[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's see if we can have nice things and have a decent thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: Hubble_deep_field.jpg (2MB, 1771x1819px) Image search: [Google]
Hubble_deep_field.jpg
2MB, 1771x1819px
Let's see if we can have nice things and have a decent thread.

What is all of this? In all seriousness. What kind of system is this? And feel free to remember this is /x/ so paranormal or metaphysical ideas are welcome. I've just been thinking about this a lot, as a lot of you probably do. Is everything just waves and we just occupy some frequency, and matter exists because of some kind of fluctuation or dark matter interacting with gravity, or what? Is this the only universe out there? Space is infinite, so the universe is this system that you could see if you zoom out far enough.
>>
"I have never since entirely freed myself of the impression that this life is a segment of existence which is enacted in a three-dimensional boxlike universe especially set up for it."
- Carl Jung
>>
>>17524908
You can't 'zoom out' of the universe; you and any other possible observers are confined to it and are part of it. It still is interesting however to think about how the universe is structured; although you couldn't physically observe a universe model as I stated above, you could possibly support any theories about the structure of the universe through quantified observation. For example, one of the Feinmann models (RIP spelling sorry guy) states that the universe is finite but boundless; this would suggest that given enough time, anything (best example is light) travelling in a direction away a specific point would, theoretically and given enough time, return to that point. I'm by no means an astrophysicist, but such things are nonetheless very cool to think about.
>>
File: galacticfilaments1.jpg (32KB, 299x218px) Image search: [Google]
galacticfilaments1.jpg
32KB, 299x218px
>>17525050
Yeah this thread is going to have to be pretty theoretical. I am interested in galactic filaments, apparently that's our structure of our universe. Dark matter looks like a web and I guess that's why the universe does as well on a large scale. I'm trying to learn more about it though.

This stuff is insanely fascinating to me.
>>
>>17524908
It's all just thoughts , consciousness.
>>
>>17524908
It has to be there, for you to be here, it's just a reflection of you.
>>
I've always believed this universe is like a training program and we choose our lives based on possibilities to be put in certain situations that living through would cause personal growth and that when you die you take all experiences back with you to your "soul" that exists outside of time and space. Now in order to increase efficiency and by not being bound to the laws of time and space I believe this "soul" is the spark that drives every living thing and after the last living thing has died and the universe has gone through heat death the information gained from experiencing this universe from all points of view is used to improve the next iteration of the universe.
>>
>>17526471
Looks like an image of neurons firing
>>
>>17526486
There's a lot of simple obvious facts about the universe that still make me look around and marvel at it. I guess I try and maintain this perspective of seeing things for the first time. We live in a system with these measurable laws (and the entire output of humanity is measurable as well). We are something that the universe is able to create. It's just pretty cool. Too bad I can't really go around saying "Wow guys, the universe, neat stuff" without funny looks.

>>17526549
It totally does. On a large scale I'm insanely curious at what is going on. How does the universe work at that scale, if you were to forget time existed and speed things up.

Space is also described as "foamy" and everything seems to work as a wave. The nature of things at a large scale is pretty neat, we're like ants trying to map the Earth (well we're pretty good at what we do).
>>
>>17526559
>Wow guys, the universe, neat stuff" without funny looks.

People like distractions. It's just a part of the Human experiencee.
>>
>>17526511

This is EXACTLY what I think. At least on the afterlife, but later.

The "soul" isn't the force that drives every living thing and eventually all living things will die and the universe will "die" - gas giants billions of lightyears away like in OP's Hubble image are using the same energy that we are using to exist, feel, think, etc. I think it is all one and completely linked and that is the most profound and absolutely fucking terrifying though I have pretty much ever had.

Onto life. People piss and moan about 'determinism' - yes, each event is preceded by and event and will in turn precede another event - but I don't believe you are confined to a single, predetermined fate. I think there are crucial periods in life where you can 'choose' to go down this path or another - yes, those will be influenced by events prior and yes, the events afterwards will also be influenced by events blah blah blah. Asking for true "Free Will" is like asking for the universe to bend over in front of you and allow you to dominate it. You can control your life. But it will take various paths and you will need to make certain decisions to turn *this* way or *that* way.

(cont'd for anyone who gives a sh.)
>>
>>17526613

The afterlife. If it exists at all I think it will be a continuation of what we have *felt* (most important) and lived throughout our lives - I honestly believe you will continue. But you will be tainted and tethered to the energy (otherwise known as emotion) you felt throughout life, and at your death. I believe we continue, but it is extremely hard if not impossible to grow and adapt and improve as a person, because the outside influences from life are no longer acting upon you. You are just an "afterimage" of what you felt in a physical existence.

More important, and scarier, is the nature of your death. If you have a horrifying, awful death that energy, emotion, sensation will be the 'energy' that sticks with you in the afterlife. You will be stuck in that horror for as long as it takes you to... I don't even know. Eternity or you will "move on" - give your energy to something else. Reincarnate.

And if you have compassion and the ability for empathy, you may feel sorry for certain people and sort of 'blend' into their experiences (energy), but this is horrendously dangerous, because you have just placed yourself in the same zone as anothers' life ("energy"), and they can literally 'switch' with you, leaving you in their place and they in yours.

So anyway, disregarding the last bizarre part. I believe - and I wish I didn't and am very open to new ideas - that there is an afterlife, but I don't think it will be pleasant at all. It will merely be a continuation - most likely permanent - of what you were feeling throughout your life and at the moment of your death.

So do the best you can and find some *peace of mind*, and some resolution, not just pleasure and a whole bunch of wild experiences. Because you will be regretting it for an eternity.
>>
>>17524908
Read Tom Cambells "my big Toe,or go to youtube he explains why we live in a virtual reallity, and why only conciousness is fundamental.
>>
>>17526613
>>17526635
I like your interpretation on the afterlife and your last paragraph about finding peace of mind and worrying less about hedonism. I'm really sleep deprived so I don't have much to add but thanks for the reply.
>>
>>17525050
It's Feynman, and he didn't come up with this idea.
Finite and boundless just means like a sphere or torus.
>>
>>17526471
Now, theoretically, if you zoomed out on this, would it eventually resolve into a uniform field?
>>
>believes in external universe
M8 you are the universe.
>>
File: 1391369233314.jpg (47KB, 590x442px) Image search: [Google]
1391369233314.jpg
47KB, 590x442px
>>17526635
The afterlife is not full of people griping onto emotions. All their sense of self is gone and they are effectively energy in the EM spectrum travelling around the globe with the rest. Part of local God if you like. Life holds no meaning there, there is nothing remotely tethering them to their old emotions or ideas.
>>
>>17526635 sorry, but can you elaborate in why do you think the seek of pleasure is a bad thing?
>>
>>17524908
At the smallest measurement, deviations of density of space.
>>
>>17529189
There are three outcomes to seeking pleasure in the material:

You do not achieve your desire.
You achieve your desire and the outcome is not as you expected.
You achieve your desire, the outcome is as you expected, and time will take away what you have achieved.

All of these are causes of suffering.
>>
>>17529657
buddha worried too much about suffering.. waaah. suffering ain't so bad. worrying is worse.
>>
>>17524908
It's a bunch of shit I threw together to convince my past self that I wasn't crazy.

It didn't work.
>>
>>17526549
it looks like mold on another planet.
>>
I feel like life is an effect of the universe and is as natural as anything else, but consciousness is not. I think that there most certainly are other conscious forms of life but I don't know if it's even remotely likely that anything as intelligent as us exists at the same time or general vicinity. I don't believe in a divinity or advanced extraterrestrial creators, and I think that we at some point developed higher consciousness because it has advanced our species to where we are today. I don't think we will ever make it out of the galaxy, or even this arm of the galaxy, while humans are alive.
>>
>>17526996
Yeah that's what I wonder. Is it just... more universe? Does the universe look like a web in the middle of nothingness in space? Or are there more frequencies or whatever just around us that are essentially their own universes with their own laws? And if so, are we interacting with any other universes in any way (perhaps through gravity)?

What I like is looking at everything as waves, because not only is that what things are but it introduces the idea of other types of waves going on at the same time. Maybe there's a universe simultaneously going on within ours, but that we will never interact with because they are made of a completely different type of matter. It's as if we were able to interact with light but not radio waves.
>>
>>17527009
I try to talk about it as if it includes us. Not that it matters, I could exclude the moon from my definition of "the universe" and I doubt it would change how vast and broad it is. Although I would now be talking about a moonless universe, so there's the con of that. So I could exclude myself from my definition of "the universe" and pretend this separation exists.

On the flip side, if you don't assume people are creating these separation between themselves and the universe just because they are using the phrase "the universe", things get easier and you don't end up with the paragraph above.
>>
>>17529657
Wait a second, now!
What I think you listed are actually problems.

>You do not achieve your desire.

This is a problem of the mind. You shouldn't beat yourself if you do not achieve your desire. This is a problem! That's where suffering begins! That line of thinking is where the suffering is located! It's not in the seeking of the pleasurable activity -- No -- it's in beating yourself over for not achieving it!

>the outcome is not as you expected

A great mistake people make is beating yourself over expectations and making yourself suffer.

>You achieve your desire, the outcome is as you expected, and time will take away what you have achieved.

Ah.. time takes a lot of things away. Why should I make myself suffer by stressing over this? Maybe it's because I hold such value in it and that I am afraid of my feelings on it leveling out and the excitement dimming. Whatever this desire or pleasure is, maybe this is why I would stress myself over time taking away what I achieved. Think about why you would allow yourself to stress over this.

Best key to stress management is that you can control your stress and manage it. It's not easy, but people really need to stop dancing around the issue and learn to take action. Else they will have no idea about the connection between compulsive thinking and worrying and stress.. or they would continue to do things like running from things that trigger it rather than solving the problem.

These are all problems that your mind is making. Let's say you seek out pleasure. Maybe it's some good food, music, the excitement of adventure. You're seeking something to triggers your body in a certain way.. Try and look at pleasure as a funny tickle that you create when you get what you desire. I wouldn't say that's inherently a bad thing.
>>
>>17532350
I think consciousness could be seen as just connections in the brain. Maybe from the perspective of these connections, time and space are significantly different. I like to think that it's a completely different dimension to think about and that probably could be measured. That could be consciousness. Consciousness could be a different dimension. We're pretty far I'd say from ever having a definite answer to that.

I think that since the universe is incredibly massive and the same kinds of chemical reactions occur all the time in the large scale universe, it could be happening on planets all around the universe. That being said, I think that intelligent life being an occurrence in the universe is not a far-fetched statement. How frequent? I'm not sure, but the universe can be described as a system that can produce intelligent life. It has us, and so it has others.
>>
File: Closed Universe Model.jpg (212KB, 1297x771px) Image search: [Google]
Closed Universe Model.jpg
212KB, 1297x771px
>>17524908
>Is this the only universe out there?

No.

What we can see is OUR observable universe, and it's little more than a bubble of energy expanding into the ACTUAL universe that we inhabit.

We found out through experimentation here, that energy in a closed system is never created or destroyed, it is only transformed, and this applies to our universe as well.

The energy that created us, IS us, is eternal and exists in a closed system.

Singularities concentrate that energy by collecting matter and turning it into energy, again, via gravity. Then, when a critical mass is reached, it detonates, releasing, and distributing, all the energy it collected back into the universe, where, over time, it is all collected up again via gravity into singularities....until it reaches another critical mass, and the cycle begins again.

The acceleration of the expansion of our observable universe is due to the fact that we are surrounded by singularities that are exerting a gravitational pull on us.

Our universe is little more than an eternal transition of energy from one form to another, concentrating, distributing, condensing into matter, and then getting concentrated again in singularities until a critical mass is achieved and it's time to distribute it back into the universe again.
>>
>>17529004

Well if that's true that's pleasant to know and terrifying (from an "I don't want to not exist" perspective). That is one concept I have not overcome, as an 'atheist' from the moment I could think of God/not God, and maybe all my ideas stem from that rather than some weird prescience or whatever the F.

>>17529189

In general it isn't. It's great fun and a normal thing to do. It's just if you spend your whole life seeking the best high, going higher and higher, pushing the boundaries etc, it feels magical, but when you come back down to earth you realize you haven't actually learned anything. You haven't even really grown as a person. You've just got a bunch of wild memories, which will satisfy you as long as you think in the same way, but once you seek something *deeper* that lasts a little longer, it all seems like a waste of time (my experience; YMMV). In fact I'm being dramatic but I can't think of another way to put it.

I guess it's the *lifestyle* of pleasure-seeking, rather than seeking pleasure like a normal person would. Hedonism - if it's the only thing you know and you commit yourself wholly to it than I find that a pretty shallow existence.

Been very sick c.10 years ago and the ability to feel almost any kind of sincere pleasure was out the window - but I survived down there. Now that I'm a bit more human enjoyment - sexuality, for instance, feels almost parasitic. It's nice but I hate getting trapped, and I know that it's not all that important because I was ok when I didn't really have it in my life.

Listening to music for instance is different. That's beautiful, harms noone, and for the most part (o.0) isn't addictive. I guess I'm talking about the kind of pleasure-seeking that drags you into 'the zone' and doesn't let you go. Would not want to spend my life involved with that and have to be trapped in the same place forever after. Sometimes you want to relax, lie back and get that 'breath' of fresh air.
>>
>>17533777

Fucking "Emily Diaz" what? How did that happen?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (65KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
65KB, 480x360px
>>17524908
It is beutiful. that's the only axiom i can say for all of this vast infinity of darkness with light specks as galaxies.
It is counciousness too. it is something beyond our scientific high grade maths, physics and quantum physics.
what's the truth? no one knows, but it must be something more than aweinspiring.
what is beutifull? the sparkling night sky. the light coming from eons away, straight in your gazing eyes.
if the truth exists, then it must be something beutifull.
The shrooms made me come here to type this.
They are the only conciousness thing that i know lots of you are familiar with.
they are a part, a tiny fragment of that what is a part of truth and beuty all the same.
And they are so ancient so very old, they were here before our galaxy formed.
you know about that spooky action at a distance that scientists are talking about?
thats how ancient cosmic infinte conciousness can comunicate with lower conciousness such as humans.This what im writing is not just some random coincidence.its part of my path of fate.and you're probably on the same path as me as you read this and understand it.
but fate will be subjective, and i will stare at sky at night, looking at the stars twinkle, in one point in this space and our time, and you will do that too, or wont do it. its up to you to descide your fate, we only shared the pathway together, my frend.
>>
Can't believe that you people actually believe that this is all real? Its all illusion,imagination,simulation. It was never meant to be explored by anybody,especially us, the humans.
Rainbow has more colors than we can see.
>>
>>17533083
Not the guy you responded to, but observation is a phenomenon of consciousness and therefore cannot be removed.
>>
Perhaps we are all just neurons. Simply part of a super massive living thing called the universe.
>>
>>17526996
It becomes Live as Us.
We are live and we are a part of it.
Trust me, I'm a Doctor after all
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.