[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Exactly how would the SCP world function in the slightest? Nearly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

File: SCP-Banner2.png (17KB, 800x220px) Image search: [Google]
SCP-Banner2.png
17KB, 800x220px
Exactly how would the SCP world function in the slightest? Nearly everything they find kills them, groups of their men, or fucks with their brains to the point that they're taken control of, and it seems like a good chunk of ones they gather are by dumb luck. A good example is the SCP that's a book that uses whatever liquids it finds to write books that create more books of its kind and so on using the same method. The fact they found the things before it took over the world is insane. Another good one is the mask, how they managed to capture it without being taken over or driven insane is already crazy enough, but then the longer it's confined the more it secretes fluids, has telepathic abilities that can stop lights and lock doors, and leads people to suicide after three hours of just sitting around the thing.

How are there enough Death Row inmates to keep up the supply of Class-D personnel when they lose seemingly 400 a week just to tests alone? Furthermore, wouldn't The Foundation basically be known all around the world? They mess and interfere with absolutely everything everywhere and yet no one notices? How do they even make the money needed for all their research?

It just seems like if there ever was an outbreak t all it would be impossible to contain it, especially if any of the biohazard ones got out thanks to all the insane requirements needed to keep it in check.
>>
File: 1457402073029.gif (4MB, 512x381px) Image search: [Google]
1457402073029.gif
4MB, 512x381px
>>17477416
>>
>>17477416
It's definitely gotten too big for its own in-universe consistency, but they do kinda try to hand-wave it away with alternate dimensions and the postulated ability to re-make the universe and blah blah blah.

Just repeat to yourself, it's just internet creepypastas, I should really just relax.
>>
>>17477416

Thats the thing. In the SCP world everyone is part of SCP.
>>
>>17477474
>Just repeat to yourself, it's just internet creepypastas, I should really just relax.
I get it, it's just that some of the stories feel like they're very inconsistent. Some of the containment protocols seem impossible to find for certain ones without enacting an XK or whatever the other world ending scenarios are called, same deal with containing pathogens that take over people's bodies driving them insane and passing them off to others, etc.
>>
>>17477416
I've been using the SCP foundation in my latest pen and paper game. My players have no idea about the website so I use it to make sessions for them and then after the session print out edited SCP pages and work them up to make them look official and deliver the completed reports to them detailing how their missions went and what the foundation researchers discovered about their work.

They fucking love it and it makes writing way easier.
>>
>>17477416
I've only learnt of the SCP's existence recently, so I'e only read the first 30ish, but I feel like these inconsistencies are pretty easy to ignore. Although maybe writers should calm down with some of the containment procedures. Basically every object involves constant surveillance, and personnel cleaning/inspecting the areas every day. Doesn't really bother me though. It's a pretty cool collection of stories and I'm thinking of writing my own some time (it won't be some god-like self-insert being, don't worry)

>>17477498
That sounds fun. Why don't you tell them where you're getting it from though?
>>
>>17477574
Because I don't want them to look up the information in between sessions.

I don't use SCP, just call it the foundation. I even created HR forms and orientation packets for their characters.
>>
>>17477574
Once you read a hundred or so it gets to be silly. Most of the containment protocols require jumping on one foot with psychiatric evaluators on standby to make sure you don't trip and fall and become suicidal while the SCP inside sits there doing nothing, but if it does something you might as well kill yourself since it'll do something that makes no sense so the place has to be nuked and the thing survives anyway.

The big problem is just how they figure out half the containment protocols in the first place. They're super dangerous, a good chunk can just control your mind, there's a bunch of pathogen ones that can instantly kill you yet somehow they haven't spread across the world, and so on. I remember reading one earlier where the thing came in contact with bacteria on a person's skin, re-animated them, vomited blood everywhere to spread the disease, and if the guy survived it would evolve. They'd flood the cage and then the person grew gills and survived for two months.

It's really hard to handwave a lot of these things since you have this huge amount of complexes run by a gigantic corporation that manages to hide itself yet is at the mercy of different companies to get things done, there's like ten different cults that can bring about the end of the world just farting around, people from different universes pop in to try to destroy that Foundation, and they have so many containment breaches yet nothing ever dooms the world.
>>
>>17477641
I totally ignore the containment stuff and just read the descriptions and interviews.

I recommend most people do that.
>>
>>17477641
I see what you mean. Personally, even though I haven't read many yet, I can already tell my favourites are the real simple ones that don't really do all that much. The ones that are super super deadly and involve extreme constant containment/surveillance aren't as interesting. (I honestly think my favourite so far might just be the gravel path in some woods that, when walked on counter-clockwise is constantly uphill, but when walked clockwise is just a regular path. I don't care for all the additional information attached to it, just that concept alone was kind of neat.)

I do feel like there is some sort of appeal or charm in the fact that the SCP world is completely insane and unmanageable and that the Foundation itself are so clinically focused on cataloging and containing everything no matter how crazy and deadly it is. Mostly though I'm just taking each SCP on its own and not really thinking all too much about how it all fits together.
>>
>>17477682
I like ones with an intricate story like 093 and one of the 1200s. They're some of my favorite ones since you go up the clearance levels and then in the latter's case you find out it was all just a way to keep people from resurrecting the thing sleeping under the earth which could possibly shatter dimensions.

It's so hard to find ones like that since they're huge stories and you get to see what O5 sees.
>>
So since this is SCP we're talking about. Would they collaborate with local law enforcement? Like for example, a mother and their child were thankfully saved by two friendly Hillbillies from swamp cultists who worship some obscure deity in a swamp.

The mother and the two sane and friendly hillbillies report to local cops about the crazy cultists, the dispatch decide to relay the news to an nearby SCP facility, the facility relay to HQ and send forces to work with the locally dispatched cops to cull those crazy guys.

Something like that?
>>
>>17477818
It seems like the SCP Foundation has their hand in all the various governmental structures and high-profile companies at the very least. I have no doubt they have some sort of program that sifts information for them from all dispatches and highlights the most troubling of them for the actual agents to arrive with. For the most part it seems like local folklore and legends about mysterious and odd things happening coupled with actual evidence(Like people disappearing) is what prompts them to arrive more than anything else.
>>
For some reason, I've always imagined The SCP Foundation being in Gravity Falls... Maybe Dipper and Mabel would grow up to be recruited by The SCP Foundation in the future.
>>
>>17477743
>>17477777
>>
>>17477416
Its simple, they have Dr Kondraki

/thread
>>
Anybody here ever posted their own SCP? Or thought about it? What were your experiences like? What was/is your idea?
>>
Since it would be stupid to have multiple SCP threads at once, I'm just going to ask my SCP-related stuff here.

So I know Max Landis has written an SCP, but have any other "notable" people contributed to the site?
>>
>>17477498

>writing
>>
>>17477962
I've posted three. Two were accepted, one rejected. The rejected one nearly drove me around the bend, as all good rejections do. I thought their reasons for rejection were stupid, that they clearly hadn't read the material, etc. etc., I was FURIOUS! Anyway, I got over it, realized they were probably right or, at least, right enough.

My two accepted I was happy with, but in both cases I feel like I failed to get what I was aiming at across. I wish I'd put more time into each, but they're still fairly well received. One briefly made it onto the most popular list, for a spell.
>>
>>17478095
What did he write?
>>
>>17477962
I found the core SCP founders still working at the site less than helpful. In fact, a few of them had really let their whole success go to their heads. However, the irc channel they have has a lot of more base line contributors and they were very, very helpful in building ideas, and especially in formatting them well for use on the site.
>>
>>17478145
I have two ideas floating around my head that I want to write as SCPs. But yeah, the community interaction aspect is what I'm dreading. I don't mind having my work graded by upvotes and downvotes, I can handle that fine. I just don't really like publicly discussing things, especially something I've worked on. I just kind of want to write it and publish it and not have to talk to anybody about it. But there's all stuff about the Sandbox and feedback or whatever. I dunno. It seems awkward. For now I'll just lurk and plan.

>>17478151
A Tupac CD that reveals the identity of specific criminals with new songs. If you google "max landis SCP" it'll come up.
>>
>>17478180
I understand, but the irc is, I swear, by and large really accepting. I'd definitely take what, for you, is your final draft and invite some people to give it a once over. I get where you're coming from but they can really help.

Part of the problem posting to SCP these days, as an example, is not being redundant. As they near 3000+ entries, presenting an idea that's really unique becomes a tad more difficult. The regulars, as an example, can point out if you're treading on too well trodden a path.

Another example, in one of mine I wanted to use an animated gif. But it was really too large for the core picture. It was a simple solution, but I hadn't thought of it; someone recommended I embed it in a drop down. A little thing, but that's the kind of help they can provide.
>>
>>17478215
I understand. I know they'll be helpful and that to get a good result you need feedback. It's not even so much negative feedback I'm worried about. I just expect I'll find the process of discussing my ideas/work with other people to be a bit awkward and embarrassing. Even if they love it. I just have a bit of an aversion to putting myself out there, especially on sites where my comments and such will never be deleted. It's not a huge deal just not very pleasant to me personally.
>>
>>17478233
Understood!
>>
>>17477682
Uhhh m8 i don't want to burst ur bubble but to get the best experience out of the SCP 001 choices your ment to read a lot more beforehand then go to them.
>>
>>17478320
Yeah, I'm sure they're funner that way since they're fairly cross-referenced and meta. I skipped parts of it because it was boring. I'll probably go back and have another look at them all once I'm more familiar with SCPs in general.
>>
I'm with a few other anons in preferring the simpler ones that are just "off" or stuff that shouldn't exist. I don't even mean that world-ending ones are bad, but stupidly intricate items that require loads of explanation are the least interesting, SCP works better the less lore is involved.

I think a few popular ones are very overrated, but that's down to taste so I'm fine with it. But, for example, the one about the chick who needs to be tortured all day or the devil will pop out is so one-note that I don't think it deserves that length of article or that amount of praise.

I did write two of my own, but neither had a particularly strong idea so never tried to put them on the site. I really appreciate the site's selectivity though, we can disagree on what's good but no article there is boring.
>>
File: tumblr_o3blbpq7WF1rg590io6_1280.jpg (195KB, 714x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3blbpq7WF1rg590io6_1280.jpg
195KB, 714x1000px
Here have a picture of a tank crushing a stupid monster. (pic related to thread)
>>
>>17477887
Or kidnapped by them for questioning.
>>
>>17478118

Yes writing.

I still create the characters and settings as well as leaving the cases open so the players can go into any directions they like during the mission. My particular game takes place in the 40's so I also have to adapt the stories to the time period.
>>
>>17477416
Well, most of the SCPs are written by everyone, so inconsistencies are bound to happen. They even have joke SCPs. I just treat every SCP that follows even just a little amount of logic as a seperate story, especially the rebar scp and the one where it basically makes any type of liquid. Hell, even the alternate dimension that's hell-bent on destroying humanity is somewhat logical, except for the fact that every attempt the alternate dimension made doesn't work.
>>
>>17478180
This is just incredibly silly.
They have Tupac's ghost and it solves crimes.
Seems like it should be a J entry.
>>
>>17477818
>>17477846
I've always figured the SCP is connected with the Government, (though they're most probably a paramilitary-esque type organization. Are they???) And would also some private corporations partnering with them to help provide financial backing.

Also from the picture in: >>17478398

It'd be safe to say the SCP is also partnered with the official-government military in a way, or they have their own private armies (composed of PMCs, mercenaries and maybe even hired contract killers who wouldn't hesitate to hurt a child) and military.
>>
>>17477574
Wait, are you actually trying to read all of them? There's like 3000 pages on top of other things on the site. I usually only bother reading pages if they're rated like at least 80+.
>>
>>17477416
>SCP in ownership of several powerful artifacts and tools that push boundaries of what humans perceive of the universe

You would think they have at least a few with powers significant enough to provide them the necessary equipment to prolong such insane experiments and construction

Item duplication is surely invaluable to them
>>
>>17478145
What was the one that was rejected about?
>>
>>17477491
>some of the stories feel like they're very inconsistent.

That's the classic comic book problem. Too many authors writing one universe.

In fact I'm sure I read somewhere that the owner of the site said that each SCP should be treated as its own canon, otherwise it would be incredibly inconsistent.
>>
>>17481197
I barely even remember. It was clearly related to the nuclear attack on Nagasaki which was one of the big strikes people held against it. That was felt to be too obvious a hook/crutch for the story.
>>
>>17477641
at least there's some that can't be contained

like the graffiti owl SCP http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1155

>can't be contained
>just spawns anywhere and stays there for a couple months
>only way to stop it for a while is too cover it up

Either way the SCP is not as active as it used to be
>>
>>17481246
Sounds pretty shitty. I've read some great stories built on concepts that were considered "too obvious."
>>
>>17481288
Well, like I said, that was only one of the issues people took with it.
>>
File: 1419738476265.jpg (98KB, 789x960px) Image search: [Google]
1419738476265.jpg
98KB, 789x960px
>series 1 SCP
>mostly good examples of original science fiction, or at least really neat ideas
>as time goes on, new entries are either 100% unstoppable end-of-world tier destruction machines or what amounts to people just dying in their sleep with little to no lore or world explanation
>>
>>17481407
Occasionally you see a safe SCP. Safe ones are always the best ones.
>>
>>17481218
>That's the classic comic book problem. Too many authors writing one universe.

We need a Geoff Johns or somebody to come in and clean up the cannon I guess.
>>
>>17481407
>newfags keep coming in and changing how the old SCPs usually operate
>giving them lore instead of just keeping their backstory a vague mystery
>the lore never makes sense compared to how the SCP usually functions or originally functions
>mfw almost all the old SCPs can talk now
>>
>>17482393
I just want more stories of 507 if new people are going to mess around with older ones. Some of the dimensions he visits are great.
>>
>>17482433
>every time SCP-507 goes to another dimension that's too freaky for him he just sits in the corner and waits it out

he's great
>>
>>17482393
It's kind of weird, you go back to revisit some of the old ones and find out they've been neutralized since your last read.
>>
I have a challenge for you gyus: Create a SCP rivals in the same universe and try to co-relate each foundations in the same universe :)
>>
>>17482655
You could ever suggest a good name (and respective acronym) to that new rival foundation. I think we have space for this and try to turn this universe more fun.

Two foundations with different specimens and different ways of register inmates (based on their power, capacities, and so on)
>>
>>17482678
Only 3 levels is just not enough. We have room for more detailed levels.
>>
>>17477480
I like this idea best
>>
>>17477627
that's fucking cool
>>
>>17482688
Don't they have 4? Safe, Euclid, Keter, and Thaumiel?
>>
>>17483294
There's another one called apolycon or something
>>
>>17477743
SCP-2317
Is that the one you're talking about or what?
>>
File: help.png (258KB, 995x497px) Image search: [Google]
help.png
258KB, 995x497px
>>17477962
Well obviously. The whole SCP idea was started on /x/, SCP 173
>>
>>17481740
The thing is, there is no canon. Only what you decide as your own headcanon
>>
>>17485272
Apollyon.
There's also Terminated And Neutralized,
>>
>>17485301
Yep, that's the one. I love that one.
>>
>>17477480
this is a pretty cool concept, and works with the SCP style
headcannon now
>>
>>17477498
>lightly editing stolen material makes writing easier
no shit
>>
>>17477416
shitpostcentral _-_-_-_-_-_ [SPC]
>>
>>17477627
Um
Can i play?
>>
>>17477416
wasn't there something about only a few hundreds of the scps on the wiki exsist within the cannon of the universe or some shit like that?
>>
>>17477474
This.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.