[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Enlightenment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

File: nivea.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
nivea.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
I'm interested in how people of different backgrounds see enlightenment
so:

1. Post your background (e.g. christian, qaballah, magik, discordian, hinduist, etc.)
2. What is enlightenment?
3. How do you achieve it?
4. Is it the main goal of you practice?
5. (optional) Anything you feel you need to address that's not covered with the first 4 questions.

Please no discussion about someone misunderstanding enlightenment or some spritiual tradition
This is strictly about personal understanding

pic unrelated
>>
File: image.jpg (91KB, 590x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91KB, 590x600px
The answers to all of your questions are found in this sutra: https://youtu.be/7ooCodjgjkY
>>
>1. Post your background (e.g. christian, qaballah, magik, discordian, hinduist, etc.)
Ch'an
>2. What is enlightenment?
Seeing true reality
>3. How do you achieve it?
Relinquishment of all concepts and ideas.
>4. Is it the main goal of you practice?
yes
>5. (optional) Anything you feel you need to address that's not covered with the first 4 questions.
No practice (meditation, etc.) will ever lead to enlightenment
>>
>>17653272
I'm actually much more interested in non-buddhist answer, since I am already fairly well versed when it comes to buddhism.
Buddhists welcome, though
>>
>>17653277
its all the same, is one true in diferent package ,
and you dont need it at all.
look for peter norquist or someting like that and the dark side of enlimentg.
>>
>>17653266
>1. Gaudiya Vaishnav (Hindu)
>2. Perfect and complete understanding. Absorption in the satisfaction that comes from within. Knowledge of and action according to your Absolute Nature and Position.
>3. There are many ways. Our main practice is mantra meditation either in solitude (japa) or in congregation (kirtan).
>4. No. Our goal is devotion to God. One can be enlightened and still have no devotion to the Supreme. Though with pure devotion to Krishna, enlightenment is a natural byproduct.
>5. The symptoms of an enlightened soul are given in the Bhagavad-Gita. I find it a rather unique resource, as so often we are told who is enlightened, or how it feels, or how to achieve it, but not how to recognize for ourselves enlightened persons.
>Ch. 2, V. 54-57, but to the end of the chapter really
>4.19-22
>5.3, 5.8-9, 5.18-25
>6.7-9, 6.16-23
>10.8
>12.13-19
>14.22-25
>16.1-3
>18.51-53
>>
>>17653266
>background
Christian
> enlightenment
Understanding that you are impure and ask God to cleanse your soul
>How do you achieve it
Through deep prayer and accepting of God's gift to humanity
> main goal
The main goal of Christianity is to understand that as humans we are not pure. And since we are not pure we cannot walk in heaven. But with God's gift of sending Jesus Christ to die on a cross will cover up our sins with his blood. And God commands Christians to go and love people. And through love and compassion lead other people to Christ.
>optional
As a Christian I am torn to shreds at seeing what other people call Christianity. God commands us to love our neighbors, our friends, our family and our enemies. I'm tired of seeing Christians that are full of hate and condem people. The truth is that Christians are just as human as any other people. And people that judge others for the same sin that they commite is as horrible sin that should not exist.
>>
1. Druidism. More or less.

2. I'm not sure. I won't even pretend to know.

3. I'd assume you get there by living life as well as you can.

4. To live, and to grow a little wiser.

5. Basically, everything within your control is nothing the gods (no matter who you worship) will care to help you with. Move forward on your own power, improve daily by even a small amount, and worry about nothing. The things you have no control over are the things the gods have your back on.
>>
>background
Family is Christian, I don't really care
>enlightenment
Knowing that there is no real answer, but looking for a new one every day
>how
You just have to stop caring about everything believed to be true, find your own answer
>there is no goal
>I'm better off than most of the religious fags, but I can respect the truly devout who have the strength to believe in their one answer, the kind to question their beliefs and come out stronger
>>
File: Kapalika.jpg (122KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
Kapalika.jpg
122KB, 480x640px
>>17653266
Trika Saivism
Turyatita the experience of permanent infinite bliss.
Pratyahara (sense withdrawal) and other ways.
Thats a huge yes!

If interested about what other traditions I follow. Was raised Catholic and realized its fairytales at 8. Became a militant nihilist in High School. Took 18 shrooms one day and peaked outside the ego as in I realized I didn't know everything. Wondered what don't I know? Looked into all religions just incase one might actually be real. Found Sunyavada Buddhism, Sunyavada literally means Doctrine of the Void. How could I not become Buddhist!? Its literally Nihilism the religion and 2500 years old. And found multiple traditions to be true just explained differently. Taoism is legit if you consider it a religion. Here are the religions I follow...

Theravada Buddhism
Sunyavada Buddhism
Yogacara Buddhism
Vajrayana Buddhism
Shaktism
Advaita Vedanta
Trika Saivism
>>
1. atheist -> buddhist -> hindu -> chaote -> batshit crazy -> left hand tantra -> qabbalah
2. a buzzword used by plebs and roleplayers and soccer moms who thinks Osho is cool and yoga is about stretching and saying om
3. read a book by Eckhart Tolle, stop eating meat and tell everyone how good you feel and how all is really One and how everything really happens for a reason
4. absolutely not
5. enlightenment is a word that's degenerated to a cash cow for new age writers and lecturers - take Jed Mckenna and Doreen Virtue, the true antichrists of our time. People like the idea that enlightenment is a permanent mode one can simply snap into, and dislike the idea that to elevate oneself to man's true potential fuckin years of really hard work is needed and 99.99% of all people are simply not equipped mentally and emotionally to face the dark depths of their limited personalities and will thus likely remain delusional for a very, very long time
t. anon that thought he was enlightened several times until he really started practicing and realized it's a long road uphill
>>
>>17653926
not to be a jerk but aren't many of the traditions you mention kind of mutually exclusive? Advaita being strictly monistic, shaktism strictly dualistic, sunyavada nihilistic... what exactly do you "follow" in these religions if not the metaphysical paradigm they offer?
>>
>>17653266
1. Catholic
2. Enlightenment is obtaining nirvana in the traditional Buddhist sense, if you don't know what that is, Google
3. The eithfold path
4. Will explain in 5
5. I'm a Theravada Buddhist, and I do not believe myself to be able to reach enlightenment in this life. However, I'd still love to if I am able. My main goal in this life is to build up enough good karma and as little bad as possible so that I may be reincarnated as a monk in my next life and reach nirvana in that life.
>>
>>17653266
>1. Post your background (e.g. christian, qaballah, magik, discordian, hinduist, etc.)
Hindu
Leaving behind worldly desires and coming to an overall equilibrium with the universe.
It's like CHIM'ing yourself.
It's the ultimate goal, but the main goal is to not be a dick to other life forms.
>5. (optional) Anything you feel you need to address that's not covered with the first 4 questions.
I feel like it's too hard to focus on this kind of thing nowadays, society puts too much pressure on us to be "successful", whatever that means. Well, this isn't really a recent issue. I'm sure that even in the old times people didn't look too kindly on others that decided they were gonna become saints and sages. It just kind of sucks that people care about what others do with their time.
>>
File: Hd_nature-wallpaper-10796821.jpg (214KB, 1440x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Hd_nature-wallpaper-10796821.jpg
214KB, 1440x1280px
>>17653266
>1. Post your background
"Satanism" > Wicca > New Age > Christian

Have also read a little on Stoicism.

Currently trying to learn kabbalah, then I really want to read up on Taoism. I also have material in Buddhism but idk when I'll get to it.

There is a logic, beauty, and wisdom inside the words that make creation. Find this path and follow it. Enlightenment is walking this path; bliss is realizing it's now your home.

I use meditation, prayer, and self-hypnosis to reach my innermost thoughts and desires, and to surrender them to the logos of God, his Christ and our Messiah, Iesous, (Jesus).

I've loved reading the other replies, nothing is better than seeing someone else explain how they are pursuing God.
>>
>>17654142
What scriptures do you read? Sounds like advaita vedanta
>>
>>17654244
I don't read scripture, the closest thing I've read was the Ramayana and part of the Mahabarata.
My beliefs are just influenced by myths and stories that my mom told me when I was growing up.
>>
>>17654564
Read the Bhagavad Gita if you are serious about spirituality.
>>
realising that you're god. "you're what the universe is doing in it's entirety, at the place you call here and now, you always have been"
check this out. promise it's not disappointing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLg4AV60uWY
>>
>>17653266
>Post your background
Christian.
Born Baptist. Studied Thomism. Respect Orthodoxy. Ultimately converted to Lutheranism.

>What is enlightenment?

Theosis; that is, to restore a perfect communion between man, god and the creation.

>How do you achieve it?

Ultimately, by trusting in Christ's message, teachings, and sacrifice. Christ's sacrifice liberates us from the general fallen nature of humanity. Christ's teachings, and the teachings of the apostles, provide a methodology for turning the old, corrupted human, into a being that shares its accidents with god, and thus has union with him.

>Is it the main goal of you practice?

All of christian practice is bent in some way towards this goal.
>>
>>17654044
I don't think they're all 100% right but they are saying basically the same thing. Buddhism is literally Atheist Hinduism IMO. The 4 Advaita (non dual) religions are Sunyavada, Yogacara, Advaita Vedanta, Kashmir Shaivism. Theres a book on it called The Advaita Tradition in Indian Philosophy.
>>
File: Bhairava3.jpg (35KB, 390x501px) Image search: [Google]
Bhairava3.jpg
35KB, 390x501px
>>17653587
We are one. Holy shit is that legit what you wrote down for symptoms of enlightenment. Read 4.19-22 and like oh shit Im enlightened lol. Someone recently called me an Arhat and another called me Mr. Shiva. I can't believe Im enlightened by Vedanta standards!!! I follow Trika Saivism and have experienced Parama Siva and am obsessed with it. What they are referring to is prana kundalini in my tradition, I didn't know it was that big time! In comparison to Parama Siva it feels a million times milder! Only experienced that once. What is considered enlightenment is prana (energy) kundalini in Trika Saivism. Cit (consciousness) kundalini is a whole new ball game! Much appreciation to you listing those!

Bro how should I react to those with ill will? Ones who act superior and use tactics aimed at the subconscious to bring you down? I live in the US and these people exist. Im a taxi driver and all people react to my energy differently. Some very badly. Its weird its like ex felons love me (example black guy with the biggest and most face tattoos Ive ever seen wanted to move in with me; just met him today. Thats the kind of weird world I live in.) like a brother and people well off act like Im a monster! Im thinking of showing them bliss. Example my parents are some of these people and I wonder if I should wake them up? I see their ego, I see right through them, they are a mass of delusion; its as if they worship suffering. One thing they don't tell you about transcending the ego is you don't just transcend yours. I guess some people are so wrapped up in their ego they take major offense to you transcending them and seeing through them. Should I MAKE all those ignorant fucks wake up? Im sure it wouldn't be too hard.

BHAIRAVA!!!
>>
>>17653266
My family is Catholic. I am not. I believe in the teachings of Christ but not in the authority of any church. I am also a fan of the teachings of the Buddha and Krishna and Laozi. I was a Discordian briefly and practiced chaos magic for a while but got bored of it. Nowadays, I consider myself philosophically aligned with Hermeticism and Neoplatonism.
Enlightenment is when one achieves union with God/Nirvana/The Dao/Brahman/Reality/etc.
I believe that enlightenment can be achieved through many mystical/magical/meditative practices. I have also heard of spontaneous enlightenment but from what I understand that is quite rare.
>4. Is it the main goal of your practice?
Enlightenment has always been the main goal of my practice but there are lots of detours on the path. Right now, for example, I am unfortunately more concerned with getting a job than anything as high falootin' as enlightenment.
>5. (optional) Anything you feel you need to address that's not covered with the first 4
I think that enlightenment is an experience moreso than a state and just cause you get a taste doesn't instantly make you a master of all knowledge. At least this is what I have observed on psychedelics.
>>
>>17654016
Batshit crazy greater than left hand tantra.
>bahahahahahahahahaha roflmao
>>
>>17653657
>The things you have no control over are the things the gods have your back on.
How can I encourage or ensure this?
>>
>>17655267
Bg 3.21 — Whatever action a great man performs, common men follow. And whatever standards he sets by exemplary acts, all the world pursues.

Bg 3.25 — As the ignorant perform their duties with attachment to results, the learned may similarly act, but without attachment, for the sake of leading people on the right path.
Bg 3.26 — So as not to disrupt the minds of ignorant men attached to the fruitive results of prescribed duties, a learned person should not induce them to stop work. Rather, by working in the spirit of devotion, he should engage them in all sorts of activities [for the gradual development of Kṛṣṇa consciousness].
Bg 3.27 — The spirit soul bewildered by the influence of false ego thinks himself the doer of activities that are in actuality carried out by the three modes of material nature.
Bg 3.28 — One who is in knowledge of the Absolute Truth, O mighty-armed, does not engage himself in the senses and sense gratification, knowing well the differences between work in devotion and work for fruitive results.
Bg 3.29 — Bewildered by the modes of material nature, the ignorant fully engage themselves in material activities and become attached. But the wise should not unsettle them, although these duties are inferior due to the performers’ lack of knowledge.
>>
>>17655581
Cant believe Ive never read this book! Its like its destiny for me to read it now; I can appreciate it so much more.
>>
>>17655605
The next step then is to push toward Parabrahman. Work to recognize the same Absolute Nature in others as yourself. Meditate on how all those with ill will or sleeping are truly exactly the same as you, merely covered.

Bg 6.29 — A true yogī observes Me in all beings and also sees every being in Me. Indeed, the self-realized person sees Me, the same Supreme Lord, everywhere.
Bg 6.30 — For one who sees Me everywhere and sees everything in Me, I am never lost, nor is he ever lost to Me.
Bg 6.31 — Such a yogī, who engages in the worshipful service of the Supersoul, knowing that I and the Supersoul are one, remains always in Me in all circumstances.
Bg 6.32 — He is a perfect yogī who, by comparison to his own self, sees the true equality of all beings, in both their happiness and their distress, O Arjuna!
>>
I'm enlightened. I'd pursued it, but in the end it just happened.

This thread is kinda sad.

Namaste.
>>
File: haters gonna hate2.jpg (63KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
haters gonna hate2.jpg
63KB, 600x450px
>>17656357
Yeah we call it Parama Siva, same exact thing. Ill will is just a weird thing and meditating on how to deal with it; I have none. I guess its just a product of self love with ignorance of the Self. Should I just laugh when it happens, seems like the best way to respond but it pisses them off lol. Should I channel bliss and hope they pick up on it? Example some lady was taking the role of superiority to me and trying to make me feel like some kind of monster lol and I responded with pure joy and you should of seen the look of pure terror and disgust on her face lmao.
>>
File: cat gif.gif (874KB, 380x219px) Image search: [Google]
cat gif.gif
874KB, 380x219px
>>17657454
My dumb ass came out of enlightenment cause I felt bad for others not experiencing it; IM A FUCKING RETARD!!!
>>
>>17653266
1.Atheistic
2. Realizing that there is in fact a higher being that dictates the world, through the use not of "divine power" but math and science.
3.Realize that there are certain scientific laws in the universe and while that divine being might be able to break them, he still has to damn well understand them and use them to some extent.
4.My understanding up to a point about how god works is my enlightenment, there isn't really a need to practice it.
5. The fundamentals of math and probability dictate everything. Aliens who evolved like us, but before us, created us, and are trying to help us along despite the fact that we are killing ourselves. Our God(s) are satellite supercomputers, magic is a visual and sensory illusion.
>>
File: 1461190419877.jpg (37KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1461190419877.jpg
37KB, 450x450px
>>17658647
Christian, but (>>17654147) this guy.

I am the same way. It's caused me problems with my marriage, friends, and especially work.

People expect me to hate others for making certain (sinful/blind/ignorant) decisions but I sympathize and feel sorry for everyone. I used to be much worse!

At work I was expected to jump at the bosses screaming and act as if minor events were cataclysmic. I understood my last job, but the game wasn't real results but placating the customer. My passive personality wasn't good enough.

>Example some lady was taking the role of superiority to me and trying to make me feel like some kind of monster lol and I responded with pure joy and you should of seen the look of pure terror and disgust on her face lmao.

Same, but I've seen fear too. When people realize their anger and fear have no effect on a soul of bliss and no ill-will, they are at total loss.

So happy to see your posts.
>>
>>17653266
Sommeone didn't tell the foreigner it wus cream, someone just photographed it, for the lolz of course

>If foreigner did that, un it could kill, then eye for an eye time lads.
>>
>>17653266
1. Disciple
2. It is perfect childishness
3. By seeking it and doing it.
4. To be free and dumb and fed.
>>
>christcucks would literally bow down to a dead kike on a stick
Back in my day, this shitty site would condemn you all.
>>
File: Kali3.jpg (255KB, 900x683px) Image search: [Google]
Kali3.jpg
255KB, 900x683px
>>17658706
Thinks god can't break the scientific laws of the universe.
>bahahahahaahhhahahahaah
>I seen some shit!

God is a satellite supercomputer WUT!? Fuck I don't know man thats out there but heard the theory. I can tell you one thing though I heard the OM at loudest you can and it sounded like an infinitely loud engine. Aint nothing scarier than that shit! Why the fuck did it sound like an infinitely loud engine!? Like a old super souped up muscle car but infinitely loud! You think you know terror? You don't know shit! Experience was also infinitely blissful so not trying to scare you away.
>>
>>17658659

Sorry to hear it. Maybe in your next life?
>>
#1- Christian gone "Atheist." I don't care whether or not there is/are (a) diet(y/ies).
I feel as if we as a race should stop wasting time trying to figure out why we are here, and simply spend time trying to make ourselves better as a whole no matter what standards we might follow.
#2-Enlightenment to me is simply being able to be comfortable with yourself and your lifestyle. When you achieve enlightenment, you should expect to have the majority of your life's stress eliminated.
#3-You should achieve my "version" of enlightenment by subjecting yourself to humility. The majority of the reason we fail as a whole is because our people(s) don't know when to just keep their mouths shut. You may disagree without sharing.
#4-I live life by the daily. What happens happens, and I choose not to intervene unless I realize I'm heading through the wrong tunnel. I devote myself and all my time to my beloved.
>>
Enlightenment is that process of peeling off the layers of your soul until there's nothing left. That's the joke, the end is just nothing and there's nothing more to peel back. That's perfection.
>>
>>17653266
Christian --> Falun Gong

Being able to see a truth, seeing things how they -actually- are with no prejudice or confusion. Does not mean seeing everything, only that you are enlightened about this area, which of course can be yourself, the world, etc.

By removing all illusions and false notions.

It's the main goal of Falun Gong, but as I reached as far I as could there, I'm now going my personal way. I suppose this means a greater, more inclusive enlightenment.

Enlightenment means knowledge, and as such it is not a definite thing, and it's not the same for everyone.
>>
1) Roman Catholic >> Agnostic >> Atheist Stint >> Spiritual

2) Enlightenment is beyond me, to take a stab in the dark I'd say it is conjoining the higher and lower in this terrestrial vessel, or generally speaking self knowledge and awareness on origins and the way of those subtle things.

3) I don't know. I believe the harder you strive for it the more elusive it is, and the least you could give a damn the closer it gets. What I DO know is that anyone claiming transcendence is probably full of shit.

4) I live and breathe, that is my practice. Trying to be mindful & hidden.

5) Dolla dolla bill y'all
>>
>>17659760
>no
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.