[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Indigenous Ceremonies and Rituals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (55KB, 480x302px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 480x302px
I am compiling info on rites of passage and rituals by all types of native peoples to any region and would like /x/ to share any they are familiar with.

>Huskenawing

huskenawing, a species of severe probation through which those
were required to pass who desired either to be chiefs or priests. On
this occasion, after various preparatory ceremonies, the children are led
naked through two lines of men, armed with bastinadoes, which are
employed with great rigor against the victims, who, after running
through this gauntlet, are more dead than alive, and are covered with
boughs and leaves of trees. If any expire under this trial, it is esteemed
that the Okee has fixed his heart upon him, and carried him off". The
rest are conveyed into the depths of a wood, and shut up into a cage
or pen, where they are plied with intoxicating drugs till they are said to become for several weeks actually deranged. By this process they
are supposed completely to lose all memory of what they have seen
and known in their former life, and to begin a new and brighter era.
They must not, on their return home, recognize their nearest friends
or comrades, the most common objects, nor even know a word of their
own language ; all must be learned afresh. If any indications of mem -
ory escape, the youth must pass again through the dreadful ordeal.
Above all, he must be careful not to have retained the slightest recol-
lection of any property he may have possessed, and which the neigh-
bors usually consider a favorable opportunity to appropriate.

(The intoxicant used was supposedly a nightshade/datura concoction)
>>
>>17786086
This ceremony was carried out by the Powhatan indians of Virginia and documented by early colonists
>>
Bymb
>>
>>17786086
pic related sounds fun
>>
>>17786387
For sure. I am trying to gather info on the subject to expand on performance art I do with my band when we do live gigs. Currently I do a mixture of alchemical concepts along with Native American traditions in a show. Wearing ceremonial outfits made of local vegetation, cover myself in honey and live ants then eat detritus and begin gagging myself with a deer antler I harvested and purging the waste into ritual vessels. I am trying to develop the performances further so please share any indigenous rituals you know of.
>>
thread is fucking dog shit but I
MUST Thank You for posting that image, for that,
you are a gentleman and a scholar.
>>
>>17786429
No prob but please feel free to add any ceremonies you know of to spark discussion
>>
Ghost Dance

The Ghost Dance was the central rite of a messianic Native American religious movement in the late nineteenth century. It indirectly led to the massacre of some 250 Sioux Indians at Wounded Knee, South Dakota, in 1890, marking an end to the Indian wars. As a trance-enducing rite of a hybrid faith, it combined elements of Christianity with Native American religious traditions.

The Ghost Dance first emerged around 1870 in the Walker Lake area on the California-Nevada border. A Paiute mystic named Wodziwob, or "Fish Lake Joe," began to preach an apocalyptic vision in which a great flood or fire would eliminate the white man from the world and deceased tribal people would return alive to the earth. Wodziwob's assistant, a shaman named Tavibo, spread the new doctrine among Nevada tribes.

The original Ghost Dance fervor among far western American tribes gradually ebbed only to be rekindled in 1888 by Wovoka, Tavibo's son. The new prophet, also known as Jack Wilson, was said to practice miracles such as curing the sick, controlling the weather, and withstanding bullets shot at him. Wovoka claimed that while feverishly ill he saw in a vision all deceased Indians surrounding the throne of "the Great Spirit" God who told him to teach his people to love one another and to live peacefully with white people. Further, all deceased Indians would return to the earth and recover their ancestral lands. According to the vision, white men and women would retreat to their European homelands. The prophet taught his followers a five-day ritual of song and circle dances that would hasten the coming of this new millennium; hence, the Ghost Dance was born.
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 536x503px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 536x503px
Prrrrrrrt
>>
File: image.jpg (176KB, 750x726px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
176KB, 750x726px
>>17786419
>Currently I do a mixture of alchemical concepts along with Native American traditions in a show. Wearing ceremonial outfits made of local vegetation, cover myself in honey and live ants then eat detritus and begin gagging myself with a deer antler I harvested and purging the waste into ritual vessels
>>
>>17786476
There is a great documentary on the ghost dance done by a Canadian company I think. I'll try to find a link
>>
>>17786086
What does nightshade/datura do?
>>
I met a part native kid on a hiking trip in Colorado. He told me about a ceremony involving a southwestern tribe's young men, essentially hooking their nipples to a large pole, and dancing circularly around it to induce a trance state from heat exhaustion and dehydration. It lasts hours. I think he called it a sun dance.
>>
>>17791089
This was old or is it still being practiced?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.