[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buddhism General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: buddha.jpg (22KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
buddha.jpg
22KB, 460x276px
Let's try another one of these. Discuss anything Buddhism and Buddhist meditation related. Ask questions or let us know how your practice is going. If anyone has books they'd recommend, have at it. Try not to shitpost.

Pre-emptive FAQ to prevent said shitposting:
>buddhism is X / not X

There are a LOT of different schools of Buddhism. They don't all share the same outlook on everything. In the most general sense, the purpose of Buddhism is to aid the individual in eliminating the poisons of greed, anger and ignorance. This is because it's stressful holding onto those in this world. Only people who agree with that premise should find value in the practice. How it is done depends on the school, variations on the Noble eightfold path are most prevalent.

>Buddhism is nihilistic
Nihilism was common in the Buddha's day and was refuted from the start. Emptiness is the state of mind without ordinary conceptions and discriminatory thinking (I versus you, this versus that) disappear, seeing the world without judgment or mental boundaries. It is a very peaceful and joyful state but it's not "nothingness". It's called emptiness because no labels really apply.

The first noble truth states that there is suffering, not that all life is suffering. If all life were suffering, liberation would not be possible.

>desiring not to desire is an oxymoron
There are different types of desire in Buddhist terminology. Taṇhā is material desire and leads to suffering. Chanda is spiritual ambition and leads to liberation.

>how does rebirth work
Nobody really knows, but early texts say it's an impersonal process governed by karma. People have their own reasons for believing in it. Some Buddhists don't believe in reincarnation, and it's not a prerequisite for practicing.

>how do i into buddha
Contact a teacher/sangha in person and start practicing. There may be obstacles for you doing so - transcending those are part of the practice.

Namo Buddhaya
>>
>>17561779
you shouldn't make such a thread when you clearly don't know shit. you will only mislead people. read more. think more.
>>
One must reach the gateway to the path of enlightenment on their own OP. You know this to be true.

I applaud your outgoing efforts to engage the interested, but you must not be the one to start the conversation.
>>
>>17561779
>ignorance
This world expressly allows that. Ignorance tends to hurt the most in *OTHER* planes of existence.
>>
>>17561779
>It's called emptiness because no labels really apply.
Neither does "emptiness." I'm still not convinced that one can truly study Buddhism in modern English terms.

Anyway, the point is that when your mind is empty, it's still a mind, so it's still capable of thought. The problem is that people are in the habit of thinking that thought, opinions, and being take effort, when it's clear from an empty mind that they don't. Anyone that confuses the Buddhist notion of "emptiness" with complacency or lack of will has misunderstood the tradition exceptionally well.
>>
>>17563433
Then you're a fool...well, MORE of one. Modern English is one of if not the most descriptive and variegated languages that ever emerged.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.