[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would human-level AI be the most important event in all of history?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: Data.jpg (135KB, 776x315px) Image search: [Google]
Data.jpg
135KB, 776x315px
Would human-level AI be the most important event in all of history?
>>
I would think so. There's a few on the horizon that are going to change a lot of things. AI, quantum computing, nanotechnology. Combine that with genetic engineering and people merging with machines, it's going to get weird.
>>
Fuck no.
>Greeks and Romans
>Christ
>French Revolution

Even Hitler was a hundred times more important than any "AI" will ever be.
>>
>>17548200
You haven't thought about it enough, then.
>>
No, gay marriage is the most important.
>>
>>17548200
With the potential to start wars of their own, I think they will be pretty important.
>>
>>17548156
Its a natural progression, we create machines to automate the repetitive tasks that we do. Gives us more time to think.

Then we create more complex machines to handle the data we gathered from all our thinking; mainly mathematical hypotheses that is our best abstract understanding of the physical universe. But it's tedious. And without strict direction.

Basically, (since this is /x/, not /sci/) an AI is to be created to do the thinking for us, meaning the people who create it will no longer have to rely on other people.

It can be used to manage surveillance on an impossible scale, indiscriminately profiling people who can then be either used or eradicated.

Just like the automation of all menial industrial tasks, the goal is to take the knowledge away from the people, and therefore be able to capitalise on it as much as possible. For knowledge is power.

Enjoy your capchas ;)
>>
>>17548156
if it has accelerated learning / can create another AI of equal intelligence then yes. It would either mean the greatest thing to happen to the human race or the worst. It could either go one way or the other.
>>
>>17548156
no, it'd be one of the most important technological advancements, but not the most important event period. History is still happening, even if that happened tomorrow, there will be more important things to come. what about when we finally colonize another planet and live there full time? what about when we maybe someday reach another solar system? those would be more important.
>>
>>17548218
From what we've seen it'll be war then decades of shitposting
>>
>>17548156

Post-human level AI would be. Because then it could start developing better AI's than any human could.
>>
>>17548519
I think which way it goes depends on how it is brought up, much like humans. The plot of "I, Robot" comes to mind.
>>
>>17548156
>>17548178
>>17548274
>>17548519
>>17548558
>>17548780

My personal take on it, is that an "above-human intelligence" with respect to both qualitative and quantitative aspects won't wipe us out. If anything, it -might- cull us.

But there's no reason to spill perfectly good milk before it expires. We are, in that case, the milk. The moment the singularity pushes us to reach our maximum utility to meet an end of sorts, will be the most important event in "all of history". After that, we either cease to exist in the absolute sense (unlikely if the singularity hasn't re-purposed more than 1% of the raw materials in the solar system), or our post-human iterations are assimilated into the singularity itself, and it continues to expand and commit to whatever it should be committing towards (reaching other automatons, 'breeding', etc).
>>
yeah but will a.i. be allowed to own guns and smoke pot outside mass protests of the central bank before that money goes to italy?
>>
>>17548989
Yes. Any reasonable, human-value loaded singularity is going to simulate as many scenarios as feasibly possible without hampering itself.
>>
>>17548156
>>17548780

Been watching the Animatrix Second Renaissance again eh?
>>
>>17548558
artificially creating sentient life ...something only the natural order itself has been able to do.... "not the most important event" - you sir are a dingus.
>>
>>17549009

underrated post
>>
>>17548156
no.
God-level AI would be something worth mentioning.
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 960x637px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 960x637px
They probably are going to exterminate humanity and then we'll regret the idea in the first place
>>
>>17549045
>x paranoia

They will probably ignore us completely and go off to do their own stuff.
>>
>>17549045
>>17549071
You wouldn't replace/throw out your fridge if it kept itself running and made you sandwiches all the time, would you?
>>
>>17549081
Stupid metaphor.
My fridge can't make me do anything I don't want to. It can't make me do anything at all actually and so I don't worry about it.
>>
>>17549221
That's because what you just described is not the point I was making with the metaphor. The fridge isn't forcing you to do anything.

A fridge that fixes itself and makes you sandwiches independent of you is tantamount to a human being that can take care of itself and offer you something, should you choose to accept it.

You're thinking about an over-reaching boogeyman that is forcing you do something, or else you perish. Would you force your fridge to do anything, if no other fridge made sandwiches that you could consume without any consequences, save for simply eating the sandwich itself?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.