[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scandinavian mythology thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

Scandinavian mythology thread.
>>
So many interesting thread topics yet so feel answers.

What I find remarkable about the Germanic and Scandinavian mythology is that it's theogony is similar to that of Hesiod. In Hesiod in the beginning there was chaos, and in the Norse version in the beginning there was the ginnungagap, a magic-filled void. Then after this the chaos or void is polarized giving rise to two opposing forces, light x darkness (Hesiod) or fire x ice (Norse), and out of this conflict the gods and the entire universe were formed. What is interesting moreover is that the German mystic Jacob Boehme, a similar shoe maker, had a similar vision about the eternal "birth" of the Christian trinity. Perhaps it was his atavistic Germanic soul that spoke to him, enabling him to see the same vision that his Germanic and Scandinavian forebears saw in a mystical trance, which he interpreted in his cultural context which was Lutheran and Christian? But that is a subject for another thread
>>
>>17666651
A simple* shoe maker
>>
File: DFlaI1V.png (2MB, 680x497px) Image search: [Google]
DFlaI1V.png
2MB, 680x497px
>>17666651
>interesting thread topics yet so feel answers.
>>
File: CMON.jpg (247KB, 324x632px) Image search: [Google]
CMON.jpg
247KB, 324x632px
>>17666845
>that viking about to get a pitchfork to the jugular for murdering that farmer's confessor
>>
have a bump
>>
Can someone tell me about the norse look on afterlife?
I know the "all women and men who dont die in battle goes to hel" is bullshit but im not quite sure what the precise view was
>>
>>17667351

Loki's daughter would like to have a word with you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hel_%28being%29
>>
File: Hel.jpg (366KB, 684x737px) Image search: [Google]
Hel.jpg
366KB, 684x737px
>>17667370
>>
>>17667370
cut it out
I know what im talking about
>>
>>17666571
Were Scandinavians white at one point?
>>
File: viking_helmet_horned.jpg (352KB, 3625x2048px) Image search: [Google]
viking_helmet_horned.jpg
352KB, 3625x2048px
>>17667532
>Were Scandinavians white at one point?

They didn't have points, the whole horned hat thing is a myth.
>>
>>17667532
Scandinavia has always been Arab and Muslim. Islam is integral to Scandinavia. Don't pay attention to white supremacists trying to white-wash history.
>>
>>17668219
YES
ESY
SYE
>>
>>17667532
>not r1b
>white

No, never actually.
>>
>>17667532
Looks like someone got /pol/ and x mixed up.
>>
Can anyone remember some good metaphors from the norse stories?
only i can come up with is that when Odin left his tribe to wander through the lands, his two brothers Vili and Ve (whose names can be translated as despair, frustration, sadness or something akin) slept with his wife

>>17666651
Thinking that our world is order, and that there was something before our world, meaning that whatever was before was chaos, is not such a rare thought though
and same goes for the thing about opposing forces coming from this, though it's a little more of a stretch i guess

>>17667351
half of people died in battle are taken to Valhal, the other half are taken to another area in asgard
those who did not are taken to hel, some are even placed in specific parts of hel because of how they lived, like being murderers or traitors
This is probably influenced by the christian view, but that's the way it is written
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.