[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What reason do you have for believing in an afterlife?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

File: Jesus.jpg (94KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus.jpg
94KB, 1280x720px
What reason do you have for believing in an afterlife?
>>
>>17697073
being afraid of death
>>
>>17697073
Being afraid of a shitty life, which I have right now.
>>
>>17697076
>>17697091
I'm already there with you buddy.
I just feel like I need something more concrete before I can commit myself to believing in life after death.
I mean, I know that's pretty impossible, but I figured I'd get other people's takes on it.
>>
I figure if there was life after death I would have memories of a past life
>>
It's like insurance.
>>
Me >>17697091
>>17697099
To be honest I don't care if the afterlife is shit or great, I just want something more interesting than waking up and do the same thing over and over again.
>>
>>17697073
dad passed away on january so I hope there's an afterlife so I can see him again
>>
God talks to me. I'm half certain I'm schizophrenic though
>>
File: i know man i know.png (46KB, 1500x1383px) Image search: [Google]
i know man i know.png
46KB, 1500x1383px
>>17697120
My dog's old, so I think it will be anytime soon.
Fuck life, man.
>>
>>17697132
I think I'm quarter schizophrenic, sometimes I hear voices saying insults.
>>
>>17697132
>>17697145
samefag
>>
File: Screenshot_20160515-205235.jpg (638KB, 1359x2006px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160515-205235.jpg
638KB, 1359x2006px
>>17697154
No
But who knows. I don't even know what's real anymore
>>
>>17697073
Just makes sense, how can you experience nothing?
>>
Sorry OP, I want legit to hear reasons of anons here so to keep the thread alive, I must say that even though I think is nearly impossible, If it does exit I'm going straight to the 9th ring of hell.
>>
>>17697163
What makes you think an afterlife would be so black and white, heaven and hell?

Perhaps it's just another fucking experience, like this
>>
Because I cannot fathom that all of existence just came from nothingness, and I don't believe something as grand as the human mind can simply cease at the end of one's life. It's just something I can't wrap my head around at this point in life.

I truly feel there has to be SOMETHING after death, though I highly doubt it'll be anything like life on earth as a living being.
>>
>>17697163
The way I see it there's a 50/50 chance.
There's no evidence to support it, but there's also no evidence strictly against it. Which puts it right in the middle of probability since there's really only two options, it exists, or it doesn't.
>>
>>17697073
There is nothing to lose in believing in something after death. If humanity the creation on a random explosion then life is pointless
>>
>>17697170
Any way will be the same for me, fucking depressive shit.
>>
>>17697073
Sadly the only legit reason I can come up with is wishful thinking so I 99% don't.
>>
>>17697189
You as an ego? No sorry, it doesn't work like that.

At death the ego is deleted, gone, it's nothing.
>>
>>17697073
Being a christian helps me not kill myself. And as someone with crippling anxiety and depression, it helps.
>>
>>17697184
Though there's evidence that we can have hallucinations when we faint, so there's a chance that when we die we hallucinate something happy (like heaven) so I have faith in that.
>>
>>17697194
So what's the point then? we essentially die with our ego, we keep our memories, but what made us dies.
>>
>>17697215
The point is to forget who you are, to play, so you can say what you are now, this she'd be common sense.
>>
>>17697206
Your brain releases a drug when it thinks you're about to die that causes you to hallucinate. There's a chance this could alter your state of mind to make it feel like some sort of heaven for a seemingly infinite amount of time. But this is just a theroy.
>>
>>17697215
You don't die with your ego, your ego is shed, so is the idea of physical existence, resulting in an experience that has no duality.

One, Unity.
>>
>>17697073
I had a strong experience through faith that ensures me that God does exist and since that day I believe since I encountered God there is no reason to not believe but to praise.
>>
>>17697225
At least it would be interesting, none like this fucking shit. We spent more time sleeping, eating and shitting than that thing important that you wake up, that thing that makes you alive.
>>
>>17697251
Speak for yourself.
>>
>>17697236
>>17697215
>>17697194
>what makes you who you are is gone
Please no, I had certain things about me that make me so protective and positive around those I love and hold dear,I want to be a guardian angel when I go.
>>
>>17697259
Even then it would be further games, meaning an act of the divine.

We are just an act, there is acts at higher levels, sure. But it's all the same thing interacting with itself.

Think about it. It can't not be. But play on.
>>
>>17697270
You speak of Destiny?
You mean to say that who I am will stay the same if who controls my act decides to make me so?
That sounds very promising.
>>
>>17697276
Who you are is not really who you are, you can't even begin to imagine what it is.

It's the most illusive thing, consciousness is what you are, you're awareness taking its a body with a name.

You're everything even the other people you look at the stars your table. There is nothing that isn't substance, the ground of being.
>>
>>17697276
When you die, you will forget this whole experience, believe me.

The instant you realise, it's gone, forever, everyone you knew gone, because it was all YOU.

Then was noth that wasn't you. What comes after that exactly I can't say, but I can say you will have that realisation before you go on to play with yourself again.
>>
>>17697073
I wanna see the dead homies again
>>
>>17697282
But surely consciousness thrives off of it;s own thought processes yes?
>>17697293
Interesting

how do we know for certain that our ego will be deleted? If we hopefully get to keep our memories, would that not revive our ego?
>>
>>17697299
No your memories will go to, your memories are apart of the ego.

It all goes like the wind, it's a very nice feeling, it's like putting down something that you had been carrying for a very very long time.

You're consumed by "it" there is nothing but "it".
>>
>>17697073
I have other choice?
>>
>>17697299
Many people don't like the idea because they identify with ego, but if you had any common sense, you would let go of the ego and it's attachments before death.

You can still live life, I have children, a wife and a family. I know this is not perminent. I wouldn't want it to be.

Change is just something you have to accept, life is change
>>
>>17697325
>>17697312
But my ego is made completely of happy memories,loyalty, and tradition. they make me who I am. If all that were to be taken away I would become empty and I would be a completely different person.
>>
>>17697333
You will see, you will remember, and then you will forget.

It doesn't matter what ties you think you have, they're all superficial
>>
I don't believe in an afterlife as much as I believe in what I guess would be more of an "essence" or some sort of continuum of whatever we came from before we were born that has changed due to our intermission. I don't believe we would necessarily have bodies and senses and a life that is actually lived like right now, but more just assume a nonphysical form of just kind of being "there," wherever there is.

If you want to know why I believe this, you'd have to understand some knowledge I gained from a relatively recent existential crisis I had. I can post pics of my scribbling a and constant drawings, but that won't make sense. I can try to describe it, but I will fail as I have countless times before trying to describe it. I have about thirty pages of notes dedicated to the basics of the most basic fundamental parts, almost every thought incomplete, and no trace of me connecting any of it to create any conclusion on anything or some sort of common ground if some sort.
>>
>>17697073
I don't.
>>
>>17697073
A giant cylinder and a flying snake explained to me the mechanics of the afterlife. It all made a lot of sense to me, and since then, everything else has fit into the doctrine of the cylinder and snake and...other things...
>>
Personal encounters with a spirit and with what others would probably call demons.
>>
I believe in the afterlife as much as I believe in the before life. Since I can't remember that and it is for certain that pre birth I was there, I just can't believe in any sort of afterlife.
>>
Because if there is not one, it's not like it matters that I do think there is one.

I'm not really afraid to die. I'm afraid of pain associated with death. Oh yeah. And I'm afraid of leaving my family behind. But not death itself. I have had an NDE, and I saw what came after death (or what my brain made me see) and it was awesome.

So as long as I can live and be happy, whatever comes after death matters very little. I like to think there is an afterlife because I think the act of death in this world, is our birth into another.

And even if we die and go into a void of nothingness...I really don't think it matters.
>>
I am a kashmir shaivist hindu. I believe the universe is purely made up of consciousness and I strongly believe in reincarnation and karma.

There is a siddhi, I cant recall the sanskrit name of it, but if a Yogi possesses this siddhi or "power" they can see the workings of karma. I am 99% sure I possess this siddhi and I have met separate incarnations of people with whom I have some karma, good or bad.

I believe you will forget 90% at least of who you were, but your identity is preserved in a way via your karma.

Say for example you are very judgemental of heroin users and hurt someone in this life because of that. I believe you will come back with the same issues the person you judged had that led them to heroin and possibly fall into addiction too unless you learn to forgive them.

It's a good reason to be forgiving and make amends in this life and there is nothing wrong with that in any case.

It also seems to imply a purpose to life which is a journey towards unconditional love for one another. So these beliefs are very fulfilling for me personally.
>>
>>17697073
Guess my afterlife will be like grass-worm-bird-bigger bird-fox-yet a bigger bird-grass again ( and maby some roaches )-worm-bird-human...
>>
>>17698882
Trikaldarshitwa is the name of the siddhi.

"16.
Trikaldarshitwa: The causal ability to look into any karmic structure of Time and Destiny of individuals or collective peoples. This Siddha is a Grand Prophet and an Ultimate Historian."
>>
>>17697073
I was somewhere else before this life.
>>
>>17697073
i don't
>>
>>17697073
This afterlife.
>>
File: 1353314112226.jpg (28KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1353314112226.jpg
28KB, 500x375px
>>17697178
What about the maggot eggs in your fat, mom's basement corpse?

The flies who spring forth from your death are just as terrestrial.
Why not see the beauty in physical rebirth, it doesn't eliminate spirit rebirth, it gives both purpose and reason. like the moon reflecting on the lake.
That's pretty much just like life on earth.
As above so below.

>>17697440
If they are trying to demonize my ancestor spirits, maybe.
>>
File: Eclipse_calling.jpg (14KB, 580x350px) Image search: [Google]
Eclipse_calling.jpg
14KB, 580x350px
>>17698895
yes

>>17700072
ha! good one
>>
>>17698895
That cyclical reasoning. Please explain your past lives
>>
>>17697073
I want to be known as the ghost of memes past when I die.
I'll follow popular ghost hunting crews, and whenever they attempt to capture evps, I'll scream yo mama, deez nuts ,etc into the mic.
>>
Being into occult. it only makes sense after it
>>
>>17697073
Beliefs of this nature are not (or should not, if you use good logic) based on reasoning. The number one "reason" is that I choose to. Beyond that, I got dogma:

> Bg 2.13 — As the embodied soul continuously passes, in this body, from boyhood to youth to old age, the soul similarly passes into another body at death. A sober person is not bewildered by such a change.

I got a slightly uncommon version of Dualism as a philosophical worldview. After that there's silly stuff like anecdotes of past lives, NDE, OOB experience, etc. Interesting and corroborative but I don't put much stock in it.

>>17697194
Agreed. At least the false ego is. Which is everything people think is them: memories, opinions, ideas, relationships. All of that is tethered to the body and goes at death along with the body.
>>
>>17697073
dreams, escaping earth, near death experiences
>>
I don't equate it to belief, but to the Holy Spirit revealing to me a small understanding of Christ, which then becomes something that you just inherently know is true
>>
File: 1423797469551.gif (693KB, 339x279px) Image search: [Google]
1423797469551.gif
693KB, 339x279px
>>17697073
Fear of death, wanting to see old loved one again, the thought of it being "nothing" after is bleak and for emo fags and Ive had a few experiences
I already believe in ghosts, so despite it being corny to think of some heavily afterlife and everyone has to complete a purpose for it I like doing that. I also don't ever mention it to anybody. I keep my thoughts to myself
>>
>>17697073
Honestly, the only reason I have for believing in an afterlife is because I'm a pussy and I'm sure the lot of us are... also, why the fuck would I want to stop existing when existing is so chill?
>>
>>17697073

I don't need to give you a reason. I will tell you that I do not fear death. That's the stupidest thing to be afraid of. Living like a vegetable or in constant torture is much worse.
>>
>>17700712

Existing is continuous stress and worry for me.
>>
>>17697073
Because my beforelife is pretty boring.
>>
When you die you are subject to an infinity of non-existence.
But, since you aren't around to perceive this, this infinite duration elapses instantaneously.

So what is it like to wake up after not existing for an infinite duration of time? Birth.
>>
You want to uncover some truths about reality? Take some shrooms. You may end up with more questions than answers, but I realized through a mushroom trip that everything is an illusion. We are egos encased in some temporary shell. We do not experience the universe as it truly is because we can only experience in the way that our brain interprets the signals it receives. But at the same time, we are not separate from the universe that we experience. If every atom in the universe came from the big bang, that means that we are a part of that process and it is a continuous process. Does that mean we are each just sections of the universe that became self aware? If you are a self-aware section of the universe, can that mean that your true self is so much bigger than what you can imagine? Since you woke up without ever having gone to sleep (when you were born), what makes you think it won't happen again?
>>
>>17697117
Then go and take it.
Life isn't gonna get better from you shitposting on a board that revolves around astral projection into succubus-land.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.