[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Elder Gods Rising

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 14

File: guavajuice.jpg (110KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
guavajuice.jpg
110KB, 736x552px
I've always been wondering, for Lovecraft's stories, what exactly would a post apocalyptic world after the Elder Gods and the other creatures rise look like?
>>
File: Anteverse_01.jpg (717KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Anteverse_01.jpg
717KB, 1280x960px
>>17769543
>>
>>17769543
they would look like assholes
>>
>>17769543
They'd eat the cities, release young, and go back to sleep. Their spawn would hunt the scattered survivors. With no mystical knowledge, those survivors would have to fight large squishy monsters with physical force.

The disruptions in supply chains caused by a chaos would mean that fuel, food, and ammunition would be limited resources. Electricity and internet would be down. Eventually the numbers on both sides would dwindle, and humanity would have room to start working its way out of the Stone Age again.
>>
>>17769543
Lovecraft never even mentioned the word "Elder God", you turboautist.
>b...but muh Cthulhu Mythos additions, muh role playing games!
Kill yourself
>>
>>17769543
>world
This is your first mistake.
>>
>>17769543
>great old ones*

and also i would be amazed if the human race had anny survivor at all i think the great old ones would strip the planet of all higher forms of life once all of them had awoken. shit would probably get fuckedup after a single day.
>>
>>17769543
Realistically no one and nothing would be left. It would have all been consumed.
>>
>>17769693
the source material does.what he used as inspiration for his work mentions elder gods and ancient ones. 2 species of gods that at 1 time had been 1 species of gods that come from a specific star in a constellation i forget the name of
>>
>>17769543
Holy shit everyone in this thread is mad
>>
>>17770689
>the source material
>what he used as inspiration
You have to be kidding me right now.
How many times do retards like you need to be reminded that the Necronomicon is a fictional book, and that the terms "Elder God" and "Cthulhu Mythos" were created by August Derleth?
>>
File: EmbracePain.jpg (379KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
EmbracePain.jpg
379KB, 1920x1280px
>>17769543
Something beyond human comprehension.
>>
They would be Creepypastas. Jeff the Killer, Ben Drowned, Laughing Jack etc. xDDDDD
>>
Chaos, slavery of all the humanity (use as food probably) and they will probably travel space to torture other form of life or to wait new kind of civilisation (not human i mean) reborn on earth.

>>17771349
>>
File: Deep fried ones.jpg (530KB, 1280x1974px) Image search: [Google]
Deep fried ones.jpg
530KB, 1280x1974px
>>17769543
we'd shoot the deep ones, nuke dagon and cthulhu, and neutron bomb the shoggoths out of antarctica for good measure before adapting mi-go technology to turn us into a race of near immortal cyborgs descending on the universe with fire and sword.
>but in the grand scheme of things our temporary victory is meaningless as the elder gods are beings outside of time cuz lovecraft shoobidy doo wop it's magic i ain't gotta explain shit nigga

lovecraft and his contemporaries wrote most of their stories before planes, machine guns, tanks, and self loading smallarms existed, let alone . Lovecraft died 8 years before the atom bomb, hell he died before WWII even happened, never seeing the unthinkable manmade horrors of the heavy bomber, jet fighter, or the main battle tank.

As tesla said, you will live to see manmade horrors beyond your comprehension. The great race, elder things, deep ones, the mi-go, etc. pale in comparison to the eldritch horror that is man.
>>
>>17769543
Are there any good books set in a world as described by OP or similar?
>>
File: 1449188696449.jpg (1MB, 1668x1676px) Image search: [Google]
1449188696449.jpg
1MB, 1668x1676px
>>17771451
>lovecraft and his contemporaries wrote most of their stories before planes, machine guns, tanks, and self loading smallarms existed

Confirmed for retard casual. Those all existed in Lovecraft's time.
Literally the only killable monsters in the stories are low-tier Deep Ones, shoggoths and some of the alien races, which even then are all still pretty hard to beat . Cthulhu keeps regenerating from any damage and none of the Great Old Ones are even from this dimension. Nukes would do jackshit to someone like Nyarlathotep or Yog-Sothoth.
>>
File: 1464303190160.jpg (427KB, 1280x1792px) Image search: [Google]
1464303190160.jpg
427KB, 1280x1792px
> big fish eat little fish
>>
File: the horror.jpg (287KB, 2048x1496px)
the horror.jpg
287KB, 2048x1496px
>>17771451
>lovecraft and his contemporaries wrote most of their stories before planes, machine guns, tanks, and self loading smallarms existed
>What is World War One
>>
>>17769543
vast human slavery, some places because of geography would resist for longer, nuclear wasteland.
>>
>>17771451
that was a good comic
>>
>>17771526
What comic. Sauce pls.
>>
File: davy_crockett.jpg (55KB, 600x599px) Image search: [Google]
davy_crockett.jpg
55KB, 600x599px
>>17771485
>doesn't understand the massive tech leap that occurred during WWII and the cold war
pick up a book faggot

>hard to beat
yeah all those unarmed humans sure had trouble, a ERW totes wouldn't damage on a molecular level the physical form of any eldritch horror with a corporeal form.
>cthulhu
got btfo by a ship hitting him and went to sleep without destroying humanity
>dagon
drives you mad if you look at him... good thing tomahawk missiles and dial a yield W80 nuclear warheads don't have souls.

all the aliens in lovecraft are weaksauce Xenos when taken out of their 19th century context.

>nyarlathotep
>not being too busy guarding the lesser gods of earth to decide to wipe out humanity for shits and giggles
>yog-sathoth
>not beaten repeatedly (but our feeble himan

>>17771520
WWI had biplanes dropping hand grenades and tanks that moved 3mph vulnerable to light machinegun fire. WWII saw the greatest static fortresses of europe laid low and whole cities (dresden) wiped off the map, the rise of the tank from mechanized light artillery to a shock force sweeping across the plains of eurasia. WWII saw the start of the nuclear age, the jet age, the rise of the aircraft carrier and the death of the battleship, etc. 8 years after lovecraft died and decades after the bulk of his bolt actions and wicker airplanes period cosmic horror.

in 1025, , 1525, 1825, or 1925 the idea of a gorillion pyranha men coming from the waves in a churning horde would be a civilization ending cataclysm. in 1945 they'red be more standing army in europe, asia, and the americas than deep ones, even if they numbered in the millions from their few holdfasts. Everything in the lovecraft bestiary has been eclipsed by man, but for the copout of "muh unknowable eldritch horrors which are beyond your feeble comprehension, sure you beat _____ this time but a cosmic intelligence outside of time cares not for ants ;_;

>>17771536
FISHDICKS
I
S
H
D
I
C
K
S
>>
>>17771575
Yes, you are right on most of that. It is true that WW2 took those technologies to a whole new order of magnitude; but it was far from completely unexpected. Many sci-fi authors had seen it coming; especially H G Wells. War of the Worlds, The War in the Air (aerial supremacy and strategic bombing destroying cities, 1908), The Shape of Things to Come (atom bombs, 1933).

The thing about the elder gods is that you have no idea what they are actually capable of, you barely scratch the surface before you go insane. It's also implied that they and other alien races possess technology far more advanced than we do today.
>>
>>17771845
Highly doubt they have microwavable pizza
>>
The Mound >>>>>> At the Mountains of Madness

prove me wrong
>>
>>17769543

Read "The Cruel Empire of Tsan Chan."

There you go.
>>
>>17771845
and that the mi-go die easy when you shoot them.
Humans are an aberration to the natural order lovecraftian lore established. We don't worship at the altar of any outer god like the other races, our power in the material universe is our own. the elder things and mi go rely on the occult and artificial selection (at their own hand or more likely the hand of _____ cosmic entity) while humanity popped up during one of the lulls in the cosmic slap fight and searched long and hard for thier deity and found it in unlocking the secrets of the universe for themselves. In The Mound and Bishops contributions to the lore the Highly technologically advanced densens of K'n-yan are referred to as "old ones" while in lovecraft's work the old ones can keep the deep ones in check and are considered mysterious prehuman _________s and something something yog sothoth the neutral god from outside our universe who gifts knowledge to those who seek it for good or ill.

There is no real evidence that the mi go or elder things were actually that technologically advanced, just specialized to their roles; the mi go can fly through space, they didn't develop space travel. We've been on this planet for 200,000 years and all of human development occurred in the last 2.5% of it, with the lions share of technological advancement happening in the last .3% and the biggest leap taking place in .05% of our time on earth.

For 99.95% of our history on this planet we would be at the mercy of lovecraftian horrors, but ironically within a decade of the death of the progenitor of this fictional universe human advancement trumped the threat of fishmen and aliens.

>>17771862
this
>>
>>17771451
>implying any human would be sane after the rise of the great old ones
>>
>>17772004
>insane people aren't capable of organized extermination of a literal personification of the "other"

I now want to see a series/comic that is essentially crossed fighting the minions of dagon and cthulhu. none of this pussy roll over and die the old ones are here bullshit, I want to see National Guard Abrams following standard anti infantry protocol and doing donuts on deep ones before engaging Dagon with 120mm HEAT
>>
>>17771991
Fair point, but i think it would quickly become and arms race in which our technological advantage could be quickly surpassed. Sure would stun the elder gods initially that we have achieved so much power so quickly.

Also i need to read The Mound.
>>
>>17772055
I would dig that, but i'm not so sure the end result wouldn't be pic related.
Military tactics of today work great against other mechanized armies. They work poorly against goat herders with AK's that wage guerilla warfare. How well would they work against an enemy that defies our understanding of science?
>>
>>17772066
People who have read World War Z will know what i mean, see the Battle of Yonkers
>>
File: bekinski.jpg (558KB, 1697x1818px)
bekinski.jpg
558KB, 1697x1818px
>>17772057
the elder things got btfo by shoggoths, not that shoggoths wouldn't be a problem for humanity, and a 4 way war between them and the yith, mi-go, and starspawn. Seems all the spoops are pretty evenly matched and in severe decline by the time man evolves let alone gets to the modern era.

>>17772066
>works poorly
because of theater goals, not because of tech or training. the point of being there isn't to kill everyone, just the right one and preserve peace until the reigns can be taken up by a puppet state since old school imperialism and colonization is bad m'kay ;_;. A war against a literally inhuman enemy with an end goal of absolute destruction is exactly the type of total war scenario the US armed forces (and the russians, and chinese, and various other local country to country ancestral wounds that need itched) has been masturbating too since WWII.

and the point of them being mind broken crossed tier insane is that they don't give a fuck. You'd have fuckers bayonet charging mobs of deep ones and setting off grenades when fatally wounded just because it's more fun than sitting back and gunning them down at 500 yards with machine gun emplacements and mortar fire.

>>17772089
world war Z is garbage and "yonkers" is exactly the opposite of how the US would fight "zombies"
short list
>MK77 firebombs (napalm was too politically incorrect, so they made super napalm to replace it) for "marking" happen to find themselves "marking" targets containing terrorists
>Brooks doesn't know how overpressure works
>M4 carbines fire semi auto and 3 round burst and would be exceptional for slotting zeds
>tanks handle infantry by running them over and machine gunning the survivors and could literally drive from yonkers to new york city unimpeded over the zombie horde
>M1028 120 mm anti-personnel canister cartridge is literally a tank shell filled with 1100 1/2" steel balls with an effective range of 600 meters
modern tanks would be untouchable in an elder god fight
>>
Going digital gives us a huge advantage - we no longer have to see the target and go mad as we try to kill it. We don't need to see a Shoggoth to know it's there. Lidar, radar and all the rest of our surveillance friends can tell us. And they won't go mad.

Now days we just right click on a target from a trident sub and watch it disappear as a nuke hits it :)

Remember, Innsmouth only needed a small old Navy force to push that terror back under the seas.
>>
Or we could construct a temporary wall around R'lyeh, pump the water out of it and let the seagulls take care of them as they flop around.

Then bomb them with salt. And fire. :)
>>
Virtually every God in the Mythos could potentially be driven into a pyrrhic defeat by mankind with technology at current levels. That is, except for Yog-Sothoth. He's explicitly stated to be "the Beginning and the End" as well as "The Gate and the Key" which heavily implies that he is outside of the bounds of reality and persists in all ways outside of any law a mortal could fathom. He has already defeated mankind by the principle of existing.
>>
like any land where one mega-fauna dies. the uncaring continuance of life. maybe a human skull with a plant growing through a socket and a gnat buzzing on one of its leaves. in the background a bored hulking beast with no cause.
>>
>>17769560
>dad why is there a giant ball in the sky that is always on fire
>that's a planet that's gone mad!
>>
>>17772704
>yog sothoth
>being the enemy of mankind
yog sothoth is indifferent and offers knowledge to all that seek it. what they do with it, or what it does to them, is when the battle lines get drawn.
>>
Why you edgy kids think that evolved monkeys have any hope to even stand against the lesser servitor races of the mythos?

Stop Shit posting, your tin cans, pea shooters and firecrackers are a joke.
Nukes aren't going to achieve anything even against the deep ones, other than destroying the environment.

Also the imbeciles who continue to bring up the ramming boat in the CoC story are either trolling are simply retarded.
In the story the great priest of the old ones is essentially dead, what came out of the tomb was something akin to a zombie, an infinitely regenerating undead mountain that walks...
>>
File: 4b0.png (136KB, 622x626px) Image search: [Google]
4b0.png
136KB, 622x626px
>>17771451
>>17771575
>>
>>17774261
This.
The posters from >>17771451 ,>>17772637
,>>17772637, and>>17772665 should be reminded that Lovecraftian horrors differ considerably from your average B-movie monster, and represent a metaphysical kind of horror.The worst of them can't even be comprended, are not composed of ordinary matter, don't even emit ordinary colours, and drive to madness everyone who may see them (some even do it through dreams.).
The stories aren't about big, scary, monsters, but about a completely alien universe, differing completely from mankind's perception, always threatening to invade our small island of sanity, not only through sheer force (see The Shadow over Innsmouth).
So, well, no, you just can't shoot philosophical horror, at least not permanently (there are only a very few stories where the protagonist manages to eliminate the monstrous entities, such as "The Shunned House", and only at great cost.).
Each "victory",or survival of the narrator, is only delaying the inevitable.

However, it is understandable that B-movie-tier confrontations may offer quite a bit of fun, as we all like to imagine such vikings-vs-robots-vs-ninjas confrontations.
Well, in that case, envision the scenario where countless aerolites such as the one from the "Colour out of space" would crash on Earth.
Humans would be confronted with unkillable, will-annihilating,life-sucking, horrors from outer-space.
Oh, and I doubt any bomb shelters would stop immaterial formless entities. Enjoy turning into grayish,putrid, decaying fecal matter.
>>
>>17769693
>>17770860
Dude, OP was just asking a simple question. Doesn't going full sperglord over his WORD CHOICE make you the autist?
>>
>>17769543
Turns out it would actually be preeeeety goooood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfN5QjCRVE4
>>
>>17774517
>his word choice
He quite literally said that the Necronomicon and the "Elder Gods" are real.
>>
>>17774505
>bu...bu...bu... muh unknowable eldrich unknowings!
>sure you killed all the cultists, depth charged the sunken cities, nuked the polar civilizations, and missile spammed dagon to death from beyond the horizon line but it doesn't matter because in a million billion years humanity will die out and the elder gods will still be here! what do you mean no one cares!

>the color out of space
>implying it wasn't about radiation, the hotshit new idea discovered in 1903.
>>
File: 1464481799685.jpg (487KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1464481799685.jpg
487KB, 1920x1200px
>>17771862
Well, "The Mound' surely is completely underrated, and manages to render a truly nauseating impression when describing Tsath.
We could even say that the Dark Eldar from 40K may be partly inspirated by the Tsathese.
I would add that evoking more and more profound layers (the red and black realms) really add to the cosmic horror.

However, it's a little too gratuituously gross and over-the-top to be as well known as "At the Mountains of Madness", which , in my opinion, achieves some kind of detached, scientific elegance in the descriptions. It's much more streamlined than the Mound, and the suspension of disbelief is easier.
All in all, I can't "prove" you wrong, and both stories share many similarities (most importantly, this awe which results from merely infering what lurks in the immense darkness below), so it's essentially a matter of taste and ambience, but I would definitely recommend "At the Mountains of Madness" to someone completely new to Lovecraft, because "the Mound" could be met with, simply, some kind of "WTF is that !" reactions from an unprepared mind. Anyway, both are great, and truly "cosmic" compared to more conventional works.

I still don't know why I'm writing all this on this board dedicated to RP and shitposting, but I was just glad to see someone appreciating this criminally underrated story.
>>
>>17774532
I'm not defending 'source material' anon. I'm saying the initial attack on OP was retarded.
>>
>>17774551
Radiation or not, you're still fucked when it permeates everything, including your anus.
I don't see either how is humanity going to protect itself from dreams. Pills for everyone ?
And, well, the appeal from the depths is too strong, humans will willingly surrender, as in Nyalathotep or the Shadow over Innsmouth.
And well, I guess you'll enjoy the Yiths too.

t.Cthulhu
>>
>>17769543
That's a pretty sick knife senpai

Where'd you get it
>>
>>17774660
FUCK I mean senpai
>>
>>17774562
the biggest problem with the mountains of madness is the same problem as most of lovecraft's works. he sucks at designing monsters and fitting them into a world. he hit on a few winners like the deep ones as a parallel evolution from a common ancestor with humans and the starspawn(criminally underused spoop) but the elder things and mi-go (short of art making them follow common laws of biological symmetry and giving them hands and shit) are just flying trashcans and flying bugs.

I wish he had ghostwritten more because the red and black realms and the inevitable interaction between technologically competent post WWI humans and eldar pre eye of chaos would have been interesting as fuck.

>>17774589
lovecraft didn't know about potassium iodide m8

>appeal from the depths
the vast majority of the country are not inbred new englanders

>if everyone goes mad then they'll suddenly decide to start worshipping a giant fishguy instead of following suit with human history and getting their genocide on

the yith got btfo by the flying polyps, who themselves (mostly) died out millions of years before great apes started to get thinking thinky parts.

all lovecrafts aliens share common traits of being biologically armed, capable of biologic space travel (or being brain parasites), and stagnated advancement at some ___ point beyond early 20th century humanity. Mankind's technology has outstripped earths former masters by a wide margin. We might not be able to separate our atoms and travel through space(yet- the spaniard did it) but we're probably about 3/4 as advanced as the people of k'n-yan before they became a post scarcity society and stagnated in decadence and they rek'd all comers.

yith<polyps<deep ones<guns
mi-go<dogs<guns
>>
>>17774665
f a m
>>
>>17774671
a s t h e t i c
>>
>>17774669
>the elder things and mi-go [...]are just flying trashcans and flying bugs.

I think that's the point.The fact that they're ridiculous by our own standards plays a part in their alien-ness and the ensuing terror.
It's considerably more horrible to be vivisected by a grotesque fungus-plant-whatever that violates all we knew about life than to be simply maimed by a man-fish hybrid.

>I wish [...] interesting as fuck.
Yep, although the underlying layers of Earth may perhaps lose some of their horror potential if they were to be too thoroughly described.
As for a war with Tsath, it would have been considerably impressive, but perhaps ill-fitted to the way Lovecraft wrote.

>lovecraft didn't know about potassium iodide m8

Well, potassium iodide would not save anyone from direct contact with the Colour, even more if, as i said, it permeates the digestive tract.

>the vast majority of the country are not inbred new englanders
You got a point, but the population of major cities may fall prey to this anyway. (cf Nyarlathotep, Red Hook, etc...)

>yith<polyps<deep ones<guns
>mi-go<dogs<guns

Fixed it for you senpai , with my now official Mythos power ranking :

Outer Gods>Cats>Yith >Mi-Go>Cthulhu (and it's Starspawns)>=Elder Things (at their peak )=Tsath (at their peak)>Shoggoths>Moon-Beasts>Tsath (decayed) >Deep Ones =Humans+Guns>Elder Things (decayed)>Men of Leng=Humans (without guns)=Ghouls >Zogs
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.