[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spooky Facts You Just Learned

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: 1426026755204.jpg (603KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1426026755204.jpg
603KB, 1024x1024px
>Ancient alchemists in China spent centuries trying to discover an elixir of life that would render the user immortal. One important ingredient in many of the failed elixirs was saltpeter, also known as potassium nitrate.

>During the Tang Dynasty, around 850 A.D., an enterprising alchemist (whose name has been lost to history) mixed 75 parts saltpeter with 15 parts charcoal and 10 parts sulfur. This mixture had no discernable life-lengthening properties, but it did explode with a flash and a bang when exposed to an open flame. According to a text from that era, "smoke and flames result, so that [the alchemists'] hands and faces have been burnt, and even the whole house where they were working burned down."

Tl;dr Ancient alchemists tried to create the elixer of life and instead created the ashes of death - gunpowder and kickstarted centuries of global warfare. Magical backlash
>>
>>17759061
This is why the first thing any good wizard does is acquire omniscience.
>>
>>17759061
There's a skeleton inside you and it's moving.
>>
>>17759061

Nitroglycerin was made safe by Alfred Nobel, yes that Nobel, after his brother was killed during production of it. Nobel eventually created dynamite.

Both inventions were meant to make workers safer. Instead they unleashed death.
>>
>>17759417
I am sure more lives were saved than destroyed by nitroglycerin and dynamite, all told.
>>
>>17759427
Probably no
>>
>>17759344
2 spoopy :( pllease stop.
>>
>>17759061
i just learned that gunpowder was invented in about 850 AD during the Tang dynasty in China.

I just learned this from reading OP's post. True story,

I also learned that apparently people think Chinese alchemy and European alchemy were the same
>>
>>17759061
To be fair, warfare existed WELL before gunpowder.

It isnt exactly like having your guts ripped out by a sword or spear was any better than having it done with a bullet or shrapnel.

Plus war has actually been declining across the human race in intensity, casualty number, and oftenhood over the last century.

Maybe we are learning something after 2 world wars?
>>
Well yeah they misunderstood true alchemy applying it to the ephemeral.
>>
>>17759635
2 world wars, numerous military conflicts, a number of civil wars and a couple of good old gang wars and terrorist acts in large cities.

Yep. We'sa learnin'
>>
>>17759635
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ongoing_armed_conflicts
>>
File: death.png (30KB, 1287x782px) Image search: [Google]
death.png
30KB, 1287x782px
>>17759642
We are. Its just that unlike previous centuries, we have to deal with a fear mongering 24 hour news cycle overreporting things.

Reality is we are increasingly choosing NOT to slaughter eachother. When we do its usually in a very limited manner.

But news like that doesnt sell trillion dollar military aerospace projects so all your corporate funded media isnt gonna say much about it.
>>
>>17759659
The only reason that # of human deaths have been declining is that the population has been exploding.

People are still dying in larger amounts, but they're being born in increasingly larger amounts.
>>
>>17759732
fucked up my post with a single typo.
I meant %, not #/
>>
>>17759735
>>17759732
Thats not correct though. I mean if it was just that data set you would be correct, but other data sets correlate to the claim that warlike tendencies are receding as well.

Conflicts are producing less casualties, are fought on a smaller scale, and have limits placed on who can be engaged, when, how, where, and by what kinds of weapons.
This is a graph for casualty numbers, not population percentage. They match the population percentage graph though.

Because population is up, but combat deaths are down.

There are MORE wars, but less people dying. Significantly less.
>>
>>17759086
But them magic lost all his surprise,
Just ask the Good forces to guide you
Know it all is boring and nihilistic.
>>
>>17759417
It's used to stop heart attacks
>>
>>17759659
How do we know the violence isn't just hidden better and not reported as often? Can you really say people are becoming less violent rather than getting less snitchy?
>>
>>17759765
I'm glad you understand.

Somewhat.
>>
>>17759757
wait 30 years bro, stability for a century or two is nothing, sooner or later a large conflict will arise in this unstable world and wars will be back on the menu.
>>
>>17759061
Donald Trump might beat Hillary Clinton.

Scary AF.
>>
>>17759061
>calling chemistry magic.

alchemy is only magic in that anime bro. It was just chemistry and they didn't understand science. you're a tool.
>>
>>17760669
Go away please.
>>
>>17759635
Warfare is probably the only thing out there that is strictly human in origin, and we've been doing it for tens of thousands of years.
>>
>>17760669
Either choice should be scary to you. Even Bernie was just a lesser evil, not a good choice.
>>
>>17760622
Naw, its actually more reported since small brush conflicts that wouldnt be reported on before the UN came into existence are now classified as wars and included in statistics.

>>17760660
Correct, you actually named the exact reason that wars have been declining in intensity without realizing it. Nuclear weaponry, and other WMDs. Nations are less willing to fight eachother because to do so means risking utter annhilation.

So they fight with a lower intensity to avoid a scorched earth style reprisal, but if they ever really DO get going at it again its likley to wipe out a large enough swathe of the human race to make up for the lull that proceeded it.

Thankfully WMD numbers have also been declining, atleast on paper.

But my entire point is, we actually live in the least violent period of history since pre-iron age times. Across the board war, famine, and disease are in decline, life expectancy is up, infant mortality is down, wars are less violent.

It could be the lull before the storm, but im trying to point out how our media, and our government use fear, hatred, and envy to convince us that everything is fucked and we need them to stay in charge of us and protect us when in reality such things are declining.

Despite all these things going down, there has been an erosion of civil liberty and a tightening of government control over thier people. The people are mostly voluntarily giving up rights because they are scared, mostly because the media cycle tells them they should be.

This is the part where I mention that americas last big industrial complex is military manufacturing and that without such fear and paranoia they stand to lose literally trillions per year.

Food for thought.
>>
>>17760722
This guy's got it right.Really should just leave the country and hope whatever pointless conflicts they continue or start won't affect you
>>
>>17759061
I just learned that the mods do actually delete the super important highly telling stuff. For the longest time I thought other anons were just slightly more paranoid than I am, but I just saw a perfectly good conspiracy thread disappear for no reason.

Just check the ghost index.
>>
>>17760792
Been on since 2010. Mods are gods used to be a thing, they delete stuff they dont personally like.

Used to do it a lot more often actually, nothing new there, hell I banned for a week for talking shit about chocolate milk once.
>>
>>17760802
This board would be a barren wasteland if I was a mod and was allowed to ban posters and remove retarded threads

Maybe one thread per week would survive.
>>
>>17760810
Happened a few years ago in /tg/. some mod began just mass deleting threads for about a week, threw the board into total disarray for like 3 weeks. Back then 4chan was the wild west of the internet. Went mainstream, now its just an edgy website.

Mods used to troll people, there would be raids, leaks, a lot of legally questionable activity.

Moot sold the place and whoever owns it really cleaned the site up, probably to make more money.
>>
>>17760865
But 4chan is the bottom of the barrel. If we go any deeper then we'll lose our demographic sympathy and we'll all be dismissed as cyberterrorists by the media/majority. I intentionally make my stand on 4chan because it's popular while maintaining decent anonymity.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.