the bloody mary

it's just something off the net, the kind of shit 10 year olds like to talk about and get "spooked" by their own wordings, shitty spookypasta forced meme

TLDR: it was never scary
>>
>>17846136
>It was never all that big here

Oh, it was, for a little while. Then a combination of mainstreamfags and overuse killed it.
>>
>>17845945

>was so cool

were you like 10 then and 16 now?

it's nothing like the wendigo or boogeyman, urban myth parents tell to their children

it's more like asscrap meme CHILDREN tell to themselves
>>
shadow guy is like the new slender man
>>
>>17846382
Newfag, pls go. Shadowmen have been around LONG before Slenderman.
>>
File: 1354845652746.jpg (847KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1354845652746.jpg
847KB, 2560x1600px
>>17845882

>posts least scary, least stalky slenderman pic
>>
>>17847825
>OP is obviously a newfag
>>
>>17845882
only seems to scare kids or the pewdiepewpew audience
>>
>>17845882
In the original SA thread where Slender Man was started ("Create Paranormal Images") it wasn't meant to be "scary."
It was just one of many knowingly fake paranormal images and stories made. Unnerving maybe, and probably the best OC in the thread as it eventually took over, but not scary.

Then Marble Hornets started and it started to lean more towards jump scare territory, but is still remained as a (known) made up urban legend.
Then the Unity game came out and went full jump scare. At that point Slender Man went from something of an Internet in-joke to "omg sooo scary!!" YouTube/DeviantArt fodder.
>>
>>17847825
Posts an image where you have to comb the fucking screen to try and be spooped.
>>
>>17847909
Yeah I don't see it
>>
>>17845882
Slendy was created by a Something Awful user for a photo editing thread. He literally just added a vague suited tall humanoid figure into some seemingly random images.

That's it.

All the rest was piled on by things like Marble Hornets, other youtube vlog series, creepypastas, more edited photos, and games like Slender.
>>
I found it creepy, but only because I came in after the "make paranormal images" stage, and people were actually trying to build mythology around him, and some of it did have some nice internal logic and verisimilitude. I did start to look over my shoulder in spite of myself, and thats where a lot of the best scares come from, when you know its fake, but start to believe a bit anyway...

He was creepy, but only actually if you were the kind of teenage faggot that could be convinced that meme magic and tulpas could maybe, just maybe lead to something tangible.

Just as I was thinking of doing an essay on all this shit for college though, the game hit youtube, e-celebs gave slendy hios 15 mins of e-fame and that intangible feeling wore off fucking immediately.
>>
>>17847825
Is there even a slender man in this photo?
I can't see it as
>>
think of the suit like this, a clown isnt scary, but a clown in your room at 3am is
>>
File: slendie.jpg (118KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
slendie.jpg
118KB, 1680x1050px
>>
File: slenderman.gif (2MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
slenderman.gif
2MB, 360x270px
>>
File: slendie2.png (1MB, 545x971px) Image search: [Google]
slendie2.png
1MB, 545x971px
>>
File: slendie_files.png (455KB, 623x507px) Image search: [Google]
slendie_files.png
455KB, 623x507px
>>
File: file_167597_0_Manute71711.jpg (65KB, 312x470px) Image search: [Google]
file_167597_0_Manute71711.jpg
65KB, 312x470px
>>17848518
>>
>>17845882
Have you been watching NightMargin?
Shit's cash yo?
>>
File: buffy-hush.jpg (34KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
buffy-hush.jpg
34KB, 1024x576px
I'm going to throw out the idea that he's scary because while the suit humanizes him, when you look at him more, you see that oh shit he's got no face, those arms are too long, does he have claws, too? Kind of like the Gentlemen from Buffy. At first, from a distance they seem like normal people, then you see that they're floating, and they have too big creep ass smiles.
>>
>>17845903

Marble Hornets wasn't a fucking documentary. Lol.
>>
>>17845882
>slenderman thread

Fuck I havent seen one of these in years. The summerfags really are upon us, not that its a bad thing though, I do miss slenderman
>>
>>17846372
>stop liking what I don't like
And I'm the child?
>>
>>17849144
It was originally that each person would see a different or blurred face when they saw him in person but he wouldn't have a face when photographed
>>
>>17846372
Hey man fuck you, slenderman was horrifying in his time
>>
>>17847825
Where is he?
>>
File: phantasm-tall-man.jpg (40KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
phantasm-tall-man.jpg
40KB, 300x450px
YOU THINK YOU GO TO HEAVEN WHEN YOU DIE?

YOU GO TO US
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.