[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meteorite shit.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

So, Tutankhamen's knife was made of meteorite. Do you think they forged it, or was it a gift from elsewhere?
>>
It was a gift from time-traveling culinary expert Anthony Bourdain.
>>
Seeing as Egypt didn't have a lot of capability for working more dense metal like iron, but more importantly the cobalt in it, I'd say there's a possibility it came from elsewhere. A lot of iron tools and weapons were imported.
>>
>>17760927
I'm not saying its aliens, but
>>
>>17760988
This. It was probably not only a gift/trade from foreign powers but held additional mystical significance as it was known to have fallen from the heavens

Just you wait until they crack open them walls and looky loo what's behind
>>
>>17760927
Naked meteorite was often used by early cultures because it was easy to extract (debris fields) and generally easy to work compared to ores like hematite.

Also it was locally available for Egypt (sorta) in the form of Gibeon meteorite.

>>17760988
It would take far less work for them to get a meteoric dagger than it would for them to have smelted it from ore; hell there's a chance it could have been dolomite ground or (relatively) cold pounded like the early Amerinds worked copper.
>>
File: ayy.gif (2MB, 200x299px) Image search: [Google]
ayy.gif
2MB, 200x299px
>>17760927
lmao fuk off kid, that was a present for tutank on his bday
>>
Stop copying reddit's thread you fuck
>>
>>17761057
How do you know reddit has a thread about it unless you're lurking it?
I'd say you should go back where you come from but you'll never listen.
>>
File: Image1.gif (33KB, 307x158px) Image search: [Google]
Image1.gif
33KB, 307x158px
>>17761050
Interesting.

Still meteorite fragments are scarce, but as you explained it could make more sense to use them.
>>
>>17761063
It's on the front page https://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/4m25i2/king_tuts_dagger_blade_made_from_meteorite_study/
>>
>>17761067
Scarce is a relative statement. By the time of Tut, the Gibeon meteorite field had already been used for a couple k years and was likely well known the further you got into Nubia and modern Sudan.

Now, what's going to be the real kicker is trying to figure out which impact the debris was harvested from, if possible.

If it was one from an impact further out than Gibeon or the Saudi impacts, we may have to start reconsidering trade routes and the interconnections of the economy.
>>
>>17761079
Theres evidence of trade routes, the library of alexandria had maps from all the ancient world.

The technology level its a good question to be answered, the discovery of geopolymers used in the blocks of the piramids and the possibilities opened by the antykera mechanism, gives us a glimpse at what the ancient world could have looked like tech wise.

Wich adds more seriousness to the claims of ancient knowledge hold by the hermetic societies.

Maybe theres still some advanced knowledge to be found in the ruins of the ancient world.
>>
>>17761032
THIS DAGGER WAS MADETH OUT OF A STAR THAT FELL
TO EARTH. ALL HAIL THE RA DAGGER NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH RAH DIGGA
>>
File: confused-science-reader.jpg (19KB, 300x354px) Image search: [Google]
confused-science-reader.jpg
19KB, 300x354px
>>17760927
>dagger's composition turns out to be similar to that meteorite fragments found near the place it was found
>HOLY SHIT ALIUMS!!!1!
>>
I'd say Anunnaki, if I had to venture a guess
>>
>>17761220
*that of meteorite fragments
>>
>>17761220
Doesn't change the fact that they must likely didn't have the ability to forge it that precisely themselves, at the time.
>>
File: 1459136932710s.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1459136932710s.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>17761249
Motherfucker do you know how advanced ancient Egypt was.
>>
>>17760927
The reports keep saying that working with iron came later on, this is because iron melts at 1500 degrees celcius and they didn't have the capability to make a furnace burn that hot back then, so how did they craft the blade?
>>
>>17761562
EXACTLY.
>>
>>17761032
Time travel anon, and more gold than your peanut headed self can imagine, a young nigga such as yourself could buy the urf wit that Shit.
>>
>>17760927
Is that all gold/ rubies n such on the sheath n handle?
>>
File: Widmanstatten_hand.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Widmanstatten_hand.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>17761562
You don't need to melt iron to work it, you only need to melt ore to smelt it into iron.

People have been cold and warm hammering native metal veins since pretty damn early.

Also, again, it likely wouldn't be too terribly hard to just grind, especially given the lack of a Widmanstätten crystal patterning that's usually highlighted and made more obvious when there's an oxidization differential (meaning; when meteorite is heated it will often start to show patterns like pic related).
>>
>>17761562
>>17761762
Iron can be cold forged if it's pure enough, which meteor iron can be - or it may have been placed in the tomb later in antiquity as an ancestor tribute or something.

Think about having a sword made of meteoric iron when all your opponents weapons and armor are bronze and you'll know where legends of magic swords originated.
>>
>>17761562
You only need to melt iron if you're casting it. Forging needs much lower temperatures.

That said, Ancient Egyptians did have furnaces that could melt iron. They used casting for Bronze during the Bronze Age.

The switch from Bronze Age to Iron Age wasn't some new technology being invented, it was an economic issue.
>>
>>17761885
It was economic, but chances are they would have had to trade with Cyprus to have a steady supply of wood for these kilns.
>>
>>17760927
They likely found a meteor high in iron they are fairly common and forged it from that. It wouldn't take any more skill to make than any other knife.
>>
File: 1450051932089.jpg (129KB, 600x772px) Image search: [Google]
1450051932089.jpg
129KB, 600x772px
>>
The knife looks like nothing special. You'd think aliens would give tutankhamen a golden gun or something awesome.

Egyptians had access to high technology, and probably knew that meteorite iron was more dense than common earth iron. Thus forging it themselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvL3iASh28Y
Will reply in the roleplay in a sec.
>>
>>17760927
The Torah calls them "Elohim", Carlos Castaneda "the fliers", the Egyptian Book of the Dead "the watchers".

Quothe the latter:
“Anubis and Horus in the form of Horus the sightless. Others, however, say that they are the Tchatcha, who bring to nought the operations of their knives; and others say that they are the chiefs of the Sheniu chamber."

Meaning this could be the first knife. Is there any x-ray analysis of the knife's edges?
>>
>>17761971
I think there was enough wood in egypt to forge a single blade of meteoric iron. Or they would have just used animal dug.

If you're referring to the switch from Bronze Age to Iron Age, that happened all across the mediterranean and Europe very quickly. It was an entire trade economy that collapsed, not Egypt running out of fuel.
>>
>>17762234
This is like watching an episode of Xavier: Renegade Angel.
>>
>>17762252
i thought they simply pounded it out rather than "forged" it, for instance the inuit had meteorite metal blades before being introduced to metalworking
>>
>>17761776
Gold, yes. Rubies, no, more likely something like lapis or jasper. Ruby, sapphire, diamond, they're quite hard and therefore extremely difficult to work. They weren't very popular in the ancient world. Semi-precious stones like onyx, amber, agate, carnelian, jade, these can be carved in fine detail and display rich colors.

Also, checked.
>>
+2 damage to elementals
>>
>>17762292
casting: getting a metal so hot that it melts, and then pouring it into a mold and letting it cool.

forging: hitting metal with a hammer until it takes the desired shape, the hotter it is, the easier it is to hammer into shape
>>
>>17763453
I feel like the big disconnect is that people think native meteoric iron needs smelted like hematite ore.

The ancients weren't stupid. Upon finding native gold or iron they realized you could work it with a blunt object and a little heat.

Also, that whole thing about iron/bronze ages being tied to economic ability rather than tech leap.
>>
>>17760927
isnt all metal found on earth from a meteorite?
>>
>>17763483
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_differentiation
>>
>>17760988
Trading from another part of the world, yup, most likely, egiptians didn't know how to work iron well.
Most likely from the Mesopotamia and shit.
>>
>>17763467
It doesn't even necessarily require heat. Gold is quite malleable, and as >>17761793 mentioned a large enough piece of iron could've been worked subtractively rather than formed. It just takes a grindstone and a lot of time, both of which they had. That's how islanders made stone clubs (pic related), so it's a pre-metal technology. Considering that, this dagger (or at least the blade of it) might be centuries older than Tut.
>>
>>17760988

Jesus Christ there's no Cobalt in the Iron you huge imbecile. Iron is an element. You should educate yourself before shitposting about 'spooky' stuff.
>>
>>17760927
Why hasn't it rusted to shit yet if it's iron? Is it alloyed with something rust resistant?
>>
>>17764022
Egypt is a very dry place. Iron won't rust without moisture. It's the same principle behind the fact that old cars found in sheds in the southwestern desert areas of the US typically have bodies that are in superb condition - there isn't much atmospheric moisture to make them rust.
>>
>>17764022
Because it was stored inside a sheath stored in a sarcophagus inside of a tomb for 4,000 years and then in a museum since then.
>>
>>17761108
This. It's amazing how little credit people give our ancestors. They weren't as ignorant as people seem to believe. Hell, we didn't even rediscover the technique to make damascus steel until just a few years ago, and even that was by accident iirc (someone messing with new carbon-based polymers, I believe).

It's a shame so much has been lost to time and wars. The burning down of the library of alexandria was probably a bigger set-back than we could ever know.
>>
>>17763799
Those are both me, m8.
Also I was commenting on the grind more as a nod to Egypt's prolific use of dolomite than basic bronze age mechanics.
>>
>>17764821
the library was burned down, but the books werent
>>
>>17764897
most of them were. I'm sure many of the works were recreated from memory as best they could, and others may have had copies in other places, but there was a lot of things straight up lost.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.