[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meditation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: meditating.jpg (14KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
meditating.jpg
14KB, 300x225px
hey guys, wondering if any of you have any expirence in meditation, iv been having a little trouble, when i try my mind gets clear and relaxed, for the first 10 or so minuites, but then my bodys starts getting really hot and uncomfortable, and i feel like my eyes keep trying to look up which is also very unforftable and really puts me off, is there any tips any one can provide me a differant posture or somthing,
>>
>>17549097
Focus on your discomfort and allow it to become what centers your attention during meditation.
>>
>>17549106
the heat isnt really that bad but the eye thing is whats really putting me off makes it extremly difficult , try now just try looking up with your head straight and tell me that dosnt heart your eyes, i appreciate your reply btw,
>>
>>17549133
The eye thing is actually complicated, just relax your head, create a picture in front of you it can be anything, and focus on it.

My favorite exercise of this kind is a very old one, that makes you think of the sun for five minutes, most people can't do it.
>>
>>17549097

these things come from a restless mind. if your mind doesn't wander about, you won't be distracted by physical discomforts. also, your body won't create these strange reactions like the eye thing. don't try to fix it, just try not to wander. accept whatever comes up, don't push it away, and don't hold onto it when it leaves
>>
>>17549133

your eyes aren't actually looking up/rolling back. it's an illusion

your tongue is actually latched onto the roof of your mouth, and sucking on tightly while pulling downwards, creating pressure under/behind your eyes.

babies suck their thumbs to experience this exact feeling

anyone and everyone who has experienced out of body experiences/astral projection/near death experience/sleep/or any altered state of consciousness, experience this pressure.

this state is absolutely necessary in meditation and everyone does it subconsciously.

focus on the pressure behind your eyes, it's the doorway to visualising images/colours.
just make sure you're breathing very deeply and slowly
>>
I started meditating freestyle months ago, recently tried the half lotus pose and this starts hurting after a few minutes. Like, I feel it's not food for my leg/ankle. What's wrong with me, any tips?
>>
So let's say I'm at the level where I can not move for a good amount of time (for a beginner) and managed to get in the "blank mind" (I know it's not exactly like that but I'm simplifying) state more easily and for a longer time.
What would be the next steps? Something about chakras? How do they work? (when I'm looking for infos on chakras on YT, most of the time, I just end up on meditating music or something)
>>
>>17549905

you may not be flexible enough in your hips/legs.
I did gymnastics from 8-18, 25 now, so I've always been excessively flexible and never had a problem.

a lot of people I meditate with often say the same as you.
how long are you sitting for?

try doing stretches or core muscle exercises before you meditate, limber up a little
>>
File: Charanaravindam.jpg (725KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Charanaravindam.jpg
725KB, 1400x1050px
The only perscribed meditation for this name is harinam, or chanting the names of God. There is no other way.

Hare Krsna hare Krsna
Krsna Krsna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama
Rama Rama Hare Hare
>>
>>17549914

>when I'm looking for infos on chakras on YT, most of the time, I just end up on meditating music or something
>on YT

that's your main mistake.

books by spiritual leaders > jewtube new agers
>>
>>17549924
>how long are you sitting for?
I'm still a beginner, so 30 mn max per day.
Thanks for the advices, I may have overerestimated myself and I'm not that young anymore, so stretches may be a good idea.
>>
Do you stretch before sitting? Muscular tension can cause distress that can exacerbate a distracted mind. Meditate after you work out or stretch, your body will be more relaxed as will your mind.
>>
Obligatory disclaimer : english is not my first language

>>17549937
I know, I know. I'm also reading books of course.
To be honest, despites how childish this sounds, I like the video format better, and also most of the time, when you find some valuable people on YT, they already have read a lot of books and have experience, so why not take the short version. There's so many things to learn.
Anyways if you got recs on books about chakra (which I don't know about at all) and maybe meditation in general...
>>
>>17549853
this
>>
>>17549955

your English is fine, don't stress.

>so why not take the short version

imagine trying to do calculus without having learned multiplications.
imagine trying to classify stars without knowing your periodic table.

you gotta learn about spirituality, slowly, and in YOUR way, over a span of many years. everyone learns in their own way, as in, the pattern in which they accrue information on a subject.

for eg.
I furthered my meditation techniques from reading books and smoking weed.

you further yours from watching YT videos and meditation music

2 different styles of learning. same desired effect

taking a crash course from someone who has knowledge, does not mean you will obtain all their knowledge. if anything, you will miss out on all the finer details that hold the larger details together like glue.
seek what you what to learn, and you will find it. but going on YT and listening to people who have read books, will not give you the same knowledge as actually reading those books

and as for books, I can't give any titles off my head. go into your local hippy/crystal shop and I'm sure they'll have a lot of books for sale.
if no store is available near you, amazon is your friend
>>
>>17549914
Just try to make that "blank mind" feeling as long as you can. Matter of fact make it so that it can be a space where you rest, your home. That's the next step. You can then go about in the world in that state and think when necessary and more clearly. Most things will come to you by themselves. You will still to feel the subtle energy of your energy body once you are comfortable being in that "silenced mind" state.
>>
>>17549924
Can you recommend some appropriate stretches, please? Also, can you or anyone suggest stretches for very tight lower back/upper gluteus maximus? It's the only area I have that absolutely will not relax. Thanks!
>>
>>17550129

>sit on your bum
>put both soles of your feet together
>tuck your heels into your groin
>straighten your back (lower back mainly)
>try and stretch your knees outward, so they sit flat on the floor, while keeping your heels toward your groin
>if you can hold your knees flat on the ground, with your heels in your groin, try sitting in a stool or pommel, so that you can flex beyond 180degree

this will help with half lotus pose
>>
>>17550290
Many thanks, my friend.
>>
>>17550290
Thank you very much!
>>
I'm starting to change consistantly. Is it normal to be happy almost all the time all laugh instead of being pissed of or sad?
The question may seem stupid, it may even be the normal state of an average human being, but I have been a chronic depressive since I was a teenager (I am now past 30), so it feels weird to me, my old default state used to be bored and apathetic, being genuinely happy was pretty rare and even then, it wasn't the same kind of happiness I think.
>>
>>17549853
>>17549706
>>17549338
thank for your encouraging support, il try these things you have suggested
>>
>>17550970
i say if your happy all the time, then dont question it or wonder if its normal, you just enjoy it let it lead you places, and if you are happy then your doing better than the normal person and i envy you keep going
>>
>>17549955
the yoga sutra by patanjali, is a good read for yoga and meditation
and The Yoga of Power by evola, this was recomended to me and i have on my next to read, although i cant vouch for it personally both these you can easily find the pdf of, by a quick google search
>>
>>17551188
>i say if your happy all the time, then dont question it or wonder if its normal, you just enjoy it let it lead you places
Yeah, thanks, I guess so. I'm just curious by nature, and also a bit surprised by how "easy" everything seems now compared to my old life.
>>
File: large.jpg (95KB, 500x638px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
95KB, 500x638px
>>17549097
>>17549097
This is more or less a basic type of instructional meditation. There are lots of "basic" techniques out there, but that's all they are, basic. Which is by no means bad, they're wonderful and help every day life. If you want to go deep with it after a while I recommend a book called "Zen mind beginners mind" but shunryu suzuki I think.
>>
Does posture or technique really change the experience of meditation? Couldn't one just meditate while lying down?
>>
>>17551308
>eye's partially open, butt relaxed

how do you stop from pooping yourself while meditating?
>>
>>17551615
Probably but the ritualized poses probably make it easier for beginners to subconsciously process everything.
>>
>>17551645
You relax yourself oveer the toilet first thing. Then you wash, then meditate whilst warming yourself with a candle. geez.
>>
File: chakra.jpg (146KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
chakra.jpg
146KB, 720x540px
>>17551615
>Couldn't one just meditate while lying down?
You can, but you will fall asleep easier.

I am stiff as fuck and if i try to sit in the position as the guy in OP's pic i would probably be to busy thinking ''this is uncomfortable this is uncomfortable this is uncomfortable'' to achieve much of anything. But i (think, i haven't spent years learning from some guru so i am not an expert) had a kundalini experience while laying down on my bed, just straight out and with my hands together at my waist.

I think as long as your chakras are aligned you can be in what ever position you want. So a padded chair with straight back support will probably work just fine until you loosened up a bit.
>>
>>17551615
i tryed that and i just fell asleep, so i think posture is key, if only to keep you away
>>
>>17551615

Posture is very important because of biological reasons, but you can meditate when doing anything, and some experienced practicioners strive to meditate 24/7. But we all have to return to the cushion and integrate the practice there
>>
i used to meditate quite alot between 2008 - 2010
and became quite good at it and noticed results.
however after a drug overdose at end of 2012
i can no longer seem to meditate successfully.

if you imagine that when you sit down to meditate is like taking a turn down a familar road, and every time you pass a sign, or a corner that you are familar with as you go deeper down that road...
well since the overdose, none of those signs or turns were the same, and it was as harder than ever before.... an overnight difference..
>>
>>17549097

Used to do it a while back after school to help relieve stress. I found the easiest way was to just breath deeply, close my eyes, and focus on the area like half a foot out from my nose. It always felt like I would flout out into an infinite void. Once after a while I saw a blue dot so I focused on it in the distance of this giant void. It was the deepest blue imaginable, it's color was indescribable almost letting off a dull glow. It was the only light in this expanse and as I got closer It was morphing and shifting like a 3d fractal. The scale of this was hard to comprehend as it was still far away. After about 5min of floating closer I got freaked out and stopped. To this day it is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.
>>
>>17553812
First of all, what did you overdose on?

Second it could be an after effect of the overdose itself, or a psychological block of concentration, related to the traumatic experience.
>>
Best advice ever: get the best meditation teacher that you would be comfy with, this will save you years of practice
>>
>>17553988

i overdosed on methadone
i fell asleep and woke up (lucky to wake up apparently) and then vomitted and found i wasnt feeling right, like all my nerves had been rewired.

i hope it is a psychological block,
because it was quite traumatic
>>
>>17554807
I had a similar experience anon. Used to be able to meditate for almost 2 hours. Then stopped meditating then got back into drugs then OD on some strange free street drug, two other people died that night and I had the craziest psychotic episode for around 2-3 months. It's been a little over a year and my recovery (mostly psychological) has been slow but steady. I am now able to have a good 20 minute meditation. Just keep working on yourself, it's definitively a psychological block/effect, you'll get over it if you keep working at it.

Best of luck anon. Stay up. Meditate, eat good, exercise and don't do drugs.
>>
>>17551308
Do I have to do this sitting? I find laying down easier.
>>
>>17554960
>>17553874
>>17553812
thanks for your replys guys, its very encouraging and im am feeling more relaxed after hearing from everyone although my eyes still playing tricks on me
>>
>>17554761
how would you go about finding one, surley they would charge like a yoga class or somthing not that moneys an issue and of course they have to make a livving it would just feel ingenuine
>>
>>17555221
do you not fall asleep?, i heared zen buddists do walking zen but i think the idea is being in the here and now i dont know enough about it, dont take my words as authority perhaps someone else can clarify
>>
>>17549097
Contemplate the Way in the manner of Neiye 10 and 13. You have achieved a reasonable amount of peaceful mind but you are not progressing your mental state and Jing. These pressures will naturally become less plentiful as your nature becomes more stable.
>>
>>17556591
Also, on technique and posture, it sounds like you might be more suited to Deep Breathing, but your posture in accordance with modern seated meditation should not be incorrect.
When breathing, actively focus on contracting your Diaphragm, and use very slow and steady breaths.
>>
Mesmer happened to be, believe it or not, the godfather of Amadeus Mozart. In fact he raised Mozart, and of course Mozart was this incredible genius musician and his biography will show you more than one obvious example of someone who behaves as if he were suffering from Dissociative Identity Disorder. You can conclude that maybe Mesmer played around to enhance the musical abilities of Mozart at the cost of other parts of his personality.
https://sm4csi.home.xs4all.nl/nwo/MindControl/history_of_mind_control.htm
>>
Why does the pressure get so damn intense though? Same with the eyes, that start darting around.. I get scared that I'm about to have a seizure or something lol
>>
>>17556664
i find it easy to enter the state of meditation through normal breathing and just being focused on my breaths while just letting them breath me instead of forcing as my breaths get wider apart and slower, natrualy, but after a short period i get the sense and feeling my eyes are shooting up asif my head is straight but im trying to look up above , combined with the feeling of closing your eyes and moving them around under your eye lids although im not moving them, but thats when my concentration breaks as the sensation is very difficult for me to overcome
>>
>>17556818
The traditional theory and what a lot of posters went with is that those effects are due to mental strain, which is why I posted assets related to Jing and Yang. If that's not the route you're looking for, consider focusing your eyes attentively through your eyelids or with eyes open. It could also be that your are autonomously applying pressure to your face, so ensure your body, not just your mind, is relaxed.
>>
>>17556959
you make a very good point thank you
>>
>>17556549

That's right, Zen Buddhists do walking Zen, washing-dishes Zen, stuck in traffic Zen, even sleeping and dreaming Zen. But they also practice sitting Zen a whole lot.

The sitting posture, apart from the benefits of allowing a deep diaphragmic breath, promoting circulation, allowing you to notice physical tensions and keeping you awake, gets you in a certain mindset. Meditation isn't just about blissing out in no-mind land. You practice to identify core habits and tendencies that generate stress. Personal dislikes are part of that.

A very powerful aspect of meditation practice is appropriating and adjusting yourself to a posture that might not be your preference. Just like in daily life, you have to deal with unpreferable situations - in meditation we don't shy away from that. We watch the mind while we're bored, distracted and uncomfortable. Eventually you learn to sit like a mountain, unfazed by stiff legs or whatever. It will become pleasant as your body adjusts. But how can you expect to be dealing with the ego while sprawled out in some comfortable posture in bed, a hairs-breadth from falling asleep? The latter may be relaxing but it's just "meditation according to Joe" and doesn't carry the same spiritual benefit. Methods can differ, but in the strict classical sense there's a clear structure and practice to meditation that has been refined and taught for thousands of years.

It's absolutely imperative that you learn to take the attitude you develop in meditation into your daily life, in all situations. But we integrate the practice sitting down, only then can we take it elsewhere.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.