[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's keeping me awake at night.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

File: maxresdefault.jpg (25KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
25KB, 1920x1080px
What do you think is out there in that seemingly infinite darkness?

How probable are the chances of interstellar invasion? What if we were attacked? Wouldn't we get absolutely decimated?
>>
I'm less afraid of what is out there in this infinite darkness than of what is inside the seemingly darkness of so many people that are walking the streets.
>>
>>17810762
We already know how bad people can be, just by flicking through a history book, or switching on the news.

What scares me more is the complete unknown.
>>
>>17810767
Well what can I say?
Try a few doses of DMT and you will see.

Now ofcourse I have mentioned the taboo and most likely I will not be taken seriously. That is alright with me.

Think, humanity is quite older than the.. what? 20 to 30 years you have been alife?

If there is something out there that could potentialy help or harm us then it is already here.
Humanity is very slow with the technology that it is using at this point in time.
It can do some things, but slowly and not all too far out.

Your telescopes see nothing.

Dimethyltryptamine however, which is produced by your organism can change your perception in a drastic way. And while you yourself remain the same as you sit here now will start to see things in your very room that you have not been seeing before and you will never see like this again.

Science is all good and well but it can only do so much. It's a tool and maybe our tools are not enough.
It kind of shows, doesn't it?

It's up to everyone to decide for himself.
And like I've said I have no more reason to be afraid of anything that is *out there*, but of what is in the people.
The most horrifying acts have all been done by people. Either to themselfes or to others.

If there is something worse than us then I welcome it, because it will put humanity in its place and once again we will have to work together instead of against eachother.
That is a much more comforting thought than being butchered or enslaved by raving madmen of my own kind.
>>
>>17810801
I feel there's always going to be something stronger, better, faster and smarter than us.

But the fact we have no safeguards in place worries me, yes humanity can be bad, but we have also achieved some pretty amazing feats (subjectively) and extinction would waste all we have accomplished scientifically and technologically.

I'd love some DMT, but I live in Scotland :(
>>
>>17810801
>Your telescopes see nothing
>drugs, hower

Im a big fan of certain substances, too. But natural observation are much more valuable than introspective drug induced observations.
>>
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

A.C.Clarke
>>
>>17810759

Aliens are demons. Scientism will be their cover.
>>
>>17810864
>Scientism
what
>>
>>17810860
Brilliant quote.

>>17810864
>aliens are demons

Where does it say that?
>>
>>17810872

Basically, treating science as a religion. If a guy in a white labcoat says something reddit is all over it as objectively true even though skepticism is an extremely necessary component of real science.
>>
>>17810893
>Basically, treating science as a religion
> a guy in a white labcoat

oh man, you seem to have a warped view on science.
I think what you describe is naivety/ ignorance. There is nothing religous about science
>>
>>17810901

*tip*

I obviously did not mean the guy in the white labcoat literally, although you do see it in Bill Nye.
>>
>>17810901

you fucking idiot he didn't say science itself is religious, not real science anyway, he meant that reddit tier normies treat certain science as if it were religious, even though what is accepted in science can change and skepticism is rational (thus the word scientism).
>>
>>17810928
>I think what you describe is naivety/ ignorance
>>
>>17810936

Scientism is an actual word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism
>>
>>17810942
well, duh
>>
>>17810928
>he meant that reddit tier normies treat certain science as if it were religious
no they dont
>>
>religious person gets criticised for blindly believing something is true without evidence
>hurr durr, you are religious too! you just believe in science instead of god
>scientism!
>>
>>17810955
>>17810978

Looks like the butthurt reddit scientists are out.
>>
File: 1436659892699.png (969KB, 1714x963px) Image search: [Google]
1436659892699.png
969KB, 1714x963px
We keep learning more things about "out there" and I think it is great.

But, I also love this quote from HP Lovecraft:

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
>>
>>17810985
yeah. good point.
Classic argumentation of somebody, who knows shit about science.
Whats with your obsession with reddit, btw? You keep bringing that up
>>
>>17810988
Damn
>>
File: 1443569734701.jpg (2MB, 1029x830px) Image search: [Google]
1443569734701.jpg
2MB, 1029x830px
>>17810998

I'm just messing around. There's really no point in arguing with you considering you won't even try to to understand what I'm talking about.
>>
>>17810759
the light of the almighty source banishes those that lurk in the dark plotting against their fellows. let bastards know.
>>
File: pillars.jpg (28KB, 236x315px) Image search: [Google]
pillars.jpg
28KB, 236x315px
>>17810988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXazEYi3P8
>>
>>17811009
is this shooped?
>>
File: the new ark.jpg (72KB, 564x608px) Image search: [Google]
the new ark.jpg
72KB, 564x608px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwWyTts06tU

I would love to hear what Neil has to say now.
>>
>>17811009
well, nice assumption there mate
So far you talked a lot about reddit, so forgive me if I didnt take you too seriously.
And now you are basically saying "I could explain myself, but I wont, because you are too ignorant anyway"
doesnt seem very convincing
>>
>>17810759
>What do you think is out there in that seemingly infinite darkness?
Billions of other planets with intelligent life, including those that have mastered traveling through space.

>How probable are the chances of interstellar invasion?
Slim to none, for a very simple reason....if you can develop the technology to traverse the cosmos, then you can develop the technology to mine the seemingly limitless number of asteroid fields in the cosmos for any raw material you desire. The only thing that seems rare in the cosmos is life itself, and there is no need to do anything but take a few of any given species and use them for a breeding / cloning program. Invasion is pointless.

>What if we were attacked? Wouldn't we get absolutely decimated?

Yes.

Attacking a planet like ours requires little more than re-directing a few decent sized asteroids to land in the oceans around the world. The tsunami waves created by such an attack would destroy 40% of the world population, and the majority of the rest would succumb to famine, or the smaller asteroids dropped from orbit directed against inland population centers.

If they wanted to simply kill the entire planet, they could re-direct a few asteroids that would be large enough to create a dust storm sufficient to block the sunshine, which would kill every plant on the planet, and every mammal on the planet soon after that...
>>
File: 1441935598720.jpg (403KB, 2475x1605px) Image search: [Google]
1441935598720.jpg
403KB, 2475x1605px
>>17810988
>>17811016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpzUNUHGdfY
>>
>>17810801
>Try a few doses of DMT and you will see.

You see shit on DMT because it impacts the visual centers of your brain, not because you have any ability to "see" shit outside the world.

Fuck off with your bullshit.
>>
>>17810759
>assuming they're not already here
>>
>>17810893
>skepticism...

Is a bias as harmful as certainty.

Neither have a place in "science", and it is this bias that scientific method strives to eliminate and replace with empirical evidence.
>>
>>17810856
Valuable in one way maybe.
Your whole organism already runs on drugs.
Your vision now is 100% drug induced.
You cannot depart from this whatsoever. This is the organic structure.

Or are you mechanical?

>>17811048
>impacts the visual centers of your brain
I don't think you understand what you are looking at in a "non-drug induced" state. Like I said above, you are working with drugs right now whether you want this or not.

Let me take away all your dopamine and you will look at the world differently than before. I guarantee you this just asmuch as the next sunrise.
Go ask a doctor if you must have an opinion of some of your "learned people"
>>
>>17811094
>I don't think you understand what you are looking at in a "non-drug induced" state.

We are observing how our brains interpret the interaction of photons with matter, or how our brains interpret visual memories. Drugs distort this interpretation, nothing more, nothing less.

Why are so many of you DMT users such morons?
>>
>>17811091
that is absolutely wrong

scepticism is needed in science
>>
>>17811094
>Your vision now is 100% drug induced
well what a bullshit argument. obviously there are a lot of different chemicals involved in our perception. this is not what people mean with drugs. this also doesnt make your trips any better than actual observations of nature either
>>
>What do you think is out there in that seemingly infinite darkness?

I think that there are billions of other worlds, extraordinarily different from our own. However, I don't think we need to give it much thought, for reasons I will elaborate on later.

>How probable are the chances of interstellar invasion? What if we were attacked? Wouldn't we get absolutely decimated?

The chances of interstellar invasion are slim to none. As another anon pointed out, life is one of the rarest things in the universe- it is easier to gain resources from asteroids. Furthermore, our biologies would be completely different due to our separate evolution- they would therefore have no need for breeding with or cloning humans, as some have suggested, and most definitely will not eat us. The main obstacle, however, is the sheer distance of space. Conspiracy theorists and science-fiction writers often forget how massive the scale of the universe, of our galaxy is. A lightyear is merely a year at the speed of light- it is millions of years at un-relativistic speeds. The distance between worlds is so incredibly vast that even if humanity lasts for billions of years (as I personally hold to be believable), we most likely will never meet aliens, save for the likely possibility of Humanity diverging into multiple different humanoid species, which will all be "aliens" to the others.

Therefore, for these reasons, I'd argue that interstellar invasion is unlikely, and that it is not worth worrying about .

As for if we get attacked, I have no clue what would happen. If they use asteroids, all life would be annihilated. Or perhaps we would not. Aliens are just that- Allen. Trying to predict how a completely different species, civilization, and culture would attack is next to impossible. All we can do is speculate.
>>
File: nn.jpg (8KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
nn.jpg
8KB, 125x125px
>>17811165
>thinks holding a bias is needed in science

People like you are why theists claim science is no different than religion....
>>
>>17811232
High schoolers like you don't understand how quickly fields change once you are actually working in the sciences.
But i'm sure your AP chem teacher had the right idea
>>
>>17811232
Did you fail literally every science class in school?
>>
File: baphomet_3_by_mpv666-d3jny3i.jpg (430KB, 900x895px) Image search: [Google]
baphomet_3_by_mpv666-d3jny3i.jpg
430KB, 900x895px
>>17810759
infinite darkness is real. To all the demons. you came from ass and will die in my ass. You WILL all pay the price. Hail your dark lord and master.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.